Topic: Food

By fluffy grue in Meta
Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 09:37:54 PM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

For as long as I have been here, there have been people wanting to post recipes, and other stories about food.

Although another section is not strictly necessary, why not a topic?

Reasons for a food topic:
  • At least 99% of the K5 readership has to eat
  • Cooking is a lot like programming, only it's a lot harder to fix your mistakes
  • Cooking is a great way to get away from the computer for a while
  • Cook a man a fish, and he eats a piece of fish. Teach a man to cook fish, and he learns to make it himself! (He may not actually go on to make it himself, but at least it's a start.)
  • If you learn what goes into your food, you learn to appreciate it better.
  • When you control the ingredients, you can make it as healthy or as decadent as you want!
  • Cooking is cheaper than eating out or buying prepared foods -- important in today's economy!
  • Ramen is versatile
  • Two words: pecan pancakes
  • Searching for food stories and recipes is currently a major pain, but a topic would make future recipe searches much easier.
  • It beats armchair analysis of the Iraq situation
So please, register your desire for a food topic! Thank you.

Food?

o programmin g
o mistakes
o versatile
o pecan pancakes
o desire
o Also by fluffy grue

Topic: Food | 128 comments (109 topical, 19 editorial, 0 hidden)
I think an article on cookies is in order (n/t) (4.50 / 4) (#2)
by leviramsey on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 05:21:38 PM EST

Good idea... (4.00 / 1) (#61)
by xriso on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 09:31:18 PM EST

For starters, cut and paste these into the story submission box: C is for cookie ... and cookie is for me.
*** Quits: xriso:#kuro5hin (Forever)
No (2.62 / 8) (#3)
by gazbo on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 05:26:09 PM EST

It's lame. I enjoy reading recipes, and people can post them in diaries. However, I see no reason to have them posted to a prominent section, to live for weeks whilst attracting no good discussion.

The occasional MLP to lots of recipes perhaps, but a topic? Please. There's nothing to discuss; buy a recipe book. Review a recipe book and advise people to buy it. But not dribs and drabs of recipes.

-----
Topless, revealing, nude pics and vids of Zora Suleman! Upskirt and down blouse! Cleavage!
Hardcore ZORA SULEMAN pics!

Note I said topic (4.25 / 4) (#5)
by fluffy grue on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 05:27:47 PM EST

Do you understand the difference between topic and section?

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Makes no difference (3.25 / 4) (#42)
by gazbo on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 07:01:29 PM EST

The fact is, it'll still encourage a deluge of recipe posts. My getting confused between topics and sections makes little difference - the 'occasional mlp' to which I referred would indeed fit best in a food topic, however the introduction of a food topic would spawn far too many articles.

Kuro5hin - freedom and politics, from the kitchen.

-----
Hardcore ZORA SULEMAN pics!

But there already IS a deluge of recipe posts (4.50 / 2) (#44)
by fluffy grue on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 07:07:58 PM EST

There's one in the queue right now, even. And it's not as though having the "digital identity" or "science" sections have done a whole lot to spawn those, and it's not as though the recipe stories are getting dumped or anything.

Why would a "deluge" of recipes (which have more to do with the site than, say, Iraq) be worse than the actual deluge of stories about, say, Iraq?

Ah yes, (3.75 / 4) (#51)
by gazbo on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 07:39:03 PM EST

But I'd have opposed the creation of freedom and politics if it were to be created just now to house all the Iraq stories.

Just as I am opposing the creation of the food topic despite fitting articles in the queue.

Yes, there are food articles in the queue. Yes, they are getting voted up. No, I don't want to give carte blanche to people who would do such a thing.

I am just exercising my right to voice my opinion; simply giving me evidence that some people disagree will not change my mind. While I have a voice I will protest K5 turning into deliasmith.com - if the majority disagree then so be it. It's not like I'm threatening to do a Jin Wicked style walk out for fucks sake.

-----
Hardcore ZORA SULEMAN pics!

Strange, but nice (2.25 / 4) (#9)
by Platy on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 05:38:43 PM EST

Though it would at least seem a bit strange to me to find a cooking section/topic on a page which describes itself as "technology and culture, from the trenches" - why not? I'd definitely like it. Cooking is an art, cooking is culture and you can discuss about recipes.
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I.
Depends on your definition of culture. (4.00 / 1) (#65)
by Canar on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 10:49:57 PM EST

Many foods have culture; some have bacterial, some have historical, some have social. Of course there might be stupid post-flooding. But then again, there's always intelligent vote-flooding to counteract that. This is K5, after all.

how about (4.33 / 9) (#10)
by farl on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 05:39:08 PM EST

romance, lifestyles, clothing, fashion, furniture and a host of other topics that could be included too.

Maybe rusty needs to hammer down a bit clearer what he wants out of this site. If he doesn't mind, well lets add all the sections we can think of and agree with.

Farl
k5@sketchwork.com
www.sketchwork.com
If you see a need for such topics... (4.00 / 4) (#15)
by fluffy grue on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 05:44:03 PM EST

then by all means, propose them. I haven't seen many articles on any of those topics, however, but you can't swing a dead gerbil here without hitting a recipe.

Remember, topics are the minor things. Sections are the major things. I'm proposing a topic, not a section.

AFC (3.00 / 1) (#120)
by farl on Fri Oct 25, 2002 at 09:45:48 AM EST

Maybe a section called AFC (Away From Computer) and inside it put everything in the lifestyles, recipes, and stuff we are supposed to do if we ever get away from our IV-drip by our computers.

Farl
k5@sketchwork.com
www.sketchwork.com
Romance. (none / 0) (#122)
by haflinger on Sun Oct 27, 2002 at 06:28:07 PM EST

It's a really big topical area in the diaries section. Maybe it would creep more onto the main pages if it was a topic.

There've already been a few, I think.

Did people from the future send George Carlin back in time to save rusty and K5? - leviramsey

Sure, why not? (3.66 / 3) (#11)
by janra on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 05:40:16 PM EST

People talk about it enough, might as well not make them shoehorn the stories into other topics where they don't quite fit.

Discuss the art and craft of writing
That's the problem with world domination... Nobody is willing to wait for it anymore, work slowly towards it, drink more and enjoy the ride more.
Why not just put it in Humor? (3.75 / 12) (#13)
by DLWormwood on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 05:41:19 PM EST

I mean, it's already represented by a banana, after all. The choice of using a fruit for the unofficial "food" topic has a certain a-peel. (-;
Those who complain about affect & effect on k5 should be disemvoweled
Yes (4.87 / 8) (#14)
by hamsterboy on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 05:43:54 PM EST

Despite all the negative feedback from the posting minority, recipes and food-related articles seem to make it to the front page anyways. Why not give them a topic? They could go under 'Culture'.

For those that would argue that cooking is related neither to technology nor culture, nor is it from the trenches, I would say that neither is a lot of the stuff that comes through the front page. Pregnancy, anyone? K5 is becoming less a purely political forum and more an all-around lifestyle blog with political overtones (kind of like dinner with your in-laws). Deal with it.

-- Hamster

Hamster

"Becoming?" (4.33 / 3) (#18)
by fluffy grue on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 05:53:40 PM EST

It was never a political forum to begin with. It just went through a big political phase a while ago which it never fully recovered from.

Hah! (4.00 / 1) (#39)
by J'raxis on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 06:45:59 PM EST

Among the articles listed, there is one about a Napster petition, one about Echelon, one about law enforcement and the Internet, and one about patents. Sounds like there were plenty of political articles then.

— The Raxis

[ J’raxis·Com | Liberty in your lifetime ]

But it's politics of technology (5.00 / 2) (#41)
by fluffy grue on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 06:52:04 PM EST

not armchair analysis of Afghanistan/Iraq/GWB's anal fisting/Bronson Pinchot/etc. :) And note that they're in the vast minority...

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Yes, unfortunately. (4.00 / 2) (#49)
by Inoshiro on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 07:33:39 PM EST

I'm all for having an elquent discussion of politics, but the K5 politics thing has been horrible. I've read the site much less lately because of it (well, that and being really, really poor for a while until I transitioned to my latest job, and strapped for time).

Hopefully enough tech/other articles can turn the tide.

[ イノシロ ]
As someone with UID 9175 (4.66 / 3) (#50)
by Inoshiro on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 07:34:40 PM EST

I will consider your memory of the early times to be not quite as sharp as UID 306 (or 83 :)).

[ イノシロ ]
w00t w00t (4.00 / 1) (#117)
by Miniluv on Wed Oct 23, 2002 at 05:02:49 PM EST

The seemingly long silent Inoshiro has whipped it out for everyone to see. Now we're all positive it's merely small, limp and rather unattractive.

My UID is rather low too, especially since a large block of the UIDs between yours and mine are no longer active. More than that I was one of the hyper active story posters, commenters, raters and generally obnoxiously loud people who helped shape K5. Does that mean my recollection of his opinion having a lot of merit is also wrong?

"Too much wasabi and you'll be crying like you did at the last ten minutes of The Terminator" - Alton Brown

hehe (3.00 / 1) (#20)
by Platy on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 05:57:47 PM EST

I really liked the "kind of like dinner with your in-laws" comparisson :-)
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I.
Deal with it? (4.00 / 3) (#56)
by Korimyr the Rat on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 08:42:50 PM EST

That's the very reason I enjoy Kuro5hin. Politics alone quickly becomes dreary and repetitive. As does Culture, alone, since usually there's very little to get the blood pumping and the emotions roiling.

"Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein
Founding Member of 'Retarded Monkeys Against the Restriction of Weapons Privileges'
Good Eats? (3.00 / 1) (#118)
by FortKnox on Thu Oct 24, 2002 at 11:16:09 AM EST

Ever seen the FoodNetwork show "Good Eats"? Its the science and the background of cooking. Cooking can be a 'nerdy' topic. It all depends on how you present the food and recipes.
Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
wow (4.54 / 11) (#16)
by Stick on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 05:48:59 PM EST

"Cook a man a fish, and he eats a piece of fish. Teach a man to cook fish, and he learns to make it himself!"

You really don't understand men.

Stick, thine posts bring light to mine eyes, tingles to my loins. Yea, each moment I sit, my monitor before me, waiting, yearning, needing your prose to make the moment complete. - Joh3n

This sounds good to me. (4.62 / 8) (#21)
by Dr Wily on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 06:00:47 PM EST

It would save me some -1 votes, though, if people were to understand that just a recipe does not a good "food" story make.

I want either excruciating detail or an entire meal, or better yet several recipes with a particular theme (such as investigating the cuisine of a particular culture/planet).

I agree (4.00 / 1) (#109)
by MyrddinE on Tue Oct 22, 2002 at 01:51:43 AM EST

Which is why I'm creating many recipes under my diary, then will create a Culture/Food post eventually summing up what I have learned about cooking, with links to my recipes.

I agree (4.00 / 1) (#110)
by MyrddinE on Tue Oct 22, 2002 at 03:54:16 AM EST

Missed one reason (4.42 / 7) (#22)
by kphrak on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 06:01:35 PM EST

And that is: It'll keep all the literal-minded from voting down perfectly good articles because they don't think it's "Technology and Culture".

That said, I'll repeat my assertion that food is as much "Culture" as art or music; most of us have had our first introduction to different cultures through their food. One of my college profs said that you could guess at the age of a society from the food they eat (he used the wide variety of Chinese food available as his evidence). While I don't know if I'd go that far, I think there should be no doubt that food is cultural and therefore appropriate to K5.

+1FP for a timely and well-reasoned article. I especially enjoyed the last reason. :)

Describe yourself in your sig!
American computer programmer, living in Portland, OR.

Especially yogurt (n/t) (4.00 / 1) (#78)
by epepke on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 05:37:30 AM EST

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.--Terry Pratchett

Topic? I want a whole site about this. (4.85 / 7) (#23)
by squigly on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 06:02:33 PM EST

K6. K5 for food.  With sections: Breakfast, Lunch, Starter, Main Course, Dessert, Snacks and Drinks.

Translation (5.00 / 1) (#48)
by evilpenguin on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 07:31:48 PM EST

In 1337 speak, '6' = 'G'.

KuroGin?  Sounds high quality!
# nohup cat /dev/dsp > /dev/hda & killall -9 getty

I'll take some KuroGin [n/t] (3.00 / 1) (#52)
by Matt Oneiros on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 07:40:45 PM EST

Lobstery is not real
signed the cow
when stating that life is merely an illusion
and that what you love is all that's real
And wouldn't... (3.00 / 1) (#86)
by opalhawk on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 03:50:12 PM EST

And wouldn't the perfect place to post your favorite martini recipie be Kuro6in? Perhaps you prefer Kuro6in and tonic.... I'll shut up now.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.
-Nietzsche
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Yes (4.42 / 7) (#24)
by illustro1a4 on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 06:04:39 PM EST

This isn't an idea that fluffy grue just came up with, but has been discussed in the diary section for awhile.  Remember, it's not a recipe section but a food section.  The algorithms of building dinner are only a part of the food experience and only part of the discussion(s). K5 is not just "technology from the trenches" but includes culture, and food is an important part of culture (and culture a critical part of yogurt).

Vote yes if you've ever look in a kitchen cabinet and wondered what others eat.

illustro
Get the facts about marijuana and the true cost of prohibition.

Reason Against (3.33 / 6) (#28)
by kholmes on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 06:26:26 PM EST

What kind of discussion can we possibly have to "I like Steak"?

I mean, this is a discussion site, no? So it seems we want articles that we can discuss in the forum. Articles that aren't worthy of discussion, should best be posted somewhere else, IMHO. I'm sure Google can pull up a recipe site somewhere else on the web, if you're interested in that.

If you treat people as most people treat things and treat things as most people treat people, you might be a Randian.

Lots of discussion (3.25 / 4) (#29)
by squigly on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 06:30:05 PM EST

One just has to write about steak in a manner that will generate discussion, including topics like how does it tasste best, and whether you actually can taste the difference between local and imported meaat.

Variations (4.75 / 4) (#30)
by fluffy grue on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 06:32:04 PM EST

"Wow, that recipe sounds pretty good... I have a little trick though. Try coating the steak with mustard seed before you grill it."

Recipes are not a static thing. There are little variations which can make a world of difference. People can also share tips and tricks (for example, there are lots of little tricks people can share to make gyoza and sushi not as difficult to prepare), or give health/seasoning/freezing/storage tips, and so on.

Just because you can't think of any discussion doesn't mean there wouldn't be any.

no way (4.00 / 4) (#37)
by thekubrix on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 06:41:53 PM EST

i think the author makes a good comparison of cooking and programming, theres so many different ways to do it, and so many ways to fuck it up. It would be interesting to see how other people approach the same puzzle.....especially when getting insights from those around the world.

Further input (4.00 / 2) (#38)
by kphrak on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 06:44:34 PM EST

The steak article did not merely say "I like steak". You're right, if it was that way there would have been no discussion and even the epicures would have voted it down. But the article said "I like steak, and this is how I cook it....", and then "Anyone else? Corrections? Comments? Further ideas?". Several people commented on the steak article, and posted a few tricks they use, seasoning recipes, and what they think works best...and it was informative. Granted, a steak article probably won't spark any major flamewars (maybe vegetarianism vs. everything else?), and tumeric may find it harder to troll food-related items, but that's fine by me!

Discussion is not all cut from the same cloth; sometimes it's serious, sometimes it's humorous, sometimes it's angry, and sometimes it's relaxed and open. I personally enjoy the latter due to its higher signal-to-noise ratio, although there must be a place for the others as well. Virtually everything, even flamebait, can be discussed intelligently if the participants are willing. I understand the concern that K5 could degenerate into a recipe site, but I don't believe that will happen; if there are too many food articles, people, including myself, will start voting them down, just like most of us do now with any article that mentions Iraq. :)

Describe yourself in your sig!
American computer programmer, living in Portland, OR.

"Meat is murder!" perhaps? (nt) (4.00 / 1) (#62)
by ajf on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 09:40:42 PM EST

"I have no idea if it is true or not, but given what you read on the Web, it seems to be a valid concern." -jjayson
This is a blog. (none / 0) (#127)
by haflinger on Sun Oct 27, 2002 at 07:59:22 PM EST

That is, a weblog.

Stories don't have to spawn discussion. More discussion does not mean a better story. The most discussion is generated by trolls. Let's just say that we're not trying to encourage trolls, right?

I'm all for it. (4.40 / 5) (#34)
by Edgy Loner on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 06:37:55 PM EST

I like the recipe and cooking articles. They have some good ideas, and make a nice break from all the politics and philosphy stuff that's so popular here.

This is not my beautiful house.
This is not my beautiful knife.
Section (3.16 / 6) (#35)
by jxg on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 06:39:59 PM EST

Why not just replace the diary ghetto with a food section?

ew. (5.00 / 1) (#107)
by majubma on Mon Oct 21, 2002 at 03:40:23 PM EST

ew.

EEW!

--Thaddeus Q. Thaddelonium, the most crookedest octopus lawyer in the West.

If nothing else... (3.50 / 4) (#45)
by CheeseburgerBrown on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 07:14:16 PM EST

...this clearly demonstrates the need for a Sections section, where we can hash out just this sort of thing.

The opinions expressed in the comments above are not those of the author; they have been rented for the occasion of this writing from a neutral third party.<
That's what Meta is for (5.00 / 3) (#59)
by fluffy grue on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 08:48:59 PM EST

and where this article is going :)

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

This brings up an important question... (4.66 / 3) (#46)
by drivers on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 07:20:04 PM EST

What exactly is the difference between a Topic and a Section?

Simple (4.75 / 4) (#58)
by fluffy grue on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 08:47:18 PM EST

People don't understand what topics are for, while people apparently do for sections, since they spend so long debating which section something should be in... ;)

More seriously, section is the kind of story, while topic is the subject matter. Unfortunately, sections were tacked on to K5 without much exploration of what the sections should be. Also, in the original sections idea, it was going to be the users (rather than the author) who decided which section something belonged in, but for whatever reason, rusty never got around to implementing it that way (and at this point I don't think he cares for the original idea anymore anyway).

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

I disagree with the Cooking -> Programming anal (4.00 / 3) (#47)
by BinaryTree on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 07:25:28 PM EST

It vaguely makes sense. However, if cooking is like programming, then it could also be argued that almost any kind of constructive/engineering activity is like programming.

This is true (4.33 / 3) (#57)
by fluffy grue on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 08:43:08 PM EST

I find that improvisational cooking tickles the same part of my brain as programming, but so does any other kind of freeform problem-solving. Following a recipe isn't like programming at all, though... it's more like systems administration. Which is still something which appeals to many people here. :)

Well.. (4.00 / 3) (#74)
by carbon on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 02:17:32 AM EST

That's because almost any kind of constructive/engineering activity is a kind of art (or close enough that I don't care), and so is cooking. You can write the engine for the next great RPG, or a shopping cart system, and you can cook a banquet or you can cook Mac n' Cheese (no disrespect to shopping cart systems or Mac n' Cheese intended).

Wasn't Dr. Claus the bad guy on Inspector Gadget? - dirvish
Motion (4.00 / 4) (#53)
by br284 on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 07:53:36 PM EST

I move that we replace Media with Food.

-Chris

Only if... (5.00 / 3) (#82)
by Meatbomb on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 10:50:39 AM EST

...we also replace Freedom and Politics with Grandfather Clocks.

_______________

Good News for Liberal Democracy!

Better yet.. (4.00 / 1) (#90)
by Work on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 07:02:48 PM EST

replace all iraq stories with discussions of cous-cous.

Not without customization (4.60 / 5) (#54)
by Eloquence on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 07:58:07 PM EST

I can see that many people would find good use for such a topic (I think making it a section would stretch it a bit, though). This doesn't include myself, and currently, K5 is reaching a somewhat definable audience: the politically progressive (libertarian/liberal/socialist) technology-minded individual. Sure, politics stories can get out of hand sometimes, especially after, say, the largest terrorist attack in history, or before a major war. During these periods, there will be polarization between people who absolutely do not want to talk about the subject because they think it's useless, or that the bad men will go away if you ignore them, and between those who feel that discussion is necessary, if only for their own peace of mind.

A food topic is less affected by current events (I can see some political stories ending up there, but I refer to stuff like recipes now), and there will be a permanent number of people who simply don't want to see these stories. The solution is simple: Add an "Ignore this topic" link to each story, and to the user preferences. This, of course, needs to be implemented in code. Before it is, I will vote down food stories on the principle that I find them annoying and uninteresting, and will certainly not want them to have their own topic. Sorry, but back in the days of Usenet [1], there were newsgroups for this kind of stuff, and a program called MealMaster you could use to automatically add recipes to a local database. Nowadays you can still find thousands of free MealMaster format recipes on the net, and there's software for managing them. There's the whole "collective experience" thing, but if you don't want to take part in this, a special food topic simply has little new value.

On a side note, I would not be surprised if the nationality of participants in food stories is much more uniform. When it comes to ingredients and the specifics of cooking technique, typical school English doesn't help you much. And then there's this tiny little problem of units -- until the US fully adopt the metric system, it's somewhat irresponsible to discuss complex issues like pasta. Who knows what kind of tragic errors might ensue ..

[1] Sometime back in 1999 I read in a Usenet post that Usenet was dead. So it must be true.
Copyright law is bad: infoAnarchy Pleasure is good: Origins of Violence
spread the word!

Build a man a fire... (4.50 / 6) (#55)
by cleo on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 08:29:18 PM EST

... and he's warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Great topic idea, and no disrespect intended.  I saw this bit of humor recently and it was just too much to keep to myself.

bad idea (4.00 / 3) (#60)
by jolt rush soon on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 09:23:56 PM EST

"When you control the ingredients, you can make it as healthy or as decadent as you want!"

i don't know about you, but with me, this is a recipe for disaster. i'll end up eating raw butter.

other than that, i hope to eat some nice home made foods some time soon with recipes from the internet. preferably something involving rice. and not butter.
Subosc — free electronic music.

and.... (3.50 / 4) (#64)
by /dev/trash on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 10:10:39 PM EST

What is wrong with raw butter?  It's the most pure food you can get.....after honey.

Updated 02/20/2004
New Site
You mean "bee vomit" (nt) (4.33 / 6) (#66)
by fluffy grue on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 10:52:11 PM EST

well yeah. (3.75 / 4) (#68)
by /dev/trash on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 11:54:17 PM EST

but it is so yummy. And it's the only food to never spoil.

Updated 02/20/2004
New Site
Not true (4.40 / 5) (#71)
by fluffy grue on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 01:29:23 AM EST

Fungus can grow in it, or anything sugar/syrupy like it too (such as grenadine). Also, ants get into it.

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

then that's bad honey (4.83 / 6) (#91)
by florin on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 07:14:01 PM EST

Real honey, made by healthy bees, actually kills fungae and bacteria. If you put a dead mouse in a jar and cover it with real honey, it's going to be preserved intact for a long time. Actually, it gets mummyfied because the honey sucks the water out of it.
If a dead mouse is too distasteful, try with an apple. Of course, apples do not rot, but it's interesting nevertheless to see it mummyfied. Not to mention that you can eat the result and it's actually delicious, which is not true with the mouse experiment. :-)

If you're out in the woods, and you get your skin cut really bad, and you don't have alcohol to disinfect the wound, if you happen to have a small jar of honey in your backpack then that's an ok substitute for alcohol. Not like the real thing though, but it kills enough germs to lower your chances of getting a nasty infection.

If you see fungus growing on honey, then that's some sort of honey that never saw the light of the beehive. ;-)

Only food? (none / 0) (#124)
by haflinger on Sun Oct 27, 2002 at 06:38:19 PM EST

How about garlic?

Mmm, yum. :)

u dum liberal (1.20 / 20) (#63)
by turmeric on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 09:57:26 PM EST

food is for the common people, this is about technology

really ? (4.00 / 5) (#72)
by dvchaos on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 01:39:44 AM EST

personally I thought food was for people who didn't want to die. making it nice is optional.

RAR.to - anonymous proxy server!
I know of such a thing! (4.57 / 7) (#67)
by Vader82 on Fri Oct 18, 2002 at 11:42:37 PM EST

Because I wrote it!

This summer I finally sat down and wrote my recipe archiving site in PHP with mysql.  Its called ReciPHP and its GPLed.

Check out the current site here.

Check out the sources and whatnot here.

Happy sharing!!

Need food? Like sharing? http://reciphp.vader82.net/

Good down home cooking from Strom? (4.25 / 4) (#81)
by willj on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 10:38:57 AM EST

Name: Fetus
Added by StromThurmond1701D on 2002-06-28.

Description: Child, pre-natal.

Rated: 1

Ingredients:

• 1 Cup stem cells
  • 3 Tbsp. hgahugl
  • 3 Tbsp. gahsgd
  • 32 Tbsp. gfjlk
  • 31243 Tbsp. GDS
It could be an interesting site but if a recipe like this is going to be posted what is going to keep some troll from posting a bunch of recipes that could be poisoness or just plain taste bad.

Sorry its late (none / 0) (#125)
by Vader82 on Sun Oct 27, 2002 at 07:35:34 PM EST

Thats what the moderation system is for.  You sign up, you can then rate recipes.  I thought about it, and that was the system that scaled best in my opinion.  I believe that the child pre natal recipe has just about a 0 score.
Need food? Like sharing? http://reciphp.vader82.net/
We were about writing one ourselves (3.50 / 2) (#111)
by Quique on Tue Oct 22, 2002 at 04:31:46 AM EST

Whoohoo!
We at the Sindominio GNU Users Group were discussing about writing such a system.
We've been discussing the features we want it to have, but didn't start coding yet.
Hopefully your code will serve us well :-)

Thanks,
 Quique

PHPRecipeBook (4.00 / 2) (#114)
by Quique on Wed Oct 23, 2002 at 06:03:34 AM EST

We've found yet another recipes archiving software written in php: PHPRecipeBook.

CVS (none / 0) (#126)
by Vader82 on Sun Oct 27, 2002 at 07:37:25 PM EST

It looks like you guys are non-native english speakers, so if you check the CVS of the site you can get the source with the start of translations.  Its currently got english and italian.
Need food? Like sharing? http://reciphp.vader82.net/
random bits (4.40 / 5) (#73)
by squidinkcalligraphy on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 01:47:43 AM EST

Give a man a fire, he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, he will be warm for a lifetime.

Perhaps Kellogs could sponsor the food section of kuro5hin, and call it `Special K5'

An identity card is better that no identity at all

More random (4.50 / 2) (#79)
by JanneM on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 06:27:49 AM EST

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he is sunk by an american submarine.
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.
Teach a man to fish (4.00 / 2) (#84)
by ZanThrax on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 01:44:31 PM EST

and he'll move to Newfoundland and go broke.

As told to me by a refugee Newfoundlander (known around here - as well as out there - as simply a "newfy")

If Bush can attack Iraq because they might do something to Americans someday, can I attack Bush because he might invade Canada someday? I figure I'm as entit

That would be "Newfie." [n/t] (none / 0) (#123)
by haflinger on Sun Oct 27, 2002 at 06:29:05 PM EST

no (3.87 / 8) (#75)
by Phantros on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 03:06:06 AM EST

It's a lot harder to discuss food than most things. Sure, you can talk about different meal traditions around the world, but does that require a topic/section? And recipes are worse still, there's very little you can say about one except perhaps "yum." Are there even enough of the stories to reasonably fill a topic/section?

There are many fine food sites online. Does K5 need to be everything to everyone?

4Literature - 2,000 books online and Scoop to discuss them with

maybe for you (4.66 / 3) (#83)
by speek on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 12:53:14 PM EST

Interested people can talk about how to improve or modify the recipies for various purposes. Where to get ingredients, how to prepare, etc. If you check out the actual food stories, there's plenty of discussion going on.

"For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings. And, folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable, and

Uh... (2.00 / 2) (#89)
by Work on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 07:01:25 PM EST

yeah. and here is all that anyone can say about linux: "blech" or "yay!"

But I like food, (4.50 / 2) (#93)
by organism on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 08:08:32 PM EST

And I like k5 for providing me with recipies I wouldn't usually consider. It'd be quite undemocratic to ignore those whose experience is enriched by cooking stories. --ALex

Hm (3.00 / 3) (#104)
by CaptainSuperBoy on Sun Oct 20, 2002 at 01:57:16 PM EST

Yeah, the food articles don't get much discussion but everyone seems to like them just the same. They sure get voted up. I say, if that's what most of the readership wants then go for it. Who knows, maybe in a month we'll have another FP article, "Change the food topic to 'USians.' We need a 'USians' topic!"

jimmysquid.com - I take pictures.
I like it (4.75 / 8) (#76)
by bugmaster on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 03:43:19 AM EST

We can put all these "you are too fat, you stupid fat loser" articles in the same section/topic. The irony will be -- dare I say it ? -- delicious.

*runs for cover*
>|<*:=

great article! I love it! (1.33 / 3) (#77)
by johwsun on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 05:14:29 AM EST

Here here! More pancakes for all! (3.75 / 4) (#80)
by cavalier on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 08:44:56 AM EST

Yes! Yes! More recipes! I need my pecan pancake fix! Just! One! Fix!

Power to the people! (3.60 / 5) (#85)
by fluffy grue on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 02:42:34 PM EST

Victory! Now I'll have to write an article on hearty soups.

YES (3.00 / 2) (#99)
by daemargu on Sun Oct 20, 2002 at 10:11:59 AM EST

my mother makes the chunkiest nicest soup to eat with bread, but i don't know how.

save me!

Politics Out, Food In (5.00 / 13) (#87)
by Idioteque on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 04:27:32 PM EST

Well now that Everything is back in the section menu, and Freedom & Politics is now Politics, I say we slowly start changing Politics to Food. Real tricky like, so no one will notice.

Culture | Folitics | Media
Culture | Foolitics | Media
Culture | Fooditics | Media
Culture | Foodit | Media
Culture | Food | Media

We can then justify the change with that Army marches on its stomach quote and some long winded explanation that no one will read...

I have seen too much; I haven't seen enough - Radiohead
Foolitics (4.33 / 3) (#112)
by andfarm on Tue Oct 22, 2002 at 11:14:55 PM EST

Although `Food' would be a neat section, the possibilities of a `Foolitics' section are just too great to be overlooked.

We need a sex section (4.90 / 11) (#88)
by dipierro on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 04:42:17 PM EST

• At least 50% of the K5 readership has had sex.
  • Sex is a lot like programming, only instead of the managers doing the screwing, it's you.
  • Sex is a great way to get away from the computer for a while
  • Give a man a prostitute, and he smiles for a day. Teach a man how to get laid, and he smiles for a lifetime.
  • If you learn what goes into... Eh, forget it.
  • When you control the ingredients... Ok, this is getting stupid.

Propose it if you like (4.75 / 4) (#92)
by fluffy grue on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 08:00:16 PM EST

But I seriously doubt your first bullet point. :D

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

hey! speak for yourself! ;-P (4.50 / 2) (#94)
by el_guapo on Sat Oct 19, 2002 at 09:54:10 PM EST

i even have 1 little 6 year old rugrat running around to pro^H^H^H^H um, ok, so that really means i haven't been laid in 6 years. nevermind...
mas cerveza, por favor mirrors, manifestos, etc.
I just did propose it... (4.33 / 3) (#100)
by dipierro on Sun Oct 20, 2002 at 12:28:50 PM EST

Though I would like to see the poll results of "have you ever had sex?" C'mon, it *has* to be over 50%...

Proposal (3.50 / 2) (#101)
by fluffy grue on Sun Oct 20, 2002 at 12:54:28 PM EST

I meant, post a meta story with its own poll. That's how things work, apparently.

Also, you didn't say "50% of K5's readers have had sek," but "50% of K5's readers have sex." There's a subtle difference.

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

I said "has had"... (4.00 / 1) (#102)
by dipierro on Sun Oct 20, 2002 at 01:46:01 PM EST

which is probably gramatically incorrect, but what I meant was "have had" then.

Oh, so you did (4.00 / 1) (#103)
by fluffy grue on Sun Oct 20, 2002 at 01:47:11 PM EST

My bad.

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Okay, but (2.50 / 2) (#115)
by kholmes on Wed Oct 23, 2002 at 07:11:10 AM EST

When we start having masculinity contests, I'm out.

No, not because I think I'll loose either. Sheesh.

Sure (1.00 / 1) (#95)
by Lai Lai Boy on Sun Oct 20, 2002 at 01:54:04 AM EST

I'm all for it, if someone puts up a college student guide to cooking.

[Posted from Mozilla Firebird]

It's been done (4.00 / 1) (#97)
by BinaryTree on Sun Oct 20, 2002 at 02:08:01 AM EST

Here you go.

Sure (3.00 / 2) (#96)
by Lai Lai Boy on Sun Oct 20, 2002 at 01:54:55 AM EST

I'm all for it, if someone puts up a college student guide to cooking.

[Posted from Mozilla Firebird]

Already Done (4.66 / 3) (#98)
by Talez on Sun Oct 20, 2002 at 03:18:16 AM EST

I don't know if you missed it but "Guide to Eating on a Shoestring Budget" was written about 5 and a half months ago and was immediately voted to the FP.

Si in Googlis non est, ergo non est
huh? (5.00 / 1) (#113)
by dirvish on Wed Oct 23, 2002 at 01:35:01 AM EST

What? You don't know how to make Top Ramen? You must be a little slow.

Technical Certification Blog, Anti Spam Blog
No! (4.87 / 8) (#105)
by codemonkey_uk on Mon Oct 21, 2002 at 07:39:52 AM EST

Think about it. If you create a food topic, then your mum will start reading K5. And if your mum starts reading K5, how long will it be until she finds your diary? Eh? And what will you do then?
Thad
Too late. (3.50 / 2) (#108)
by Jehreg on Mon Oct 21, 2002 at 07:18:57 PM EST

Seriously, my mother reads K5, especially my diary.

I guess my life = no life...

Here's a recipe (4.33 / 3) (#106)
by nne3jxc on Mon Oct 21, 2002 at 01:25:26 PM EST

Since no one has posted one yet, here's an easy recipe.

Kielbasa Party Appetizer
------------------------
2 lbs Kielbasa, sliced into 1 inch sections
2 cups sugar
2 bottles of Beer
(a nice dark beer works best. but any will work.)

Place all ingredients into a sauce pan and cook at a medium boil, uncovered, for 45 minutes to an hour. Stir occasionally. It's done when the Kielbasa darkens and the liquid thickens to a fairly heavy syrup.
Take off heat and serve. Generally you won't have to worry about keeping this dish warm, since your guests will wolf these down in no time.

You can easily adjust this recipe for more/less using the 1/1/1 ratio of ingredients. (Although if I get up to 5 lbs or more of Kielbasa, I usually drop one cup of sugar.)

A variation (none / 0) (#128)
by dani14 on Tue Nov 12, 2002 at 09:12:10 PM EST

A tasty variation:

1 lb Kolbasa, cooked and cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup yellow mustard

Mix red wine and yellow mustard, bring to a boil. Add kolbasa, return to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook until liquid is reduced to a nice sauce. Serve with crackers.

Sorry it's not more exact, but it's kind of an eyeballing thing. Besides, can you really go wrong with kolbasa?

"The samaritans parable obviously missed the bit where jizzbug ... kicked the crap out of the guy "just to see if he could do it, you know, to test if the law was perfect and all"." -- Craevenwulfe
Parent ]
wtf? (1.00 / 7) (#116)
by Schnapp23 on Wed Oct 23, 2002 at 04:03:58 PM EST

This site's very own tagline is "Technology and Culture from the Trenches", not "Wananbe Martha Stewart recipes by people who can't even cook from the Trenches".

Can't we just leave the recipe crap to people who can actually write good ones?

Food is a part of culture [n/t] (4.00 / 1) (#121)
by ryochiji on Sat Oct 26, 2002 at 04:35:12 AM EST

IlohaMail: Webmail that works.
for the strict herbivores.... (3.50 / 2) (#119)
by shftleft on Thu Oct 24, 2002 at 12:51:44 PM EST

Vegan Food

Topic: Food | 128 comments (109 topical, 19 editorial, 0 hidden)