What Do K5ers Eat During the Holidays?

By tps12 in Meta
Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 09:01:49 PM EST
Tags: Food (all tags)
Food

It's only two days until Thanksgiving, and less than a month until Christmas. Though some of us wish we had a little more time to buy gifts (next year I'm starting in July, I swear), we can't deny that the holidays are here again. While the season means many things to so many people around the world, one aspect of the festivities that can't be overlooked, wherever you come from, is food. We know who you are and where you're from, so here's another chance to share something about yourself. What are your favorite recipes when it's time to come in from the cold and sit down for a big holiday meal?

Most of the year, food is just another tedious part of life: you need to eat like you need to sleep, and while some meals may be better than others, they pretty much all just serve to get calories into your body so that you can keep on living (though this may not apply to some supermodels). But during the holiday season, food is something much more. It becomes a way of getting in touch with your heritage and your culture, a way to carry on family traditions and pass them down to the new generation. When the pilgrims first sat down to eat with the Indians, the food they grew and prepared together served as a way of crossing cultural boundaries altogether. You may love your grandmother's potato chowder, but surely it's more than the warmth and the earthy flavor you enjoy as you shovel it down. It's the effort that goes into its preparation, the love and care and the heady taste of long-standing traditions handed down through the ages.

Turkey is great. Nothing's better than a juicy holiday bird, with all the fixin's. But I've had unforgettable turkeyless holidays with goose, ham, and crown roast as well. There are no limits except the chef's (or chefs'!) imagination. Since I've grown up and started grappling with my own holiday cooking (never missed Mom's gravy more than during the holidays), I've begun finding my own "traditional" dishes. One I've used for the past few years is pumpkin spice pie, a variation on the classic that everyone seems to love. Last year I tried sausage fennel stuffing, and people gobbled it up. Each year I try to make some things from successful holiday meals that have come before, but also try something new.

And a great holiday meal doesn't stop with pie and coffee. There are a billion and one ways to deal with leftovers, from turkey soup to macaroni and cheese with ham. And what about Christmas breakfast? My dad always makes waffles, with a "secret ingredient" (which changes every year). Do you have a magic pancake recipe that just screams "Happy Holidays!"?

It's not limited to Christian or American holidays either. During my years at a progressive preschool and kindergarten, I fell in love with the potato latkes traditionally eaten as part of the Jewish Channukah festival. I'm sure that Kwanzaa and Ramadan have their special dishes, too, and equally sure that each family has its own "twist" on the traditional favorites. Since K5 is a global community, it would be great to hear about some of the foods enjoyed during the holidays in other cultures.

So what do you like for the holidays? Any great recipes you couldn't have Christmas without? Anything that'll add some spice to the same ol' Thanksgiving chow-down? How about out-of-the-ordinary traditions? My family always gets takeout sushi for Christmas Eve, and now I don't think it would be Christmas without some raw fish! Let's swap recipes and ideas, share advice, and (if you'll excuse the expression) talk turkey. What would you bring to a K5 holiday gathering?

Here's wishing everyone on K5 a happy, safe, and tasty holiday season.

The holidays wouldn't be right without...
o eggnog. 30%
o fruitcake. 12%
o a goose. 3%
o chocolate coins. 7%
o a trifle. 3%
o chestnuts. 2%
o yams. 8%
o pizza and root beer. 29%

o who you are
o where you're from
o pumpkin spice pie
o sausage fennel stuffing
o Also by tps12

What Do K5ers Eat During the Holidays? | 157 comments (135 topical, 22 editorial, 0 hidden)
I have no recipes, I just have comments (5.00 / 4) (#1)
by DesiredUsername on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 09:01:53 AM EST

1) When it was just me and Mrs U, we bought some deli turkey and had sandwiches for Thanksgiving. It was amusing, but it wasn't the same.

2) I can't stand cranberry sauce, but that doesn't stop the smell of hand-ground cranberries mixed with orange peels from being a holiday must for me.

3) Mrs U's family has an Xmas food tradition. Actually, they have a whole detailed ritual involving much precise timing. Just one element of the ritual involves what I would call "pigs in a blanket" but they call "wusterbroodjes" (wooster-brook-eez). It's sausage wrapped up in a dough ball and then baked. They eat them dipped in ketchup. Since joining the fam, I've changed their tradition somewhat. For one thing, I refuse to use their odd term, so I call them "punkybrewsters" and I prefer to use mustard.

Play 囲碁

Worstenbroodjes? (5.00 / 2) (#9)
by Cameleon on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 09:40:49 AM EST

Mrs. U wouldn't happen to be Dutch, would she? In that case, they would probably be 'worstenbroodjes', or 'sausage breads', roughly translated. I don't really associate them with christmas though, more with winter as a whole.

Yes she would and yes that's them (5.00 / 1) (#12)
by DesiredUsername on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 09:48:28 AM EST

They make them fully enclosed whereas your pic shows them with open ends, otherwise that's exactly right.

Sorry about the spelling, I called my mother-in-law to get that information (because all I could remember was "punkybrewsters") and she is notoriously bad at that kind of thing.

I'm Dutch too, kinda, but I never heard that word before Mrs U used it, though we did have pigs-in-a-blanket more than once as a kid. Mrs U's family eats them as a break from opening presents on Xmas Eve.

Play 囲碁

They're (none / 0) (#27)
by starsky on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 10:53:10 AM EST

just sausage rolls, right?

Perhaps (none / 0) (#33)
by DesiredUsername on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 11:39:37 AM EST

Sausage inna bun, more like.

Play 囲碁
Well, I'm cuttin' me own throat here... (5.00 / 1) (#42)
by rusty on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 12:13:59 PM EST

...but I can let you have them three for a dollar. How bout a nice meat pie? Made with genuine meat!

____
Not the real rusty
Genuine meat pies (5.00 / 1) (#59)
by wiredog on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 01:33:47 PM EST

Mmmm. The return of Sweeney Todd?

More Math! Less Pr0n! K5 For K5ers!
--Rusty

Um (none / 0) (#85)
by rusty on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 06:49:42 PM EST

I was thinkling of Cut-me-own-throat Dibbler, which Terry Pratchett fans probably recognized instantly. But I can understand the confusion. No, not that kind of genuine meat. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
So fresh... (none / 0) (#90)
by Three Pi Mesons on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 07:51:49 PM EST

...the pig don't know it's gone.

:: "Every problem in the world can be fixed with either flowers, or duct tape, or both." - illuzion
Sausage inna bun (none / 0) (#107)
by BadDoggie on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 08:56:02 AM EST

You haven't ever had the urge to ask what's in the sausages, have you?

"Pig"
"Pork, you mean?"
"Well, ermm... came from a pig. Mostly."

Was her maiden name "Dijblingen" or something like that?

woof.

"The line between genius and stupidity is very fine indeed, but you're so far away from the line that it doesn't matter." -- Parent ]

Pigs in a blanket (5.00 / 2) (#38)
by jayhawk88 on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 12:02:15 PM EST

We used to get them all the time at school lunches by that name. Of course they were just hot dogs at school. I imagine some good quality brats would be quite good this way.

Incidently, you can make mini-pigs in a blanket using "Little Smokies" mini-weiners and some of those pre-made Pillsbury crescent rolls. They kick ass.

Why, then, should we grant government the Orwellian capability to listen at will and in real time to our communications across the Web? -- John Ashcroft
Holidays? (5.00 / 1) (#2)
by marcos on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 09:10:18 AM EST

I don't have holidays.

Ever? (none / 0) (#4)
by tps12 on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 09:15:48 AM EST

How about recipes from holidays that fall during other times of the year?

Or do you not have any holidays at all? If so, then I'm curious as to where are you from (geographically and culturally) that you have no holidays? You're missing out! :)

I gotta work (5.00 / 1) (#20)
by marcos on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 10:05:13 AM EST

In this country you got to make the money first, then when you get the money you
get the power, then when you get the power then you get the women.

Actually, I've gotta support myself and my crack habit, so it gives me very little time off. I take a day off every few weeks from programming, but that is about it.

Turkey (2.66 / 3) (#3)
by starsky on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 09:15:26 AM EST

is dry and horrible. As is this article, -1.

Turkey (5.00 / 2) (#5)
by tps12 on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 09:18:10 AM EST

can be excellent if it's treated correctly. As could this article, I think.

Seriously, if it's dry then it's been overcooked. Brining and basting properly will produce a turkey as juicy and tasty as any other meat. I've also heard that deep frying makes for a juicy bird, but I haven't had the good fortune to try that yet.

I don't know if this is what you are thinking of (5.00 / 2) (#6)
by DesiredUsername on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 09:34:22 AM EST

but when I visited Texas I learned about something that seems...typically Texan. They deep fry a chicken (and presumably a turkey) whole. The guy I saw doing it had to do it outside because the barrel (!) of boiling oil he was lowering (with a chain) the chicken into wouldn't fit in the kitchen.

I was simultaneously repulsed and proud to be an American, a condition I find myself in a lot in the South.

Play 囲碁

yup (none / 0) (#11)
by tps12 on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 09:47:14 AM EST

Apparently you can also buy turkey fryers now, for that purpose. My parents were talking about deep frying the turkey in a [new] garbage can this year, not sure if they decided to do it or not. In any case, it's supposed to be pretty healthy; it seals the juices in, but the pressure from the steam prevents the oil from seeping in, I'd guess, and it's not battered or anything. Though Kentucky Fried Turkey would be pretty kickin'.

The South generally makes me ashamed of being a yank. Except for things like racism and bwalled peanuts that we've long since done away with, they seem to keep it pretty real down there.

Healthy (5.00 / 1) (#17)
by DesiredUsername on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 09:53:08 AM EST

It isn't so much the deep frying that I object too--some of my best friends are mozarella sticks. It's the wretched excess of dipping an entire, 20 lb bird into boiling oil for a non-prodigal-son-returning occassion that I found odd.

I agree that the South seems more...open and honest. But I don't always want to know that Cousin Billybob's deepest dream is to kill a deer with a chainsaw.

Play 囲碁

Ack (none / 0) (#101)
by celeriac on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 02:48:47 AM EST

Even if it's new, garbage cans are usually made of cheap zinc-plated metal. Putting a flame on zinc produces toxic fumes, and you really don't wan't zinc in your turkey either. Tell them to splurge for the stainless fryer.

Zinc if you're lucky (none / 0) (#102)
by sigwinch on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 03:35:33 AM EST

It might be cadmium or something equally nasty. Perhaps with a layer of antifugal-impregnated plastic on the inside.

I don't want the world, I just want your half.

That's how it goes .. (4.50 / 2) (#13)
by sasquatchan on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 09:48:43 AM EST

You haven't seen the turkey fryers in your local Lowes or Home Depot ? Hell, I see them in the circulars starting around September every year.. It's even on the front/home page of the home depot. $79.99, what a steal..

It's typically a stainless steel kettle with a propane burner underneath it.. Heck, it isn't much different from a nice crab pot or lobster boiler/steamer, only you fill it was oil instead of water..

The problem is what to do with 3-10 gallons of left over oil.. As most folks who cook their turkeys this way won't be doing the bio-diesel conversion process..
-- The internet is not here for your personal therapy.

I'm always the last to know (none / 0) (#18)
by DesiredUsername on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 09:55:10 AM EST

nt

Play 囲碁
Regarding leftover oil... (none / 0) (#21)
by graal on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 10:06:47 AM EST

This is a bit of a bummer. One kettle of oil is supposed to be good for 5 or 6 birds before it's got to be changed. I've tried to get my co-workers and neighbors in on it by having a mass fry-in, but so far there've been no takers.

You're supposed to be able to screen out the particles, filter it and reuse the oil, but I've never done it. I decant it out of the kettle when it's cooled off, store it for a bit, and then end up, uh, squirreling it away in the trash for pickup. If I knew of a place to recycle it, I would.

-- St. Augustine (Confessions, i)

Part of my job... (5.00 / 1) (#69)
by ti dave on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 02:17:44 PM EST

Involves blending various oils for use as alternative fuels for industrial applications.

Peanut oil will burn just fine in a cement kiln, so put the cool, used oil back in its original container and contact your local Household Hazardous Waste collection site.

They should accept the oil for recycle. I know *we* do.

"If you dial," Iran said, eyes open and watching, "for greater venom, then I'll dial the same."

Will do. Thanks for the info. (nt) (5.00 / 1) (#73)
by graal on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 03:17:40 PM EST

turkey (none / 0) (#151)
by /dev/trash on Thu Nov 28, 2002 at 11:16:30 PM EST

done right is heaven.

Updated 02/20/2004
New Site
-1, Smallville (1.00 / 3) (#14)
by wanders on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 09:49:30 AM EST

That is all, I think.

Yes, it is.

~
~
:x

Er, Make That Pleasantville. Stupid TV (In Tea) (none / 0) (#104)
by wanders on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 07:32:58 AM EST

~
~
:x
Goose or Duck (5.00 / 1) (#15)
by wiredog on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 09:50:49 AM EST

Goose if there's lots of people, duck if it's just two. No white meat, and they're self basting.

A whole cured ham is sometimes done instead of a goose if there are large numbers of people. Soak, drain, repeat every six hours for 24 hours. Then scrape. Them roast for several hours. Feeds 20 or so.

More Math! Less Pr0n! K5 For K5ers!
--Rusty

Duck (none / 0) (#39)
by rusty on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 12:04:20 PM EST

Duck can be very tricky to roast, though. It's easy to make it dry and leathery. My father-in-law does duck for Christmas eve, and it is always amazing, but the process takes all day. I'm going to get the actual recipe this year, so I may or may not post it after Christmas. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Tricky? (none / 0) (#57)
by wiredog on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 01:18:07 PM EST

What kind of duck are you using? I roast it just like a chicken, only for a shorter time. It's got enough fat that it is self basting. Takes about an hour. Add 15 to 20 minutes if you've stuffed it. I recommend a mix of onions, carrots, and other veggies for stuffing. Which stuffing is then mixed with drippings and stock to make gravy.

If you have to spend all day to avoid a dry and leathery duck then you're doing something very wrong to that poor bird.

Which could explain the creepy smile...

More Math! Less Pr0n! K5 For K5ers!
--Rusty

A tricky way to roast duck (none / 0) (#83)
by Arthur Treacher on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 06:35:36 PM EST

is to boil your duck for 1 1/2 hours with soy sauce, scallions, garlic, ginger, and anise.  After boiling, drain well, heat a deep pan with about 3 inches of oil in it very hot, put the duck in it, and fry for 5 minutes or so, turning a couple of times, until it's  a nice golden brown.  Voila, 'roast duck'.

"Henry Ford is more or less history" - Bunk
Goose: the way to go (none / 0) (#89)
by Three Pi Mesons on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 07:49:24 PM EST

My family always used to have turkey, but my mother decided a few years ago that goose would be far superior - and it really is. Partly because I don't have it at any other times, unlike turkey, so I now always associate goose with those special family times.

The other traditional thing we do is to have really, really well-matured Christmas pudding. It takes a little planning ahead, but there's such a difference in taste to a pudding that's been around for years instead of days. Then you set it on fire...

Turkey: Deep Fried (5.00 / 2) (#16)
by graal on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 09:52:17 AM EST

I gave this a shot a few years ago and never went back to oven-roasting. It's fun as hell, and the injectible marinades take turkey to a whole new level.

Lots of places around here start selling the frying kits in October - I got mine at Home Depot. It comes with a kettle, burner stand, burner, and a few tools for raising and lowering the bird out of the oil. After that, all you need is about 5 gallons of peanut oil, a big syringe and your favorite marinade, a level spot outside and of course, a turkey.

For marinades, I've tried mild, apple-cider-based ones and a couple of spicy, cajun-style versions. The milder ones seem to be a bit more popular with the family, especially the kids.

The smell of frying turkey in peanut oil on a cold day will rouse the dead. It's intoxicating, and speedy to boot: cook a whole bird in about 45 minutes. In fairness, though, it takes an additional 45 minutes to heat the oil to the proper temperature, so your total time runs about an hour and a half.

The rest of the meal is standard fare: sweet potato pie, stuffing, rolls, cranberry relish, green bean casserole, pecan/pumpkin/rhubarb pies. Wine, beer, etc.

Christmas Eve at casa graal is a Cuban-style Noche Buena: Pork roast w/ mojo criollo, yucca frita, potatoes, and moros y cristianos (black beans and rice).

If you've never tried deep-frying a turkey, give it a shot. It comes out so moist and beautifully colored, I guarantee you will never roast again. Plus it's as primal as can be, lowering that sucker into the oil.

-- St. Augustine (Confessions, i)

One ingredient you forgot (none / 0) (#22)
by wiredog on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 10:14:58 AM EST

the fire extinguisher. In case splattering oil should happen to contact the burner.

More Math! Less Pr0n! K5 For K5ers!
--Rusty

It should go without saying. (none / 0) (#24)
by graal on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 10:23:33 AM EST

Like a complete dumbass, I did it the first time on my wooden deck. The worst that happened was some staining on the wood from splattered oil, but good grief, I could've burnt the whole place down. Nowadays, I do it in the back yard, well away from the house. If it combusts, the worst I lose is the turkey and a few square yards of grass.

The kettle came with a lid, so you could conceiveably smother a grease fire.

Kids, make sure the turkey is decently thawed before you fry it, and don't overfill the kettle with oil. Fill it with water, lower the turkey in, and check the displacement. You want the top of the turkey just below the surface. Add or subtract water as needed, note the level, dump it and replace with oil. Trust me on this one.

-- St. Augustine (Confessions, i)

Turkey fryers (none / 0) (#34)
by kjb on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 11:50:13 AM EST

For anyone interested, here are some comments about turkey fryers from Underwriters Laboratories:

Turkey fryer safety standard to be revised

Deep-frying that turkey could land you in hot water

Now watch this drive.

some tips... (5.00 / 2) (#37)
by jt on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 12:00:11 PM EST

It's pretty fuckin' dangerous, but if you insist on deep-frying that sucker, do this:

When the turkey is still frozen, lower it into the fryer and cover it with water. (About an inch over the top is enough). Remove it from the pot and measure the distance from the surface of the water to the top of the pot. Don't put more than that level of oil in, unless you want it to boil over and turn into a giant oil fire. Then we can all laugh while you run around screaming in agony, burning to death.

Yes! (none / 0) (#58)
by wiredog on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 01:20:03 PM EST

Set up a webcam when you fry the bird!

More Math! Less Pr0n! K5 For K5ers!
--Rusty

Use the setup for a crawfish boil (5.00 / 1) (#36)
by miker2 on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 11:56:52 AM EST

The same setup for deep frying a bird can be used to boil crawfish when they're in season (late April-May, I think). Nothing says spring like 40lbs of crawdads, a big 'ol bottle of Louisiana hot sauce, and a couple of cases of Bud long necks.

"Pinch de tails, suck de heads." (nt) (none / 0) (#46)
by graal on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 12:21:07 PM EST

Oh yes. (none / 0) (#98)
by NFW on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 12:56:49 AM EST

A friend of mine "discovered" this a few years ago (like Columbus "discovered" land), and a few of us have been deep frying turkeys 2-3 times a year ever since. It comes out moist and juicy every single time. Dry meat just doesn't happen this way.

Never heard of apple cider marinade, but I'll suggest it for next time. Have you tried injectable garlic marinade? Teriyaki? Cajun is good, but I like those even more.

May I also suggest chopping potatoes into bite sized chunks and tossing them in after the turkey comes out. Between the peanut oil and the leftover marinades, they come out great.

Got birds?

Amusing Anecdote (5.00 / 2) (#19)
by HidingMyName on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 09:56:25 AM EST

One of my coworkers from long ago told a story which is just outrageous enough that I'm not quite sure that I should entirely disbelieve it (i.e. it could be an urban legend, but I've only heard it from one source). A brief summary follows.

The pilgrims wanted to have a feast, and were leaning on their neighbors, the indians to organize the feast. The indians were a bit put off, as the pilgrims were whining and sort of shaking them down to organize the event. The indians put together a meal of "junk food" to both show their displeasure and to get the pilgrims off their back. This "junk food" is now considered fare for our Thansgiving meals.

Snopes says (none / 0) (#130)
by Ni on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 07:09:36 PM EST

unlikely.

<MisterQueue> I'm the fucking picasso of urine
Mmm (5.00 / 1) (#26)
by simonbelmont on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 10:50:34 AM EST

I'm having a big family style chinese food dinner this year.  I'm didn't want leftover turkey sandwiches for 3 weeks afterwards.

the more you change the less you feel
i normally fast during holidays (5.00 / 1) (#28)
by sexinu on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 10:57:44 AM EST

that's just me. too many people in the food lines.

Not sure I understand (none / 0) (#143)
by Josh A on Thu Nov 28, 2002 at 07:57:22 AM EST

In addition, do you volunteer any time or donate anything in order to help alleviate the problem you perceive?

Thank God for Canada, if only because they annoy the Republicans so much. – Blarney

To make a better turkey (4.66 / 3) (#29)
by lb008d on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 11:12:23 AM EST

Brine the bird for about 6 hours in water that has had 2 cups of salt dissolved in it. Then take the turkey out, rinse it off thoroughly, and pat it completely dry with paper towels.

Leave the bird exposed overnight in the fridge - this allows the skin to air dry fully. When you roast the bird (at 400 degrees F), start breast side down for 45 mins, then roast one wing side down for 15, the other side for 15, and finish breast side up until the bird is at 160 degrees F in the breast. Be sure to baste the bird with a lot of butter when you rotate it.

Recipe courtesy of Cooks Illustrated.

"Kuro5hin: politics and pretension, from the $3,000 leather recliners on the hill overlooking the trenches."DarkZero

The brine solution works on wild game, too. (none / 0) (#49)
by graal on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 12:23:40 PM EST

Or so I've heard. I've not had much luck in the woods, lately. >:-(

-- St. Augustine (Confessions, i)

I'll bet it'll work on that (none / 0) (#50)
by lb008d on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 12:31:52 PM EST

I have used it (with different amounts of salt, and with sugar/salt mixtures) on chickens, game hens and pork loin with great success.

The other option people have is to buy kosher meat since it is already pre-salted.

Thumbs up on that recipe (none / 0) (#70)
by Edgy Loner on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 02:22:20 PM EST

There is a recipe like that in the December 2001 Cook's illustrated for high roast turkey. Basically the same as above, except the turkey is butterflied (cut out the backbone and flatten it out. Air dry and then roast it at 450 F on a broiler pan overtop of the dressing. The turkey cooks fast - in about 90 minutes, the dressing is all yummy and moist from the turkey drippings. I've got the turkey trimmings and vegetables roasting for the gravy right now.
C'est vraiment scrumpdilicous!

This is not my beautiful house.
This is not my beautiful knife.
spicy sweet potato pie, and sinful cutouts (5.00 / 4) (#30)
by georgeha on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 11:18:20 AM EST

A few days ago, while feeding the kids breakfast, I sat down at the table with my Palm and some recipe sources, painstakingly graffiti'ing some treasured family recipes that make each holiday season a warm, cherished memory. I bring them to you so that you may bring them to your family.

The first is spicy sweet potato pie, with a pasty brisee sweet crust. You need a good pastry cutter for this, I have a totally inadequate one that I suffer with, and no one has picked up one my constant complaining, it would make a perfect gift.

Pastry brisée sweet

1. cup flour
  2. /3 cup sugar
  3. /4 lb butter
pinch of salt

Sift together dry ingredients. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until it has a coarse sand texture. Work with your hands until it becomes a ball. Chill for an hour or two. Press into a pie pan. Prick the bottom with a fork.

Note: Do not overwork the crust! Once it starts to adhere to a ball shape, stop. Overworking a crust gives it a tough, chewy consistency.

spicy sweet potato pie

1. Pastry brisée sweet, unbaked
  2. 1/2 cups mashed cooked yams
  3. eggs, beaten
  4. /4 cup dark brown sugar
  5. tsp. cinnamon
  6. /2 tsp ginger
  7. /2 tsp ground cloves
  8. /4 tsp nutmeg
  9. /4 tsp salt
  10. 2/3 cups evap milk
Preheat oven to 375. Add everything to large bowl, mix well until smooth and blended. Pour into pie shell. Bake for 55 minutes.

I find putting the empty pie crust into the oven, and then ladling the contents into the crust works best, decades of caffeine abuse have left me unable to tranport a liquidy pie from the table to the oven without spilling it.

My final recipe is for sinfully good cutout cookies. It's the butter and confectioners' sugar that gives them such a sweet melt in your mouth consistency. If you use margarine or Crisco, you're damned to Hell.

Cutout cookies

1. 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  2. cup butter, softened
  3. egg
  4. tsp vanilla
  5. /2 tsp almond extract
  6. 1/2 all purpose flour
  7. tsp baking soda
  8. tsp cream of tartar
Mix sugar, butter, egg, vanilla, and almond extract. Stir in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Cover and chill 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 375. Roll out and cut. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake until edges are light brown, 7 to 8 minutes.

Note: This makes a pathetically small amount. If you have big enough bowls, double the amount.

Frosting I use a bowl of confectioner's sugar, and a little milk. Add milk by the drops and stir until you get a spreadable frosting, it only takes a minute amount. Then add food coloring if you want to have colored cookies.

Pastry cutters (none / 0) (#35)
by rusty on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 11:52:06 AM EST

You have two of the greatest pastry cutting devices ever invented, one on the end of each arm. Hands are far superior to those silly wire things. All you need to be sure of is that you don't let the butter warm up too much while you're working with it. When you add the butter to the flour, keep it in the fridge till the last minute, and cut it up into relatively small pieces before putting it in. If it starts to get too warm while you're working it, just pop it in the fridge for a few minutes.

____
Not the real rusty
My wife's super secret tip (none / 0) (#43)
by georgeha on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 12:15:39 PM EST

freeze the butter, then grate it.

I still want a nice, heavy, well made pastry cutter though.

Wow (5.00 / 2) (#44)
by DesiredUsername on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 12:16:37 PM EST

I didn't realize georgeha was the real-life inspiration for the Tim Burton character. Pretty cool.

Play 囲碁

Edward Pastryhands (NT) (5.00 / 2) (#53)
by rusty on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 12:42:57 PM EST

____
Not the real rusty
My family's foods (5.00 / 2) (#31)
by notenchi on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 11:26:15 AM EST

Here are some of my family's favorite traditions.

1) When my older brother took over the cooking of the turkey, he roasted it outside on a charcoal grill, and threw in wet hickory chips to make hickory smoked turkey. Yum!

2) Another tradition is Poor Man's Cake, which is a boiled raisin cake that is slightly denser than uranium, and oh so good.

3) The forgetting of the cole slaw. Every year we would make cole slaw, an every years we' forget it to put it on the table until after dinner.
If life gives you lemmings, make lemming aid!

The same things we always eat (5.00 / 1) (#32)
by jabber on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 11:39:31 AM EST

BUGS!

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

Maybe I'm just a glutton... (5.00 / 4) (#40)
by biggs on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 12:06:57 PM EST

Most of the year, food is just another tedious part of life

This is not at all true for me. Most of the year food is an enormous joy. If it was tedious I wouldn't eat when I'm not hungry all the time like I do. Does this make me a pathetic glutton? I'm not fat though.. Next thing you'll say is that sex is tedious all year except on valentines day, wtf.

"Rockin my 'hell I made it' wetsuit stitch so I can swim in elevators crazy wet through piss" -Cannibal Ox

No, no (5.00 / 2) (#48)
by rusty on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 12:22:49 PM EST

Sex is tedious all year except on Arbor Day.

____
Not the real rusty
Arbor Day? What about Flag Day? (none / 0) (#55)
by graal on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00:01 PM EST

Sheesh.

Unless (none / 0) (#60)
by wiredog on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 01:35:16 PM EST

You're celebrating Arbor Day in a tree.

More Math! Less Pr0n! K5 For K5ers!
--Rusty

Here's the rundown (5.00 / 2) (#41)
by jayhawk88 on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 12:09:34 PM EST

I always spend Thanksgiving at home, hitting both grandparents places on the same day. Lunch at one and supper at the other typically. Both parents have large families, so food is of course plentiful.

It's traditional stuff: Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatos, usually some ham, etc. My mom's side is famous for having chicken-and-noodles too. Usually Jello-salads of some kind, lots of pies of course.

All the "men folk" watch football or just BS, the kids play, the women wash dishes afterwards. After that we usually get a card game going of some sorts. It's all very 1950's, but it definitely feels good, at least one day out of the year.

-1 what do K5ers eat ? (2.00 / 4) (#45)
by dvchaos on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 12:16:43 PM EST

ughhh, what tripe .. they eat The same fucking thing the rest of the world eats, food- of course. we are human, or had you forgotten that in a moment of stupidity ? Sorry, I forgot. k5 is 'special'.

Tripe is good (none / 0) (#71)
by imrdkl on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 02:33:31 PM EST

'specially in menudo, a dish fit for year-round consumption.

Don't get me started ! (none / 0) (#72)
by doru on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 03:07:39 PM EST

It's been a long time since I ate a well-prepared tripe soup, with a lot of garlic, a little vinegar and some cream.

Now I'll have to wait about a month until I get home to have one.

I see Rusty's creation of Scoop as being as world changing an event as the fall of the Berlin wall. - Alan Crowe

Impressive comment! (none / 0) (#112)
by Ethnomythologist on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 10:21:43 AM EST

Sorry, I forgot. k5 is 'special'.

Mr./Mrs. Chaos, you suggest that an interest specifically in the traditions of readers of k5 implies that said readers are "special," perhaps even "superior." Might I point out that you thereby incriminate any query or comment stated within this community on the same charge - and that means your comment, too.

The problem with your argument is that anything stated or asked on this website is necessarily aimed at reader of this website. I am sure the author is just as interested in the holiday traditions of non-k5 readers, but he can't very well address them because the moment they read his story they become k5 readers. Do you find the story frivolous? Perhaps, but that hardly relates to any elevation of k5 that the author may or may not be doing.

Perhaps this is simply the easiest way for the author to reach a large group of people with his question. Apparently you didn't think quite this far ahead. Sir/Ma'am, I say here that I highly doubt you attended an Ivy League college. Time and time again, those of us who did are called upon to explain things to those who did not. It is a taxing but humbling responsibility.

No fan of holiday food (5.00 / 1) (#47)
by IHCOYC on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 12:21:59 PM EST

I dislike the traditional foods of the "feast." I find them bland, starchy, overcooked, and over-recipe'd. Turkey, especially, is a wooden abomination, as is the notorious green bean and cream of mushroom soup casserole.

If I got to choose what to eat on the holidays, I'd get Chinese or Thai takeout.

Choke the last Santa with the guts of the last reindeer!

Well (5.00 / 2) (#52)
by Ndog on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 12:41:12 PM EST

Don't blame the turkey just because someone didn't know how to properly cook it.

Like Simpson says... (2.00 / 1) (#51)
by vile on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 12:38:50 PM EST

mmmmmmmm Beer.

~
The money is in the treatment, not the cure.
If you have left-over turkey... (5.00 / 4) (#54)
by Arthur Treacher on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 12:49:25 PM EST

......or even if you don't, if you like Mexican food try turkey mole.

The story:

Legend holds that mole poblano was invented in the 1680's by Sister Andreas, a nun of the Convent of Santa Rosa in the city of Puebla. It was created in honor of Don Manuel Fernandez de Santa Cruz and his guest, Don Antonio de la Cerda y Aragon, Viceroy of New Spain. It seems that the archbishop was coming to visit, and the nuns were worried because they had no food elegant enough to serve someone of his eminence. So they prayed for guidance and Sister Andreas had a vision. She directed that everyone in the convent begin chopping and grinding everything edible they could find in the kitchen. Into a pot went chiles, tomatoes, nuts, sugar, tortillas, bananas, raisins, garlic, and dozens of herbs and spices such as cinnamon and cloves. The final ingredient was the magic one: chocolate. Then the nuns slaughtered their only turkey and served it with the mole sauce to the archbishop, who declared it the finest dish he had ever tasted.

This is a basic recipe:

1. tablespoons olive oil
  2. medium onion, peeled and chopped
  3. cloves garlic, minced
  4. /4 cup slivered almonds, lightly sauted in butter
chile peppers, finely chopped, to taste, your choice [ I like a mix of different types]
  1. plum tomatoes, chopped
  2. /4 cup beef or chicken broth
  3. tbls brown sugar
  4. tbls vinegar
  5. /4 tbls dark sesame oil
  6. /2 square unsweetened chocolate (1/2 ounce)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste [ I usually use shoyu (soy sauce]
  1. teaspoon ground cinnamon
  2. /8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  3. /4 teaspoon ground cloves
  4. /4 teaspoon cumin seed
 rosemary, thyme, summer savory, oregano to taste
  1. cups chopped cooked turkey  (you can add shredded cooked pork and/or beef, too)
  2. corn tortilla, torn in little pieces
  3. apple, cubed
  4. pear, cubed
  5. /4 cup raisins
Saute the onion, garlic, and peppers in the olive oil until softened. Add the tomatoes and saute for 5 minutes. Add the broth and remaining ingredients, except turkey and shredded tortilla. Stir until the chocolate has melted. Stir in the chopped turkey. Let the mixture simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes, then add the shredded tortilla to thicken and smooth out the texture.  Simmer another 5 minutes.

Serve over fluffy rice, or use as a filling in enchiladas, tacos, tamales, or whatever.

"Henry Ford is more or less history" - Bunk

Too much work. (none / 0) (#79)
by Tezcatlipoca on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 05:56:17 PM EST

In Southern US states you can buy mole ready made, just add water and you are ready to go.

I bought 3 glasses in Houston that should last me for 6 or 8 meals.

Mole. Yummy.

European? Say no to software patents.

Mandelgave (5.00 / 3) (#56)
by Meatbomb on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 01:08:19 PM EST

Maybe some Danes on the list will know this one? Imported from my mother's side of the family, a must on Christmas Eve:

Guests must bring a small present, appropriate for anyone (chocolate, box of candies, almanac, pocket calculator, etc).

Cook some fat sushi-type rice in milk (it has to get nice and mushy and plump when it's done). Cool. Add whipped cream, crushed almonds, some almond extract.

Here's the tricky part: for every present sitting on the table, you mix in one whole almond, de-skinned. They are really well camoflaged in there.

Everyone eats and eats and eats. Once there is no rice left, you reveal the almonds you have. Dirty tricks are encouraged - passing almonds to your children, using the serving spoon to try to find the whole almonds (never works), etc etc. Every almond held is a present claimed.

A good way to force everyone to eat dessert after the massive holiday meal, a splendid time is guaranteed for all!

_______________

Good News for Liberal Democracy!

Pancakes! (4.33 / 3) (#61)
by porkchop_d_clown on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 01:39:08 PM EST

Sour milk corn flour pancakes.

What else would a K5'er eat?

Once one sock is sucked, the other sock will remain forever unsucked.

Chichilla? (nt) (none / 0) (#63)
by graal on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 01:48:20 PM EST

-- St. Augustine (Confessions, i)

Chinchilla? (nt) (none / 0) (#64)
by graal on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 01:48:35 PM EST

-- St. Augustine (Confessions, i)

Preview button? (nt) (5.00 / 1) (#65)
by graal on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 01:49:12 PM EST

Eh? (none / 0) (#108)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 09:33:56 AM EST

Are you alluding to some typographic error too subtle for more poor clown brain to notice?

Once one sock is sucked, the other sock will remain forever unsucked.

Yes, mine. (none / 0) (#114)
by graal on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 10:49:43 AM EST

Notably, my submitting multiple replies whilst trying to be a smartass.

-- St. Augustine (Confessions, i)

Oh. Sorry. (none / 0) (#135)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 09:47:57 PM EST

I just tend to assume that any abuse on K5 is being hurled at me until proven otherwise.

;-P

Once one sock is sucked, the other sock will remain forever unsucked.

No problem. Happy Holiday(s) :) -nt- (none / 0) (#136)
by graal on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 10:40:38 PM EST

-- St. Augustine (Confessions, i)

Buttermilk Buckwheat Pancakes (none / 0) (#67)
by Arthur Treacher on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 01:59:38 PM EST

'Nuff said.

"Henry Ford is more or less history" - Bunk
Tofurkey (4.00 / 1) (#62)
by frankcrist on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 01:44:14 PM EST

Yes, it's true!  During my veggie period, we actually had a friend of mine trained in n. italian cooking do up the whole veggie thanksgiving, complete with tofurkey.  I think if you just buy one and put it in the oven, it would be pretty ill, but stuffed with homemade stuffing and complete with all the fixins (mashed sweet potatos!), it was pretty goddamn delicious.

However, this thanksgiving and many more to come, I will be in the wilds of rural indiana, where my aunts make mashed potatos so creamy that to attempt to chew it is a sin, and the turkey is stuffed with several sticks of butter and it gets so juicy.  Mahvhdayeum.

Oh, and for Xmas, I'll have a double helping of angioplasty please.

--x--x--x--x--x--
Get your war on!

I've never understood tofu... (5.00 / 1) (#74)
by gordonjcp on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 03:26:08 PM EST

If you don't want to eat meat, why eat something designed to approximate meat? I'd rather just eat vegetables. Of course, I'm omnivorous so I eat meat and veg, but I used to live with a couple of veggies so I ate veggie too (bloody stupid making something for yourself and something different for everyone else).

Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll bore you rigid with fishing stories for the rest of your life.

Yeah, what's with that? (4.00 / 2) (#77)
by Sunflower on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 05:09:10 PM EST

I don't think that tofu is very much like meat, but I agree with your sentiment.

I've been vegetarian for years, and it always strikes me as strange people who eat fake meat things. You can make heaps of fantastic vege food without pretending to eat meat. But heaps of people seem to like it. My partner for instance who has been vegetarian for about 8 years (and vegan for 1 1/2 years) loves that stuff. She always wants to buy soysagues and other wierd things, it still strikes me as bizarre.

Someone needs to explain this to me!

Convenience & living in a Fast Food world. (none / 0) (#80)
by nih5oruk on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 06:08:30 PM EST

But I agree with you.

I'm not hugely fond of Vegi-meat styles products. They taste ok, in the same way all highly processed food tastes ok. But I'd rather have some real food thanks.

Tofu CAN be great though, I've certainly had it great when eating out. Just never managed to reproduce the results myself... I always seem to end up buying the 'egg custard' type instead of the chewy stuff.

Frozen fried tofu (5.00 / 2) (#92)
by IHCOYC on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 10:10:44 PM EST

Go to an Oriental grocery and ask for pre-fried frozen tofu cubes. These are the browned and chewy tofu pieces that you can just add to your stir-fries w/o having to go through the complicated pain of frying the tofu yourself.
"Complecti antecessores tuos in spelæis stygiis Tartari appara," eructavit miles primus.
"Vix dum basiavisti vicarium velocem Mortis," rediit Grignr.
--- Livy
tofu was never meant to be a replacement for meat (5.00 / 1) (#100)
by raaymoose on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 02:36:34 AM EST

It's something entirely on its own. It certainly doesn't replace meat. I switch between omnivore and vegan about twice a year (don't ask), and I continue to eat tofu even when I'm eating my moose steaks. Of course, I do enjoy the taste of it with no preparation so maybe I'm just strange. Mmmmm bean curd.

heheh - Turkey is for chumps! (4.80 / 5) (#66)
by Run4YourLives on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 01:50:44 PM EST

Ok, a nitpick first, so bear with me...

It's only two days until Thanksgiving, and less than a month until Christmas

...well, assuming we all live in the States it is...some of us celebrated last month, and some, not at all.

At any rate, in my (Catholic, Italian) family, one of my sisters had a particular beef with turkey - pardon the pun. Personally, I think it had a lot to do with the fact that my father was a chef, and turkey is rather bland when you're used to eating full course Italian meals... :-)

So, our substitute, which has been passed on to many a friend, was simple:

Beef Prime rib, as good as your wallet will allow you to get.

Now, like a true meat lover will tell you, rare is best...but I guess you can ruin it if you want to. :-)

The key though, is to add the serving sauce. Keep the gravy in the trailer parks, because Bernaise Sauce is actually where it's at.

Aside from this, you can serve anything your heart desires that you think will go. Although keep in mind that pasta salads are not Italian, and serving cold pasta is a bit of an insult in traditional Italy - if you're trying to be authentic. If you've done the main dish properly, you and your guests will never have another turkey again.

Enjoy!

It's slightly Japanese, but without all of that fanatical devotion to the workplace. - CheeseburgerBrown

oh, I forgot desert! (none / 0) (#68)
by Run4YourLives on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 02:03:10 PM EST

I suggest going to whatever Italian neighbourhood is close to you and picking up a Pandoro...

Panetonne is good too, but you can get pandoro with chocolate in it. ;-)

Rare? (4.00 / 1) (#97)
by jdrake on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 12:44:59 AM EST

I picture this commercial from 'Taco Bell'. It is advertising a steak something or other. They cut open this big piece of steak. It is so red that I would be afraid it would walk off the table. Meat must be fully cooked thank you. Blood does not have a place on my plate. No Red Liquire (NRL) in my meat. I will take done or well done any day. That does not mean dry either.
The Apple: The temptation of the naughty one. Be A Naughty Boy!
well... (5.00 / 1) (#99)
by Run4YourLives on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 01:13:43 AM EST

you will never know the true joy of eating meat... espescially if you think it comes from taco bell.

:-)

Some points... (none / 0) (#144)
by dead_penguin on Thu Nov 28, 2002 at 10:33:47 AM EST

First, the "reddish liquid" coming out of rare meat isn't blood. Almost all of the blood in the animal is drained right after it is killed. In fact, any remaining blood would be found as thick, dark-red blood clots.

Second, eating rare meat is safe to do. If present, bacteria such as E. coli are introduced into the meat only when it is handled-- at the butcher's and in your kitchen. Because of this, they are only found on the surface of the meat. As long as you cook the meat (steak, roast, whatever) enough that all parts exposed to the surface are *cooked*, it is safe.

Note, though, that many (most) roasts are actually rolled up pieces of meat, or are made from several pieces tied together. The "inside" has been exposed to the surface. Ground beef, obviously, has to be cooked completely since for all intents and purposes it is ALL surface!

vote comments (3.00 / 3) (#75)
by guyjin on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 03:39:42 PM EST

Write in vote: Ham balls!

Also, A&E Eggnog is delicious. And no booze, to boot!
-- 散弾銃でおうがいして ください

ah nothing can beat a nice roast (5.00 / 3) (#78)
by raaymoose on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 05:10:28 PM EST

A nice juicy moose roast that is.Or moose steak.

With yorkshire pudding and assorted vegetables from the garden. Then parkin for dessert. Can't be beat.

Newborns (3.22 / 9) (#81)
by SanSeveroPrince on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 06:09:27 PM EST

The Lord Satan commands me so.

----

Life is a tragedy to those who feel, and a comedy to those who think

hahahahaha (none / 0) (#153)
by johwsun on Fri Nov 29, 2002 at 06:02:47 AM EST

...poor newborn guy!

i was going to say 'spam and kraft dinner' (2.50 / 2) (#82)
by Prophet themusicgod1 on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 06:23:09 PM EST

but i'm out of spam and kraft dinner :*( looks like i'm going to just eat chicken noodle soup every day during the holidays...that's all i have left. *rationed his food to last from august until decembre - it's decembre soon, and i'm out of food.*
"I suspect the best way to deal with procrastination is to put off the procrastination itself until later. I've been meaning to try this, but haven't gotten around to it yet."swr
Answer (1.25 / 4) (#86)
by bayankaran on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 06:52:34 PM EST

What Do K5ers Eat During the Holidays?

Food.

Are you sure? {nt} (none / 0) (#142)
by Josh A on Thu Nov 28, 2002 at 07:49:36 AM EST

Should be "What don't I eat?":-) (4.60 / 5) (#88)
by seanic on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 07:19:58 PM EST

If it gets off the hook or out of the sights in time, then I don't eat it.  Everything has a chance to escape, except of course the vegetation which can neither run nor hide.

"The majority of the stupid is invincible and guaranteed for all time. The terror of their tyranny is, however, alleviated by their lack of consistency" -- Albert Einstein
Typical negro foods (1.09 / 33) (#93)
by tacomacide on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 10:17:09 PM EST

Fried chicken, Watermelon, Thunderbird

*** ANONYMIZED ***

Christmas lunch, Australia (4.00 / 2) (#94)
by danny on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 11:00:01 PM EST

No one celebrates Thanksgiving in Australia, and I've managed to keep Christmas out of my life - I don't give presents and people don't give them to me. I'll miss it this year (plan to be off bushwalking), but my father usually throws a big Christmas lunch: some traditional things - turkey, ham, etc. but also a lot of other dishes, such as won ton soup. (The traditional foods are a bit unsuitable for Australia in mid-summer!)

Danny.
[900 book reviews and other stuff]

Two words (4.20 / 5) (#96)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Tue Nov 26, 2002 at 11:42:50 PM EST

EGG FUCKING NOG!!!

Who care's if it's 6000 calories a serving. You only live once.

I'm like Jesus, only better.
Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour

Indeed (4.00 / 1) (#103)
by sigwinch on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 03:42:12 AM EST

If you don't slosh, you haven't had enough egg nog.

I don't want the world, I just want your half.

The local ice cream place... (none / 0) (#115)
by graal on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 10:52:46 AM EST

...does eggnog-flavored ice cream at the holidays. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

-- St. Augustine (Confessions, i)

Given that so many of us are in the tech sector (4.00 / 1) (#106)
by Rogerborg on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 08:15:52 AM EST

Remember: despite the name, food stamps are not edible.

I'm being made redundant on December 18th, simply because that's what's most convenient for my employer.  Ho ho ho.  I might raid the snack machine before I go though, so I guess I'll be eating snickers this holiday season.

"Exterminate all rational thought." - W.S. Burroughs

learn to cook (none / 0) (#110)
by 6mute on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 10:11:07 AM EST

then you can eat anything you want, any time you want!

This Week .... (5.00 / 2) (#111)
by craigtubby on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 10:14:28 AM EST

This week I arve been mostly eatin' taramasalata

try to make ends meet, you're a slave to money, then you die.

* Webpage *

I hate the holidays (5.00 / 3) (#120)
by rayab on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 12:06:56 PM EST

There are many reasons to hate the holidays. Especially because the Americans make everything so commercialized. When we lived in Russia we celebrated the New Year, not christmas, but we had a tree and on the 31st Grandpa Frost (ded maroz) came for a visit and left me a present.

Then when we moved to Israel there was no concept of Xmas or the new year. But there was Hanukah and I always got a small symbolic gift.

But now that we're in the US its almost impossible to ignore the holidays. Suddenly its not about giving something symbolic to show you care, now you have to worry about stuff like "have I gotten x enough gifts? Maybe I need to get more".
I was looking for something small to send my best friend for Hanukah, but its impossible to go shopping these days. The sales peole are incredibly annoying, which is another thing I hate about the holidays. I went into the Body Shop and was greeted by 3 sales slaves. Then as I was looking at something she said to me "Oh, that's a great gift! And _only_ $15" I was ready to kill her but decided to control myself. Then as I was ready to make my decision another slave decided it'd be a good idea to touch me! She saw a pendant I was wearing and touched it and just acted so sickenly happy I got pissed off and left the store.

So yes, we're making a huge dinner for thanxgiving and my bf and his mom are coming, and my dad's coworker who's here on a business trip. But we dont do it all American like, I guess that's why I take it.

Of course my mom had no idea how big of a turkey we needed, so she got a 22lb one!! Needless to say I hate turkey, chicken is so much better...

yes (none / 0) (#125)
by tps12 on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 03:01:28 PM EST

I've heard of the Russians' lack of Christmas. I'd always assumed this was because the holiday was done away with during the Revolution. New Year's, as a holiday based on the secular calendar, was selected as a safe, non-religious substitute. My Russian friend has been unable to confirm this, but it sounds reasonable to me. If I'm right, then celebrating Christmas could be seen as a good way to celebrate the fact that you no longer live under Communism.

(Note that I resisted making an "In Soviet Russia..." joke.)

Sales people are always terrible, especially at the Body Shop. And Radio Shack.

I correspond with a Russian who celebrates both... (none / 0) (#150)
by Nicht Ausreichend on Thu Nov 28, 2002 at 07:47:45 PM EST

... Christmas and the New Year.  I once asked him (back in the 90s) how long the Christmas celebration lasted in Russia.  He looked very puzzled, and replied that "Christmas" was a single day.

Since then I've thought of his comment every year, when the commercial Christmas decorations appear in my part of the U.S. almost before Halloween is over.

I've been wanting to ask you about your sig:  "Y popa bila sobaka on yeyo lyubil, ona syela kusok myasa on yeyo ubil, v zemlyu zakopal, i na mogile napisal..."

"Sobaka" means "dog" and, if I remember correctly, "myasa" can mean butter or motor oil depending on the context -- I'm not so sure about that one.  I may be able to figure out a little more, so would you please give me a translation or let me know whether I've figured it out?  Spasiba bolshoi.

Black humor (none / 0) (#155)
by rayab on Sat Nov 30, 2002 at 11:02:11 PM EST

Well its an old rhyme I've always repeated as a child it goes like this: "The pope had a dog, he loved her. She at a piece of meat, he killed her. Buried in the groud and on the tumb stone he wrote: The pope had a dog ... "
And btw Myaso is meat. Maslo is butter/motor oil.

Cock (4.00 / 2) (#121)
by davidmb on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 12:10:00 PM EST

We usually eat a nice big cockerel (a rooster for yanks), along with some prime beef, gammon, duck or goose, sausages in bacon, mountains of veg, gorgeous roast potatoes, special stuffing, and more I can't write because I'm drooling on my keyboard.
־‮־
As a geek... (none / 0) (#122)
by jd on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 12:49:19 PM EST

I usually suffer from a severe overdose of spam, carp and bug-burgers.

Oh, you mean food food. That non-digital stuff. Hmmm. Fries and 2 litres of Dew work for me, most days, and I hate to disturb the pattern for holidays.

Veggie PC-dinner (none / 0) (#149)
by runlevel0 on Thu Nov 28, 2002 at 04:57:56 PM EST

The worst about food is that it always shows a quite "Murphish" behaviour.
I tryed all kinds of veggie sandwiches wich are quite annoying because they always ends on my keyboard.
If I'm really hungry things can get real worse; it's far away from easy trying to hold a plate with one hand when you are typping with the other.

I would bet for some astronaut stuff (veggie of course).

We geeks are a misunderstood ethnic minority.

It just isn't the holidays (4.50 / 2) (#124)
by miah on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 02:35:50 PM EST

without cranberry sauce that is shaped like a can. People have spent much time on making cranberry sauce at home only to disappoint me in the long run.

Other things that make the holidays for me: black olives and pumpkin pie. And, I guess you could say that turkey is also on my list. But we did try making turkey enchiladas one year, that was tasty and different.

My sister works for a grill distributor and she gets to play with all the cool grilling toys that come about. Last year she slow smoked a turkey in one of those giant green egg smoker things. The year before that we deep fat fried a whole turkey. It made a mess, but that was one damn fine turkey!

I wonder if it would be that hard to make a turkey curry?

Religion is not the opiate of the masses. It is the biker grade crystal meth of the masses.
SLAVEWAGE

Turkey curry (none / 0) (#127)
by kjb on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 03:11:47 PM EST

I have had 'turkey curry' made out of Thanksgiving or Christmas leftovers, and it's just fine. Just follow your favorite recipe for Chicken and substitute turkey straight up for it.

Now watch this drive.

Heritage Turkeys (5.00 / 1) (#131)
by GGardner on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 08:23:53 PM EST

We've always had turkey for Thanksgiving dinner, because it is traditional, I guess, not really because anyone particularly likes the taste of turkey. This year we're having a heritage turkey. What's a heritage turkey? Turns out that almost all of the turkeys sold in North America are one breed, the Broadbrested White , and are optimized for growing quickly, and having a disproportionate share of white meat, which most people like. It isn't particularly optimized for taste or juiciness. These heritage turkeys, however, are said to be much juicier and actually taste like a turkey, not like a chicken. There are several different breeds, so buying heritage turkeys encourages biodiversity.

We'll see how it goes...

What we eat (3.00 / 1) (#132)
by borodir on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 09:05:36 PM EST

human flesh

Everything you know about the first Thanksgiving (4.00 / 1) (#133)
by jij on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 09:09:48 PM EST

is  wrong, including what foods they ate.  This article has the scoop.

"people who thinks quotes are witty are fucking morons" - turmeric

Let's see..... (none / 0) (#137)
by akma on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 11:10:00 PM EST

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, the main dishes will include some of the deer I've bagged so far this season (backstraps and some of the ribs seeing as how I'll be entertaining two korean families that recently moved to the U.S.), one of the 3 turkey I killed sometime in May, and more than likely the goose I killed today. The side dishes will include whatever I can talk my wife and mother into cooking. Then there'll be a bottle of The Macallan 25 year old hooch tomorrow to wash everything down with unless I get a little thirsty tonight...

__
Those in the world shouting "Yankee go home" should bear in mind that the people of the South have been saying the same thing for over 100 years now, but the damned bastards won't leave.
My family... (none / 0) (#138)
by faustus on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 11:16:16 PM EST

...is really into candy for some reason. Every year someone buys my dad the 1 kilogram box of liquorice all-sorts, and its gone by noon.

I posted it quite a while ago (none / 0) (#139)
by tzanger on Wed Nov 27, 2002 at 11:19:03 PM EST

But it's so tasty I'll risk low mojo by posting it again.

Cranberry Chicken
(From the I-hate-cranberries-but-this-is-delicious dept.)

• About four boneless chicken breasts
  • A can (16oz?) of cranberry sauce (with or without berries, both are good)
  • Package of Onion Soup mix
  • low-fat french dressing

In a casserole dish big enough to hold all the chicken in, combine the cranberry sauce, onion soup mix and about 1/2 to 3/4 of the can of cranberry sauce amount of french dressing. (i.e. dump the cranberry sauce, and then fill the can about 1/2 to 3/4 full of dressing) -- Make sure you use the low fat stuff or it'll come out too greasy (at least for my liking). Mix it all up good, the onion soup mix has to be thoroughly mixed so there are no dry pockets. I'll smell and look disgusting but trust me this is the most amazingly good chicken you'll ever make yourself.

Bury the chicken in this mixture, cover and put in the fridge for about 1/2hr, flipping the chicken over halfway though this time. Set your oven on to 350oF and bake for about an hour to an hour and a half, flipping the chicken halfway through again.

About 30 minutes in this will start to smell really good. Serve over noodles or rice, with lots of sauce (that cranberry-onion soup-salad dressing mixture) -- if you use whole cranberries it looks a little more presentable too. The chicken is tender, sweet and just a tiny bit tart.

If you hate cranberries, onion soup or French dressing, that is no reason not to try this. I'm serious. I hate cranberries and onion soup, but about two months after my grandmother died I was digging through the cupboard and found these items. There wasn't much else in the house in the way of food so I hunted around on the internet and found this recipe. Like the article had said, it looks disgusting and smells not quite like something edible, but after some time in the oven it's quite mouth-watering.

I've heard people marinade with this (instead of cooking the chicken in the mixutre) -- I haven't tried it but may some day. I also hear you can substitute Russian dressing for French.

Actually... (none / 0) (#140)
by ttfkam on Thu Nov 28, 2002 at 02:26:42 AM EST

this will be my first all vegetarian Thanksgiving.  I am still very much a carnivore, but the folks I will be sharing this holiday with are not.

Gourmet vegetarian pizza all around.

Should be fun.  It's not about the food.  It's about the friends and family.

If I'm made in God's image then God needs to lay off the corn chips and onion dip. Get some exercise, God! - Tatarigami

Boring but it has to be turkey. (none / 0) (#141)
by S1ack3rThanThou on Thu Nov 28, 2002 at 03:16:32 AM EST

And lots and lots of warm brown beer, and red wine, and gin, and whiskey, and port.... A traditional British christmas!:-)

"Remember what the dormouse said, feed your head..."
Latvian delights! (4.00 / 1) (#145)
by LittleStar on Thu Nov 28, 2002 at 10:53:37 AM EST

Being of Latvian heritage (one of the small Baltic countries) I have to have "piparcukas". The name literally means "pepper cakes", but actually it is a very thin cookie very similar in taste to a gingerbread cookie. But, the cool thing is they are really made with black pepper. I suppose that part of the delight in eating them comes from knowing the length of time it takes to make them, as the dough has to sit overnight for the best flavour.

Yams are also a favourite of mine at Christmas dinner, especially the way my mom makes them.

Yum, food.

littlestar.

Twinkle. Twinkle. Twinkle.
Eggnog? (5.00 / 1) (#146)
by Stereo on Thu Nov 28, 2002 at 10:55:20 AM EST

As a consequence of growing up in Luxembourg, I never learned how to make eggnog. Has anyone got a good recipe?

Also, does anyone know where to find root beer in Europe?

kuro5hin - Artes technicae et humaniores, a fossis

root beer (none / 0) (#156)
by yami on Tue Dec 10, 2002 at 10:02:10 PM EST

Most large cities have specialty shops for homesick Americans; ask your nearest expat.

___
I'm wanking harder than you are.
Killer cream of mushroom soup (none / 0) (#147)
by m42gal on Thu Nov 28, 2002 at 12:43:54 PM EST

During the last few years, I've researched ways to make Thanksgiving dinner as easy as possible. One year I made everything, over the next subsequent years I ordered from Webvan, Wholefoods, ect - not because I can't cook but because of the time element involved (I work full time). Last year, I made dinner reservations.

But one thing I always make is my cream of mushroom soup...from scratch with real cream and a variety of 'shrooms. It's best after letting it sit in the 'fridge for a day or so, then slowly warmed up. Serve with fresh, french bread, european butter (higher fat content), olives and a nice pinot noir. It is really a meal in and of itself

St.

The usual... (none / 0) (#148)
by NexusVoid on Thu Nov 28, 2002 at 12:52:00 PM EST

Just the usual suspects for me and mine on Thanksgiving - turkey, stuffing, yams, mashed potatoes etc.. We usually have a good white wine and/or egg nog (made with the sooper sekret family recipe) to drink.

Though, I'll admit that one year I want to be like John Madden and make a Turducken

our stuff (none / 0) (#152)
by shrubbery on Fri Nov 29, 2002 at 02:53:15 AM EST

On Thanksgiving we have our traditional turkey, mashed spuds, stuff etc.

But on Christmas, we usually have a traditional Cantonese feast although we live in North New Jersey. (Canton is in southeast China) We'll have our roasted meats such as soy sauce chicken, roasted pork, bbq'ed pork, duck as well as rice-noodles mixed with veggies. A few more obscure dishes would be salted-egg and pork cake (almost like a quiche) or Asian mushrooms and ground pork cake. You'd find this stuff at Chinese food markets but not at a takeout, which is a lot more Americanized.

just your typical (3.50 / 2) (#154)
by mincus on Fri Nov 29, 2002 at 12:26:18 PM EST

vegan thanksgiving....

we had a big fake turkey (but not that tofurky crap.) Mashed potatoes, candied yams, a bunch of veggies and such.

Stuffing. (none / 0) (#157)
by awyeah on Tue Dec 17, 2002 at 01:43:38 AM EST