Kuro5hin.org: technology and culture, from the trenches
create account | help/FAQ | contact | links | search | IRC | site news
[ Everything | Diaries | Technology | Science | Culture | Politics | Media | News | Internet | Op-Ed | Fiction | Meta | MLP ]
We need your support: buy an ad | premium membership

[P]
Ritin' fo' K5

By theboz in Meta
Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 04:53:56 PM EST
Tags: Humour (all tags)
Humour

There seems to be an uprising against intelligent communication on this site. Some users are rejecting their educations and saying things such as, "How they say it doesn't matter. I can understand it." I would like to take an opportunity to mock those people and categorize them so we can see how ridiculous they are, and how bored I am for doing this.


Typical AOLer Speak
A/S/L? u no some times i rite stuff here it is kewl cuz ppl no what i mean. we shud talk bout riting her so it is kewl. i dunno y ppl r all mad n junk wen i do this. i am kewl u no? peace.

Typical Linux Zealot
s0, 3y3 jUs w4nn4 c0mmUn1caT3 w/ sUm K-r4d h4x0rz. 3y3 d0n c4r3 1f W1nbl0wz lUz3rz c4n uNd3r5t4nD m4h l33tn3ss!!!111 L1nuX rUlex0rz!

The Foreigner
Vous tes tous infrieur moi! Je refuse de parler votre langue idiote quoique personne ne puisse me comprendre! Arc vers le bas avant moi! Viva la France!

The Limey
Piss off will ye, it's colour you dumb USian bastard, not color. You silly cunt, speak the way I tell you to because I am cultured, even if 95% of your readership is from USia. Arse pipe.

The U.S. Centric
For some reason, lots of people complain about my writing as being too US-centric. Well they're all a bunch of Jesse Helms wannabes who probably supported the DMCA and the beating of Rodney King. If I ever get beside them driving down I-17 I'm just going to speed up to 85mph, pass them, then slam on the brakes of my Chevy Impala, and there's not a damn thing they can do about it. I'll have to look out if I go to Kansas City though becuase you all know how the cops are there. Always at a Krispy Kreme.

The Geek
I don't understand^H^H^H^H^H^Hcomprehend why people always get so angry when I rite stuff. s/rite/write/g Am I that fscking difficult to understand? :wq!

The Academic
An armigerous person such as myself does not have the time nor the patience to bastardize my mellifluous language to appease this nevus of intellect. I assize that you are all dullards and I shall not waste my time any further with the proletariat. This site is the ossuary of the internet. I must epiruate myself from this place. I shall purge my nares of the stink of this oxter of a web site.

The Californian
So like, I, umm, did this stuff, and like, stuff. But nobody could like, tell what I was talking about, you know? Isn't that, like, the weirdest thing you've ever heard? Dude?

Kurobot A: The Self-Referential Wanker
This reminds me of that article I put a comment in two years ago about that topic Rusty and Inoshiro were discussing on IRC a few days ago. I can't believe that the guy who got kickbanned wrote that diary entry a few weeks ago and then did that thing he wrote about over on The Other Site, which I will not read because CmdrTaco is a fascist.

Kurobot B: The Asskisser
I have my opinion on this but you know, I think Rusty is absolutely right. We need to do exactly what he says and support him because he made this website, so he has to be an expert on microbiology. I think it will be funny and original for me to make "Inoshiro" a poll option today.

The Potty Mouth
God damn mother fuckers act like they can't fucking understand what the hell I'm talking about, but I know they're full of shit. Why the fucking hell do these sons of bitches get all fucking offended and shit when I post a single fucking comment? Don't those bastards have a fucking life instead of bitching at me all the damn time about my fucking language?

Le Artiste
who cares how I writE? i have decided to capitalize the last letter of a sentencE. Punctuation gets in the way of art too I can ignore it and it can help me grow physically mentally and spiritually do you understand now+ questions are a search for knowledge so i have substituted question marks with plus signs for the sake of my art dont you agree+ dont oppress my language ok+

Stream...of...thought
So...sometimes I write stuff that people don't understand...I remember when I was in 3rd grade I had a teacher...there was a monkey on TV...this is exactly why I don't think people should get mad at me for writing...I like cheese.

The Smiley
So. =) Let's talk about politics. =) Can you believe that all those terrorists murdered nearly 3000 people? =) =) =) =) I think it's a horrible tragedy that I can't write without smiling! =) =) =)

The Boz
I'm just the type of person who edits a story after it's already been posted. WOOHAH!

Sponsors

Voxel dot net
o Managed Hosting
o VoxCAST Content Delivery
o Raw Infrastructure

Login

Poll
What is the problem here?
o Ignorance 3%
o Arrogance 11%
o Low standards 12%
o Laziness 23%
o Stupidity 13%
o People are sheep 13%
o Tu much hookd awn fonix 8%
o I not having uh edukashun 9%

Votes: 205
Results | Other Polls

Related Links
o the guy
o Also by theboz


Display: Sort:
Ritin' fo' K5 | 215 comments (191 topical, 24 editorial, 1 hidden)
your forgot the artists (4.33 / 6) (#3)
by graal on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 01:01:43 PM EST

who bravely refuse to conform to the conventions of basic grammar viz. punctuation capitalization and sentence structure and clarity

--
For Thou hast commanded, and so it is, that every
inordinate affection should be its own punishment.
-- St. Augustine (Confessions, i)

You mean... (3.50 / 4) (#11)
by Trollificus on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 01:47:24 PM EST

...like this guy? ;)

"The separation of church and state is a fiction. The nation is the kingdom of God, period."
--Bishop Harold Calvin Ray of West Palm Beach, FL
[ Parent ]

Quite amusing... (3.33 / 3) (#42)
by bigbtommy on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 05:17:01 PM EST

It's quite funny that he's writing articles on the fact that music is becoming commercialised and processed, yet fits in with the "txt msg" writing style.

If you want to write a damn article, write it properly. Replacing "to" with the number two does not make you clever. In fact, quite the reverse...
-- bbCity.co.uk - When I see kids, I speed up
[ Parent ]

Unsubstantiated generalizations (none / 0) (#126)
by trane on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 12:57:05 PM EST

Replacing "to" with the number two does not make you clever. In fact, quite the reverse...

You have evidence data to support this claim?

[ Parent ]

www.aol.com (nt) (none / 0) (#140)
by Trollificus on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 03:09:05 PM EST

;p~

"The separation of church and state is a fiction. The nation is the kingdom of God, period."
--Bishop Harold Calvin Ray of West Palm Beach, FL
[ Parent ]

Yes I do. (none / 0) (#208)
by bigbtommy on Wed Sep 11, 2002 at 05:19:48 PM EST

It's called my opinion. I was voicing my opinion, and my comment agrees with my opinion. And I believe that writing an article and replacing the word "to" with "2" does not make you clever. It makes you l33t h4x0r. Not something to be strived for...
-- bbCity.co.uk - When I see kids, I speed up
[ Parent ]
I managed to read the whole thing... (none / 0) (#139)
by Trollificus on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 03:08:18 PM EST

...but I'm being completely serious when I say that article gave me a headache about two paragraphs into it.
Unbelievable how hard that was to digest.

"The separation of church and state is a fiction. The nation is the kingdom of God, period."
--Bishop Harold Calvin Ray of West Palm Beach, FL
[ Parent ]

That sig rocks (nt) (none / 0) (#79)
by Alethes on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 08:00:13 PM EST



[ Parent ]
sig recognized from Culture Made Stupid (none / 0) (#120)
by svillee on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 10:07:18 AM EST

Phud! Bashe! Crasch! Beoom! De bigge gye
Eallum his bon brak, byt his nose offe;
Wicced Godsylla waeld on his asse.
Monstaer moppe fleor wyth eallum men in haelle.

That is from "Culture Made Stupid" by Tom Weller. His "Science Made Stupid" is pretty good too.

[ Parent ]

Yes Indeedy. (none / 0) (#147)
by graal on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 09:44:46 PM EST

I thought the whole thing was a bit long for a sig. This couplet sort of captures the spirit of the whole thing.

--
For Thou hast commanded, and so it is, that every
inordinate affection should be its own punishment.
-- St. Augustine (Confessions, i)
[ Parent ]

What about fools? (4.50 / 10) (#7)
by United Fools on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 01:12:54 PM EST

Fools are a large portion of the contributors to K5. Do you have an entry for us?
We are united, we are fools, and we are America!
gald someone finaly said it!!! (3.50 / 6) (#9)
by troll on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 01:23:43 PM EST

im glad someone finaly said it cause i hate it when people say they dont understand me when i just said it clear as day and whay cant there just read!?!?

i hope other pepople take it to hart and stop getting all hiped out about what other people say and whether or not it is perfect this isnt school you know you dont get graded unless your one of those loosers that posts there eassays to the que before they turn it in so that they get free advice the loosers.

the only thing is those academuic people shouldnt use such big words cause not everyones been to college yet so they should remember that. And foriegn people should translate or something its not like they cant just use babblefish to let us all know what they said cause we have even taken french yet and some of us took spanish so how the heck are we supposed to know!?!?
-----trolls arms just grow back!!!

Don't forget: (3.00 / 2) (#12)
by AmberEyes on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 01:47:41 PM EST

"The Duxup
Potty Mouth."

-AmberEyes


"But you [AmberEyes] have never admitted defeat your entire life, so why should you start now. It seems the only perfect human being since Jesus Christ himself is in our presence." -my Uncle Dean
Duxup didn't create that (1.42 / 7) (#23)
by Nine Eleven on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 03:02:37 PM EST

It was created by another user; he simply started using it and folks incorrectly thought that he was the originator.

Truly a sad, sad turn of events.

[ Parent ]

Hahaha. (2.33 / 6) (#14)
by m0rzo on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 02:25:06 PM EST

heh.. funny shit ;x heh.. lmao..+1fp..heh.


My last sig was just plain offensive.

Wha gwan heeya? (3.28 / 7) (#16)
by JahToasted on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 02:37:52 PM EST

Wey di yardie dem? Mi ciaan see any a mi peeps on de list dey sa. Di people on dis heeya site all from forin, yu nuh no patwa. Mi a go bun a kiki wit mi bredrin nuh. Blessed.
______
"I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames" -- Jim Morrison
Mwen dak. (1.00 / 1) (#35)
by ti jean on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 04:37:08 PM EST

Men se move pou mwen pase move pou ou, paske mounn nan paj sa a pa kon li sa m di. Patwa pa ou gen anpil pawol ki gen an Angle; l mounn ki nan k5 yo li sa w ekri, yo ka konnen kk pawol. Se pa konsa pou mwen :(.

[ Parent ]
RAAAASSS CLAAAATT!!! [NT] (3.00 / 2) (#37)
by JahToasted on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 04:47:58 PM EST


______
"I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames" -- Jim Morrison
[ Parent ]
Claat Star!!!! :D (none / 0) (#154)
by RampagingSimian on Sun Sep 08, 2002 at 01:07:48 PM EST

Ah wha dis me fi guh see pon ah K5???
Is like..me encr^H^H^H^Hhencrypt it!
Easy out Ras....

[ Parent ]
Usa called Jar Jar Binks? (nt) (none / 0) (#212)
by pediddle on Thu Sep 12, 2002 at 07:48:49 AM EST



[ Parent ]
weird poll results (3.33 / 3) (#25)
by eudas on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 03:24:40 PM EST

Ignorance
   0 votes - 0 %
Arrogance
   0 votes - 0 %
Low standards
   0 votes - 0 %
Laziness
   1 vote - 10 %
Stupidity
   0 votes - 0 %
People are sheep
   0 votes - 0 %
Tu much hookd awn fonix
   0 votes - 0 %
I not having uh edukashun
   0 votes - 0 %

10 Total Votes
"We're placing this wood in your ass for the good of the world" -- mrgoat

Sorry (1.00 / 1) (#28)
by theboz on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 03:44:47 PM EST

I made a quick edit to fix something when the story was in voting mode. I guess it does weird stuff with the poll. It should be fixed now though.

Stuff.
[ Parent ]

How do you edit when it's in voting? (nt) (none / 0) (#88)
by fluffy grue on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 09:12:29 PM EST



[ Parent ]
+1 (3.50 / 8) (#32)
by number33 on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 04:13:04 PM EST

Glad you addressed this "U.S. centric" lameness.  I like how someone can criticize an author for being U.S. centric when he writes "September 11" without converting that date into every equivalent date on differing calendars.  What a crime!  I suppose we also ought to convert currency for every conceivable nationality that reads K5.

U.S. centric?  Gimme a break.  You're just being your-own-country centric.

subscriber feature! (4.42 / 7) (#40)
by Perianwyr on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 05:06:03 PM EST

I know! Instant currency conversion for posting! When you write in something like "my 2 cents", k5 will pick it up and change it to things like "my two pesetas" or "my 2 yen" or "my 2 AK rounds", depending on the location you've set in your user preferences.

Perfection!

[ Parent ]

Internationalistion/localisation (3.00 / 2) (#45)
by DodgyGeezer on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 05:34:24 PM EST

Wouldn't that be nice if K5 served up pages based on the Accept-Language HTTP header field? Spelling, dates, currency, terminology, etc. Plus, run it through the fish and/or The Dialecti[sz]er. On second thoughts, that would all probably require too much CPU and K5 has enough slow downs as it is.

[ Parent ]
but (none / 0) (#94)
by blisspix on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 09:41:43 PM EST

given that this is largely a US site (not defined as such, but populated as such) I usually have the decency to indicate some crucial regional differences, such as what currency I'm using. $60 is meaningless unless you're telling me what currency you're using. Is that US$60, A$60, or somewhere else?

There's actually a large Australian contingent here, so I'm sure I'm not the only one that gets confused from time to time! :)

[ Parent ]

Nation field? (none / 0) (#114)
by number33 on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 04:51:35 AM EST

True, true.  Perhaps k5 ought to just implement a field for the author's country?

[ Parent ]
Excellent (3.66 / 6) (#33)
by kphrak on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 04:32:55 PM EST

Absolutely hilarious. Mostly because your mockery of these kinds of people is perfectly accurate. +1FP.


Describe yourself in your sig!
American computer programmer, living in Portland, OR.


Crap, I forgot one. (4.57 / 19) (#36)
by CaptainSuperBoy on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 04:47:56 PM EST

Ah well I missed the edit queue.. but here's one.

The obsessive 'sarcastic quoter.'

Hi, I am unable to 'coherently' respond to other people's 'opinions' so I resort to using 'sarcastic quotes' around terms I don't 'agree' with. It is your 'job' to pore over everything I 'write' and decide what new meaning I 'confer' upon words by surrounding them with punctuation. If you fail to grasp my 'meaning,' it is only because you are used to reading arguments that have an 'actual point' to them.

--
jimmysquid.com - I take pictures.

AKA The Simpsons Comic Book Guy [nt] (3.50 / 4) (#38)
by Malvoisin on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 05:01:07 PM EST



[ Parent ]
Lollapalooza (5.00 / 4) (#47)
by Dephex Twin on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 05:50:31 PM EST

"Yeah, Cannonball homer is cool."

"Dude, are you being sarcastic?"

"I don't even know anymore, man."


Alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. -- Homer Simpson
[ Parent ]

Another one (3.70 / 10) (#39)
by KilljoyAZ on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 05:05:08 PM EST

What about the guys who RANDOMLY spell words all in caps for EMPHASIS. Bigger letters mean that you are MORE correct, apparently. And if it's EXTRA important, they will pull out the BIG guns - *ASTERISKS* around their all caps words.

===
Creativitiy cannot be SPELT by over 98% of all American troops. - psychologist
[ Parent ]
I knew of a guy who did that (3.37 / 8) (#44)
by Stick on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 05:29:39 PM EST

He was a convicted child rapist, and quite insane.


---
Stick, thine posts bring light to mine eyes, tingles to my loins. Yea, each moment I sit, my monitor before me, waiting, yearning, needing your prose to make the moment complete. - Joh3n
[ Parent ]
Not always sarcastic (4.00 / 2) (#90)
by Josh A on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 09:18:57 PM EST

I hope readers will draw a distinction between 'sarcastic' quoting and 'careful' quoting... not everyone is trying to confuse with them.

Quotes seem to me a useful way to highlight generalities that might be misinterpreted, leading to miscommunication and sometimes pointless conflict.

I hope when you spot them they raise a flag along the lines of "Is it possible this person means something different than I would with that word, and therefore might not be the complete idiot/genius I'm inclined to assume s/he is?"

---
Thank God for Canada, if only because they annoy the Republicans so much. – Blarney


[ Parent ]
Ok... (2.00 / 1) (#95)
by broody on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 09:51:22 PM EST

you got me. I am 'guilty'.


~~ Whatever it takes
[ Parent ]
Forgot the *WORST* kind... (3.28 / 25) (#41)
by pla on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 05:10:47 PM EST

Click <down arrow>
Click "1"
Click "Rate all"
Rinse, Lather, Repeat

For the most part, I get decent comment ratings. But every time I see a "1" and yet somehow have no replies to my comment, it just really bothers me. Do people actually have such an overwhelming lack of eloquence (or 30 seconds of time) that they can't jot down a quick "Your point sucks because... tomatoes actually count as fruit"?

I don't care that someone dislikes what I say, *no one* can please everyone, and I don't even try. But if people don't give a reason for their dislike, even if they have a damned good idea that may well change my whole world-view (okay, unlikely, but it *could* happen), I only see an uninformative "1".

(Of course, now I fully expect to see about two dozen "1"s to this <G>)

Rating people down without commenting (2.16 / 6) (#48)
by porkchop_d_clown on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 05:53:02 PM EST

Is the intellectual equivalent of flicking boogers at your enemies, and about as effective.


--
I lost my job, my friends and my wife in just one evening. Ask me how!


[ Parent ]

My comment (1.33 / 3) (#50)
by dipierro on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 05:57:45 PM EST

No it isn't. And effective at what? What is supposed to be the effect of rating someone?

[ Parent ]
If it has no effect, why do you do it? (1.75 / 4) (#53)
by porkchop_d_clown on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 06:00:19 PM EST

Engaging in a little mental masturbation, are we?

Admit it - you down rate people because you don't actually have anything to contribute, but it makes you feel superior to try to tear others down.


--
I lost my job, my friends and my wife in just one evening. Ask me how!


[ Parent ]

Sorta (3.50 / 2) (#68)
by dipierro on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 06:52:09 PM EST

Admit it - you down rate people because you don't actually have anything to contribute

Of course, if I have something to contribute I'll respond, not rate.

but it makes you feel superior to try to tear others down.

Well, yes, but that's why I respond, not why I rate.



[ Parent ]
By the way (3.00 / 1) (#70)
by dipierro on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 06:53:21 PM EST

you pointed out the reason not to respond to someone you rate. Because they'll rate you down in retaliation.

[ Parent ]
About your sig (none / 0) (#170)
by Zathrus on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 10:54:27 AM EST

"I lost my job, my friends and my wife in just one evening. Ask me how!"
How?


"like a Mazda commercial with that creepy "zoom zoom" kid that goes on too long." - Filthy Critic
[ Parent ]
Let's just say. (none / 0) (#192)
by porkchop_d_clown on Tue Sep 10, 2002 at 09:22:14 AM EST

It involves a multi-level product sales strategy, six pints of whipped cream and a canary.


--
I lost my job, my friends and my wife in just one evening. Ask me how!


[ Parent ]

Moderation. (4.50 / 2) (#59)
by pla on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 06:24:18 PM EST

What is supposed to be the effect of rating someone?

Ratings serve two (obvious) purposes...

In an ideal situation, ratings let others quickly scan a page containing a few hundred responses to find the "best" ones. While a "1" rating helps in that regard, people use them to express disagreement on PERSONAL, rather than informational, grounds. Posting a very well-written comment on abortion will earn a person *far* more "1" votes than writing some piece of crap about why blue cars get better mileage than red cars. This runs *directly* against the idea of ratings as a way to quickly find the "best" comments.

Second, comments provide a way to agree or disagree with a poster's point. Although this might sound hypocritical (in its contraryness with my objection to rating without commenting) on the surface, consider this - If I vote a 4 or 5 with no comment, I've basically said "I agree". If I agree, any comment I post would likely just repeat portions of what the parent said. On the other hand, if I post a "1", it means I *disagree*. If I disagree, I must either have some alternative opinion on the issue, or some information the parent does not. By not sharing that opinion or information, I would contribute nothing to the discussion.

Overall I don't mind people who vote "1". Just people who do so without any comments.



[ Parent ]
well (4.50 / 4) (#71)
by dipierro on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 07:01:14 PM EST

In an ideal situation, ratings let others quickly scan a page containing a few hundred responses to find the "best" ones.

Seems like rating without commenting is quite effective for that.

While a "1" rating helps in that regard, people use them to express disagreement on PERSONAL, rather than informational, grounds

Some do. I generally don't. Unless you mean disagreement on facts.

Posting a very well-written comment on abortion will earn a person *far* more "1" votes than writing some piece of crap about why blue cars get better mileage than red cars.

I have found that to be generally false.

Second, comments provide a way to agree or disagree with a poster's point. Although this might sound hypocritical (in its contraryness with my objection to rating without commenting) on the surface, consider this - If I vote a 4 or 5 with no comment, I've basically said "I agree".

I generally do that only when the comment is a reply to one of mine. Basically, when the other person has won the argument, and I don't feel like posting "Yeah, you're right" I'll vote 5. If they've made a good point and I don't feel like posting "Yeah, that's a good point, but I still disagree", I'll usually vote 4.

But I don't think you should vote based solely on agreement or disagreement in other circumstances.

But ya know what. That's just my particular rating system. We each have our own, and unless they go directly against something in the FAQ, they're all equally acceptable.

There should be a rating guideline in the FAQ. The biggest problem with ratings is that each person has different guidelines they follow. As such they are pretty much useless.

One thing that people do seem to understand is when to rate 0 and when not to. Not all people, but the majority, anyway. 0s are for crap. Absolute, complete crap.



[ Parent ]
"There should be a rating guideline in the FA (none / 0) (#165)
by codemonkey_uk on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 05:15:56 AM EST

There is.
---
Thad
"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there is no good evidence either way." - Bertrand Russell
[ Parent ]
Yeah (none / 0) (#175)
by dipierro on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 01:35:24 PM EST

I guess we should just force people to read it, monthly, in order to rate :).

[ Parent ]
new rating policy? (4.00 / 3) (#73)
by ebatsky on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 07:09:04 PM EST

Why not have two rating options, one for quality and one for personal opinion? Obviously, it will be abused by some people who'll vote 1 on both, but hopefully the personal opinion vote will satisfy at least some who would rate a post 1 just for the need to vent their anger or whatever it is.

[ Parent ]
Why not (3.00 / 1) (#75)
by dipierro on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 07:18:53 PM EST

get rid of voting altogether. It's stupid.

[ Parent ]
Because (3.00 / 1) (#163)
by Mysidia on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 01:54:51 AM EST

Although you find it stupid, some find it useful.

Anyone can just set Sort: ignore ratings, anyhow, so it's not as if it's an issue.



-Mysidia the insane @k5
[ Parent ]
Slashdot system? (2.00 / 2) (#104)
by kholmes on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 12:01:59 AM EST

Just doing -1 Troll or +1 Insightful would be good, yes?

If you treat people as most people treat things and treat things as most people treat people, you might be a Randian.
[ Parent ]
A bit more, yes (3.00 / 2) (#125)
by J'raxis on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 12:39:05 PM EST

If the K5 ratings had names attached to the numbers, it would be a bit more helpful. If I post something that’s say, considered offtopic, what’s better? A bunch of mysterious 1 ratings (like the current system), a bunch of 1 ratings with one-line replies that say Offtopic! [nt] (like the top post asks for), or a bunch of 1:Offtopic ratings?

— The Raxis

[ J’raxis·Com | Liberty in your lifetime ]
[ Parent ]

It does (none / 0) (#164)
by codemonkey_uk on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 05:13:07 AM EST

"If the K5 ratings had names attached to the numbers..."
It does.
---
Thad
"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there is no good evidence either way." - Bertrand Russell
[ Parent ]
I think he meant (none / 0) (#187)
by dipierro on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 10:25:43 PM EST

reasons by "names".

[ Parent ]
Your post sucks because... (2.66 / 3) (#49)
by dipierro on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 05:55:01 PM EST

I didn't learn anything interesting from it.

[ Parent ]
Because it takes longer than 30 seconds. (4.50 / 2) (#51)
by nstenz on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 05:58:48 PM EST

It took 20-30 seconds to load up this reply page, then a few more to type this.

I hope rusty =) gets the server =) fixed soon. =) =)

[ Parent ]

I think you gave somebody ideas (2.00 / 1) (#57)
by DodgyGeezer on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 06:21:21 PM EST

We've found a real mature one by the name of Yabl0. Give him a break though, he's obviously lead a very sheltered life and never really got beyond the suburbs of Denver - judging by his only comment (he can respond what he likes, but I lived in Denver for three years and know how wrong he is).



At the time of posting, his ratings were:



1) Quite amusing... [1.00], by bigbtommy, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 05:17:01 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:35 PM EST</font>

2) weird poll results [1.00], by eudas, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 03:24:40 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:35 PM EST

3) Forgot the *WORST* kind... [3.00], by pla, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 05:10:47 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:34 PM EST

4) Excellent [3.00], by kphrak, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 04:32:55 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:34 PM EST

5) Wha gwan heeya? [3.66], by JahToasted, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 02:37:52 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:34 PM EST

6) subscriber feature! [4.20], by Perianwyr, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 05:06:03 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:33 PM EST

7) +1 [2.80], by number33, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 04:13:04 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:32 PM EST

8) Duxup didn't create that [1.25], by Nine Eleven, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 03:02:37 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:31 PM EST

9) Hahaha. [2.66], by m0rzo, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 02:25:06 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:31 PM EST

10) Don't forget: [3.00], by AmberEyes, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 01:47:41 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:31 PM EST

11) You mean... [3.00], by Trollificus, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 01:47:24 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:30 PM EST

12) gald someone finaly said it!!! [3.66], by troll, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 01:23:43 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:30 PM EST

13) What about fools? [4.20], by United Fools, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 01:12:54 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:30 PM EST

14) Another one [2.50], by KilljoyAZ, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 05:05:08 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:29 PM EST

15) your forgot the artists [3.66], by graal, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 01:01:43 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:29 PM EST

16) Five points [1.00], by kholmes, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 05:38:50 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:28 PM EST

17) Internationalistion/localisation [1.00], by DodgyGeezer, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 05:34:24 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:28 PM EST

18) AKA The Simpsons Comic Book Guy [nt] [1.00], by Malvoisin, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 05:01:07 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:28 PM EST

19) RAAAASSS CLAAAATT!!! [NT] [1.00], by JahToasted, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 04:47:58 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:27 PM EST

20) Crap, I forgot one. [4.20], by CaptainSuperBoy, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 04:47:56 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:27 PM EST

21) I knew of a guy who did that [2.33], by Stick, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 05:29:39 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:26 PM EST

22) you rule [2.40], by turmeric, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 05:23:55 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:26 PM EST

23) Sorry [1.00], by theboz, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 03:44:47 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:26 PM EST

24) Mwen dak. [1.00], by ti jean, Rated: 1
Posted on 09/06/2002 04:37:08 PM EST
Rated on 09/06/2002 05:50:25 PM EST

[ Parent ]

Circular reference (3.00 / 1) (#58)
by DodgyGeezer on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 06:23:38 PM EST

That's the second time I've done that this week. It should have been: Yabl0

[ Parent ]
pi (4.00 / 1) (#112)
by number33 on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 02:59:59 AM EST

Speaking of circles, the current average rating for the initial comment is 3.14.

[ Parent ]
What a prick (3.00 / 1) (#63)
by CaptainSuperBoy on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 06:33:36 PM EST

Moron modstorms an entire story and doesn't even bother to post why he is so offended. I only modstorm as a response to blatant modding of my comments. And I've only done that once, to minus273.

--
jimmysquid.com - I take pictures.
[ Parent ]
An alternative to modstorming (4.75 / 4) (#91)
by KilljoyAZ on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 09:21:06 PM EST

When I get modstormed, the offender has demonstrated the ability to rate unfairly. So I just go through his comment history and give 5's to the last 20 people who he gave 1's to. Much more constructive, I think.

===
Creativitiy cannot be SPELT by over 98% of all American troops. - psychologist
[ Parent ]
Good idea (3.00 / 1) (#100)
by DodgyGeezer on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 11:34:52 PM EST

I was bored... so I did ;)

What a load of silliness.

[ Parent ]

moderation... (4.60 / 5) (#72)
by eudas on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 07:08:08 PM EST

part of the problem with kuro5hin moderation is that you can take aim at others without being susceptible to being poked yourself.

case in point: modstorming by new accounts.

person can sign up a brand new account, moderate everything you write a '1', kill your trusted user access (not that that matters much anyway), and thereby ruin your mojo, all without you being able to so much as counter-rate him a single '1' in return.

basically, the more you contribute to k5 the more exposed to this type of attack you are.

just my $0.02.

eudas
"We're placing this wood in your ass for the good of the world" -- mrgoat
[ Parent ]

Everyone had the same joke (3.80 / 5) (#89)
by egg troll on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 09:16:23 PM EST

I see about seven people thought it would be funny to mod you as a 1. How witty of them. Maybe I should be the eighth because then it would be EIGHT TIMES as funny!

He's a bondage fan, a gastronome, a sensualist
Unparalleled for sinister lasciviousness.

[ Parent ]

Hey! (4.00 / 1) (#162)
by porkchop_d_clown on Sun Sep 08, 2002 at 10:34:32 PM EST

You mean I wasted my time creating those seven extra accounts?


--
I lost my job, my friends and my wife in just one evening. Ask me how!


[ Parent ]

w/o comments (4.66 / 3) (#127)
by adiffer on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 01:04:01 PM EST

When I rate down without commenting, I am trying to put out a buoy to mark the sand bars on this site.  I might not have much else to say about a comment except that I think people may want to avoid it.  You are always welcome to your opinion, but I won't argue it unless I think there is value in the argument.

I don't mark many sand bars, though.  Most of them are already marked by the time I notice them.

-Dream Big.
--Grow Up.
[ Parent ]

1 ratings (4.00 / 2) (#132)
by trane on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 01:30:21 PM EST

usually means I don't agree with the post and the reasons have been amply explained in other comments.

[ Parent ]
you rule (1.92 / 13) (#43)
by turmeric on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 05:23:55 PM EST

hahahahahahahhaa

Five points (2.81 / 11) (#46)
by kholmes on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 05:38:50 PM EST

First, I like Geek posts. Its not just the shortcuts with regexs and all, but there is this subtle two-dimensional humor that makes such posts worth it. Thats one of the reasons I read Slashdot. Also, are we to ban IMHO and IIRC as well? Or can we consider such things as part of the online culture? IOW, it would be a good idea to learn them if you're new.

Second, I understand the anti-US sentiment. But wouldn't an exception be in obviously US-centric articles and threads? That way we don't have qualify "Well in the US" all the time.

Third, I understand why people are frustrated with the college level vocabulary in The Academic. I get frustrated sometimes too so now I keep a dictionary on my desk while reading online. What still bites me is when people use latin phrases.

Fourth, I honestly don't see a lot of what has been mocked in the article. So my suggestion is to relax a little and let the site evolve naturally.

Fifth, whats an arse pipe?

If you treat people as most people treat things and treat things as most people treat people, you might be a Randian.

Speaking of dictionaries... (none / 0) (#78)
by Chris Marsh on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 07:53:59 PM EST

Mine says that "armigerous" means bearing arms.  This might have been subtle humor on your part, but the other words I had to look up seemed correct.

[ Parent ]
Arse pipe (none / 0) (#81)
by DodgyGeezer on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 08:03:13 PM EST

I thought it was supposed to be "arse wipe". That's wot me and me mates used to say when I was growing up in Blighty.

[ Parent ]
The meaning of "arse pipe" (none / 0) (#92)
by theboz on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 09:25:44 PM EST

Perhaps you should ask this guy, as I believe he coined the phrase.

Stuff.
[ Parent ]

i'm an academic but... (4.00 / 1) (#93)
by blisspix on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 09:37:29 PM EST

I hate big words. Isn't it ironic?

My thesis is totally devoid of unnecessary grammar. I'm chuffed that I've managed to circumvent what is probably the most crucial aspect of academia, learning to write so tht nobody can understand you.

[ Parent ]

uh oh (4.00 / 1) (#129)
by adiffer on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 01:18:31 PM EST

If you write so people can understand you, they might think your subject matter is so simple that it doesn't deserve to be considered original research.

Obtuseness is a good defense against annoying questions.  It is also a sure way to collect dust on a library shelf.

Thanks for breaking the mold.

-Dream Big.
--Grow Up.
[ Parent ]

You forgot (4.16 / 12) (#52)
by godix on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 05:59:49 PM EST

Kurobot C: The liberal prick

Feels compelled to post 'Bush is a dictator and Ashcroft is a nazi' in middle of an article about Mac OSX.


Don't mind the plummeting noise, mojo always makes that sound after I post.


But.. (4.00 / 1) (#54)
by AnalogBoy on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 06:12:22 PM EST

Bush IS a dictator and Ashcroft IS a nazi!

Actually bush is too ignorant to be a dictator, and Ashcroft is too nazi to be a nazi.
--
Save the environment, plant a Bush back in Texas.
Religous Tolerance (And click a banner while you're there)
[ Parent ]

GWB (5.00 / 6) (#62)
by kphrak on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 06:31:57 PM EST

I'm sure Bush is evil no one has any idea what he's destroying the environment you're talking about. After Ashcroft = Satan all, even if Kurobot type C has only one thing on its mind save Palestine, at least it has a mind the election was stolen, which is more than the average person he'll kill us all, I mean it! has. After all, they only do he's bad because he's Republican what they're told to do, and once Heil Ashcroft! we take over, WE'LL tell them what to it's a right-wing conspiracy do and everything will fall into place. For now civil liberties are at an end we've got to keep pushing the he's wrecked the economy same words in front of people's eyes in whatever America is now Nazi Germany way we can, even if they're sick of it, so we can WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!! raise Public Awareness.

I'm done being sarcastic; we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.


Describe yourself in your sig!
American computer programmer, living in Portland, OR.


[ Parent ]
Man the depth charges, Ensign! (4.33 / 6) (#66)
by porkchop_d_clown on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 06:37:15 PM EST

There's one of them there liminal subs off the starboard bow!


--
I lost my job, my friends and my wife in just one evening. Ask me how!


[ Parent ]

OSX rulez; Ashcroft is Nazi [nt] (5.00 / 2) (#102)
by HypoLuxa on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 11:44:32 PM EST



--
I'm guided by the beauty of our weapons.
- Leonard Cohen
[ Parent ]
Personally, I plead "laziness" (3.00 / 1) (#55)
by Pop Top on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 06:16:01 PM EST



You forgot to add [NT]! [NT] (none / 0) (#65)
by porkchop_d_clown on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 06:35:53 PM EST


--
I lost my job, my friends and my wife in just one evening. Ask me how!


[ Parent ]

Doesn't this make you a "Kurobot A" (4.16 / 6) (#56)
by sanity on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 06:18:58 PM EST

Wow, an article on Kuro5hin about the different types of people who write articles and comments on Kuro5hin - isn't that self-referential?

You Too. (none / 0) (#97)
by chunder on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 10:41:14 PM EST

And me.

[ Parent ]
Ouch... (4.42 / 7) (#60)
by Kaki Nix Sain on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 06:27:28 PM EST

... That one about the academic hit a bit close to home. I've actually put forth the, "I wasn't trying to sound smarter than you, I just happen to actually think in big words. Sorry they make you uncomfortable, but I'm not going to loose the precision and power of my vocabulary just for you." position.

Of course, I still feel the same way.

As for the geek: Why the "!" at the end? You had a "w" there, so you wanted to write the changes, so I would think that you wouldn't want to force the quit if it didn't work. Whatever.



Loose? LOOSE?!?!?! (nt) (none / 0) (#64)
by fluffy grue on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 06:35:34 PM EST



[ Parent ]
Yeah, you know, "to relax; to loosen"... (2.00 / 1) (#84)
by Kaki Nix Sain on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 08:41:29 PM EST

... "to make less strict", "a letting go; discharge", "to set sail"... or something.

It is ironic that I meant to type "lose", fucked up, and used "loose" instead. It is super ironic that you were trying to make me look bad, fucked up, and didn't look up the word. If you had, you would have seen that "loose" actually works quite well in the context to express the idea I had in mind. I guess the joke is on both of us. :)

Anyway, I said I think in big words, not that I spell them out in my head or can spell them in general.



[ Parent ]

Bah (5.00 / 1) (#87)
by fluffy grue on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 09:06:34 PM EST

"loose" is typically used as an adjective, not a verb. As a verb it seems to require a helper verb; for example, "let loose" or "turn loose."

And I wasn't trying to make you look bad, I was just being silly.
--
"Is a sentence fragment" is a sentence fragment.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]
[ Parent ]

Is a verb on its own (none / 0) (#101)
by dmcnaught on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 11:39:50 PM EST

"He hath loosed the fateful lightning from His terrible swift sword"

[ Parent ]
Verbing weirds language (nt) (none / 0) (#103)
by fluffy grue on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 11:47:28 PM EST



[ Parent ]
several cases in LOTR (none / 0) (#109)
by Anonymous 7324 on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 01:41:36 AM EST

where loose is used as a verb. I'm too lazy to grep my etexts right now, however.

[ Parent ]
It's a perfectly cromulent word. (nt) (none / 0) (#119)
by Lemur on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 08:43:41 AM EST



[ Parent ]
Too bad cromulent isn't ;) (nt) (none / 0) (#123)
by fluffy grue on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 11:42:33 AM EST


--
"Is a sentence fragment" is a sentence fragment.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]
[ Parent ]

Don't you mean "Verbing weirds languaging&quo (none / 0) (#138)
by Kaki Nix Sain on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 02:52:38 PM EST



[ Parent ]
No, that makes no sense (nt) (none / 0) (#141)
by fluffy grue on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 03:57:55 PM EST


--
"Is a sentence fragment" is a sentence fragment.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]
[ Parent ]

Almost, but not quite (none / 0) (#124)
by epepke on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 12:15:58 PM EST

Loosing one's vocabulary or the power of one's vocabulary might be considered a strategy for intimidating.

However, to loose the precision of one's vocabulary makes no sense. Nice try, though.


The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.--Terry Pratchett


[ Parent ]
It could be used to say ... (none / 0) (#137)
by Kaki Nix Sain on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 02:50:20 PM EST

... that one is going to unleash the precision, sure. Or it could refer to making the precision relaxed and less strict. However, in the case of my original unintended use, one would have had to have loosed one's grammar a bit for the sentence to read as grammatical.



[ Parent ]

:w! forces write on a read-only file (n/t) (none / 0) (#77)
by prolefeed on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 07:42:00 PM EST



[ Parent ]
Even after the "q"? (none / 0) (#82)
by Kaki Nix Sain on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 08:23:50 PM EST

I would think that it forces the quit and not the write. Maybe it forces both. Off into the vim manual I go...



[ Parent ]

it forces... (5.00 / 1) (#85)
by mduell on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 08:47:22 PM EST

It forces both.

[ Parent ]
^[ZZ (none / 0) (#113)
by wanders on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 03:06:01 AM EST


~
~
:x
[ Parent ]
You also forgot (3.66 / 9) (#61)
by Oh Man on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 06:28:01 PM EST

Grammar Nazi

Listen people, the world is about to end, and the only way you can save it is to use "ITS", not "it's" for the possesive of it ..................

or whatever

Grammar Nazi? (4.55 / 9) (#67)
by porkchop_d_clown on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 06:40:45 PM EST

My Grammar tweren't no Nazi. Sure she was strict, but in those days everybody was butt-whooping their kids with a riding crop.

Weren't they?


--
I lost my job, my friends and my wife in just one evening. Ask me how!


[ Parent ]

You forgot to put a period after 'whatever.' [n/t] (4.00 / 5) (#69)
by xah on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 06:52:16 PM EST



[ Parent ]
Nazis propagate on k5 (none / 0) (#76)
by TurboThy on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 07:36:08 PM EST

Today it's the Grammar Nazis, yesterday it was the Dairy Nazis!
__
'Someone will sig this comment. They will. I know it.' [Egil Skallagrimson]
[ Parent ]
Dairy? (none / 0) (#174)
by Kintanon on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 01:23:08 PM EST

Are the putting cows into concentration camps now? Oh the humanity!!

Kintanon


[ Parent ]

Kurobot D (4.40 / 5) (#74)
by Rogerborg on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 07:11:51 PM EST

Meta / Humour: the last refuge of a demagogue that's fresh out of ideas.  For shame, sir.  If you have nothing to say, please spare us your diary entries.

"Exterminate all rational thought." - W.S. Burroughs

...And Kurobot E (5.00 / 1) (#80)
by Ranger Rick on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 08:01:24 PM EST

Dump It (-1) -- seen it before

Back when this site only had 3 visitors, someone wrote a story that somewhat resembled this one, and therefor we're never allowed to speak about this subject again.  I especially want to make sure that those of us who religiously read this site every 30 minutes will never have the possibility of ever seeing a word they might have seen before, because they are physically unable to just skip past an article.

:wq!


[ Parent ]
Wow. (4.00 / 3) (#83)
by RobotSlave on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 08:38:26 PM EST

All that, and not one mention of the Adequoids.

This, I think, is a promising sign.

Arguing geeks (3.50 / 4) (#86)
by bigsexyjoe on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 08:53:37 PM EST

My favorite kind of thread is the geek argument. Two or more geeks argue about if Getti Lee is a good singer or not or they argue about FreeBSD or whatever. They get into a big arguement, they generally argee but have a different way of phrasing things, though. They both keep posting and never lose patience and just give up. They eventually just criticize each others grammar and insult each other.

You for got "The Pedant" (none / 0) (#118)
by Lemur on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 08:39:18 AM EST

ITYM Geddy Lee.

:)



[ Parent ]
Oi you there! (4.81 / 16) (#96)
by FeersumAsura on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 09:54:13 PM EST

The Limey
Piss off will ye, it's colour you dumb USian bastard, not color. You silly cunt, speak the way I tell you to because I am cultured, even if 95% of your readership is from USia. Arse pipe.



Let's get a proper translation. First off "Piss of will ye", we are not bogsnorklers from Ireland. The correct phrase is just piss off. Then try "it's colour not color you stupid yank." A nicer way is "you stupid cunt" instead of "you silly cunt" cunt meant to be on of the more offensive swear words available. Let's string it together.

"Piss off, it's colour not color you stupid yank. You'll write as I instruct, because I'm British and cultured and you're a fucking cunt. Personnally I don't give a toss that 95% of the readers are from the USA. Wanker"

I'm so pre-emptive I'd nuke America to save time.
best in a long time (3.00 / 3) (#98)
by adiffer on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 10:59:48 PM EST

This is going on my hot list for when I need a good chuckle.

i think it should go on the best of too don't you+

-Dream Big.
--Grow Up.

Ideas (4.00 / 6) (#99)
by r00t on Fri Sep 06, 2002 at 11:04:13 PM EST

I agree with you. It may be "cool" to act like that on an IRC channel but not here. I fear that with K5's rising popularity we will inevitably be faced with on onslaught of morons.

For the newbies: At K5 it is the IDEA that is important, but try to convey that idea in an intelligent and mature manner.

-It's not so much what you have to learn if you accept weird theories, it's what you have to unlearn. - Isaac Asimov

Precisely... the Idea (5.00 / 3) (#107)
by dvicci on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 01:22:09 AM EST

Exactly!  It is BECAUSE the idea is important, that it should be conveyed in an intelligent and mature manner... not to mention the audience.   If the writing style is so peppered with "cool" that it becomes completely obscure, what is the point of writing to begin with?  Writing like the "Typical AOLer Speak", or the "Typical Linux Zealot" (to pick on just two of the examples up there) is telling the audience of a site like this that you really don't care if they can read and understand what you have to say, you just want to say it.  That's not communication, it's the braying of barnyard animals.

I'm reminded of JMZ's excellent take, simply titled "design."  His is about web design, but the idea applies equally to writing.  Write so that your audience can understand you, or you're wasting your own time.

[ Parent ]

Assuming you care. (none / 0) (#133)
by trane on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 01:34:09 PM EST



[ Parent ]
If you don't care, (none / 0) (#173)
by Kintanon on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 01:21:03 PM EST

then do not speak. You only waste all of our time.

Kintanon

[ Parent ]

Your audience can learn (none / 0) (#182)
by trane on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 04:20:23 PM EST

If you're right, your audience will develop over time.

[ Parent ]
Speaking of which... (3.50 / 2) (#105)
by aonifer on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 12:22:57 AM EST

Does anyone actually read those threads that go, like, 40 deep and have subjects like, "Yes, but", or "meh to you"?

yes, but [nt] (3.66 / 3) (#110)
by showboat on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 01:47:58 AM EST



[ Parent ]
meh to you (3.66 / 3) (#117)
by Khendon on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 06:55:21 AM EST



[ Parent ]
That's just surreal (n/t) (none / 0) (#171)
by Protagonist on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 12:24:18 PM EST



----
Hahah! Your ferris-wheel attack is as pathetic and ineffective as your system of government!
[ Parent ]
Well (none / 0) (#148)
by Nick Ives on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 10:19:32 PM EST

I assume the people who read that deep don't read that deep because of the subject lines, they read that deep to follow the conversation. It's not any worse than on mailing lists or other websites which automatically substitute the old subject line with an "Re:" in front.

--
Nick
Or maybe it is, I like it this way though.

[ Parent ]

Funny, but I pick content over form any day (4.09 / 11) (#106)
by marinel on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 01:21:00 AM EST

With the risk^H^H^H^Hrelative certainty of being moded down and sounding like a prick, I would venture to state that the author and, at least, level 1 commenters are rather short-sighted. I would venture to say that a sh*tload of people (including myself) fall in an extended "Grammar Nazi" category. What I mean is that, while replying or grokking, most people usually pick on trivial crap like grammar or unorthodox methods of expression (like the author did), or minor points, whilst losing focus on the bigger picture, the gist of the original message, and discussions degenerate into tangential and/or minor issues more often than not.

Take for example, Chomsky. While the man does an excellent job at unearthing and pointing out major US govt screwups and coverups (rarely debunked), most of his detractors get their panties up in a knot over his side commentary and interpretation. While his reporting of the facts is the meat of his articles and books, most critics (or their lackeys) concentrate on his side-commentary and, I must sadly say, they drew him into many a melee, wasting his and others time. Yes, his extrapolations might be atypical and a little too left of center for the American palate, but the facts are immutable and this seem to get lost in the shit slinging contest that usually ensues whenever his name is brought up. How is that for a reality check?

Oh, yeah, I'm pretty sure that more than half the people reading this will totally miss the point and try to forget about this ASAP since it's a little too close to home otherwise, if accepted as true, it might actually eliminate a big chunk of mean-spirited fun out of their life. Or they'll tell me to get a life, to quit whining like a <insert favorite smearing epithet here> dickhead or that I don't have a sense of humor. Humor I do seem to lack as many of my friends call me on whenever they resort to humor as an ultimate deflective shield against touchy issues or as an excellent armor to hide their inadequacies behind. One canned answer for those, actually a few questions: How sure are you of yourselves and your system of beliefs? Do you ever stop stroking your egos? Do you know what karma is and what's it good for? I'll give you a hint on the last one: it does not involve ad-hominem attacks.

Oh, and don't bother to point out that I'm contradicting myself at times or that my accusations are self-incriminatory, 'cause I don't give a rat's ass [as a parting gift, I'm hoping that this last inflamatory bit will give you a perfect opportunity to dis me and boost your ego back up to the levels of a few minutes ago].
--
Proud supporter of Students for an Orwellian Society

K5 in a shell (4.00 / 1) (#143)
by faustus on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 06:20:23 PM EST

K5 is run by amatuers and read by amateurs, so please expect an amateur product. People who fail to see this fact, see it along the same lines as a newsstand magazine or something, but fail to realize that the reason they can participate in K5 has nothing to do with any inborn or learned ability. You created an account, and started throwing your rattle from a highchair. It's easy, I did it too. But I don't go running around telling people how to spell, because I don't think I have any right to. Because like the next guy or gal I just registered a user name, I'm not sure where would my authority come from? If I was an arrogant fool, I would self-ascribe it, and run my mouth when there was a spelling mistake, instead of modderating accordingly and moving on.

[ Parent ]
For those k5ers using terms like "grammar naz (4.66 / 6) (#111)
by Echad on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 02:43:12 AM EST

Someone mentioned how excellent this article is. I can't agree enough or more strongly. I've grown so tired of seeing the constant string of "its" where it should be "it's" and where for were, their for thier and there, to name a few of the more obvious ones. I cringe at ect. (yes, I've seen it). Grammar errors galore, style non-existent, caps (where they shouldn't be, and never where they should) and other errors too numerous to count.

An interesting thing happens when one says something about a particularly badly written piece. One typically gets the "well, u undrstud me so wats the problem?" The problem is I can't get to the idea through the thicket of poorly thought out wording, and I don't enjoy the fight.

But the person will often make it seem as if you've insulted them and how DARE you, and of course you must be an old stick in the mud to care about something as old school(marmish) as grammar and spelling! You are, like, totally uncool, you know?

Then there are our own beloved (ahem) members who say something like this to someone who wrote a beast of an "article."

Try to see if you can find any other similar grammar mistakes (not cowered buy a spill chequer basically), before you put in the moderation que, as the grammar nazis will rip your apart.
It's sort of funny since the person who wrote that comment is trying to play it both ways and ends up with neither; calling people who don't subscribe to the "whatever" school of clarity "grammar nazis" makes ME immediately assume that the commenter isn't terribly clever (do we really use the word "Nazi" so freely, so quickly?) but what's funny is that in the paternal admonition to "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" avoid those "grammar nazis," our friend talks about looking out for errors that aren't covered by a "spill chequer" and urges him to make sure he catches other errors that "are not cowered buy" the aforementioned "spill chequer."

I guess I've put myself in the camp of the "Grammar nazis" or rather "Nazis" although I don't agree with the label in any way whatsoever. But all of this is why I love the article so much. You've got the different forms of online speech nailed, and it's funny as hell to read them. And to those who whine "but it doesnt really matter, its just my ideer that matters and u shoudnt ignore it just becuz i writ diiferrent" we may firmly hand a dictionary, a copy of the MLA Style Sheet, a Thesaurus, and a strongly worded request to at least TRY before resubmitting; that, and the first "i" or "l8t" or similar are grounds for immediate and irrevocable deletion.

By different the person means illiterate, while is considered "k00l" now, much to my horror and the continual degradation of test scores of US kids particularly when compared against children in countries where it isn't quite as "k00l" -- yes, yes, I know. The kids don't have as much freedom there. But I'm starting to wonder what kind of gift the freedom to mess up one's future really is, because THAT'S what sounding illiterate and writing poorly will ensure.

"But Judge, Marijuana Makes Me Play Better" is the name of the article currently up for submission (as of 2 am) and is the article for which the partialy quoted comment was written by someone I won't identify. NOTE: The article itself IS NOT of totally illiterate variety. The person who wrote it clearly tried, and they get points for that. I won't reiterate in a comment congratulating one writer on a great story the reasons why the other one needs work because, well, it's not appropriate, and besides, there are numerous Editorial comments written explaining the things that need to be changed before it is resubmitted. I guess I view it a draft, subject to extensive revision.

If anyone is curious, either about the article, or the comment -- the fact that someone would refer to those who care at all as nazis, is disgusting, even shocking, from my point of view -- they can check out the article and the comments. I'm fairly sure that the article will reach the hide threshold pretty quickly because it needs a lot of work. I'm equally sure that the person telling the writer that he should avoid the "grammar nazis" is little help. There was, however, a first comment, a long, well-written and thought out editing of the story that explained where the weaknesses were, why they were weaknesses (not just because he or she said so; this person really thought it all though) and what needed to be done. If he takes that advice, his story could be readable and interesting.

Quite the tangent there, sorry. But well done, excellent article, it says things I was very close to writing about, but you got there first, AND you were able to nail the various net-speaks far better than I could have. A really nice piece of work.



Speaking of funny... (2.00 / 1) (#115)
by Amorsen on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 05:01:07 AM EST

...their for thier and there...
Their for what?

[ Parent ]
There, there... (none / 0) (#130)
by dipipanone on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 01:20:49 PM EST

Their for what?

There for but the grace of God go I.

--
Suck my .sig
[ Parent ]
Here's a tip: (5.00 / 2) (#134)
by trane on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 01:39:30 PM EST

An interesting thing happens when one says something about a particularly badly written piece. One typically gets the "well, u undrstud me so wats the problem?" The problem is I can't get to the idea through the thicket of poorly thought out wording, and I don't enjoy the fight.

In the case of "its" versus "it's", just read the sentence aloud. All ambiguities will disappear.

Why doesn't English have phonetic spelling? Tradition? Inertia? Resistance to change? The attitude that "I had to learn spelling and grammar, therefore everyone should have to"?

[ Parent ]

no language has phonetic spelling (none / 0) (#145)
by adequate nathan on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 08:45:15 PM EST

Not even the ones that do.

Nathan
"For me -- ugghhh, arrgghh."
-Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, in Frank magazine, Jan. 20th 2003

Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!
[ Parent ]

in case that wasn't some sort of joke (none / 0) (#151)
by trane on Sun Sep 08, 2002 at 04:51:57 AM EST

Any language can be spelled using the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet)...

[ Parent ]
fuck that (none / 0) (#167)
by adequate nathan on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 10:02:29 AM EST

Most languages can be approximated by using the IPA.

The IPA is a parochial Western invention. I'd like to see you transcribing Bushman with it.

Nathan
"For me -- ugghhh, arrgghh."
-Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, in Frank magazine, Jan. 20th 2003

Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!
[ Parent ]

Do you have any linguistic training? (none / 0) (#177)
by trane on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 02:47:51 PM EST

The IPA can fully describe the click languages of the Bushmen.

[ Parent ]
ok that was a joke. (none / 0) (#185)
by adequate nathan on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 09:23:16 PM EST

As for professional linguistic training I don't have any.

Remind me - which languages are spelled using IPA?

Nathan
"For me -- ugghhh, arrgghh."
-Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, in Frank magazine, Jan. 20th 2003

Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!
[ Parent ]

Languages that have no writing... (none / 0) (#188)
by trane on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 11:14:53 PM EST

Linguists use the IPA extensively. It is more exact than saying "pronounced EYE PEA EH". I used to study linguistics...

But English could be more phonetic without using the unfamiliar IPA symbols.

I thought of another reason why phonetic spelling in English would be beneficial: if ease of learning, and time it takes to learn, are naturally selected traits of language, phonetic spelling would increase English's survival chances.

[ Parent ]

Esperanto does (none / 0) (#152)
by Arevos on Sun Sep 08, 2002 at 07:10:53 AM EST

Although it is planned language (i.e. one made up), it is the largest planned language and best known. Shows up quite often in old sci-fi, such as the Stainless Steel Rat series. Here's some more information on the language.

[ Parent ]
Also Chinese pinyin, Japanese hiragana...Nt. (none / 0) (#153)
by trane on Sun Sep 08, 2002 at 10:32:13 AM EST



[ Parent ]
Unless I'm mistaken (none / 0) (#161)
by porkchop_d_clown on Sun Sep 08, 2002 at 10:10:49 PM EST

that's only if you exclude foreign words. Given how much of English is made of foreign words and constructs, you shouldn't be suprised by inconsistencies. A large portion of modern japanese now consists of mutilated english words and phrases. Do the traditional spelling rules apply for them?


--
I lost my job, my friends and my wife in just one evening. Ask me how!


[ Parent ]

As far as I remember (none / 0) (#166)
by trane on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 07:04:15 AM EST

Japanese uses Hiragana as a phonetic alphabet for Japanese words and Katakana as an equivalent phonetic alphabet (same sounds, different symbols) for foreign words. All Japanese and foreign (i.e., borrowed from other languages) words can be spelled exactly as they are pronounced. So, Japanese has a phonetic alphabet. Of course, they also use kanji which is almost completely opposite to a phonetic alphabet...

[ Parent ]
Not Japanese (none / 0) (#169)
by kvan on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 10:23:39 AM EST

For instance, the particle "wo" (を), which indicates the possessive, is pronouned "o". The syllable "ga" (が) can be pronounced with a hard or a soft initial "g", depending on context and function.

As for Chinese (and Japanese kanji), I think it's rather irrelevant whether a pictographic language is phonetic or not, as pictograms introduce a whole new class of literacy problems—most notably, of course, the fact that thousands of characters and their corresponding pronounciations are harder to learn than an alphabet.

Korean became perfectly phonetic with the introduction of the combined alphabet and syllabary Hangul in the 14th century, but I don't know whether it remains that way today.


"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, most do." - Bertrand Russell


[ Parent ]
Are those the only two exceptions? (none / 0) (#176)
by trane on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 01:50:52 PM EST

For instance, the particle "wo" (,ð), which indicates the possessive, is pronouned "o". The syllable "ga" (,ª) can be pronounced with a hard or a soft initial "g", depending on context and function.

That's pretty close to a purely phonetic alphabet...

As for Chinese (and Japanese kanji), I think it's rather irrelevant whether a pictographic language is phonetic or not, as pictograms introduce a whole new class of literacy problems--most notably, of course, the fact that thousands of characters and their corresponding pronounciations are harder to learn than an alphabet.

There are phonetic components to Chinese characters; however, you are right, pictograms are much further from a phonetic alphabet than English even. But if we keep maintaining quirky, non-phonetic spelling conventions in English, we will eventually get to the point where Chinese is now...

[ Parent ]

Japanese phonetic... (none / 0) (#180)
by torokun on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 03:50:51 PM EST

It's almost entirely phonetic... Apart from the previous 2 examples, I can think of one: that 'su' is often just pronounced 's', as in 'desu'... In fact, kana was totally unphonetic before WWII, reflecting classical japanese pronunciation from hundreds of years ago. After the war, they totally revamped it. You used to write "kefu" for "kyo", "tefu" for "cho", etc.

[ Parent ]
Korean (none / 0) (#179)
by Dephex Twin on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 03:34:38 PM EST

If anything, they use Chinese characters intermixed with the Korean letters, so it kind of ruins the whole phonetic perfection anyway.

This is the case in South Korea.  I believe that in North Korea it is strictly Hangul, although I may be mistaken.


Alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. -- Homer Simpson
[ Parent ]

Romanian has phonetic spelling (none / 0) (#168)
by adequate nathan on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 10:05:40 AM EST

But that doesn't mean a perfect conformity between sound and rule-adhering symbol. If it did, there'd be no such thing as a Moldovan accent as opposed to a Bucuresti accent.

I will concede that I was trying to be flip. Some languages have much more phonetic spellings than others, but no language has perfectly phonetic spelling.

Nathan
"For me -- ugghhh, arrgghh."
-Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, in Frank magazine, Jan. 20th 2003

Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!
[ Parent ]

Sure (none / 0) (#181)
by trane on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 04:00:05 PM EST

Accents will vary from region to region, true. I guess my response is that most languages probably have a "standard" pronunciation ("Dan Rather English") that could be used as the basis for a phonetic spelling. (The standard could be based on a statistical study of the language, and changeable.)

I guess my main point is that phonetic spelling is a good thing because it would free up memory to deal with other tasks such as addressing the content of the message, rather than its form.

It is possible, however, that non-phonetic spellings are able to convey more to the reader than the spoken word: the Chinese character for "good" for example is composed of the character for "woman" and the character for "child"). However, I think the benefits of phonetic spelling outweigh this feature of non-phonetic systems.

(Perhaps etymology can be included as hyperlinks for phonetically-spelled words...but I'm starting to ramble now.)

[ Parent ]

form is separable from content? (none / 0) (#186)
by adequate nathan on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 09:27:13 PM EST

I guess my main point is that phonetic spelling is a good thing because it would free up memory to deal with other tasks such as addressing the content of the message, rather than its form.

The word 'beautiful' includes a wealth of meaning lacking in 'byutifl.' I think that's why we consider that second spelling to look like an utter idiotism.

Nathan
"For me -- ugghhh, arrgghh."
-Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, in Frank magazine, Jan. 20th 2003

Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!
[ Parent ]

English spelling has changed (none / 0) (#189)
by trane on Tue Sep 10, 2002 at 06:24:18 AM EST

Shakespeare spelled English differently than we do today. Some of those spellings look idiotic to me.

Are you sure that everyone understands the "wealth of meaning" in "beautiful"?

[ Parent ]

give it a rest (none / 0) (#191)
by adequate nathan on Tue Sep 10, 2002 at 09:17:54 AM EST

Are you sure that everyone understands the "wealth of meaning" in "beautiful"?

I'm sure not everyone does. That doesn't mean we should dumb down spelling.

Nathan
"For me -- ugghhh, arrgghh."
-Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, in Frank magazine, Jan. 20th 2003

Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!
[ Parent ]

Not until you cry uncle (none / 0) (#193)
by trane on Tue Sep 10, 2002 at 12:28:38 PM EST

Every generation seems to have people decrying the lack of standards and lamenting the fact that young people can't spell. Yet language seems to survive (and change) in spite of these self-appointed language guardians. "Dumbing down" is subjective. The language will probably evolve other distinctions to take the place of the lost information conveyed by spelling.

[ Parent ]
you're just acting silly now (none / 0) (#197)
by adequate nathan on Tue Sep 10, 2002 at 01:02:25 PM EST

You're aware that some phonetically-spelled languages' phonetic spellings are invalidated over time by pronunciation drift, right?

Nathan
"For me -- ugghhh, arrgghh."
-Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, in Frank magazine, Jan. 20th 2003

Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!
[ Parent ]

Yep (none / 0) (#202)
by trane on Tue Sep 10, 2002 at 06:25:00 PM EST

But if we track the changes, we can always translate ancient texts into the current idiom. Shouldn't be hard to write a program to do it.

[ Parent ]
why didn't I think of that? (5.00 / 1) (#203)
by adequate nathan on Tue Sep 10, 2002 at 08:10:50 PM EST

There's a technocratic solution to the problem of pronunciation drift. Probably Lunix could become involved somehow. Now all we need to do is to hold regular spelling reforms and to bring the provinces into line with the central government.

You first.

Nathan
"For me -- ugghhh, arrgghh."
-Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, in Frank magazine, Jan. 20th 2003

Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!
[ Parent ]

I'm waiting for the grass roots movement :) nt. (none / 0) (#204)
by trane on Tue Sep 10, 2002 at 10:01:02 PM EST



[ Parent ]
holding yer breath? n/t (none / 0) (#207)
by adequate nathan on Wed Sep 11, 2002 at 12:11:48 PM EST


"For me -- ugghhh, arrgghh."
-Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, in Frank magazine, Jan. 20th 2003

Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!
[ Parent ]

I shall not have died in vain (none / 0) (#209)
by trane on Wed Sep 11, 2002 at 05:31:49 PM EST

...if I can change even ONE person's mind...

[ Parent ]
All we need (5.00 / 1) (#206)
by Dephex Twin on Wed Sep 11, 2002 at 11:44:41 AM EST

Is a computer with artificial intelligence.

You have obviously never tried to translate a text before.


Alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. -- Homer Simpson
[ Parent ]

Um (none / 0) (#210)
by trane on Wed Sep 11, 2002 at 05:46:42 PM EST

Yes I have. I grew up in Greece, France, Taiwan, Japan...

[ Parent ]
Besides (none / 0) (#211)
by trane on Wed Sep 11, 2002 at 05:48:25 PM EST

For this, I'm just talking about phonetic changes, which you can codify into rules. No AI needed.

[ Parent ]
Spanish (none / 0) (#196)
by Dephex Twin on Tue Sep 10, 2002 at 12:37:32 PM EST

Would you consider Spanish a "dumbed-down" language?

Personally, I would consider it more evolved orthographically.

Other languages don't get so huffy about it.  For example, German-speaking countries enacted the neue Rechtschreibung a few years ago where they streamlined some of the illogical and "legacy" spellings in thousands of words.


Alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. -- Homer Simpson
[ Parent ]

Where to draw the line? (4.88 / 9) (#116)
by JanneM on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 06:10:29 AM EST

This piece is of course written half in jest, but I still get a little concerned that it blurs the line between faulty writing and difference of style. I doubt many readers here would argue that l3375p33k is anything but bad for the flow of conversation here. I am far less convinced that 'The Academic' or 'The Limey' are actually bad in any way.

The purpose of writing here is of course communication with other readers, and sloppy spelling and bad grammar detracts from this purpose. I do not, however, think that there should be an implicitly mandated style guide for language on the site. A Brit will have a somewhat different vocabulary from a north american, and people with English as their second (or third) language will naturally have neither the vocabulary nor the grammar down to the same level as native speakers. Also, depending on the cultural and educational background, people will have variations in their vocabulary as well; this is true both for the Academic and for the Geek.

What is needed is a bit of tolerance for variations due to these factors. While gently reminding an Italian that it's spelled 'weird', not 'wierd' is fine, and likely a welcome help, flaming people or voting them down because they do not conform to the same variant standard of English you do is mean, small-minded and is indicative of interest only in surface over content, something this site is emphatically not about. There is a major difference between being annoyed with sloppiness, being angry that people haven't got the same level of English education as yourself, and being miffed that others have a differing - but correct - vocabulary.
---
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Consider the reader when you write (4.00 / 2) (#122)
by the womble on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 11:42:05 AM EST

This piece is of course written half in jest, but I still get a little concerned that it blurs the line between faulty writing and difference of style. I doubt many readers here would argue that l3375p33k is anything but bad for the flow of conversation here. I am far less convinced that 'The Academic' or 'The Limey' are actually bad in any way.

I agree, but I think that taking a regional or overly academic style too far is not helpful and should be avoided if it may prevent some readers from understanding what is said. I use British English but would not use slang or other words that may be misunderstood by an international audience. I would avoid a technical term or a "difficult" word if I can - but not if avoiding its use would make what I wrote long winded or convoluted.

There is a major difference between being annoyed with sloppiness, being angry that people haven't got the same level of English education as yourself, and being miffed that others have a differing - but correct - vocabulary.

I cound not agree more. I dislike sloppiness but I will admit to being guilty of its at times.

[ Parent ]

The best correction for abuse of apostrophe's (4.60 / 5) (#121)
by mattbee on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 10:49:03 AM EST

Bob the Angry Flower's Quick Guide to the Apostrophe, You Idiot (of course).

Cubicle wall material (none / 0) (#128)
by Atomic Eco on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 01:07:28 PM EST

I used to post this on forum sections that were named "CPU's" and "General Discussion's".. Got Stephen's permission to do it too. However, this particular brand of bad spelling seems to be spreading..

Finland.. where polar bears roam the streets.
[ Parent ]
Oops. It's more complex. (none / 0) (#149)
by foobar104 on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 11:57:53 PM EST

I used to post this on forum sections that were named "CPU's"

Unfortunately, you've stumbled on a complexity of the apostrophe. My personal reference is the Chicago Manual of Style, 13th ed., and though other authorities may differ, it says:

6.10 Abbreviations with periods, lowercase letters used as nouns, and capital letters that would be confusing if s alone were added form the plural with an apostrophe and an s.
It goes on to cite the example "M.A.'s and Ph.D.'s." The chapter on abbreviations talks at length about how the stylistic choice to omit periods in common abbreviations is an acceptable and justified one. So the case could be made that either "CPUs" or "CPU's" is correct.

It's not as cut-and-dried as one might think.

[ Parent ]

Aww.. (none / 0) (#150)
by Atomic Eco on Sun Sep 08, 2002 at 04:17:30 AM EST

Exceptions like that are not helping us fight the good fight you know ;D

Finland.. where polar bears roam the streets.
[ Parent ]
And more than one "BIOS" would be ...? (none / 0) (#214)
by Ricochet Rita on Tue Sep 24, 2002 at 04:19:28 PM EST

BIOS's ...or maybe, BIOS' ..but certainly not, BIOSs.

R

FABRICATUS DIEM, PVNC!
[ Parent ]

Rejecting education (3.00 / 3) (#135)
by trane on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 01:44:46 PM EST

Some users are rejecting their educations and saying things such as, "How they say it doesn't matter. I can understand it."

Content is more important than form, for me. Maybe you could include a grammar/spell checker filter on comments so they would be cleaned up for you.

Also, if you really have trouble understanding something because of a spelling error, try reading it aloud to see if that helps.

If you don't write intelligibly (4.00 / 2) (#160)
by porkchop_d_clown on Sun Sep 08, 2002 at 10:03:57 PM EST

it's not my fault if I don't understand you. I shouldn't have to read with my lips to figure out you can't tell a homophone from a homophobe.


--
I lost my job, my friends and my wife in just one evening. Ask me how!


[ Parent ]

There is a win-win solution (none / 0) (#178)
by trane on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 02:58:40 PM EST

Say k5 included an ai grammar/spell checker with customizable settings (English spelling/American spelling, Can end sentence with a preposition/can't, whatever) that filtered all posts before they got to you.

What would be wrong with that?

I'm guessing just the fact that you couldn't correct anyone anymore...

Personally I would choose not to use such a filter. But you would be free to use it so you wouldn't waste my time with comments correcting obvious things.

[ Parent ]

Win Win. (none / 0) (#190)
by porkchop_d_clown on Tue Sep 10, 2002 at 09:16:56 AM EST

Right. You get to avoid actually learning how to communicate.

Another win for the public school system.


--
I lost my job, my friends and my wife in just one evening. Ask me how!


[ Parent ]

communication (none / 0) (#194)
by trane on Tue Sep 10, 2002 at 12:34:45 PM EST

If they're (the posts with spelling errors) are suceeding in communicating to me in the raw form, and to you in the spelling-checked form, where is the problem?

[ Parent ]
anal-retentive correction: s/they're/they. Nt. (none / 0) (#195)
by trane on Tue Sep 10, 2002 at 12:36:20 PM EST



[ Parent ]
The problem is that you're trusting (none / 0) (#198)
by porkchop_d_clown on Tue Sep 10, 2002 at 02:36:01 PM EST

a piece of dumb software to make choices on your behalf (not mine, yours). As in, show me a spelling checker that will actually know the difference between raze and raise and when it makes a difference.


--
I lost my job, my friends and my wife in just one evening. Ask me how!


[ Parent ]

AI baby! Nt. (none / 0) (#201)
by trane on Tue Sep 10, 2002 at 06:19:29 PM EST



[ Parent ]
Right. (none / 0) (#205)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Sep 11, 2002 at 08:42:03 AM EST

You don't actually know anything about AI, do you? Ever write an expert system or a neural net? Whip up one that can understand English grammar and you'll do more than impress me - you'll win a Nobel.


--
I lost my job, my friends and my wife in just one evening. Ask me how!


[ Parent ]

Not to mention (none / 0) (#199)
by porkchop_d_clown on Tue Sep 10, 2002 at 02:45:13 PM EST

You still have this arrogant attitude that people and machines should be expected to work around your errors, instead of you recognizing your culpability and working to prevent them in the first place.


--
I lost my job, my friends and my wife in just one evening. Ask me how!


[ Parent ]

For spelling errors, at least. (none / 0) (#200)
by trane on Tue Sep 10, 2002 at 06:12:47 PM EST

I don't consider spelling significant enough to prejudice my evaluation of the message in which it occurs.

English spelling is a hack, trying to maintain backwards compatibility while adapting to a changing environment (i.e.: more non-native speakers, self-publishing made easy, etc.). In my humble opinion, we should switch to a phonetic spelling system. The time spent having to memorize the spellings of English words could be better used. I know that every time I have to look up how a word is spelled, it is a pain.

As for working around errors: again in my humble opinion, that is one of the main values of technology. For example: murder is an error. But if I commit murder in a virtual (holodeck-type) environment where no actual person is hurt, what are the consequences? So, yes, technology can work around our errors if we wish it to, or it can help us correct our errors, if we want.

[ Parent ]

Losing my mind (3.00 / 2) (#136)
by X-Nc on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 01:59:17 PM EST

> Typical Linux Zealot
> s0, 3y3 jUs w4nn4 c0mmUn1caT3 w/ sUm
> K-r4d h4x0rz. 3y3 d0n c4r3 1f W1nbl0wz
> lUz3rz c4n uNd3r5t4nD m4h l33tn3ss!!!111
> L1nuX rUlex0rz!

Oh $DEITY!! I actually understood this. I need help.

P.S. This doesn't really represent the speech of "Linux Zealots" as much as it does the "Elite Hackers".

--
Aaahhhh!!!! My K5 subscription expired. Now I can't spell anymore.

Don't you mean "1337 h4x0rz"? :) (5.00 / 1) (#142)
by Arevos on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 04:59:34 PM EST

I think I must fall a little into the 'smiley' catagory, especially with one in the subject and an overwhelming desire to add one at the end of this line. But I will resist.

Anyway, I digress. My main point is that Linux Zealots are usually only found replying to posts that dare suggest something might be easier to do on a Microsoft product, or trolling for hits by suggesting how Linux could solve all mankind's problems. Ok, I exaggerate, and I'm not sure if they are true trolls anyway.

Generally though, I find Linux Zealots some of the most annoying of the lot. Not because of their cause (I use Linux 95% of the time anyway), but because they provide a stereotype that people project on all Linux users. All the other classes listed above don't really do that.



[ Parent ]
Bad press (4.00 / 1) (#146)
by X-Nc on Sat Sep 07, 2002 at 09:33:14 PM EST

> ..but because they provide a stereotype
> that people project on all Linux users. All
> the other classes listed above don't really
> do that.

I don't know... Yes, the Software Libre crowd can get a little annoying. But I've known many an Academian who could fit into that description. And don't get me started about the Potty Mouth.

--
Aaahhhh!!!! My K5 subscription expired. Now I can't spell anymore.
[ Parent ]

Typical linux zealot? Come again? (4.50 / 2) (#155)
by Shovas on Sun Sep 08, 2002 at 02:09:25 PM EST

I think you mean script kiddies, my dear good but ignorant sir.

In reality, linux zealouts tend to be of a more educated sort and more apt to write in a formal manner.

No idea where you're coming from.
---
Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!
---
Disagree? Post. Don't mod.
Zealouts? Freudian slip there? [nt] (none / 0) (#156)
by Malvoisin on Sun Sep 08, 2002 at 02:22:36 PM EST



[ Parent ]
hah - didn't even notice that (none / 0) (#157)
by Shovas on Sun Sep 08, 2002 at 02:28:49 PM EST

Maybe it was some Freudian slip, but I doubt it. As a person who believes people all to easily attack others for being linux zealots, I really have a more positive view of those who run linux(as I run it), than some who accuse and don't run linux.
---
Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!
---
Disagree? Post. Don't mod.
[ Parent ]
Linux Zealot? (5.00 / 2) (#158)
by squee on Sun Sep 08, 2002 at 03:09:07 PM EST

Linux Zealot! Dont you mean Gnu/Linux Zealot? :) I like smileys, but too much of anything is bad for you. ;) The Gnu Style and Diction tools are a helpful way to homogenise your writing. Oops, I mean a good way to help make your writing more consistant. BTW (by the way) don't use abbr. and contractions in writing, it makes things far less clear for even a reader who is familiar with the terms you are using. If you really must use Acronyms make sure to explain them at least once somewhere in your writing.

[ Parent ]
Sorry, I totally missed your point... NT (none / 0) (#159)
by Shovas on Sun Sep 08, 2002 at 06:50:21 PM EST


---
Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!
---
Disagree? Post. Don't mod.
[ Parent ]
What about the acronym junkie? (4.50 / 2) (#172)
by FourDegreez on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 12:28:22 PM EST

LMAO, OMG how ridiculous! AFAICT, you saying that this particular MMPORG is FUBAR is just a case of spreading FUD. IANAL, but I think you just violated the EULA. IMHO, you should consult the TOS of this website before posting this FB! IAC, your post had me ROTFLMAOAPMP. Haha, J/K. BBL, I'm going to listen to some NIN or maybe KMFDM.

Linux Zealot? that's RoD3n7 5p34K... (none / 0) (#183)
by mingofmongo on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 04:27:04 PM EST


"What they don't seem to get is that the key to living the good life is to avoid that brass ring like the fucking plague."
--The Onion

So... (none / 0) (#184)
by r00t on Mon Sep 09, 2002 at 07:37:56 PM EST

What is the correct way?

-It's not so much what you have to learn if you accept weird theories, it's what you have to unlearn. - Isaac Asimov

Academic? (none / 0) (#213)
by xiox on Sat Sep 14, 2002 at 03:13:43 PM EST

What happens if you are an academic (moi? as Ms Piggy would say) but you don't write like one? Oh, you get sacked... :-)

the Super BOZ (n/t) (none / 0) (#215)
by sye on Sat Jun 07, 2003 at 12:42:14 AM EST


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
commentary - For a better sye@K5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ripple me ~~> ~allthingsgo: gateway to Garden of Perfect Brightess in CNY/BTC/LTC/DRK
rubbing u ~~> ~procrasti: getaway to HE'LL
Hey! at least he was in a stable relationship. - procrasti
enter K5 via Blastar.in

Ritin' fo' K5 | 215 comments (191 topical, 24 editorial, 1 hidden)
Display: Sort:

kuro5hin.org

[XML]
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective companies. The Rest 2000 - Present Kuro5hin.org Inc.
See our legalese page for copyright policies. Please also read our Privacy Policy.
Kuro5hin.org is powered by Free Software, including Apache, Perl, and Linux, The Scoop Engine that runs this site is freely available, under the terms of the GPL.
Need some help? Email help@kuro5hin.org.
My heart's the long stairs.

Powered by Scoop create account | help/FAQ | mission | links | search | IRC | YOU choose the stories!