Captain Ledford, where are you now?

By tiamat in Meta
Wed Nov 19, 2003 at 11:08:26 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

From Sun Feb 18th, 2001 to Sat Mar 23rd, 2002 Kuro5hin was host to an anonymous author who chose the nom de plume of Captain Ledford. This author serialized a set of stories in the K5 diary section that remain to this date as some of the best fiction K5 has ever seen.

With the advent of the K5 fiction section I thought it would be befitting to bring back to the foreground these stories, so that they could be seen by the wider K5 audience.

I am not Captain Ledford, nor was I able to get in touch with him or her. But I am a big fan.

Here then, without further ado are the diaries of Captain Ledford, in sequential order (as they should be read).

1. How the hell do you figure the stardate, anyway?
    Not a hard run this time, just from Tannat Prime to Outward Station. It's a damn good thing they told me where that was, too; I don't think they have any clue as to exactly how many races name their stations stuff like "Outward Station." It's like planet names; nearly every race's planet name translates to "Dirt".
  2. Letter-opening
    So my holo broke down today. There I was, talking to the first sentient being I'd seen in days, and the damn thing just stops working. I had to rush over to the old-fasioned viewscreen-type communicator before she left - the alternative being waiting around until the next ship happens to float by.
  3. Finally got in
    Got into station the day before yesterday, but I hardly had any time to relax then; deliveries are always a pain. I'd say it has something to do with the Tannanti tendency toward being completely meticulous about every little thing, only it isn't because every Tannanti I've ever met is just as lazy as I am. It's more to do with the fact that Outward Station, like nearly every sane station that I know of, has contracted out Receiving to some nameless corporation whose job it is to be completely meticulous about every little thing.
  4. Will Work For Pay
    Someone, get me off this station.
  5. Got my travel on
    Now that I'm actually on the job again, you know what I miss about Outward Station?

Not a damn thing. :)

6. Yotian Anomoly
    Over a week and a half later, and I'm starting to remember why exactly I tend to work alone.

Also, the Yotian Anomoly is creepy as hell

7. So this is what the ground feels like....
    And once you get over the fact that the ground is everywhere and the entire planet, buildings excluded, is nothing but one enormous bit of open space, you're okay.
  8. So, what is war good for again? Yeah, that's what I thought.

If you're delivering supplies to rebuild a station destroyed in a war that happened three years ago (and not four hundred, like you thought), and the situation is tense, and you also happen to be escorting mercenaries to the front lines of the lesser-defended of the concerned parties, and you foul up and deliver them late, and everyone is pissed....

Well, in that case, get better shields

9. Random
    I still don't know where I'm going. I mentioned before that I'd hit the 'random' button to just go somewhere. What I didn't mention was that I've gone through a lot of trouble to make sure that the computer doesn't tell me where that somewhere is.

Why? Well, it's a lot more interesting that way.

10. Random + 1

I've spent a very very long time in deep-sleep in the vastness of space, and as it turns out, for no reason whatsoever.

The moral is: I really ought to upgrade.

11. Those Ulix made some big-ass colony ships
    Deep-sleep again. Did it on purpose this time since I really was running low on supplies and the stars, while pretty to look at every once in a while, were starting to irritate me with their nasty habit of not moving nearly fast enough.

On the plus side, I have a new ship.

12. Curiosity killed the Captain
    So I managed to hack out a link between one of the sockets in this crawlspace and my ship's computer. I can post now!

Remember last time, when I said something like "I have no intention of turning on this colony-ship's computer, mainly because I've stolen the colony ship and its inhabitants would not be happy (or even sane) if they woke up?"

The same thing happened as always happens when I decide not to do something because it's not good for me.

I got bored.

13. Space is boring again

So there I was, just me and my two mostly-drained blasters and my hacked-together FAST units and my not-much-cleaner-than-before hair versus a cargo bay full of killer robots avenging a dying civilization. I'd been hunted for weeks. I'd slept in cramped crawlspaces. I'd taken down numerous robots from the shadows, each and every time being certain that I was going to buy it instead of the hunk of metal between me and freedom. And now I was going to make a last ditch effort which would likely get me killed.

I miss those days.

o red 12%
o blue 24%
o green 16%
o yellow 15%

o Kuro5hin
o Captain Ledford
o How the hell do you figure the stardate, anyway?
o Letter-ope ning
o Finally got in
o Will Work For Pay
o Got my travel on
o Yotian Anomoly
o So this is what the ground feels like....
o So, what is war good for again? Yeah, that's what I thought.
o Random
o Random + 1
o Those Ulix made some big-ass colony ships
o Curiosity killed the Captain
o Space is boring again
o Also by tiamat

Captain Ledford, where are you now? | 71 comments (31 topical, 40 editorial, 0 hidden)
Though its good (1.70 / 10) (#4)
by Xcyther on Tue Nov 18, 2003 at 12:15:37 PM EST

Its not something i would like to see on the front page, or even the sidebar. Its more of a diary entry...

_________________________________________
"Insydious" -- It's not as bad as you think

-1, Buy An Ad (1.11 / 18) (#22)
by DLWormwood on Tue Nov 18, 2003 at 04:43:48 PM EST

Sorry for the canned subject line, but this really doesn't seem like a article that belongs in either Fiction or Meta... Even MLP is a bad fit for an article like this...

This is really a sales pitch, despite the intended philanthopy of it. Maybe rustyTM can offer PSAs in his ad banner system?
Those who complain about affect & effect on k5 should be disemvoweled

You've got to be kidding! (2.83 / 6) (#30)
by tiamat on Tue Nov 18, 2003 at 08:33:58 PM EST

Buy an ad to show you something on K5? I don't think so. I think the proper course of action would be to submit a story and see if people are interested. I'm not trying to gain from this, and I'm not doing some kind of PSA for your own good, it's just something I thought K5 might be interested in.

If you're not interested that's fine too, but to suggest I pay money to submit this story is silly.

PAY to submit something Interesting? (none / 2) (#54)
by MyrddinE on Wed Nov 19, 2003 at 02:43:58 PM EST

Why should he have to pay to show us something cool? Just because the cool thing happened to be in a journal entry doesn't mean it should be treated any different than any other post.

The only thing I would say is that this belonged in Fiction, not Meta. But it's still a good post.

I know... (2.66 / 6) (#27)
by JahToasted on Tue Nov 18, 2003 at 07:09:34 PM EST

He wasn't getting enough ratings for the SciFi Channel to continue producing more episodes so they aren't producing more episodes. In its place they put a show they produced in-house about zombies.
______
"I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames" -- Jim Morrison
Your comment would be funnier still (none / 1) (#55)
by randyk on Wed Nov 19, 2003 at 03:43:26 PM EST

if it weren't so goddamned true and instead reminds me why I hate that channel and the fuckwits at USA ru[in]ning it.

SciFi (none / 0) (#68)
by mcelrath on Fri Nov 21, 2003 at 03:29:26 PM EST

This guy writes for SciFi? What show? I'm intrigued.

At least Farscape is getting a second shot, even if the SciFi execs think "John Edwards" and "Scare Tactics" are science fiction.

-- Bob
1^2=1; (-1)^2=1; 1^2=(-1)^2; 1=-1; 2=0; 1=0.

Everyone should read these. +1 FP (1.57 / 7) (#28)
by Motekye on Tue Nov 18, 2003 at 07:51:35 PM EST

Grrr....
poll results (1.00 / 6) (#33)
by thrumail on Wed Nov 19, 2003 at 02:45:04 AM EST

look at the distribution of votes for colors. Notice how few people voted for a certain color I wont mention because it may effect this phenomenon.

------------mail order pot worldwide ! -------------
+1 FP because (1.57 / 7) (#40)
by My Other Account Is A Hulver on Wed Nov 19, 2003 at 06:32:43 AM EST

turmeric called him "dude".

I believe drduck is a genuine account, and I don't delete him because I'm a hypocrite. - rusty
It's cool (2.40 / 5) (#46)
by nebbish on Wed Nov 19, 2003 at 10:24:54 AM EST

That people's comments add to the fictional universe as well. A lesser writer would have ignored that.

---------
Kicking someone in the head is like punching them in the foot - Bruce Lee

comments and journals (2.00 / 4) (#48)
by transient0 on Wed Nov 19, 2003 at 11:17:45 AM EST

That's what really impressed me about it too. This was definitely something much more than a serialized story. Also, it was something much more than ficiton written in the journal form. At the risk of sounding arty and pretentious, this sort of thing is really pioneering the interactive on-line journal as an entirely new medium for fiction.

I think I've seen this sort of thing done before, though never as well. Hrm... can't remember where. Does anyone have any links to other fiction in this medium (and i'm not talking about things like the littlezephyr phenomenon)?
---------
lysergically yours

I remember (none / 2) (#57)
by tiamat on Wed Nov 19, 2003 at 07:15:02 PM EST

someone did a 'choose your own adventure' in the diary section once. I believe there was a bit of a homage to Zork in that if you died you could get eaten by a grue, but I don't remember where the story started, or even enough about the plot to hazard a search for it. (Well, I'll try now anyway I guess....)

Enani (none / 1) (#60)
by Eight Star on Wed Nov 19, 2003 at 09:57:23 PM EST

The girl turned cabbit (IIRC)
here
Most of the story is not in the most recent page of diaries. I noticed one of her comments in one of the Captains diaries, so she's fresh in my mind, very fun, if confusing.

I do miss Captain Ledford more. I think I would actually pay for Captain Ledford stories. I haven't even paid for MOPI yet, and I love that.

Yes (none / 0) (#71)
by psychologist on Sat Jul 24, 2004 at 02:50:41 AM EST

the dairies of Captain Ledford (1.25 / 4) (#49)
by McMasters on Wed Nov 19, 2003 at 11:45:40 AM EST

mmmm, dairy. ^_^

13 diaries is a bad number... (none / 1) (#50)
by johwsun on Wed Nov 19, 2003 at 11:45:40 AM EST

Poor Captain...better for him to write the 14th diary, otherwise he is lost...
The 14th diary of course is not going to save him, if he is 13 marked!

;-)

Can't you even spell kuro5hin right (1.12 / 8) (#52)
by Kasreyn on Wed Nov 19, 2003 at 12:34:17 PM EST

when indulged in meta-wankery?

besides that, interesting read.

-Kasreyn

"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
why isn't this MLP? (1.16 / 6) (#53)
by l33t1 on Wed Nov 19, 2003 at 01:56:41 PM EST

because that would be silly. [nt] (none / 1) (#56)
by tiamat on Wed Nov 19, 2003 at 03:44:49 PM EST

Why isn't this an editorial comment? [nt] (none / 3) (#67)
by nebbish on Thu Nov 20, 2003 at 07:33:25 AM EST

---------
Kicking someone in the head is like punching them in the foot - Bruce Lee

most likely... (2.40 / 5) (#58)
by /dev/trash on Wed Nov 19, 2003 at 07:40:23 PM EST

He was sick of all the trolls and left.

Updated NEW 10/15/2003!!
New Site, More Parks
it's the only way to get on a t-shirt (none / 1) (#63)
by Wah on Thu Nov 20, 2003 at 12:16:33 AM EST

nt
kewpie
More! (none / 2) (#59)
by Canar on Wed Nov 19, 2003 at 08:23:59 PM EST

More! More! Neeed..... mmoooooorrrrreeee..... collapses and dies Dammit, there's nothing I hate more than unfinished stories.

glances at his "Stories" directory I hate you all.

There's some A+ talent here. (3.00 / 8) (#61)
by waxmop on Wed Nov 19, 2003 at 11:12:41 PM EST

It's been months, but Mr. Badger's diaries were also great stuff. I doubt I'm the only one that wishes we could ++ great diaries to a "diary hall of fame" topic (or some other similar method).
We are a monoculture of horsecock. Liar