The Last K5 User

By alby in Meta
Mon May 03, 2004 at 05:44:52 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

As we all know, new account creation on K5 is currently disabled. This got me thinking: someone out there must be the last K5 user.

So, with a bit of fiddling around in my address bar and a game of "higher or lower" with the K5 server I managed to discover who I think is (for now) the last K5 user.

So, Ladies and Gentlemen, without further ado, I introduce to you ...

harkonen!

For those of you who are interested, harkoken has uid:54417. If you try and get details for uid:54418 or anything above that you end up looking at your own profile.

So, harkonen, if you're out there, speak to us! How does it feel?

My uid
o 0 - 10: (What's the chances this gets more than ten votes?) 12%
o 11 - 100 1%
o 101 - 1,000 6%
o 1,001 - 10,000 23%
o 10,001 - 100,000 55%

o harkonen
o uid:54418
o Also by alby

The Last K5 User | 144 comments (133 topical, 11 editorial, 0 hidden)
-1 Aren't you special (2.29 / 24) (#1)
by Tex Bigballs on Sat May 01, 2004 at 03:20:17 PM EST

Guess I would have found that ... (2.76 / 13) (#3)
by alby on Sat May 01, 2004 at 03:21:38 PM EST

... if the comment search worked.

Alby

Ha ha, you voted +1 FP. :) (n/t) (2.75 / 4) (#18)
by sudog on Sun May 02, 2004 at 12:00:57 AM EST

Cool.

Hey, get a hobby. (1.68 / 16) (#4)
by Hide The Hamster on Sat May 01, 2004 at 04:22:18 PM EST

Seriously, the absurdity is staggering here people.

Free spirits are a liability.

August 8, 2004: "it certainly is" and I had engaged in a homosexual tryst.

Unfortunately he has one (2.60 / 5) (#27)
by mcgrew on Sun May 02, 2004 at 10:49:17 AM EST

and this is it

"The entire neocon movement is dedicated to revoking mcgrew's posting priviliges. This is why we went to war with Iraq." -LilDebbie

ror (none / 2) (#36)
by Hide The Hamster on Sun May 02, 2004 at 07:38:35 PM EST

Free spirits are a liability.

August 8, 2004: "it certainly is" and I had engaged in a homosexual tryst.

But how? (2.33 / 6) (#5)
by Cluster on Sat May 01, 2004 at 05:29:04 PM EST

How does one determine their own UID?

Determining your own UID (2.83 / 6) (#6)
by Driusan on Sat May 01, 2004 at 05:36:22 PM EST

Hover your mouse over your name in a comment that you posted.

This space for rent.
b) read the url at the browser's status bar (nt) (none / 1) (#29)
by nkyad on Sun May 02, 2004 at 12:30:14 PM EST

Don't believe in anything you can't see, smell, touch or at the very least infer from a good particle accelerator run

replying to find out UID (none / 2) (#48)
by mickedata on Mon May 03, 2004 at 05:25:13 PM EST

wii

bah (none / 2) (#50)
by Tei on Mon May 03, 2004 at 05:52:18 PM EST

your comment is both uninteresant and uninspired, and for this only reason I like a lot.

You know what they say (none / 2) (#76)
by jasha on Tue May 04, 2004 at 01:00:53 PM EST

Imitation == Flattery

replying to do the same (none / 1) (#69)
by cstew on Tue May 04, 2004 at 08:59:35 AM EST

replying to do the same

me too (none / 0) (#80)
by SMN on Tue May 04, 2004 at 03:50:48 PM EST

textlessness... please be nice, moderators :-)
-- Imagine how much more advanced our technology would be if we had eight fingers per hand.
me three (none / 0) (#81)
by dark panda on Tue May 04, 2004 at 05:20:41 PM EST

i haven't posted in years, and i have no idea what my uid is, so...

J

take a wild guess (n/t) (none / 0) (#83)
by treke on Tue May 04, 2004 at 09:42:13 PM EST

don't be fooled by the [nt] (none / 0) (#84)
by Fuzzwah on Wed May 05, 2004 at 12:34:35 AM EST

Because there really is text in here. It's not very interesting though.

The best a human can do is to pick a delusion that helps him get through the day. - God's Debris

first k5 post ever [nt] (none / 0) (#88)
by Leigh 13 on Wed May 05, 2004 at 09:23:30 AM EST

wonder how long ago I signed up?

ditto (n/t) (none / 0) (#92)
by m4rkym4rk on Wed May 05, 2004 at 01:39:26 PM EST

negative score, this? (none / 0) (#93)
by arivero on Wed May 05, 2004 at 02:38:22 PM EST

well lets see

foo (none / 0) (#94)
by TheLer on Wed May 05, 2004 at 04:58:12 PM EST

bam.

you know what i like? (none / 0) (#96)
by mwbassguy on Wed May 05, 2004 at 11:27:23 PM EST

i sure like rollerskates!

How about beer? (none / 0) (#101)
by yath on Thu May 06, 2004 at 03:00:41 AM EST

NT

Beer would be nice. (none / 0) (#107)
by lang on Fri May 07, 2004 at 06:23:59 PM EST

Have anything belgian?
Thomas Kjær
nope [n/t] (none / 0) (#109)
by the_idoru on Sat May 08, 2004 at 02:45:30 AM EST

the_idoru
re (none / 0) (#112)
by omidk on Sun May 09, 2004 at 12:18:04 AM EST

errrrrr

re: re (none / 0) (#121)
by Squidy on Tue May 11, 2004 at 01:28:04 PM EST

re: re: re (none / 0) (#135)
by Yo Mama on Thu May 20, 2004 at 12:55:08 PM EST

probatio (noli legere) (none / 0) (#106)
by xueexueg on Thu May 06, 2004 at 12:53:31 PM EST

uid

Don't get me wrong (2.90 / 22) (#9)
by Ayn Rand the Objectivist on Sat May 01, 2004 at 06:18:51 PM EST

but shouldn't scoop give a "user doesn't exist" type error rather than show your own details? It's completely illogical, and seems like something that you would only ever expect find in Slashcode.

Mod parent the fuck up insightful. [nt] (1.27 / 11) (#10)
by James A C Joyce on Sat May 01, 2004 at 06:39:47 PM EST

I bought this account on eBay

This is as expected... (none / 2) (#23)
by spasticfraggle on Sun May 02, 2004 at 03:02:23 AM EST

When you use MySQL it the style to do exactly this.

I kid you not: link

I'm the straw that broke the camel's back!

Not sure what you mean. (none / 1) (#24)
by SoupIsGoodFood on Sun May 02, 2004 at 05:10:53 AM EST

It hasn't really got anything to do with MySQL, no matter how good/bad it is. It's simply a case of the programmer deciding it would make sence to dump your userID into the query if it couldn't find the name you asked for.
If it can't find something, it should just tell you, instead of giving you your own user info, in what seems like some lame attempt to not make you feel bad because the user you were looking for didn't exist. Perhaps it's supposed to have some sort of deep, ancient-eastern philosophical meaning?

j/k really... (none / 1) (#25)
by spasticfraggle on Sun May 02, 2004 at 05:38:05 AM EST

There are a number of cases where MySQL will return invalid data instead doing the Right Thing - it's in the link.

Sure it's unrelated to Scoop. Although perhaps it is all born from a similar mindset?

I'm the straw that broke the camel's back!

Probably (none / 1) (#26)
by SoupIsGoodFood on Sun May 02, 2004 at 06:33:56 AM EST

Probably. Although I doubt proper SQL DB programmers would be much better at understanding users, but atleast they probably wouldn't do as many things that leave you wondering if a particular thing was a feature or bug. If they designed the page, it would probably come up with a big ugly error message saying "ERROR: 0 results found" and no search box for the person could do another search. But atleast it would make sence.

It is probably a first system, not a gotcha (none / 1) (#37)
by lukme on Sun May 02, 2004 at 08:17:28 PM EST

Looking at your link, I fail to understand how MySQL is any different than ORACLE, or ORACLE RDB. I have coded under both, and there is a bit of a difference, and a similar set of gotchas.

The complaints that I have heard here that seem to have some validity, are ones that are typical of a fist system (see mythical man month by fred brooks - for those who don't have the book, the first system is the first one designed by any team).

-----------------------------------
It's awfully hard to fly with eagles when you're a turkey.
And if you're logged out (2.00 / 5) (#34)
by power guido on Sun May 02, 2004 at 06:52:58 PM EST

you get the info page for the long deceased Anonymous Hero user.

And to think K5 used to be open and democratic enough to accept anonymous comments in the past. Now they come up with all this managed growth and user sponsorship bullshit. Next they'll be asking for our papers and sending us to concentration camps. Who would believe rusty would turn out to be such a fascist pig? I say it's time to boot him out before it's too late.

I did boot him out, about a year ago. (none / 1) (#35)
by Russell Dovey on Sun May 02, 2004 at 07:19:30 PM EST

Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer. So all this harping about "fix the comment searchlight" or "my scoop isn't working, fix my scoop!" is just confusing to me.

Stop emailing me those pictures of fruit, rmg. You know and I know it's over.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light." - Spike Milligan

anonymous comments (none / 2) (#38)
by aphrael on Sun May 02, 2004 at 09:28:08 PM EST

were great, until someone took advantage of them to launch a DOS attack that took k5 down every time it came up for several days running, until Rusty took it offline indefinitely.

In Soviet Russia... (none / 1) (#99)
by Skwirl on Thu May 06, 2004 at 01:44:21 AM EST

A equals You!!!

"Nothing in the world is more distasteful to a man than to take the path that leads to himself." -- Herman Hesse
+1FP (1.20 / 15) (#14)
by RandomLiegh on Sat May 01, 2004 at 07:00:05 PM EST

The antagonist!!

Thought of the week: There is no thought this week.
On rating when you don't get the reference (none / 3) (#28)
by nkyad on Sun May 02, 2004 at 12:28:53 PM EST

People who zeroed the parent should exercise caution before rating comments they don't understand, else their own ignorance shows up too clearly.

Interesting (2.80 / 10) (#15)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Sat May 01, 2004 at 07:14:51 PM EST

He has only posted one comment.  I guess he decided that this site wasn't very interesting and left.  I can't imagine how anyone could feel that way.

If he came back he'd probably think it is very interesting that there is a story about him.  Assuming that this posts.

I'm like Jesus, only better.
Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour

He seemed to know Japanese (none / 1) (#17)
by TheOnlyCoolTim on Sat May 01, 2004 at 10:20:43 PM EST

So the fact that some people here voted up that ridiculous story pissed him off enough to leave.

Tim
"We are trapped in the belly of this horrible machine, and the machine is bleeding to death."

from my enlightened perspective, (2.90 / 10) (#22)
by Rahaan on Sun May 02, 2004 at 02:46:32 AM EST

I can tell you with the utmost certainty that he was or is a lurker, reading the articles while bored towards the end of his lunch break at work, and, upon stumbling on a subject with which he was well-learned and which someone desperately could be helped by the information he was able to provide, he decided to go through the trouble of making a fake email address and an account here just so share said valuable information.

I wonder how many people have wanted to do that and found they were unable to open account lately; just more evidence of how-fucking-stupid-an-idea "managed growth" is.  K5 is during into a housing project.

you know, jake.. i've noticed that, since the tacos started coming, the mail doesn't so much come as often, or even at all

hehe. (none / 0) (#44)
by Rahaan on Mon May 03, 2004 at 09:33:36 AM EST

I just realized I typed during instead of turning in my last sentence.  I think I'm turning into jjayson.  Somebody help me.

I'd really hate this! (none / 2) (#19)
by bmph8ter on Sun May 02, 2004 at 12:50:54 AM EST

Being stared at like this would just suck. A bunch of wierd geeks staring at my user page would freak me out. Oh, wait...

Sigh (none / 3) (#21)
by MechaA on Sun May 02, 2004 at 02:33:57 AM EST

To think there will never, ever, almost certainly ever be anymore.

k24anson on K5: Imagine fifty, sixty year old men and women still playing with their genitals like ten year olds!

You know what this means? (2.80 / 5) (#30)
by urdine on Sun May 02, 2004 at 02:17:46 PM EST

Time to put my account on eBay!  And you thought only MMORPG accounts had value...

"Last" user (none / 3) (#31)
by SEWilco on Sun May 02, 2004 at 04:18:54 PM EST

Would the last user be the one which is the last user to be active? He then gets to present a monologue to the guest users.

+1 FP (1.85 / 7) (#32)
by keelerbeez on Sun May 02, 2004 at 04:56:29 PM EST

I've had to lower my standards.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT d? s++:+ a- C++++$ UBS*++++$ P--- L+>++ E--- W- !N !o !K w+++(---)$ M+ PS+++ PE(--) Y+ PGP t++@ 5++ X+ R* tv(+) b+++ DI++ !G !e h* r*% y++++**
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Where's Bruce Leroy when you need him? (none / 2) (#33)
by kaemaril on Sun May 02, 2004 at 06:04:39 PM EST

Who cares about the Last User? The Last Dragon is where it's at! :)

Why, yes, I am being sarcastic. Why do you ask?

Do you know what mung is? (1.00 / 15) (#40)
by yayaya on Mon May 03, 2004 at 03:39:50 AM EST

Discuss.

woah, what the hell is mung? (none / 1) (#46)
by rmg on Mon May 03, 2004 at 04:21:38 PM EST

----

dave dean

phaseolus mungo /nt (none / 1) (#55)
by levesque on Mon May 03, 2004 at 07:12:37 PM EST

Mung (none / 1) (#82)
by walwyn on Tue May 04, 2004 at 05:41:20 PM EST

to hit a pregnant woman in the stomach with a baseball bat amongst other definitions.

----
Professor Moriarty - Bugs, Sculpture, Tombs, and Stained Glass
yeah (2.71 / 7) (#42)
by the77x42 on Mon May 03, 2004 at 04:28:21 AM EST

he's sure as shit better than the third user.

"We're not here to educate. We're here to point and laugh." - creature
"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

how come (none / 2) (#45)
by wiremind on Mon May 03, 2004 at 12:27:42 PM EST

how come my profile shows up for uid:3
Kyle ~ mooooooooo
Because there is no user with uid = 3 [n/t] (none / 0) (#103)
by Shimmer on Thu May 06, 2004 at 10:06:31 AM EST

Wizard needs food badly.
and... (none / 0) (#141)
by crackers on Fri Jul 16, 2004 at 07:06:49 PM EST

what brings you to that rather hasty conclusion?

atoi() (1.75 / 4) (#43)
by dimaq on Mon May 03, 2004 at 06:50:06 AM EST

I can only see my user name and not the number, so I would guess it casts to 0. haha!

Are you dumb or something? (none / 1) (#60)
by vyruss on Mon May 03, 2004 at 08:51:02 PM EST

Hover your mouse over "by dimaq on Mon May 3rd, 2004", I dare you, hover it!

• PRINT CHR$(147)

read my own comments??? (none / 3) (#64)
by dimaq on Tue May 04, 2004 at 04:10:05 AM EST

come on man

wwhhaaa...??? (none / 1) (#72)
by mfinn999 on Tue May 04, 2004 at 11:58:23 AM EST

You have to post a comment just to see your own UID?

Apparently. (none / 1) (#90)
by strech on Wed May 05, 2004 at 09:59:00 AM EST

It does seem pretty screwy, doesn't it?

Maybe it had something to do with you shouldn't care about UIDs ... but then, why show them in the hover links?

Never bothered to look at uids before... (3.00 / 4) (#47)
by Daemin on Mon May 03, 2004 at 04:32:48 PM EST

But going thourgh the comments on this article, its kind sad the exclusive club i fall into.

My uid: 10653
Lowest who commented here: 6343 Kaemaril
Others i saw under 20000:
11224 SEWilco
15089 Highlander
15917 Kasreyn
17485 KJB

Everyone else seems to be over 20,000. Have that many people really registered and left? Ive been reading this site for years, though i dont comment much anymore. Hell, if you look at my comments, it lists 3. I guess all the others were so long ago, they vanished into the digital dump.

I was pretty sure i was going to be the lowest uid reading this story, but i guess second lowest isnt so bad. At least i'm in the oldskool club.

<Hums "memories" softly to himself...>

At 20053 (none / 1) (#49)
by cyberdruid on Mon May 03, 2004 at 05:49:46 PM EST

I can't hang out with either the old-timers or the young 'uns.

People in the middle (none / 1) (#52)
by damiam on Mon May 03, 2004 at 06:38:05 PM EST

can hang out with both.

Ahem (none / 1) (#51)
by molo on Mon May 03, 2004 at 05:59:59 PM EST

Read UID.

Whenever you walk by a computer and see someone using pico, be kind. Pause for a second and remind yourself that: "There, but for the grace of God, go I." -- Harley Hahn
you missed Apharel (none / 1) (#54)
by Run4YourLives on Mon May 03, 2004 at 07:05:01 PM EST

#257

It's slightly Japanese, but without all of that fanatical devotion to the workplace. - CheeseburgerBrown
#47 (none / 0) (#98)
by xing on Thu May 06, 2004 at 01:34:19 AM EST

not that it means anything, mind you

OK (none / 1) (#56)
by wesmills on Mon May 03, 2004 at 07:59:26 PM EST

Here you go, 3597 :)

,,,fourth... (nt) (none / 1) (#57)
by chrisbolt on Mon May 03, 2004 at 08:35:46 PM EST

<panner> When making backups, take a lesson from rusty: it doesn't matter if you make them, only that you _think_ you made them.
Oh, come on. (none / 1) (#58)
by Driusan on Mon May 03, 2004 at 08:35:57 PM EST

You can at least look at the uid of the comment pointing out how to find your UID.

For the record, my UID is lower than yours, therefore my penis is bigger. I think that's how it works, I'm not too sure how this whole judging-people-based-on-arbitrary-numbers-from-the database thing is supposed to work.

This space for rent.

heh (-: (none / 1) (#59)
by joeyo on Mon May 03, 2004 at 08:37:59 PM EST

booga booga!

"Give me enough variables to work with, and I can probably do away with the notion of human free will." -- Parent ]

old old old (none / 1) (#61)
by anonymous cowerd on Mon May 03, 2004 at 09:49:18 PM EST

that's me sonny, 821.

Now Maahtha here, Maahtha is one hundred and eight... years old.

He swerved to avoid a porcupine and hit a tree and he's dead, how do you like it!

Nooooooo!

Yours George

Give me a woman that loves beer and I'll conquer the world - Kaiser Wilhelm

Ooooo a uid pissing contest. (none / 3) (#63)
by hulver on Tue May 04, 2004 at 03:35:59 AM EST

I like those.

HuSi!
Wow... (none / 1) (#68)
by angus on Tue May 04, 2004 at 07:07:12 AM EST

you must be really really old!

Did you know... (none / 1) (#77)
by sab39 on Tue May 04, 2004 at 01:06:10 PM EST

Other than Rusty, nobody with a lower uid than you has posted since 2001?
"Forty-two" -- Deep Thought
"Quinze" -- Amélie

*grin* (none / 0) (#87)
by x00 on Wed May 05, 2004 at 08:14:14 AM EST

it's all carefully designed to make you feel warm n fuzzy inside. The only lower uid I've seen is from Paul Dunne (uid:12) who did some book reviews. That was 2001 one though.

Yeah (none / 0) (#91)
by hulver on Wed May 05, 2004 at 10:04:39 AM EST

He used to be an editor, until he was kicked off the site for dumping an article he didn't like.

HuSi!
Just as well (none / 0) (#123)
by CodeWright on Tue May 11, 2004 at 01:36:29 PM EST

He was an asshat.

A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb? --clover_kicker

Impressive (none / 0) (#115)
by Dacta on Mon May 10, 2004 at 02:23:01 AM EST

I never post any more, but I do read...

damn it hulver.... (none / 0) (#122)
by CodeWright on Tue May 11, 2004 at 01:35:00 PM EST

...you had to go and spoil my fun.

A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb? --clover_kicker

that's because (none / 0) (#134)
by aphrael on Tue May 18, 2004 at 01:41:38 PM EST

you always win. :)

Uid 5310 (none / 1) (#66)
by Lance on Tue May 04, 2004 at 05:23:54 AM EST

Hmm, I've been registered here for a long while, but I almost never post (especially these days).

Actually, I rarely come here any more after leaving sometime shortly following Sept. 11, 2000 because I was fed up that every single story was discussing the issue.

Err, anyway, I guess that makes me the lowest uid in this thread (and even more oldskool than this post's parent).

Err... (none / 1) (#67)
by Lance on Tue May 04, 2004 at 05:28:29 AM EST

Damn, I guess the likes of hulver and anonymous cowerd have me well and truly beaten.

me too [nt] (none / 0) (#124)
by CodeWright on Tue May 11, 2004 at 01:38:13 PM EST

A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb? --clover_kicker

Eight Thousand Something (none / 1) (#73)
by DoorFrame on Tue May 04, 2004 at 12:01:01 PM EST

I'm 8000 something, you'll need to mouse over my name to see exactly what number.  Boy I'm cool.

wow... I *almost* feel old-skool... (none / 1) (#74)
by russm on Tue May 04, 2004 at 12:01:48 PM EST

but my posts/year isn't really up to scratch...

Wow... (none / 0) (#78)
by aidoneus on Tue May 04, 2004 at 02:22:01 PM EST

I think I must be the lowest active user (not that I'm all that active, but I do still post).  UID: 272.  Three digits.  I used to be really active, but then my free time waned and I found less and less worth posting.

Anyone else still here from the (really) old days?

-jason

Hulver (none / 0) (#86)
by ambrosen on Wed May 05, 2004 at 07:12:30 AM EST

He's still lurking and his UID's 14. I know that user 242 anonymised himself but occasionally lurks, too. But I think a lot of people have gone.

Procrastination does not make you cool. Being cool makes you procrastinate. DesiredUsername.
i was here back in the day, yo! [nt] (none / 0) (#126)
by CodeWright on Tue May 11, 2004 at 01:39:49 PM EST

A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb? --clover_kicker

I was never very active (none / 0) (#110)
by Amorsen on Sat May 08, 2004 at 08:32:21 AM EST

But I do pass by occasionally

i'm here (none / 0) (#125)
by CodeWright on Tue May 11, 2004 at 01:39:00 PM EST

i lurked anonymously from the beginning until i finally caved and got a uid...

A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb? --clover_kicker

A-yup. (none / 0) (#131)
by Zarniwoop on Thu May 13, 2004 at 10:43:43 AM EST

Still lurk.... like I've been doing since the site started up back in '99. Found the link from k22320inchfan :)

There's this single digit guy. (none / 0) (#132)
by haflinger on Fri May 14, 2004 at 09:03:14 PM EST

I think his nick begins with the letter 'r'.

Oh wait, you meant Ordinary, Common-Garden User, right? :)

Did people from the future send George Carlin back in time to save rusty and K5? - leviramsey

I've got a low user ID as well (none / 0) (#137)
by zero-one on Sat May 22, 2004 at 03:08:44 PM EST

I also have a low user ID but I haven't been that active around here - in fact this is only my second post. I signed up in preparation for this article.

Like what? (none / 0) (#143)
by Tr3534 on Fri Jul 16, 2004 at 10:17:23 PM EST

How old? Like the Rusty Cam? Heh, been WAITING for this thread for some time, only to watch myself loose.
Sigmentation Fault: Post Dumped.
I'm old (none / 0) (#79)
by emmons on Tue May 04, 2004 at 03:14:35 PM EST

But not that old!

Actually I'm more proud of my ebay account: created May-27-98, baby!

And I have a sub 100k slashdot account that I don't much use anymore.. but hey, I'm cool no?

In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
-Douglas Adams

Yes, but... (none / 0) (#114)
by alevin on Sun May 09, 2004 at 06:13:02 AM EST

can you beat a ~15k Slashdot account? :)
alevin
I could (none / 1) (#116)
by hulver on Mon May 10, 2004 at 12:22:04 PM EST

but that would just be very very sad.

HuSi!
3 digit (none / 0) (#118)
by influx on Mon May 10, 2004 at 07:39:51 PM EST

I have a 3 digit /. uid. Not that it really matters. I'm not sure which has gone further downhill, this site or /..

The more you know, the less you understand.
Left since all the discussion... (none / 0) (#89)
by Opium on Wed May 05, 2004 at 09:50:22 AM EST

...is about how downhill the site went... Oh wait...

"Ars Gratia Artis"... When will Metallica T-Shirts have this quote?
</lurk> (none / 0) (#113)
by alevin on Sun May 09, 2004 at 06:12:08 AM EST

<lurk>
alevin
PING, 8243 :) and an answer to your question. (none / 0) (#119)
by Chakotay on Tue May 11, 2004 at 05:43:54 AM EST

Yes, that many people really have left. Me too, I rarely frequent K5 anymore... Back in the good old days, when The Other Site was still more than one gigantic MLP, but when it was already degrading under the weight of mindless trolls, flames, and fr1st pr0sters, I found a haven in K5. But since then my interests kind of moved on, so now I still glance here from time to time, but not anywhere near as actively as I used to...

Linux like wigwam. No windows, no gates, Apache inside.

4514 (none / 0) (#128)
by Sygnus on Wed May 12, 2004 at 04:16:27 AM EST

Heh I'm an old-timer :-)

I registered shortly after K5 came back online with the new registration system back in 2000 after being offline for over a month. Not much of a poster though...

257 (none / 0) (#133)
by aphrael on Tue May 18, 2004 at 01:40:26 PM EST

ancient i am.

108 (none / 0) (#138)
by Kip on Wed May 26, 2004 at 06:44:46 PM EST

I'll play too, only about a month late. =]

Aaactually... (none / 2) (#53)
by starbreeze on Mon May 03, 2004 at 06:38:54 PM EST

Someone may have already mentioned this, but scanning the comments I didn't see... uid 54418 comes up Anonymous Hero.

~~~~~~~~~
"There's something strangely musical about noise." ~Trent Reznor

Yes, and not at odds with the original statement.. (none / 1) (#62)
by pla on Mon May 03, 2004 at 11:54:33 PM EST

As the FP states, "If you try and get details for uid:54418 or anything above that you end up looking at your own profile." If you tried that search while not logged in, you would get the anon account's page. Try it again logged in, and you'll see your own profile instead.

Post n/t (none / 1) (#65)
by spit on Tue May 04, 2004 at 05:02:17 AM EST

(post n/t) x 2 (none / 0) (#111)
by fisheater on Sat May 08, 2004 at 04:30:22 PM EST

What I would like to see (none / 3) (#70)
by theboz on Tue May 04, 2004 at 11:40:43 AM EST

I wish there were statistics for how many usernames were active in a month. It would be interesting to see "X users logged into K5 in April" or "Y number of users posted a comment in April" to see how lively the site really is now that nobody can create new users.

Stuff.

I wonder (none / 2) (#71)
by jforan on Tue May 04, 2004 at 11:56:16 AM EST

how much a K5 user account would go for on ebay?

Would lower UIDs be worth more?

Jeff

I hops to be barley workin'.

tracking down stale accounts (none / 0) (#75)
by JonDowland on Tue May 04, 2004 at 12:53:44 PM EST

Interesting idea. To re-iterate a previous post, its  a shame we can't work out which accounts are the most stale. Then people could be approached and asked if they would be interested in giving away / selling their acc.

Of course, would there be a market for buyers?

I´ve thought about this subject, too (none / 0) (#108)
by Niha on Fri May 07, 2004 at 07:18:11 PM EST

i'll sell (none / 0) (#117)
by influx on Mon May 10, 2004 at 07:38:23 PM EST

this site blows anyway

The more you know, the less you understand.
The only problem with stats... (none / 1) (#95)
by HardwareLust on Wed May 05, 2004 at 05:46:14 PM EST

is that a lot of the time, I cruise k5 reading the articles without logging in, mainly by clicking links in the slashbox.

I apologize for being ignorant, but are there no plans whatsoever for turning new accounts back on??

If you disagree, POST, don't moderate!

First vs. Last (none / 2) (#97)
by a life in hell on Thu May 06, 2004 at 12:44:19 AM EST

Perhaps if we can dig up both this guy and rusty at the same time, we could have a First vs. Last grudge match or something.

this post awakened me.. (2.69 / 13) (#100)
by myrspace on Thu May 06, 2004 at 02:30:18 AM EST

I just had a vision of logging back into kuro5hin a several months from now, the kind of logging back in where you do it because suddenly you remembered that there was this site called kuro5hin and you were out of sites to surf; the kind of feeling you get when you're pondering a puzzle all day long and suddenly the next morning it hits you. eureka.

and the site will be barren. unkept dairies that barely date past september. the wind will rustle outside, as I stare into the vast emptiness of the moderation cue. The front pages will contain nothing but several long and vulgar articles directed at rusty, written and voted up unanimously by the remnants of kuro5hins surviving users, who too have left. The article itself dates mid july.

and I see another user popping in. And another. We're all just checking in. Suddenly the place is crowded again, a few new diaries appear, the users lamenting about their pasts experiences on the site. why they loved it. "Hey, remember the time..."

But then they'd leave. Everyone would leave. The wind continues to blow, the leaves rustle. The clocks sound... An article titled Goodnight Bittersweet Prince gets voted up; the members saying their last goodbyes.

The people then leave. One by one, even the anonymous heroes and cloaked ones. And I shut down and leave to go downstairs. It's 2005. kuro5hins no more

That's almost sad [n/t] (none / 1) (#104)
by Shimmer on Thu May 06, 2004 at 10:08:43 AM EST

Wizard needs food badly.
Charnel house! (none / 0) (#105)
by ethereal on Thu May 06, 2004 at 10:13:06 AM EST

It doesn't work, if you don't actually say it :)

Stand up for your right to not believe: Americans United for Separation of Church and State

Wow. Very will written! (n/t) (none / 0) (#120)
by Chakotay on Tue May 11, 2004 at 05:55:46 AM EST

(n/t) I said!

Linux like wigwam. No windows, no gates, Apache inside.

mostly lurking (none / 0) (#102)
by perky on Thu May 06, 2004 at 06:27:57 AM EST

but still a bit old.
-- "Freedom is the by-product of economic surplus" Aneurin Bevan
Note: spamblocker...
hey! (none / 0) (#127)
by CodeWright on Tue May 11, 2004 at 01:42:24 PM EST

we're of an age. strange that i never remember seeing you before (sorry).

A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb? --clover_kicker

3-digits? (none / 0) (#142)
by Tr3534 on Fri Jul 16, 2004 at 10:09:49 PM EST

I think I remember you... maybe. It's been a while and I've been off-and-on.
Sigmentation Fault: Post Dumped.
Lucky me (none / 0) (#129)
by Pj on Wed May 12, 2004 at 05:41:01 AM EST

I remembered this login so I can put it in eBay!

Just joking :-)
Freedom of ass' peach!

uid curious n/t (none / 0) (#130)
by kerp on Wed May 12, 2004 at 06:09:02 PM EST

ditto (none / 0) (#136)
by Xcyther on Sat May 22, 2004 at 01:23:09 PM EST

_________________________________________
"Insydious" -- It's not as bad as you think

hmm (none / 0) (#139)
by Whafro on Thu May 27, 2004 at 01:24:19 PM EST

whatevs

Post <nt> (none / 0) (#140)
by t0rment on Thu May 27, 2004 at 11:24:14 PM EST

Checking my own UID.

. - = [ t 0 r m e n t ] = - .

Anyone can become angry--that is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way; this is not easy.

- Aristotle
haha (none / 0) (#144)
by soart on Wed Jun 29, 2005 at 12:14:27 PM EST

haha,joke!
机票打折机票
The Last K5 User | 144 comments (133 topical, 11 editorial, 0 hidden)