K5 Meetup - Auckland, New Zealand

By duncan bayne in Meta
Thu Jun 17, 2004 at 09:07:29 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

Following on from this thread I'm organizing a K5 meetup in Auckland, New Zealand - and encouraging other kurons to organise meetups in their cities, too.

I propose that the meetup take place at 1400 on Sunday August 1st, 2004, at the Borders Cafe on Queen Street.

The use of such a public venue was actually originally suggested by livus, partly because he's scared of Libertarians like myself, and partly because he's scared of kurons in general. I agree with him on the latter point, having come across qpt who claims to be a death-worshipper :-)

So, who's interested? I don't imagine it'll be a particularly lengthy affair, just get together for snacks & coffee, chat about life, NZ, & K5 etc. At least one of us should bring a digital camera, so we can post some photos afterwards.

If a K5 meetup was held at in Auckland, New Zealand, I would ...
o attend 6%
o not attend due to lack of interest 8%
o not attend due to other commitments 0%
o not attend because I'm scared of Libertarians and kurons 10%
o not attend because I won't be in Auckland at the time 73%

o this thread
o livus
o qpt
o Also by duncan bayne

K5 Meetup - Auckland, New Zealand | 103 comments (75 topical, 28 editorial, 0 hidden)
Sounds promising. [nt] (none / 1) (#1)
by esrever on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 08:32:36 PM EST

Audit NTFS permissions on Windows
liberals in Indiana? (none / 0) (#100)
by davros4269 on Fri Jun 18, 2004 at 06:31:28 PM EST

There seem to be a few liberals here ;) - there aren't many where I live in the real world - does anyone live in North central Indiana?

If I lived down there, I'd go - thanks to LOTR, I see that it's a pretty country. Kiwi birds look cute too...
Will you squirm when you are pecked? Quack.

Sir, (3.00 / 16) (#2)
by finality on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 08:44:11 PM EST

what guarantees can you offer that this is not just an elaborate plan to lure me into your metrosexual meeting place and have your way with me?
This account has been anonymised. If you can give a good reason why, email rusty@kuro5hin.org, as he is obviously lacking one.
None! (2.20 / 5) (#63)
by rusty on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 10:22:56 AM EST

Isn't that, after all, the entire fun of meeting people you know on the internet? :-)

____
Not the real rusty
HE LIVES! /nt (none / 1) (#72)
by Xcyther on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 02:41:13 PM EST

_________________________________________
"Insydious" -- It's not as bad as you think

Now we know... (none / 2) (#90)
by IriseLenoir on Thu Jun 17, 2004 at 03:59:19 PM EST

So that's what Rusty has been up. Too busy meeting strangers in homesexual get togethers to hang on k5, uh?
"liberty is the mother of order, not its daughter" - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
i'll book my flight tonight! (3.00 / 7) (#3)
by rmg on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 08:47:56 PM EST

i've never been to new zealand, but i'm looking forward to meeting all three of you!

your daily shot of schadenfreude

dave dean

great! (none / 2) (#5)
by livus on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 08:56:44 PM EST

will you sign my t shirt?

I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

Did you by any chance... (none / 0) (#7)
by finality on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 08:59:51 PM EST

watch Eating Media Lunch last night?
damn, I missed it, why n/t (none / 0) (#10)
by livus on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:06:28 PM EST

I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

It was brilliant. (3.00 / 4) (#20)
by finality on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:12:31 PM EST

They put a guy in a wheelchair, and got him to get various celebrities to sign his t-shirt(s). Unbeknownst to them, the tshirts were emblazened with such choice phrases as "Free Saddam" and "Whales are Pests". The shirts were then sold on trademe.
heh heh that's beautiful (none / 0) (#26)
by livus on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:18:59 PM EST

hopefully we have it archived at work, I'll look.

I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

There's a late night rerun (none / 1) (#28)
by finality on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:25:24 PM EST

sometime later in the week. I think it's at about 11:30. Check your paper.
ah, saw it today (none / 0) (#49)
by livus on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 01:17:45 AM EST

thanks! Hilarious, I especially liked it that Raybon Kan signed the Zaoui one

I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

comedy gold (none / 1) (#22)
by mjl on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:13:53 PM EST

b-grade stars signed t-shirts that said things like "send zaoui packing" and "free saddam" without seeing those slogans. the wearer was in a wheel chair. they then tried to sell them on trademe. got about $5 each.

no, (3.00 / 6) (#8)
by rmg on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:00:08 PM EST

but i will have intercourse with your wife and/or significant other!

your daily shot of schadenfreude

dave dean

great (2.80 / 5) (#11)
by livus on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:07:32 PM EST

will you sign my wife and/or significant other?

I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

if by "sign," (none / 1) (#16)
by rmg on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:09:42 PM EST

you mean impregnate, we'll have to see what happens.

your daily shot of schadenfreude

dave dean

alas, biologically impossible (none / 2) (#18)
by livus on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:10:54 PM EST

sigh.

okay. (none / 1) (#21)
by rmg on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:13:00 PM EST

then no.

your daily shot of schadenfreude

dave dean

don't be cruel (none / 0) (#25)
by livus on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:16:36 PM EST

cause I would never be that cruel to you.

I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

oh alright... (none / 2) (#27)
by rmg on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:19:25 PM EST

i'll sign either her inner thy or one (but not both) breast.

your daily shot of schadenfreude

dave dean

thanks, you're a true role model, (3.00 / 8) (#30)
by livus on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:28:12 PM EST

and I'll never wash my wife and/or significant other again!

I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

I'm in Wellington, unfortunately. (none / 0) (#4)
by Torka on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 08:56:03 PM EST

Otherwise I'd be happy to stand you guys up.

I'm in Wellington too (none / 0) (#51)
by jeremyn on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 01:26:08 AM EST

I won't be on Cuba Street at 1:30pm Saturday

yet another person in the capital (none / 0) (#95)
by kiwipeso on Thu Jun 17, 2004 at 09:53:17 PM EST

So umm, do we want to meet up or what ?
Kaos operating system creator.
Another one. (none / 0) (#96)
by SoupIsGoodFood on Fri Jun 18, 2004 at 12:32:26 AM EST

Not sure about going to a meet-up though. I'm just posting here for moral support.

they do this at fark and slashdot too (2.41 / 12) (#6)
by circletimessquare on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 08:58:11 PM EST

and i've always been frightened at the notion of a meetup

the whole idea of kuro5hin to me is to post various antisocial tomfoolery, and get that out of my system, so i can be quite agreeable in real life

to, me kuro5hin is catharsis, my mental garbage dump

so the idea of meeting people who have been on the receiving end of my diatribes and mental farts is downright frightening: i'll probably be beat up

so i just don't get it the idea of a meetup

the anonymity of online posting is the whole point, i thought

but to actually make FRIENDS with the people you meet here? to actually meet them in person???

ARGH

the very notion creeps me out!

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Then... (none / 0) (#19)
by misfit13b on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:11:37 PM EST

don't go.

of course i'm not going (none / 1) (#29)
by circletimessquare on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:26:17 PM EST

but what in my post above led you to believe i wasn't the kind of person who was going to shit all over the whole idea anyways?

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

I know. (none / 0) (#31)
by misfit13b on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:36:57 PM EST

Shouldn't be afraid to try new things, tho waiting until one is at least somewhere near your area code probably isn't a bad idea. The meetup I went to in Boston was a lot of fun.

Some would say it's better when you're not sure what to expect. ;^)

i'm an antisocial asshole troll (none / 2) (#32)
by circletimessquare on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:38:19 PM EST

if i went to one of these things, i would be beat up

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Oh, yeah. (none / 1) (#35)
by misfit13b on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:45:50 PM EST

Well, I suppose in that case, you'd know exactly what to expect.

But you'd still probably be wrong.

I'm curious. (none / 0) (#36)
by misfit13b on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:51:54 PM EST

Aren't you?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA (none / 2) (#37)
by circletimessquare on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:59:44 PM EST

you warm the cockles of my trollish heart ;-)

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

oopsie (none / 1) (#38)
by Lenny on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 10:14:10 PM EST

I think you mis-typed... You forgot to add "Bi-" before curious. We'll let it slip this time.

"Hate the USA? Boycott everything American. Particularly its websites..."
-Me
LOL! (none / 3) (#40)
by misfit13b on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 10:21:08 PM EST

You imply that I am teh ghey! OMG!! SO FUNNY!!!1!

Man, you must get all the chicks with that wit.

Hey man (none / 2) (#41)
by Lenny on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 11:08:12 PM EST

your business is your business. If I outed you before you were ready, I do apologize.

"Hate the USA? Boycott everything American. Particularly its websites..."
-Me
golden [nt] (none / 0) (#79)
by Fuzzwah on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 09:42:26 PM EST

The best a human can do is to pick a delusion that helps him get through the day. - God's Debris

+1, Interesting. (none / 3) (#34)
by rmg on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 09:42:11 PM EST

your daily shot of schadenfreude

dave dean

Wow (none / 1) (#70)
by codejack on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 11:55:05 AM EST

Something we actually agree on, although I can think of a few steps that might make it OK:
  1. Everyone wear a disguise; trench coats, wigs, sunglasses, etc.
  2. Nobody speak, we'll bring a whiteboard and a bunch of dry erase markers, and hope the whole thing doesn't turn into a big game of charades.
  3. We play a big game of charades.
  4. Everyone take a pseudonym from "The Lord of the Rings," dibs on Tom Bombadill!

Or we could just get drunk and shoot pool.

Please read before posting.

Getting drunk and playing pool? (none / 0) (#99)
by Shadowfoot on Fri Jun 18, 2004 at 05:52:58 PM EST

Not at Borders cafe.

Not convinced. (none / 2) (#44)
by anticlimax on Tue Jun 15, 2004 at 11:44:50 PM EST

I am in New Zealand and I do enjoy coffee and/or snacks, but what's in it for me? I can pretty much chat about life, New Zealand, and K5 anywhere.

I was burned by a negro in the past who, like you, was quick to promise a good time for all, but unsurprisingly failed to deliver. Unless you're willing to guarantee some type of worthy entertainment, I'll have to pass.

sir, i disapprove of what you say, (none / 0) (#46)
by rmg on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 12:18:08 AM EST

but i defend to the death your right to say it!

your daily shot of schadenfreude

dave dean

Except... (none / 0) (#65)
by Ta bu shi da yu on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 10:36:02 AM EST

...you don't reside in New Zealand. I'd be interested to see how you go about it though. Sorry, invading NZ is out, even if they don't have weapons of mass destruction.

AdTIה"the think tank that didn't".
ה
don't be naive. (none / 0) (#71)
by rmg on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 12:09:12 PM EST

neither does he.

your daily shot of schadenfreude

dave dean

that's because we're not convincing. (none / 0) (#53)
by livus on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 01:50:18 AM EST

You're completely right. You can get coffee and conversation anywhere in nz (except the south island). The only difference is, whether it will be with us.

Hmmm, we could try some "worthy" entertainment, though I hope you're not suggesting we get students to crapflood k5 or husi. What is worthy, though? It has to be in a public place, and it should be something any one can just leave when they feel like it, just in case we all want to kill each other.

I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

As a student, (none / 0) (#54)
by finality on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 02:01:58 AM EST

I feel obligated to recommend the excellent Shadows Tavern.
that's funny (none / 0) (#55)
by livus on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 02:18:10 AM EST

because as a student I feel obligated to avoid it.

I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

You are what you.. (none / 0) (#78)
by hugo on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 09:35:06 PM EST

Don't ever forget your roots.
-- What's wrong with a one trick pony?
eh? n/t (none / 0) (#81)
by livus on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 10:35:56 PM EST

Well.. (none / 0) (#83)
by hugo on Thu Jun 17, 2004 at 12:07:42 AM EST

Why, as a student, do you feel obligated to avoid it? You'd be in the minority..
-- What's wrong with a one trick pony?
erm.... put it this way (none / 0) (#93)
by livus on Thu Jun 17, 2004 at 07:15:50 PM EST

I used to go to shadows when I was in high school ... and that was about a decade ago. It sort of lost its appeal somewhere in the middle of the 90s.   My friends all drink elsewhere, as do I - and I feel obligated to avoid those places too, I mean who the hell brings freaky and possibly homicidal strangers from the internet to their local?

I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

forgot to add (none / 0) (#98)
by livus on Fri Jun 18, 2004 at 01:35:00 AM EST

there are 32000 students. I really don't think the majority of them are shadz regulars.

lol (1.00 / 4) (#57)
by omghax on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 04:27:58 AM EST

this has got to be a joke.

to add legitimacy to such posts in the future, reference timecube.

I put the "LOL" in phiLOLigcal leadership - vote for OMGHAX for CMF president!

Why a joke? (nt) (none / 0) (#64)
by Ta bu shi da yu on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 10:33:10 AM EST

AdTIה"the think tank that didn't".
ה
Auckland, New Zealand?? (2.83 / 6) (#58)
by Fredrick Doulton on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 04:48:34 AM EST

Sure! And next time, perhaps we can schedule a meet-up in old Mesopotamia in a cozy little bar/restaurant down by the Ziggurat..

Bush/Cheney 2004! - "Because we've still got more people to kill"

+1 (none / 2) (#61)
by GenerationY on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 08:57:25 AM EST

although it depends which Ziggurat you mean. I've heard the one down by the fishing river has turned a bit rough of late.

A nice winter meeting place, near NZ (none / 1) (#68)
by nkyad on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 10:58:57 AM EST

The Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station has lots of free space during the Southern hemisphere winter.

Don't believe in anything you can't see, smell, touch or at the very least infer from a good particle accelerator run

Just remember, (2.57 / 7) (#59)
by smg on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 05:36:52 AM EST

When the moon hits your eye like a big piece of pie that's amore.

When you're hit by a jug in a South Auckland pub that's a maori.

By the way, +1FP (none / 0) (#60)
by smg on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 05:39:38 AM EST

I'm mentally reading this in the goofy Kiwi accent.

Goofy? (none / 0) (#102)
by Bnonn on Thu Jun 24, 2004 at 11:13:31 PM EST

And where exactly are you from, my good man?

I'd like to have a meeting... (none / 0) (#69)
by codejack on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 11:09:59 AM EST

Anybody near Ducktown, TN, USA?

Please read before posting.

Isn't that were dr. duck comes from? (nt) (none / 1) (#73)
by gjetost on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 04:59:39 PM EST

I cannot think of anything worse. (none / 0) (#77)
by melia on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 06:54:00 PM EST

Duncan Bayne, like bane, a source of persistent annoyance or exasperation.
Disclaimer: All of the above is probably wrong
Kosmic Kraziness (none / 0) (#80)
by hugo on Wed Jun 16, 2004 at 09:50:04 PM EST

I certainly wasn't expecting to see my little ol' town's name up there in those big, bright lights.

I'm not entirely sure I like it.

Anyway - why are you not scheduling the meet up until Aug 1?

Auckland traffic isn't that bad. You can usually make in across town in a day - day, and a half.
-- What's wrong with a one trick pony?

Because K5 is now so living (none / 0) (#85)
by trezor on Thu Jun 17, 2004 at 07:55:37 AM EST

we can organize meetings en masse worldwide.

Not to mention, we've gotten rid of all the trolls as well. Sarcasm aside, I voted -1 on this.

Richard Dean Anderson porn? - Now spread the news

I sincerely hope... (none / 0) (#87)
by haydentech on Thu Jun 17, 2004 at 11:04:18 AM EST

...that BOTH of you have a great time.

I didn't know (none / 0) (#97)
by gyan on Fri Jun 18, 2004 at 12:54:57 AM EST

the organizer had multiple personality disorder.

********************************

I want one here! (none / 1) (#88)
by MorePower on Thu Jun 17, 2004 at 01:41:53 PM EST

I wish we could have one near here (here being Rancho Cucamonga, California).

Call me sappy, but I miss having friends in meatspace. Alas, I ran out of money and was forced to graduate from college, and trying to meet/socialize with other humans post-college has proven to be impossible.

lame (none / 1) (#89)
by the77x42 on Thu Jun 17, 2004 at 02:35:21 PM EST

at least everyone bring their spindle of latest warez.

"We're not here to educate. We're here to point and laugh." - creature
"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

ip theft. (none / 0) (#91)
by rmg on Thu Jun 17, 2004 at 06:08:10 PM EST

the authorities have been notified.

your daily shot of schadenfreude

dave dean

and/or divx n/t (none / 0) (#92)
by livus on Thu Jun 17, 2004 at 07:08:10 PM EST

I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

good method to eliminate dupe accounts -nt (none / 0) (#101)
by vqp on Fri Jun 18, 2004 at 08:18:16 PM EST

happiness = d(Reality - Expectations) / dt

DEBREIEF PLEASE (none / 0) (#103)
by finality on Sat Aug 07, 2004 at 09:14:08 AM EST

DID YOU GET THE LETTER FROM A REIGNING MONARCH OF A GERMANIC STATE?