Feature Request - User-Submitted FP Polls

By creativedissonance in Meta
Sun Oct 09, 2005 at 08:18:41 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

Yesterday I suggested that K5 needed a new FP poll. The subsequent discussion produced an excellent idea: a new "Polls" section.

How would it work?

Poll 'stories' would be submitted and approved in the normal in the same way other stories are, but with one key difference: A poll 'story' that was successfully voted FP would both replace the previous FP poll, and be posted to the poll section as well.

Why bother?

K5 is ostensibly a community site administered by a few, but filled with content by many. We can push this envelope even further with user-submitted polls. Rusty will have one less chore to perform, and will be able to spend more time shellacing his yacht. Children will dance and throw flowers in the streets. World peace will inevitably follow.

In the spirit of the user-submitted FP poll, I will use the poll that trane suggested in my diary.

Best way to end a subject-line-only comment:
o nt 5%
o 4%
o 1%
o anything but $ 12%
o WIPO (comment below) 8%

o suggested
o Also by creativedissonance

Feature Request - User-Submitted FP Polls | 58 comments (55 topical, 3 editorial, 0 hidden)
New feature? LOL (3.00 / 6) (#1)
by mr strange on Fri Oct 07, 2005 at 07:09:02 PM EST

Are you looking for CORBA training?

intrigued by your idea that fascism is feminine - livus

I'll write it myself if necessary $ (3.00 / 2) (#3)
by creativedissonance on Fri Oct 07, 2005 at 07:25:37 PM EST

ay yo i run linux and word on the street
is that this is where i need to be to get my butt stuffed like a turkey - br14n
Why don't you search for that feature? $ (3.00 / 4) (#2)
by V on Fri Oct 07, 2005 at 07:25:08 PM EST

What my fans are saying:
"That, and the fact that V is a total, utter scumbag." VZAMaZ.
"well look up little troll" cts.
"I think you're a worthless little cuntmonkey but you made me lol, so I sigged you." re
"goodness gracious you're an idiot" mariahkillschickens
if it exists, tell me where and I'll cancel this $ (none / 0) (#4)
by creativedissonance on Fri Oct 07, 2005 at 07:47:06 PM EST

ay yo i run linux and word on the street
is that this is where i need to be to get my butt stuffed like a turkey - br14n
lol surely you troll sir (3.00 / 3) (#10)
by some nerd on Fri Oct 07, 2005 at 09:02:05 PM EST

Especially as you modded him up. If not -bite- I believe he's referring to the search function still being broken.

Home Sweet Home

thought it was a busted-search joke, ty $ (none / 1) (#11)
by creativedissonance on Fri Oct 07, 2005 at 09:05:43 PM EST

ay yo i run linux and word on the street
is that this is where i need to be to get my butt stuffed like a turkey - br14n
WIPO: I can accept :wq, ZZ and ^D (3.00 / 4) (#6)
by MrHanky on Fri Oct 07, 2005 at 08:07:21 PM EST

C-x C-c is too bloated.

"This was great, because it was a bunch of mature players who were able to express themselves and talk politics." Lettuce B-Free, on being a total fucking moron for Ron Paul.
just remap it then :) [nt] (none / 0) (#21)
by hardcorejon on Sat Oct 08, 2005 at 07:41:38 AM EST

oooh good one! :wq (none / 0) (#29)
by trane on Sat Oct 08, 2005 at 09:29:22 PM EST

:q!:q!:q!:q!:q! (none / 0) (#37)
by Empedocles on Sun Oct 09, 2005 at 05:21:35 AM EST

how do i get out of here again?

And I think it's gonna be a long long time
'Till touch down brings me 'round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home

No fair! That had content!NULL (none / 0) (#49)
by DavidTC on Sun Oct 09, 2005 at 11:10:29 PM EST

-David T. C.
Yes, my email address is real.
Duh. :x (none / 1) (#41)
by shm on Sun Oct 09, 2005 at 12:14:30 PM EST

kudos to nomorenicksleft for the idea (none / 0) (#7)
by creativedissonance on Fri Oct 07, 2005 at 08:39:09 PM EST

see his comment for more thoughts about restrictions on posting, highlander-style competition between poll submissions, etc.

ay yo i run linux and word on the street
is that this is where i need to be to get my butt stuffed like a turkey - br14n
WIPO: (3.00 / 4) (#8)
by livus on Fri Oct 07, 2005 at 08:41:32 PM EST

I think n is the most efficent, given that $ uses the shift key and is the subject of several proclamations of death.

Also n has more then one implication.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

[n/t] (3.00 / 4) (#9)
by AlwaysAnonyminated on Fri Oct 07, 2005 at 08:46:35 PM EST

---------------------------------------------
Posted from my Droid 2.
IAWTA no indicator whatsoever (3.00 / 3) (#12)
by fairthought on Fri Oct 07, 2005 at 09:48:48 PM EST

Polls are all shit (1.75 / 4) (#13)
by Chewbacca Uncircumsized on Fri Oct 07, 2005 at 10:38:05 PM EST

They like the 'which Star Wars character is your boss' bullshit quizzes peeps be puttin on the Livejournal.

Close, but not perfect. (2.66 / 3) (#14)
by NoMoreNicksLeft on Fri Oct 07, 2005 at 10:50:52 PM EST

Polls stay on the front page for a set period of time (~4 days is my call, this is debatable though). That period can't be cut short. People can submit new polls during this time. Any number can be submitted. The first poll voted up during the 4 days will be the next poll. Once it's voted up, all other submitted polls are tossed (even if they weren't being voted down).

It can't work like stories, since there is only one spot. We can't allow new polls to take its spot early, or it defeats the purpose... no one stays there long enough for any votes to be made. And we don't want them to stay too long, either.

Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

Perhaps there could be a seperate queue? (none / 0) (#16)
by benna on Sat Oct 08, 2005 at 12:16:06 AM EST

What if polls which were voted up before the current poll has expired are sent to a queue, from which the next poll is selected.
"It is not how things are in the world that is mystical, but that it exists." -Ludwig Wittgenstein
I can foresee... (none / 0) (#17)
by NoMoreNicksLeft on Sat Oct 08, 2005 at 12:34:06 AM EST

A huge backlog of polls. No fun in that. We need something built into the system, that limits how many ever make it, and the story queue isn't designed with that in mind... just in filtering out the garbage.

Besides, if your poll was good enough to be voted up, but someone beats you to the finish line, submit it again in 4 days.

Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

Make the threshhold higher (none / 0) (#38)
by benna on Sun Oct 09, 2005 at 06:27:59 AM EST

If the threshhold was higher then polls wouldn't get voted up very often. I realize that in theory many good polls could be submitted at once but this is unlikely.
Well. (none / 0) (#42)
by NoMoreNicksLeft on Sun Oct 09, 2005 at 03:05:16 PM EST

That's assuming we vote up only good polls. Big assumption there.

Besides, saying "in theory, many good ones might go to vote all at once, but that'll never happen" is the only surefire way to make it happen.

Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

WIPO: \\ (3.00 / 3) (#15)
by rpresser on Fri Oct 07, 2005 at 11:15:38 PM EST

------------
"In terms of both hyperbolic overreaching and eventual wrongness, the Permanent [Republican] Majority has set a new, and truly difficult to beat, standard." --rusty
I honestly don't think that (3.00 / 4) (#18)
by toulouse on Sat Oct 08, 2005 at 04:47:36 AM EST

'WIPO (comment below)' works at all. It takes up two-fifths of the title-space.

See ...

'My god...it's full of blogs.' - ktakki

I can't write much in here at WIPO (comment below) (none / 1) (#19)
by toulouse on Sat Oct 08, 2005 at 04:50:57 AM EST

Being serious, [nt] when there's room, $ otherwise. skyknight is wrong about a great many things, but not that one.

'My god...it's full of blogs.' - ktakki

IAWTP WIPO (comment below) (none / 1) (#30)
by trane on Sat Oct 08, 2005 at 09:31:45 PM EST

oh wait! IDNAWTP WIPO (comment below) (none / 1) (#31)
by trane on Sat Oct 08, 2005 at 09:32:24 PM EST

you forgot one. [en coffee] (2.40 / 5) (#20)
by vadim on Sat Oct 08, 2005 at 07:22:16 AM EST

<@chani> I *cannot* remember names. but I did memorize 214 digits of pi once.
Don't get it (2.66 / 3) (#22)
by daani on Sat Oct 08, 2005 at 08:47:03 AM EST

The top 5 stories on the front page right now are obviously ... Oh hang on, "polls".

'x' is natural (2.20 / 5) (#23)
by jongleur on Sat Oct 08, 2005 at 11:50:31 AM EST

it's a signature (of the illiterate, to be sure) and also in xoxoxoxo, hugs & kisses, both associated with closing.
"If you can't imagine a better way let silence bury you" - Midnight Oil
You want to kiss kurons?! (3.00 / 3) (#34)
by livus on Sat Oct 08, 2005 at 10:04:51 PM EST

better you than me.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

Because we all know kurons are illiterate x (none / 1) (#39)
by jleedev on Sun Oct 09, 2005 at 11:15:15 AM EST

WIPO (1.80 / 5) (#24)
by MichaelCrawford on Sat Oct 08, 2005 at 02:19:10 PM EST

M-x compile

Live your fucking life. Sue someone on the Internet. Write a fucking music player. Like the great man Michael David Crawford has shown us all: Hard work, a strong will to stalk, and a few fries short of a happy meal goes a long way. -- bride of spidy

[nt] -1 so no one ever sees the poll. [nt] (1.75 / 4) (#25)
by Smiley K on Sat Oct 08, 2005 at 04:00:32 PM EST

-- Someone set up us the bomb.
It's the way K5 should work. (2.83 / 6) (#27)
by frijolito on Sat Oct 08, 2005 at 08:35:21 PM EST

I've been wanting to vote on polls for a long time. It just feels to me like that's the way K5 should work. When I first got here, it was until a year later that I found out that you couldn't vote on polls.

I remember I brought that up a while ago. Rusty did answer, and he said something like "anyone can suggest a poll, just go on IRC and do it", or similar. The thing is, I don't feel that's really very democratic, now is it? Most kayfivers won't get on IRC and have the chance to vote a poll down, but they will click the little button on their handy webpage.

What makes K5 great is anyone can easily submit and/or vote on a story. Since the FP poll is so visible, it should be treated similarly.

I haven't gone on k5's irc channel (3.00 / 4) (#32)
by trane on Sat Oct 08, 2005 at 09:35:22 PM EST

because that would like be the last fucking straw, i'd have to leave my penis in the proverbial bucket and all that.

NT: WIPO (1.75 / 4) (#33)
by Eight Star on Sat Oct 08, 2005 at 09:52:10 PM EST

Missing poll option: '-nt' -nt (3.00 / 3) (#35)
by Kasreyn on Sat Oct 08, 2005 at 10:31:58 PM EST

nt
"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
argh no! baldrson uses it. (none / 0) (#48)
by shm on Sun Oct 09, 2005 at 09:28:27 PM EST

Do you want all the little comments to grow up into racist - sorry anti-anti-racist comments? Then they would turn in to anti-anti-racist diaries and anti-anti-racist stories can not be far away.

We would have to have a separate network for all these exclusive anti-anti-racist little comments, their bigger brother comments, mommy-diaries and pappy-stories which, as it turns out, 100% of kurons believe should be done, just for baldrson alone.

Good idea (2.66 / 3) (#36)
by l3nz on Sun Oct 09, 2005 at 04:30:52 AM EST

Seems like a good idea, though it seems to require some manual intervention on the operators' side. At least we would have better front page polls....

Popk ToDo lists - yet another web-based ToDo list manager. 100% AJAX free :-)

I can't believe (1.80 / 5) (#40)
by stuaart on Sun Oct 09, 2005 at 12:06:34 PM EST

that this is on the front page.

Waste of space.

Linkwhore: [Hidden stories.] Baldrtainment: Corporate concubines and Baldrson: An Introspective

WIPO: ";" (2.12 / 8) (#43)
by tetsuwan on Sun Oct 09, 2005 at 03:28:18 PM EST

Easy to miss, nerdy, and makes the unaware think the sentence will continue in body.

Njal's Saga: Just like Romeo & Juliet without the romance

My vote goes for this way . (2.00 / 4) (#44)
by levesque on Sun Oct 09, 2005 at 06:39:36 PM EST

Or this way. (none / 0) (#55)
by levesque on Tue Oct 11, 2005 at 07:15:16 PM EST

But only for paying members. (2.33 / 3) (#45)
by anonymizedisfunny on Sun Oct 09, 2005 at 07:32:30 PM EST

Muahahahaha!!! (1.83 / 6) (#46)
by skyknight on Sun Oct 09, 2005 at 09:05:57 PM EST

$ is going to win because the en tea crowd is divided among myriad competing versions. God bless winner take all elections and wedge issues! Wahahahah!

It's not much fun at the top. I envy the common people, their hearty meals and Bruce Springsteen and voting. --SIGNOR SPAGHETTI
IAWTP $ (none / 0) (#51)
by bml on Mon Oct 10, 2005 at 10:47:41 AM EST

The Internet is vast, and contains many people. This is the way of things. -- Russell Dovey
I love (none / 0) (#54)
by tiamat on Tue Oct 11, 2005 at 12:15:47 PM EST

the first past the post electoral system.

Also... (1.85 / 7) (#47)
by skyknight on Sun Oct 09, 2005 at 09:08:50 PM EST

Rusty himself has adopted $ as his own "no text" marker. All we need now is the appropriate regexes added to Scoop and the misguided opinions of the rest of you will be moot. World domination is within $'s grasp.

WIPO: WIPO [Comment below]. WIPO [Comment below]. (1.60 / 5) (#50)
by Soviet Russian on Mon Oct 10, 2005 at 03:19:05 AM EST

So this is what they call (none / 1) (#52)
by bml on Mon Oct 10, 2005 at 10:49:22 AM EST

k5 humor.

Who gives a fuck. (1.00 / 10) (#53)
by kitten on Mon Oct 10, 2005 at 01:44:32 PM EST

mirrorshades radio - darkwave, synthpop, industrial, futurepop.
Why not also allow new *choices* for a poll? (none / 0) (#56)
by bslade on Fri Oct 14, 2005 at 04:49:38 PM EST

I think it's a great idea to let users submit polls and let other users decide which polls get published.

But why not take it one step further. Not only allow users to suggest new polls, but allow users to suggest new choices for an existing poll.

For an example of how this might work. See progressivereader.org/?q=node/120

In high volume situations, this probably would require moderation to keep the noise down.

Ben in DC
PublicMailbox at benslade.com (put 030516 anywhere in the subj to get thru)
"It's the mark of an educated mind to be moved by statistics" Oscar Wilde

no way man, no Poles on K5 [nt] (none / 0) (#57)
by the77x42 on Fri Oct 14, 2005 at 09:51:11 PM EST

"We're not here to educate. We're here to point and laugh." - creature
"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

ginkgo (none / 0) (#58)
by luca77 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 at 06:22:12 AM EST

siemens gigaset comfort junkers kundendienst fortune kyosho peking flug papillon darmstadt zimmermann sonderposten bolero juechen weisse jeans orthopaedische kaltschaummatratze inkasso titel blaupunkt kiel appartement alicante emirat reisen luke wilson fernsteuerung pc housing edv schrank foto tag hypnose brustvergroesserung andalusien ferien stammkapital gmbh herrenanzug muenchen treiber digitalkamera esprit jeans five online tintenpatrone epson feriendorf babyhotel free briefpapier ipaq navigation hausbesuch wien kind kleid de rechner mehrwertsteuer goerlitz bahnhofstrasse wellness hotel kassel kostuem gespenst pkw kosten kunstturnen bielefeld spiele pyramide heissschmelzende klebstoff klebeband bedruck leichtathletik chemnitz kind bett shop tattoo folie mundharmonika lernen hubschrauber simulation feng shui farbe hintergrundmusik gastronomie wein bilder ballkleid neu umweltschutz warum ufo foto extrem auto tuning pu erh tee studien thailand automation studio abbruch baureinigung helgoland angeln kreditvergabe pop helfen werben flug rom siemens gigaset e150 spion handy verkehrsunfall attendorn berechtigungsschein motorsaege acryl malvorlage wohnwaegen privatverkauf elektronik ingenieur muenchen attraktion s45 display klimageraet privat