K5 Private Messaging

By mr strange in Meta
Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 10:46:51 PM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

The Private Messaging service is now available on K5. It's dead easy to activate:

Instructions:

• Go to your Display Preferences.
  • Find "kuro5hin Private Messaging" in the available feeds, and tick its checkbox.
  • Click the "Save Preferences" button.
That's it!

Note: This service is NOT affiliated with Kuro5hin, or with Rusty. It's just my private effort to fill a need.

The new box will appear in the right hand column. If you see your name there, click it to read your messages. Click the "kuro5hin Private Messaging" title link to create a new message.

The first time you use the service, you have to prove that you own your K5 account. When you see the "Login" screen click "Register your K5 user" and follow the instructions. It only takes about 20 seconds.

Some extra features:

• You can choose to receive messages as e-mails, by setting an address on the Prefs page.
  • You can block messages from specific users.
  • You can block messages from all new users, by setting a "maximum user ID" allowed to message you.
  • I've included links to K5 sections and the K5 user controls, to make it easy to get back here after you've read a message.
Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Aren't you just phishing for K5 passwords?
No. The system doesn't store passwords, but for your peace of mind I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO NOT USE YOUR K5 PASSWORD.

Q. Do I have to be a paid K5 subscriber?
No, anyone with a K5 account can use the service. It even works for anonymised users.

Q. Why not just use e-mail?
There's no way to give another K5 user your e-mail, without everyone else being able to see it too. If you want, you can use the PM service to privately swap e-mail addresses.

Q. Is there a way to see which users have signed up for this?
No. You can send a private message to any K5 user, even if they haven't yet signed up for the service. When you send a message, you get a short link that you can give to the recipient. The link will take them straight to your message.

Q. I can't see the message box on K5. Where's it gone?
K5 only shows you RSS feeds when you are looking at an index page, such as the Front Page or the Diary Section. So, when you are actually reading an article or comments, the new message box is not displayed.

Q. I've read my message, but my name still appears in the message box on K5.
K5 only updates its RSS feeds every few hours, so you'll probably have to wait a while for any changes to show up. If you want a faster response, use a better RSS reader.

Recent Changes

Thanks for all the feedback I've received since the beta release. †A major bug for Internet Explorer users has now been fixed: you can now log back in!

I've also implemented the regular purge that deletes old messages. Messages are now kept for seven days from when they were sent OR when they were first read; whichever is later.

o Kuro5hin
o Display Preferences
o Prefs
o beta
o release
o Also by mr strange

K5 Private Messaging | 130 comments (90 topical, 40 editorial, 0 hidden)
Am I correct (1.50 / 2) (#5)
by McArabian on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 06:52:03 PM EST

in thinking that the names displayed are for those whose unread messages are in danger of being deleted?

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."

No. The RSS feed lists all users with unread... (none / 1) (#6)
by mr strange on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 06:56:54 PM EST

...messages. K5 only updates RSS feeds every few hours though, so if you want to be up-to-the-minute, you'd be better off using a better RSS reader.

I suppose it might be nice to issue a warning if messages are about the disappear.

omniEvents is a high availability messaging service for CORBA.

intrigued by your idea that fascism is feminine - livus

Thanks! -nt (2.00 / 2) (#11)
by McArabian on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 07:13:58 PM EST

Errr... (none / 1) (#91)
by SoupIsGoodFood on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 11:48:57 PM EST

I have to say, it is rather strange to tell everyone how many messages someone has, considering it's a private messaging service. But then again, you are mr strange.

Otherwise, it looks quite neat.

Not working, please help (2.25 / 4) (#8)
by Psychopath on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 07:02:14 PM EST

I clicked the checkbox like you described, saved my preferences but no new box appears on the k5 pages I see. Do you know what could be wrong?
Thanks!
Regards,
P.
The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. -- Karl Marx
works fine for me (2.00 / 2) (#9)
by maynard on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 07:10:03 PM EST

I see it on the front page right underneath the username, comments, and preferences box to the right. Go to the front page and look there.

Read The Proxies, a short crime thriller.
Not here (2.66 / 3) (#12)
by Psychopath on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 07:18:34 PM EST

Thanks for your answer. I don't see it there, only my user name/comments/prefs, polls and nothing beneath it.
I am wondering whether there's some option in the user/display prefs like "use external feeds yes/no", but I can't find anything like that.
Ook, got it. It was the inconsicous checkbox called Syndicated Headlines which did the job! :-) Regards,
P.
The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. -- Karl Marx
that got it for me too -nt (none / 1) (#120)
by Xcyther on Thu Mar 02, 2006 at 03:05:23 PM EST

_________________________________________
"Insydious" -- It's not as bad as you think

I haven't tried it, but... (2.80 / 5) (#10)
by givemegmail111 on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 07:12:28 PM EST

You aren't phishing for passwords, are you? What on Earth would you want with K5 passwords?

McDonalds: i'm lovin' it
Start your day tastefully with a Sausage, Egg & Cheese McGriddle, only at McDonalds.
Rusty fix my sig, dammit!
Thought that too (2.50 / 2) (#14)
by Psychopath on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 07:21:31 PM EST

But check it out, it's quite sweet. Reminds me a bit of the authentication method when installing menalto gallery v2.
The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. -- Karl Marx
Great. (2.50 / 2) (#13)
by i on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 07:18:39 PM EST

Now if only somebody could hack together a greasemonkey userscript... that puts a small envelope picture beside each username with the messaging account... which links to whatever box is there to send that user a message... I hate (having to learn) javascript, otherwise I'd probably do it myself... aw shit, please somebody do it for the greater good, or else.

and we have a contradicton according to our assumptions and the factor theorem

Yeah, I think that would be great. $ (none / 1) (#35)
by mr strange on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 03:38:39 AM EST

intrigued by your idea that fascism is feminine - livus
that and (none / 1) (#105)
by zrail on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 07:01:44 PM EST

read/cache the feed directly using greasemonkey and display a link under "Your Diary" called "Your Messages" or something. If you have some it'll display a number.

I'll work on hacking something up tonight. I should have a bit of time.

Attn: mr strange: (none / 1) (#106)
by zrail on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 08:26:36 PM EST

could you please allow me to pass to_uname as a get parameter to http://k5pm.firetree.net/new?

so it'd be http://k5pm.firetree.net/new?to_uname=zrail

it'd take that and prefill the to_uname field.

thanks!

Try this: (none / 1) (#112)
by mr strange on Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 03:47:15 AM EST

Reading K5 is like watching a retard trying to tie his shoelaces. Entertaining, but also a little bit sad.
- Des Beelzebubs Rechtsbeistand

thanks (none / 0) (#117)
by zrail on Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 01:24:55 PM EST

that works just fine. now i just have to work through some javascript issues and it should be good to go.

quick question for you. i have the following javascript code that produces the error "pathname has no properties". Any idea why this is? My javascript pocket reference says it's a read/write string property so it should be able to be accessed like that, right?

var pathname = document.links[1].pathname.toString();
GM_log(pathname);

greasemonkey script finished (none / 0) (#121)
by zrail on Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 03:50:09 PM EST

check here for more info.

obvious privacy / security concerns (2.80 / 5) (#15)
by Cyan Magenta Yellow Black on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 07:54:11 PM EST

why should I trust you with my k5 intimacies (lol) and my password?

why should I, mr strange?!?!

Because I am a man of honour. $ (2.00 / 2) (#36)
by mr strange on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 03:39:29 AM EST

intrigued by your idea that fascism is feminine - livus
I trust you completely (3.00 / 2) (#64)
by Cro Magnon on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 03:42:03 PM EST

because you said I could, and everyone knows trustworthy people don't lie.
Information wants to be beer.
but (2.00 / 3) (#17)
by agave on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 09:45:12 PM EST

how can I trust you with my password?

and you'll OBVIOUSLY be snooping my mail.

ah (none / 1) (#101)
by newspaperman on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 03:48:09 AM EST

yes, it's *********

Does this feature only work for subscribers? (2.66 / 3) (#18)
by Kasreyn on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 09:57:58 PM EST

Or will the penniless hordes be allowed to enjoy it? ;)

"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
Never mind. (3.00 / 2) (#20)
by Kasreyn on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 10:07:45 PM EST

I decided to register to test this, and it seems to work just fine. Excellent. Now all I need is someone who's interested in messaging me... and there's the rub. :P

Thanks, mr. strange.

"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
me first! me first! (1.50 / 2) (#22)
by dobbs on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 10:13:35 PM EST

wait, what are we talking about again?

Did you forget where you're at? (3.00 / 3) (#25)
by godix on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 11:01:35 PM EST

Someone interesting on K5? Nah, I suspect this has a rather short lifespan to it. After awhile a few small text ads will pop up here and there. There will be special features for people who subscribe and give money for the service but those special features will suck. After awhile Mr Strange will realize he can't make a living fucking around on overglorified blogs and have to get a real job. And finally someone will piss him off and he'll block anyone from subscribing to the service for half a year. So sure, private messaging may sound cool now but in a short while the only people using it will be trolls and morons who can't figure out when something has gone to hell.

More CORN!

You forgot the pledge drive! (none / 1) (#37)
by mr strange on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 03:45:34 AM EST

I don't think there will ever be enough users to justify putting ads on the site.

intrigued by your idea that fascism is feminine - livus
I'm going to sign up right now! (2.00 / 7) (#23)
by Mr Frumble on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 10:23:09 PM EST

Then maybe someone will finally tell me where to find my hat!

Maybe I'm overlooking it (none / 1) (#26)
by godix on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 11:08:49 PM EST

but is there a way to see which users have signed up for this?

More CORN!

I was wondering the same thing (2.66 / 3) (#28)
by LodeRunner on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 11:15:47 PM EST

Say, if I don't sign up for this, will people be able to "send me" messages unknowing that will end up in /dev/null?

"dude, you can't even spell your own name" -- Lode Runner

Just send them a message: (none / 1) (#39)
by mr strange on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 03:51:16 AM EST

If you want to prod them into picking it up, then you can do it in a K5 comment. Every time you send a message, you get a short link that you can give to the recipient. The link will take them straight to your message.

intrigued by your idea that fascism is feminine - livus
-1, I don't like private messaging (2.25 / 4) (#29)
by akostic on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 11:31:32 PM EST

Email just works better. (yeah, you said it ccan integrate with email, but bleh.. just email.)
"After an indeterminate amount of time trading insane laughter with the retards, I grew curious and tapped on the window." - osm
The problem is, (3.00 / 8) (#40)
by mr strange on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 03:53:54 AM EST

There's no way to give another K5er your e-mail, without everyone else being able to see it too. An furthermore, K5 comments last forever, so your e-mail address will be on the permanent record.

You can use this PM thing to establish first contact, and then use something more convenient from then on.

intrigued by your idea that fascism is feminine - livus

I have my email address listed. (2.00 / 2) (#75)
by akostic on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 05:19:44 PM EST

So It's still useless for me. Still -1. Very nice hack, but no use to me.
Simple Solution (none / 0) (#107)
by student on Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 12:17:29 AM EST

1.  User 1 creates temporary email account.
  2.  User 1 posts temporary email adress.
  3.  User 2 emails temporary account.
  4.  If User 1 wants to communicate with user 2, User 1 emails user 2 permanent email adress
  5.  User 1 deleted temporary email account.
  6.  ???
  7.  Profit!
If you have your own domain, making a temporary account is easy.

§§§§§§
Simon's Rock College of Bard, a college for younger scholars.
very clever (2.71 / 7) (#31)
by fleece on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 12:43:59 AM EST

how come when I'm logged in, I see what other users have messages waiting for them? It's kind of confusing from a UI point of view - at first I thought I had messages from them, and I was like "WTF?"

I feel like some drunken crazed lunatic trying to outguess a cat ~ Louis Winthorpe III
I'm guessing... (3.00 / 2) (#34)
by caine on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 02:41:21 AM EST

It's because the K5 boxes only allow for general RSS-feeds, so the feed doesn't know who you are, therefore it has to show everyone's inbox.

Ugh (1.27 / 11) (#47)
by Smothie on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 08:24:01 AM EST

Another method for people to use to bother me. No thanks.

Please visit my scoop site, Guppylog - For help with all livebearing fish.
With that attitude (2.40 / 5) (#54)
by mfeltman on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 11:30:01 AM EST

I doubt anyone wants to talk to you anyway.

whisper.

I promise not to bother you! (none / 0) (#60)
by emo kid on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 02:06:46 PM EST

Especially if you're as mean on K5IM as you are here!

Why did you sign up, then? (1.71 / 7) (#97)
by pwhysall on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 01:48:09 AM EST

Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown
Because you 0'd me for it. (1.66 / 6) (#103)
by Smothie on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 01:26:08 PM EST

So, it's a way to annoy you.

Seriously, you're way to free with that 0. My comment didn't merit a 0. You're just an ass. That, and I still don't like you very much.

Please visit my scoop site, Guppylog - For help with all livebearing fish.

How is it a way to annoy me? (1.25 / 4) (#110)
by pwhysall on Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 01:36:11 AM EST

"Gar! I'll sign up for this thing I don't want! That'll show 'im!"
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown
Because you already bit. $ (1.66 / 3) (#116)
by Smothie on Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 12:53:46 PM EST

Please visit my scoop site, Guppylog - For help with all livebearing fish.
I have that feature (3.00 / 2) (#48)
by dimaq on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 08:39:57 AM EST

I call it gmail *g*

Yah, but Google don't delete mail after 7 days. $ (2.25 / 4) (#53)
by mr strange on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 10:50:32 AM EST

intrigued by your idea that fascism is feminine - livus
Nice hack! (2.80 / 5) (#49)
by tetsuwan on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 09:03:41 AM EST

Thanks! It has worked for me without bugs this far.

Njal's Saga: Just like Romeo & Juliet without the romance

IAWTP +1FP [nt] (none / 1) (#51)
by Smiley K on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 10:20:03 AM EST

-- Someone set up us the bomb.
Good work. £ (2.50 / 4) (#52)
by stuaart on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 10:35:45 AM EST

Linkwhore: [Hidden stories.] Baldrtainment: Corporate concubines and Baldrson: An Introspective

Excellent (2.85 / 7) (#55)
by A Bore on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 12:26:04 PM EST

TweetsyGalore will send us all a message twice a day containing only a url to some leftist site and a nonsense one line description of the url.

Please stop private messaging me! (1.71 / 7) (#56)
by Josh Ferien on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 12:43:42 PM EST

I appreciate this service, mr strange, I really do. It helps me maintain contact with my associates in a way better suited to my browsing habits. In just a day of use, I've increased my productivity substantially now that I can dispense with IRC and so forth...

BUT

Will everyone else PLEASE STOP MESSAGING ME?! I don't even know half of you weirdos and you fill my private messages so I can't keep up -- not that I even want to! Traditionally, when people don't like what I have to say, they just post a response!

I just want everyone who's up at arms about my views on Islam or living on beaches or whatever else to know: I am not reading your messages. Okay? Just stop. Seriously. Post your witty retort as a response to the article. And just because it's private doesn't mean you get to be more abusive. What's with people around here anyway?

Cordially,

Josh Ferien

The J is for Justice!

I FORESEE A GRAND AND MIGHTY MARKETING OPPORTUNITY (2.66 / 3) (#63)
by toulouse on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 03:29:18 PM EST

THANK YOU FOR PROVIDING US WITH THIS SPAM VECTOR, OH MR STRANGE.

'My god...it's full of blogs.' - ktakki

you forgot to use your CAPS LOCK dupe acct nt (none / 1) (#65)
by circletimessquare on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 03:42:57 PM EST

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

I AM NOT HE / SHE / IT. THANK YOU. (2.50 / 2) (#70)
by toulouse on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 04:50:33 PM EST

'My god...it's full of blogs.' - ktakki

WHAT? COULD YOU SAY THAT A LITTLE LOUDER? nt (2.60 / 5) (#73)
by circletimessquare on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 05:11:36 PM EST

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Feature request: (none / 0) (#71)
by LilDebbie on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 04:52:05 PM EST

Can you change the top link on the RSS feed so it goes to the inbox instead of new message? kthnxwtfbbq!

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

I could, but why? (none / 0) (#79)
by mr strange on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 06:54:17 PM EST

If you have no new messages, what's the point? I thought that it would be more useful to make it the "new message" link.

If I was president I would just blow up their fucking shitty island [Aruba] and be done with it - Acidify

intrigued by your idea that fascism is feminine - livus

Because some of us don't use a seperate RSS viewer (2.50 / 2) (#83)
by LilDebbie on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 07:31:41 PM EST

And rusty's is slow.

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

WARNING!!! (2.54 / 11) (#72)
by nilquark on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 04:56:50 PM EST

I HAD CYBERSEX WITH WEEDADDICT, THEN FIVE HOURS LATER MR_STRANGE CONTACTED ME AND TOLD ME TO GIVE HIM $500 OR HE WILL PUBLISH THE LOGS.

DON'T FALL FOR IT!!!

Obviously fake. (2.66 / 6) (#80)
by mr strange on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 06:55:13 PM EST

No one would have cybersex with Weedaddict.

intrigued by your idea that fascism is feminine - livus

except, perhaps, the mentally 'less abled' (2.50 / 2) (#85)
by zombie loseweightordie on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 08:06:03 PM EST

and here's the reference for those who don't read in teh ghetto.

dude (2.25 / 4) (#74)
by circletimessquare on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 05:13:35 PM EST

valentine's day was 2 weeks ago

couldn't you have made that deadline?

now i'm supposed to wait a year for love notes?

so unfair of you

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Sorry, mate. (3.00 / 3) (#81)
by mr strange on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 06:55:47 PM EST

What about Shrove Tuesday?

omniEvents is a high availability messaging service for CORBA.

intrigued by your idea that fascism is feminine - livus

How do I read other people's messages? (2.85 / 7) (#82)
by Benway on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 07:09:08 PM EST

So this is what's it's come to (2.83 / 6) (#88)
by debacle on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 10:33:39 PM EST

The masses creating hacks in order to obtain features that are readily available at other sites.

Your poor, poor fellows.

It tastes sweet.

Not sure what it's for (none / 0) (#89)
by SocratesGhost on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 10:46:31 PM EST

I'm going to guess that over half of the conversations will be "Here's my ICQ number/email address. What's yours?"

Also, this suffers from a lack of intuitiveness partly because of the limits of its design. Why should I want to know how many mails each person has? Wouldn't it be better to have the person logged in and seeing only their own mailbox? (I know why this is difficult but that doesn't decrease the annoyance factor.) How many names will appear in that list? Why are the names not organized alphabetically?

Not trying to be a downer. I just see room for improvement and don't completely understand the niche it will fill.

-Soc
I drank what?

Agreed - signal to noise (none / 0) (#98)
by coljac on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 02:09:50 AM EST

I only want to see my own messages there. Please let me have a RSS feed all to myself - surely that would not be difficult.

Whether or not life is discovered there I think Jupiter should be declared an enemy planet. - Jack Handey
All members' unread mail count is shown because... (none / 1) (#100)
by mr strange on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 03:39:47 AM EST

...you can send messages to K5 users that have not yet signed up for the messaging service. Those users need to be able to see that they have a message, so that they can sign up and read it.

Perhaps you are right - once you have signed up, maybe the page should be limited to your incoming messages only.

intrigued by your idea that fascism is feminine - livus

this made the front page?? /nt (2.75 / 4) (#94)
by CtrlR on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 12:56:35 AM EST

Yup. Dumb. $ (2.00 / 4) (#95)
by akostic on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 01:04:33 AM EST

can i mention (none / 1) (#96)
by zombie HollyHopDrive on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 01:17:17 AM EST

when you register your username, it's case sensitive

[He blew]inside..m..e.. [and verily] corrected a deviated septum and cauterized my turbinates. - MichaelCrawford
I'll see if I can fix that. $ (none / 1) (#99)
by mr strange on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 03:30:08 AM EST

intrigued by your idea that fascism is feminine - livus

Question. (2.50 / 2) (#102)
by creature on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 12:34:32 PM EST

Perhaps I'm missing something, but how would you read something before it was sent?

It might never be read, (none / 1) (#104)
by mr strange on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 02:22:20 PM EST

in which case it will be deleted 7 days after it was sent. Surely that's obvious?

Can you think of a better way of phrasing it?

- Des Beelzebubs Rechtsbeistand

intrigued by your idea that fascism is feminine - livus

Fair enough $ (none / 1) (#119)
by creature on Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 08:15:20 PM EST

I changed my mind (none / 1) (#109)
by coljac on Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 01:22:53 AM EST

At first I thought this feed was cool, but I changed my mind, and I've unsubscribed. The messages (who's getting mail) shouldn't be public, and I shouldn't have to "keep my eye on" the feed, which is constantly updated with other people's messages. When I can go to http://k5pm.firetree.net/rss/coljac and get my personal messages fed to me, I'll be happy. I can't imagine there's too much work in that. I definitely laud the effort so far, though. The site is nicely done.

I will however set up email notification, so all the people who recognize me and like me can still send me PMs...

*chirp* ... *chirp* ... *chirp*

Do you really think you're going to... (none / 1) (#114)
by mr strange on Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 03:53:44 AM EST

...get that many messages?

Shrug. OK, I'll make individual RSS feeds. Obviously you will have to use a dedicated RSS reader for that. I don't imagine the K5 admins are going to want to add an RSS feed per user.

If you've registered an e-mail address, then surely you don't need to see what messages are waiting for you anyway.

Try my event calendar plugin for Wordpress.

intrigued by your idea that fascism is feminine - livus

Perhaps you're right (none / 0) (#115)
by coljac on Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 04:06:49 AM EST

...Perhaps I don't need an individual RSS feed. It seems appropriate to stick on the side of K5, and RSS is the way to do it.

Don't do it just on my account. :) I still don't see the use of a communal feed, though. Either individual RSS or none at all is what I'd say.

And no, personally, I am unlikely to receive [m]any PMs. Another reason not to listen to me.

BUG REPORT (1.50 / 2) (#111)
by Jobst of Moravia on Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 02:17:38 AM EST

when checking if a user has posted any comments it does not check the archive. plz fix k thx

__
   .,-;-;-,. /'_\ ---Did this Negro say "Street Moor"?
 _/_/_/_|_\_\) /
'-<_><_><_><_>=\
 `/_/====/_/-'\_\
  ""     ""    ""

Hmm. The only reason it needs comments, (none / 0) (#113)
by mr strange on Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 03:50:15 AM EST

is to determine the user's numeric ID. If you know a more reliable way to get the number from the name, then I'll change it.

Try my event calendar plugin for Wordpress.

intrigued by your idea that fascism is feminine - livus

do archived comments not link to the uid? (2.50 / 2) (#118)
by Jobst of Moravia on Wed Mar 01, 2006 at 04:04:26 PM EST

__
   .,-;-;-,. /'_\ ---Did this Negro say "Street Moor"?
 _/_/_/_|_\_\) /
'-<_><_><_><_>=\
 `/_/====/_/-'\_\
  ""     ""    ""

"new box" my ass | (none / 1) (#122)
by warrax on Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:10:16 PM EST

-- "Guns don't kill people. I kill people."
WHERE'S MY BOX, YOU FUCKER? § (none / 0) (#123)
by warrax on Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:23:07 PM EST

-- "Guns don't kill people. I kill people."
Try this comment... (2.00 / 2) (#124)
by mr strange on Sat Mar 04, 2006 at 04:36:36 AM EST

Apparently, you might need to set a checkbox called Syndicated Headlines.

Are you looking for CORBA training?

intrigued by your idea that fascism is feminine - livus

Thank you, mr. strange. (none / 1) (#125)
by warrax on Sat Mar 04, 2006 at 05:41:44 PM EST

I've decided against using the service, but thank you anyway.

-- "Guns don't kill people. I kill people."
May I ask why? (none / 1) (#126)
by mr strange on Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 06:52:26 AM EST

After all, once you've added the RSS box to K5 you can just ignore it. Perhaps one day you'll see your name there, and you'll know that someone wants to say something to you.

I don't see why 'using' it should be such a big step.

Are you looking for CORBA training?

intrigued by your idea that fascism is feminine - livus

because we don't know you (2.66 / 3) (#127)
by emo kid on Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 01:59:38 PM EST

and my mommy won't let me talk to strangers!

BLAARRRGRHHEVFIVRFOTRRRHH!!! (none / 1) (#128)
by Egil Skallagrimsons Mother on Thu Mar 16, 2006 at 08:09:12 PM EST

Prithee! Es messugg writt en html formatt orr en plaintextens? Forr Eye wouldst yuse klickcens linkie end speshul HTML charactern inn messugg tu limpy-lazy-boney sunn.

Theis is whatt happenns to thoos who aske abÝt mie anachronism.

Some advice... (none / 1) (#129)
by ShiftyStoner on Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 06:42:14 AM EST

Their needs to be a list of people who use k5 IM. There is a list of those with unread messages, so send everyone who signs up, and everyone who has signed up, a welcoming message. This would allow people to chose wether or not to be on the list, and put everyone who has signed up on the list. Without much effort.
( @ )'( @ ) The broad masses of a population are more amenable to the appeal of rhetoric than to any other force. - Adolf Hitler
um... (none / 1) (#130)
by ShiftyStoner on Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 06:57:32 AM EST

weekly message?
K5 Private Messaging | 130 comments (90 topical, 40 editorial, 0 hidden)