Let's All Get MichaelCrawford His Account Back

By it certainly is in Meta
Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 12:39:37 PM EST
Tags: michaelcrawford, pwhysall, muh dick (all tags)

Not every internet forum is blessed with the mentally ill. Love him or hate him, MichaelCrawford is one of Kuro5hin's best and most prolific writers. He is truly a K5 icon.

But, alas, tragedy has struck. The MichaelCrawford account has been struck down, deleted, anonymised. The full details of why this outrage against K5 has been perpetrated are not clear; it appears that the editor pwhysall took offense at a recent failed Crawford submission to the queue and left snarky comments; in response, our favourite K5 writer with schizoaffective disorder submitted story called "Let's All Get pwhysall Laid". Since then, the MichaelCrawford account has been missing in action.

Inside: What you can do to help

The usual K5 response to tragedy is to make comment ratings, write comments or, at best, post a diary. However, like bitching about the law on Slashdot, this has no effect in real life. Instead, you should
  1. Give a +1, Front Page vote to "Let's All Get pwhysall Laid". Kuro5hin has seen a dearth of FP-quality material recently, and this is just the sort of stuff to get K5 back on track. Besides, the basic fuel of the Internets is melodrama. If we don't keep the pipes flowing with the stuff, the Internets will fall out of orbit and crash into the Sun, sending it supernova.
  2. Write an email to rusty@kuro5hin.org and editors@kuro5hin.org. The reason for this is because these are the people who can remedy this situation. They don't necessarily read Kuro5hin. They do tend to read their email. A simple message like this should suffice:
    To: rusty@kuro5hin.org
    Cc: editors@kuro5hin.org
    Subject: Regarding Michael Crawford

Dear Rusty,

I notice that the MichaelCrawford account has been suspended. I don't know the details surrounding this action, but I think Mike Crawford is one of the best writers on Kuro5hin and shouldn't be anonymised unless he specifically requested that action himself.

Please bring back the MichaelCrawford account. If this is not possible, please make a public announcement of his departure so people can pay tribute to him.

Regards

I urge you all to do the right thing.

Update [2007-1-18 20:41:23 by driph]: Okay guys, there's really no need to email us on this anymore. The MichaelCrawford account is alive and well.

o Slashdot
o Kuro5hin
o mentally ill
o MichaelCra wford
o MichaelCra wford [2]
o pwhysall
o Let's All Get pwhysall Laid
o melodrama
o rusty@kuro 5hin.org
o editors@ku ro5hin.org
o alive and well
o Also by it certainly is

Let's All Get MichaelCrawford His Account Back | 145 comments (144 topical, 1 editorial, 2 hidden)
I have to say (2.65 / 20) (#1)
by stuaart on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:20:57 AM EST

this is probably the first time I've been shocked by something happening on k5. pwhysall should leave his obvious prejudices at home and take his editor responsibilities seriously.

MC might be annoying at times, but he's contributed a lot more than many.

Linkwhore: [Hidden stories.] Baldrtainment: Corporate concubines and Baldrson: An Introspective

Damned right. (2.77 / 18) (#5)
by creature on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:28:17 AM EST

I find him to be irritating and boring a lot of the time, but every so often he'll bash out a technical article that's actually worth reading. And watching Ogg Frog flail around is quite entertaining, too.

But as you so rightly said, he is contributing. He writes stuff that's (mostly) grammatically correct and well-spelt, isn't obscene or indecent, and every so often is actually funny. He's trying to contribute in the best way he knows how*. Given the troll-fest, the diary ghetto, and the crap that enters the queue there are far better targets for anonymisation than Mike.

* Actually, I'm still not completely convinced he's not actually a very subtle troll, but that's irrelevant.

I do and that's why I said what I did. (1.33 / 18) (#6)
by pwhysall on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:29:45 AM EST

Which didn't warrant his toddler-response, which in turn invoked the ire of people who can anonymise.

Plus, he was advised not to post it. Good advice.

He's had numerous goes at me in the past. It's well-documented here and it always turns out that he's in the wrong. I've gone out of my way to help him a number of times in the past - which he has acknowledged.

And then I get this, because I dare to disagree with his posting of silly crap in the queue?

Cheers much, Mike. Hope you enjoy the drama.
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

If you haven't (2.60 / 15) (#7)
by stuaart on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:36:51 AM EST

got a thick skin, then why are you an editor? Furthermore, it's not your job to judge what's in the queue unless it's spam, which, even in that case, will get quickly judged and sorted by kurons. The bottom line is that it doesn't matter how much you don't like his stories or diaries.

I'm not suggesting you aren't allowed to have an opinion, just that how you express that opinion has an impact that the vast majority of the users here can't even hope for.

Thick skin? (1.55 / 9) (#9)
by pwhysall on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:41:59 AM EST

There's a difference between having a thick skin and having to put up with this sort of nonsense.

Also, I can judge just as well as anyone else what's in the queue and in the same way - all I did was post a comment saying that my opinion was that this was silly crap that didn't ought to be there.

My opinion weighs no more than anyone else's.

It doesn't matter how much I don't like his stories (his diaries are his business, and I don't much care about what's in the diary section as long as it's legal) but I have every right - as does everyone else - to say, in an editorial comment attached to a story, that I think that the story either sucks or rocks.
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

Look (2.20 / 5) (#12)
by stuaart on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:46:41 AM EST

Again, I don't care if you post a comment. The thing I'm talking about is anonymising someone essentially because you as an editor were annoyed by their stories.

Amirite? Was it you or someone else?

I am merely an editor. (1.75 / 8) (#13)
by pwhysall on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:47:43 AM EST

I cannot delete users, comments or ratings.

I can, however, check your spelling.
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

But you can say 'bitch had it coming' (1.33 / 3) (#17)
by it certainly is on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:53:33 AM EST

and you can be happy about seeing him go, both of which are deplorable things.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Godwin's law [...] is impossible to violate except with an infinitely long thread that doesn't mention nazis.

I'm happy about neither. (1.37 / 8) (#18)
by pwhysall on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:55:20 AM EST

Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown
UH HUH (1.16 / 6) (#80)
by FEKLAAR on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 05:17:47 PM EST

I AM MIGHTY!!!! BEWARE THE GAZE OF FEKLAAR'S ONE ALL SEEING EYE OR POWER! ALL HAIL FEKLAAR!
CENSOR IS MORE LIKE IT (1.16 / 6) (#79)
by FEKLAAR on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 05:17:17 PM EST

May i hazard a guess (2.27 / 11) (#14)
by Kurosawa Nagaya on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:48:30 AM EST

Mr. whysall has his hand up Captain_Tenilles ass.

The reason for this is simple: we're all full of shit ~ circletimessquare

What are the chances (1.66 / 6) (#43)
by daveybaby on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 10:00:01 AM EST

that captain tenille, someone who has barely visited the site in the past 2 years (based on his posting history, which admittedly may not be an accurate indicator), just so happened to pass by at the right time to anonymise MC for writing that article?

Or did somebody who 'cannot delete users, comments or ratings' request it?

Interacting with mentally ill people. (2.71 / 14) (#15)
by it certainly is on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:50:44 AM EST

I don't care the feuds and vendettas that you seem to think people have against you, but can you at least stand up and denounce the anonymization of Michael Crawford's account?

Michael Crawford isn't like Jason Pawloski. He writes eloquent, interesting articles and while this latest outburst is an unnecessary reaction, the Kuro5hin readership is perfectly capable of getting it out of the queue themselves. Michael Crawford doesn't deserve to be anonymised for this and, even if he did, his long history of writing excellent articles for this site needs to be taken into account.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Dear pwhysall (1.25 / 4) (#98)
by Kurosawa Nagaya on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 10:07:13 PM EST

harden the fuck up

The reason for this is simple: we're all full of shit ~ circletimessquare

I've argued with pwhysall in the past... (2.00 / 2) (#132)
by CodeWright on Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 08:47:49 AM EST

...and his is a saner head than mine.

I think pwhysall is in the right here. MichaelCrawford was just stupid, poking at lions.

A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb? --clover_kicker

What's the point in hating someone (1.40 / 5) (#24)
by autogenerated username on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 08:20:03 AM EST

you don't have access to?

Whysall hands can hardly be clean (2.77 / 9) (#26)
by Kurosawa Nagaya on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 08:27:05 AM EST

Seriously, you mean to tell me the Captain assface come back here for the first time in a year and posts one comment and strikes MC from the userbase, curious.

The reason for this is simple: we're all full of shit ~ circletimessquare

Fair call (2.55 / 9) (#28)
by Kurosawa Nagaya on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 08:34:36 AM EST

Is it okay for me to want both of their heads, for now, anyway?

The reason for this is simple: we're all full of shit ~ circletimessquare

You're even more bitter than Lemon Juice (2.42 / 14) (#8)
by it certainly is on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:40:15 AM EST

You're just so right and all your enemies, especially your arch-enemy MichaelCrawford are just so wrong.

Let. It. Go.

I think Mike may have a point. Have you considered waving a katana around, or taking some soft-focus pictures of you and a mirrorball?

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

You're ascribing a depth of emotion (2.20 / 5) (#10)
by pwhysall on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:43:01 AM EST

that doesn't exist.

I don't have "arch-enemies".

However, if it entertains you to think that I do, go right ahead.
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

We want mike around you dipshit (2.07 / 13) (#11)
by Kurosawa Nagaya on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:44:01 AM EST

Instead of letting people vote his story down, as would have been the most likely outcome.

You step in and anonymize a guy who has actually contributed content.

Sure it's not always useful but sometimes it's interesting and it's a lot more than you've ever given us.

You've made our dear MichaelCrawford, schizoaffective and all, a matyr.

I must confess, I had always thought you had no reason to be a part of this community other than the power trip thing, I guess i was right.

Oh yeah, and it would have been voted down you retard, now everyone who wants to take a shot at you can now be justified doing so.

Not that you're worth wasting the time or effort on it, but you get the idea.

The reason for this is simple: we're all full of shit ~ circletimessquare

If it was crap (2.55 / 9) (#19)
by Zombie Gautama Buddha on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:58:37 AM EST

then it will get dumped. And if people vote it to the front page, then perhaps it deserves to be there? That is the whole idea of a democratic site. If he was having a go at anyone else, then you would let it go. You are taking this personally, therefore you should deal with it personally, not via your admin privileges.

It's so adorable (1.25 / 4) (#93)
by Comrade Wonderful on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 08:18:53 PM EST

when dorks cling to this notion of meritocracy.

Even at Google you are judged not by what you do, but by how little of a personality you have.

disagreeing with his posting is fine (2.57 / 7) (#36)
by Delirium on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 09:06:44 AM EST

Deleting his account is not.

AS OPPOSED TO WHAT OTHER SILLY CRAP IN THE QUEUE? (1.00 / 7) (#77)
by FEKLAAR on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 05:16:15 PM EST

YOU WOULD MAINTAIN THAT THERE IS NO K5 CABAL? SHIT LIKE THIS PROVES THAT THERE INDEED IS SUCH AN INFESTATION. REINSTATE MY ONLY FAN, AND DO IT NOW.

FEKLAAR IS MIGHTY AND HE HATH SPOKEN.

It seems it was Captain_Tenille (2.58 / 12) (#2)
by curien on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:21:29 AM EST

rather than pwhysall who did the actual anonymating. See here (probably must enable hidden comments to see it). Hence my retort.

I'm directly under the Earth's sun ... ... now!
A big fuck you to both of them (2.35 / 14) (#3)
by Kurosawa Nagaya on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:26:23 AM EST

Why don't you just meet up at a motel and suck eachother dicks.

The reason for this is simple: we're all full of shit ~ circletimessquare

True (2.00 / 4) (#21)
by Zombie Gautama Buddha on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 08:00:31 AM EST

I guess I take some of my comments back then. But, the ideas in there still apply to pw and Captain_Tenille.

I second this.. (2.64 / 17) (#4)
by Psycho Dave on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:27:07 AM EST

I regret -1ing MC's story now. In my defense, I did it before realizing he's been anonymized.

I'm not MC's biggest fan, but he does add something to the site. I think it's just bad form for the editors to run off one of their biggest contributors.

I can think of at least (2.52 / 17) (#20)
by mybostinks on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:59:44 AM EST

a half dozen accounts that should be anonymised other than the MichaelCrawford account (most regulars know who they are too).

I would like to know why his account was hosed and the following justification as to why the editor does not want it reinstated.

If this is over the story in the the queue then that is about as lame as it gets.

post kool kidz list or stfu (2.16 / 6) (#68)
by Michael D Crawford on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 01:18:15 PM EST

IAWPP (2.00 / 5) (#110)
by LilDebbie on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 11:45:47 AM EST

We demand recognition!

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

Ah... Internet Drama... (2.45 / 11) (#22)
by givemegmail111 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 08:12:44 AM EST

I for one welcome the anonymization of MichaelCrawford, as well as the subsequent editorial shakeup when Rusty finds out.

I bet Michael has his account back before he even realizes it's gone.

McDonalds: i'm lovin' it
Start your day tastefully with a Sausage, Egg & Cheese McGriddle, only at McDonalds.
Rusty fix my sig, dammit!

That was actually the case. I slept through it! $ (2.25 / 8) (#100)
by MichaelCrawford on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 11:07:17 PM EST

Live your fucking life. Sue someone on the Internet. Write a fucking music player. Like the great man Michael David Crawford has shown us all: Hard work, a strong will to stalk, and a few fries short of a happy meal goes a long way. -- bride of spidy

We missed you Michael (1.75 / 4) (#101)
by givemegmail111 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 11:13:12 PM EST

Buy an alarm clock next time.

McDonalds: i'm lovin' it
Rusty fix my sig, dammit!
I remember Michael Crawford (2.45 / 11) (#29)
by billt on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 08:34:42 AM EST

as a man driven by a passion for excellence in the face of mental instability. Always quick with a good word or anecdote, MC often lightened my heart when I was feeling blue. My only regret is that I lacked the patience and understanding needed to be his friend.

Thank you for your kind words. (2.80 / 5) (#99)
by MichaelCrawford on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 11:06:48 PM EST

I'm touched, I really am.

I am confused. (2.77 / 9) (#31)
by zenofchai on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 08:42:45 AM EST

Why hasn't banning been absorbed by a more democratic (and particularly OPEN) k5 process?

That aside...

MC is one of the few actual resources of k5. One of the few people that I've actually been able to "converse" with on this "inter-web" thingy through k5.

A pity.
The K5 Interactive Political Compass SVG Graph

Voting age is 18. (1.60 / 5) (#92)
by Comrade Wonderful on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 08:16:28 PM EST

I'm confused. (1.40 / 5) (#124)
by zenofchai on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 08:39:19 PM EST

Voting age is 18.

?
The K5 Interactive Political Compass SVG Graph

I wuz emplying most k5rs r < 18. (2.00 / 5) (#130)
by Comrade Wonderful on Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 12:48:32 AM EST

HE'S BACK (2.54 / 11) (#32)
by autogenerated username on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 08:50:22 AM EST

THE PROPHET

OMG WTF WEBSITE DRAMA (2.48 / 33) (#33)
by rusty on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 08:59:30 AM EST

Crawford reinstated and warned, curien warned, issue discussed with various admins, crisis averted.

The worthwhile lesson here is, even if you're Michael Crawford please don't be a dick.

____
Not the real rusty

what about the other lesson (2.88 / 18) (#35)
by Delirium on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 09:04:32 AM EST

You shouldn't allow people who don't use k5 to have k5 admin access, since they invariably fuck things up.

Even if MC's actions warranted banning (which they didn't), they certainly wouldn't have warranted anonymization, which greatly damages the usability of k5 by removing his comment, story, and diary history. I don't see how Captain_Tenille could have even thought that was acceptable, except that he doesn't use k5 at all so has no idea what's acceptable here.

I would personally be quite happy if all the administrators were removed except for you, aphrael, and janra.

Huh? (2.35 / 14) (#55)
by rusty on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 12:07:09 PM EST

MC's comments etc were never wiped. He was just banninated. It blanks the user page, but all his stuff is still there.

And I would personally be quite happy if I had a pony and a million dollars. So we've all got dreams, don't we? :-)

____
Not the real rusty

well I meant that part (2.30 / 10) (#59)
by Delirium on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 12:19:42 PM EST

The userpage blanking is particularly annoying for navigation. It's not like I have the URLs of particular stories and diary entries memorized, and Google's index is only marginally useful.

i always wanted a pony, but guess i will (2.28 / 7) (#61)
by dakini on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 12:21:49 PM EST

settle for the sig..thanks!! :)

" May your vision be clear, your heart strong, and may you always follow your dreams."
That's so cute, (2.14 / 7) (#91)
by Comrade Wonderful on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 08:15:51 PM EST

the pony part.  lol!

Dorks really are developmentally arrested.

warned for what? (2.80 / 21) (#37)
by zenofchai on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 09:13:56 AM EST

almost everybody left on k5 is a dick or is at least a dick sometimes. i'm the nicest freaking guy in the room most of the time but even i get a mean streak when i come here.

in other words: you lost the "don't be a dick on k5" war a LONG FUCKING TIME AGO.
The K5 Interactive Political Compass SVG Graph

iawtp (2.50 / 4) (#50)
by cDiss on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 11:24:53 AM EST

and if this rule were actually implemented I'd have been IP banned at least a year ago

arbitrary meaningless rules, unethical admins, lolwhatever etc

no he won it (1.00 / 2) (#75)
by zombie HollyHopDrive on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 04:24:46 PM EST

and is exercising his right to be a dick

[He blew]inside..m..e.. [and verily] corrected a deviated septum and cauterized my turbinates. - MichaelCrawford
You're only nice because you're a moron (1.66 / 3) (#147)
by debacle on Sun Jan 21, 2007 at 05:13:40 PM EST

And you're afraid of being hit.

It tastes sweet.
ROFL (2.76 / 21) (#40)
by Sgt York on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 09:38:47 AM EST

From "Where the smart get mean" to "don't be a dick".

I'm sure I could go through the archives and link a story focused on actively being a dick for each word in that sentence. And I probably wouldn't have to go back that far. If you anon'd everyone that was a dick around here, you'd be left with nothing but the lurkers and exceptionally boring people. I know I'd be on the hit list.

We all know who the real dick was here, and it wasn't MC.

Regardless, cooler heads prevailed, the situation was reexamined in hindsight, oversights were rectified and all that. All's well that ends well.

There is a reason for everything. Sometimes, that reason just sucks.

That's exactly why I'm at K5. (2.33 / 9) (#70)
by creature on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 01:32:23 PM EST

"Where the smart get mean", I mean.

WP:DICK, anyone? This is creeping me out. (2.50 / 4) (#120)
by Kasreyn on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 06:56:09 PM EST

Rusty, let's please have much much less authority and power in anyone's hands around here, ok? There are enough circle-jerk cliques at wikipedia pissing me off already without having to figure out who the favored ones are here that we must kowtow to.

I mean, I quit trying to find my tech news here fucking years ago, man! I come here to watch the carnival of freaks and walking abortions do their thing.

"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
You have to be fucking kidding me (2.80 / 20) (#44)
by LilDebbie on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 10:16:09 AM EST

Given the level of shit-giving that you yourself have engaged in, Mr. Crawford's jab at pwhysall was kindergarten-tame in comparison. If anyone here was out of line, it was pwhysall.

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

Whya re you angry? This was hilarious! (2.11 / 9) (#47)
by Egil Skallagrimson on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 11:10:03 AM EST

I wish the site was more about stuff like this and less about the crap that Mike posts ad nauseum.

What's even better is that he finally posts something funny and well-done that's not about some cryptic computer crap and he gets anon'd.

----------------

Enterobacteria phage T2 is a virulent bacteriophage of the T4-like viruses genus, in the family Myoviridae. It infects E. coli and is the best known of the T-even phages. Its virion contains linear double-stranded DNA, terminally redundant and circularly permuted.

The admins must be kept in check (2.00 / 5) (#53)
by LilDebbie on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 11:56:01 AM EST

If we could do retaliatory anonymizations, all and good, but we can't so we have to rely on other methods.

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

Hey, feudalism with a bit of power ain't so bad. (2.00 / 6) (#58)
by Egil Skallagrimson on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 12:17:24 PM EST

I like to see people nullo'd, even if it's me sometimes. It's funny.

----------------

Some of us like continuous identities (2.00 / 5) (#62)
by LilDebbie on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 12:39:38 PM EST

I realize you would not be among them, but there you have it.

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

I like multiple identities. (2.25 / 8) (#67)
by Egil Skallagrimson on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 01:14:32 PM EST

Just like in real life.

----------------

Quit trying to live in the past!! (1.60 / 5) (#119)
by Kasreyn on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 06:49:30 PM EST

Get with the new!

"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
Like sands through the hourglass. (2.16 / 6) (#72)
by fluxrad on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 03:16:00 PM EST

These are the days of our lives.

"It is seldom liberty of any kind that is lost all at once."
-David Hume
Clearly, (2.42 / 7) (#74)
by creature on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 04:06:07 PM EST

what is needed is a nuclear deterrent. That'll keep the peace.

This is serious, after all - it is the Internet.

Labored, yet still good. (2.40 / 5) (#118)
by Kasreyn on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 06:48:23 PM EST

Oldmemes are like velveeta or cheez wiz in that regard.

"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
Closing narration: (2.56 / 16) (#46)
by starX on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 11:06:49 AM EST

[Our leads, a dashing, debonair, bomber jacket wearing it certainly is and his lady love, the recent flowing locks, leggy blond damsel in distress MichaelCrawford climb into a plane. The engines spins up and they lift off flying into the sunset]

Narrator: The smiling beneficence of rusty proves once again that absolute authority in the hands of those who are above the law and beyond reproach really is the best form of government.

[The sun sets. Music Plays. Roll the credits.]

"I like you starX, you disagree without sounding like a fanatic from a rock-solid point of view. Highfive." --WonderJoust

Bet you're a huge fan of Jimbo Wales too. -nt (2.80 / 5) (#117)
by Kasreyn on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 06:47:22 PM EST

nt
"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
RUSTY, THIS IS HILARIOUS (2.25 / 4) (#52)
by mybostinks on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 11:52:13 AM EST

truly oni of the all time great comments! Thanks for that. Sigged it...

OMG ARBITRARY RULES UNETHICAL BLAP BLURB ETC ETC (2.16 / 6) (#69)
by cDiss on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 01:19:55 PM EST

you get the gist

Why was curien warned? (1.60 / 5) (#113)
by shm on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 01:12:52 PM EST

Man, I need to get back here more often.

He posted a story (2.33 / 6) (#127)
by Kurosawa Nagaya on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 10:13:59 PM EST

Shortly after MC was banned entitled "Let's all get Captain_Tenille laid."

The reason for this is simple: we're all full of shit ~ circletimessquare

Pls to be explaining (2.20 / 5) (#136)
by regeya on Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 12:26:10 PM EST

What Crawford did was pretty tame compared to what some of our long-term dickheads do. So you can be a total cock as long as it's only in diarrhies and comments?

And I suppose that since apparently Natalee Holloway wasn't a member, the patently offensive Fuck Natalee Holloway story was allowed to stay on the front page for weeks on end, and is still in the list of current stories? Would it be okay if someone were to post a story seeking funds to get a non-member laid?

Look, all I'm getting at is "don't be a dick" is pretty shitty (and pretty vague) editorial policy. Either enforce it or don't.

BTW, just out of curiosity, is Daily Kos really looking to do a major overhaul??? Yikes.

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

Well (2.40 / 5) (#140)
by rusty on Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 08:45:46 PM EST

We've always had vague and shitty editorial policies, and never really claimed otherwise. Sorry.

Also, "don't be a dick" is pretty universally applied. I also think that if that's the message, it just deserves a warning, which is what Mike ended up with.

And dKos, yes, as far as I know they are planning to build their own app from scratch. I don't especially envy them the task. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

build their own app from scratch (2.66 / 3) (#143)
by wiredog on Fri Jan 19, 2007 at 08:44:28 AM EST

Good God why?! DailyKos is a group/community (a mostly whackjob community, but still) blog just like K5, HuSi, or even parts of Slashdot. Hell, even UserFriendly has appropriate software for the stuff DailyKos does. Why the sudden case of Not Invented Here? Are they just pissed off because RedState (another set of whackjobs) runs on Scoop, and they want something where they can restrict the license to 'acceptable' causes?

Or are they looking to create the Great American Web 2.0 Blogging System?

Wilford Brimley scares my chickens.
Phil the Canuck

They want to seem relevant (2.40 / 5) (#148)
by debacle on Sun Jan 21, 2007 at 05:16:56 PM EST

Without actually mattering.

Thus, they need Web2.0.

It tastes sweet.

Methinks that... (2.50 / 6) (#34)
by mirleid on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 09:04:08 AM EST

...pwhysall and MC should just get a room. It would most likely be their first threesome (or foursome or whatever)...

Chickens don't give milk
Some of you are the stupidest people I know (1.75 / 8) (#39)
by Egil Skallagrimson on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 09:16:07 AM EST

When you have a long run and then they nullo your account, that's a tip of the hat. To not be nullo'd out of a prejudice against you shows that you are tired, old and getting boring. I've been trying in my own little anonamour way to get nullo'd for months now, and no one will do it. I get warnings ALL THE TIME but no one kills me.

Am I just too damn funny, or is it something else?

----------------

Clearly its something else $ (1.87 / 8) (#56)
by daveybaby on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 12:14:28 PM EST

Clearly, huh? (1.85 / 7) (#57)
by Egil Skallagrimson on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 12:16:30 PM EST

HAY FAGGIT GET THE POINT: WHO R U ANYWAY???!!!!

----------------

You're too obvious (2.12 / 8) (#90)
by Comrade Wonderful on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 08:13:46 PM EST

and gay.

Too obviously what? (2.25 / 4) (#114)
by Egil Skallagrimson on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 02:24:34 PM EST

Plus, for somone who wrote that while corn-holing his old, wrinkly, male nightschool teacher, I don't think you should be commenting on who or what is gay.

----------------

Uh, yeah! (2.66 / 3) (#129)
by Comrade Wonderful on Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 12:47:42 AM EST

ROFLKOPTOR. yeah!

Did anyone ever tell you that (1.25 / 4) (#134)
by Egil Skallagrimson on Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 11:05:12 AM EST

roflkopter is a total faggit word? Cause it is.

----------------

I'm well aware, that's why I used it in mockery. (1.00 / 5) (#135)
by Comrade Wonderful on Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 11:44:17 AM EST

btw, I caught you on American Idol last night.  Your MySpace page makes you sound a lot more confident than you were last night, good job.

Good one. That was me.SRSLY!!!! (2.20 / 5) (#137)
by Egil Skallagrimson on Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 12:40:14 PM EST

----------------

Eye no. :( (1.25 / 4) (#142)
by Comrade Wonderful on Fri Jan 19, 2007 at 08:16:25 AM EST

I have a sig now.

Egil Skallagrimson was carrying the axe with which he had killed Simon Cowell and which he called 'Nick Zitzmann.'

It's something else. (2.50 / 6) (#121)
by Kasreyn on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 07:00:08 PM EST

If they anonymize you, they might not figure out who you are quickly enough with your next account (assuming you decide to be stealthy). Perhaps They like keeping an eye on you, Egil. Perhaps They're keeping an eye on you right now.

Perhaps They watch you masturbate when you think you're alone.

"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
Fuck him. (1.92 / 14) (#41)
by BadDoggie on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 09:46:53 AM EST

He's been increasingly annoying and had started violating basic policies here such as crapflooding the queue. His spam is unwanted and his ego has grown so massive -- even though much of the praise egging him on was nothing more than trolling him -- that he became too fucking unbearable.

When I read the news, I smiled, thought that there may indeed be some justice here, and realised there's still hope that maybe one day noogee might get his rightful nick back.

woof.

"Eppur si muove." -- Galileo Galilei
"Nevertheless, it moves."

End of play (2.12 / 8) (#42)
by it certainly is on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 09:49:59 AM EST

Looks like Mike got his account back, his story (and all comments) got completely nuked and curien's story was forcibly dumped, but the comments remain.

So, all in all, hooray for direct action and I hope Mike entertains us for a long time to come.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

And it happened on MLK day as well (2.60 / 15) (#45)
by TDS on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 10:19:03 AM EST

Suspicious choice of day to do a brother down.

K5 admins = playa haters.

And when we die, we will die with our hands unbound. This is why we fight.

MLK DAY HEREBY RENAMED MLC DAY (2.75 / 16) (#48)
by daveybaby on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 11:11:03 AM EST

Dont know what the L stands for but i'm sure we can come up with something appropriate.

The L stands for ''Living with Schizophrenia'' (2.71 / 21) (#49)
by givemegmail111 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 11:24:07 AM EST

And it should always be written with the appropriate link.

McDonalds: i'm lovin' it
Rusty fix my sig, dammit!
Having been away on (gasp) actual work for a while (2.14 / 7) (#51)
by shm on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 11:25:05 AM EST

I missed the show.

Somehow k5 won't be the same without MC.

how does someone get anonymized? (2.44 / 9) (#54)
by circletimessquare on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 12:01:25 PM EST

i can't believe that i've been here so long, ranting as i have, and no one's put the target on my back

it's like i'm a fucking model citizen or seomthing, fuck me

i want to be anonymized too! all the cool kids are doing it! i don't want to be the goody two shoes dork! :-(

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

They could tell us... (2.37 / 8) (#60)
by b1t r0t on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 12:20:48 PM EST

...but then we'd both have to be Anonymized.

-- Indymedia: the fanfiction.net of journalism.
It's easier to track you this way. -rn (2.91 / 12) (#66)
by Sgt York on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 12:59:34 PM EST

There is a reason for everything. Sometimes, that reason just sucks.

I know of one sure fire way. (2.44 / 9) (#71)
by fluxrad on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 03:13:08 PM EST

I'm afraid that if I mention her name I'll get the boot too. As much as I hate you guys, I like the privilege of having a K5 account.

"It is seldom liberty of any kind that is lost all at once."
-David Hume
mention the name (1.66 / 3) (#73)
by circletimessquare on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 03:40:25 PM EST

c'mon, no one else is reading this

help me out ;-)

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

rmg delivers (2.50 / 4) (#83)
by it certainly is on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 05:48:00 PM EST

as evidenced

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

im confused (1.25 / 4) (#85)
by circletimessquare on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 06:32:03 PM EST

i thought it was another issue i knew about

anyway, i was just trying to get the guy to open his mouth and get himself canned, not actually looking for the name ;-P

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

I love you too, cts. dollar sign. (1.00 / 4) (#112)
by fluxrad on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 12:49:30 PM EST

"It is seldom liberty of any kind that is lost all at once."
-David Hume
Oh no.. (1.66 / 3) (#86)
by The Amazing Idiot on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 06:38:05 PM EST

Is it Rusty's wife and $THAT$ photo?

Thats one way for a surefire trip down /dev/null

link? (2.20 / 5) (#63)
by binford2k on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 12:49:15 PM EST

Why does the pwhysall link point to kitten?

Are you implying it's an accident? /nt (2.37 / 8) (#64)
by MotorMachineMercenary on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 12:54:25 PM EST

MMM: the thinking man's idiot
- zombie twisted sandshoe

Thanks Everyone (2.37 / 16) (#65)
by Michael D Crawford on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 12:55:47 PM EST

I have given the matter some thought, and I think it is probably best to start anew.  I hold no ill-will to either PW or C_T, so please restrain yourselves and save your invective for more worthy targets.

I anticipate a personal new era, featuring more and better writing, early and frequent Ogg Frog releases, and fewer trips to the nuthatch.

Thanks for your support.

What the fuck? (2.37 / 8) (#76)
by godix on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 04:42:09 PM EST

Some minor internet drama happened and it gets FP? The only thing to get FP in almost a week I might add. Christ, way to prove the 'k5 is dying' thing is true.

Although I did find it amusing that both rusty and pwhysall voted against this story. You'd think they both would keep their head down and wait for this stupid thing to blow over.

- An egotist is someone who thinks they're almost as good as I am.

rusty is (1.10 / 10) (#82)
by MotorMachineMercenery on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 05:24:19 PM EST

socially retarded and a known faggot.

no. (2.64 / 14) (#95)
by aphrael on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 08:49:17 PM EST

i'm the known faggot. rusty is married to a woman. get it straight.

The black man takes care of her needs [nt] (2.88 / 9) (#103)
by Stjck on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 03:36:44 AM EST

HIDING COMMENTS DOESNT HELP YOU EITHER (1.40 / 10) (#81)
by FEKLAAR on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 05:19:17 PM EST

EDITOR BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.....

I AM FUCKING FEKLAAR

I AM FUCKING MIGHTY

HEAR ME ABUSE THE FUCKING WORD FUCKING AND HEAR ME FUCKING ROAR!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

you little bitch!

wow, shows me (2.20 / 10) (#84)
by lostincali on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 06:22:20 PM EST

I thought pwhysall and michael crawford were the same person all this time

"The least busy day [at McDonalds] is Monday, and then sales increase throughout the week, I guess as enthusiasm for life dwindles."

yes, that's what i was looking for you to do (2.00 / 4) (#88)
by circletimessquare on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 06:48:45 PM EST

now you go POOF

clap, clap

magic!

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Oh noes, (2.37 / 8) (#89)
by it certainly is on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 06:58:14 PM EST

you got me good there, you really did.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Thank you for your support (2.61 / 13) (#94)
by MichaelCrawford on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 08:41:54 PM EST

It seems I slept through the whole controversy. By the time I awoke, I'd been anonymized, restored and warned.

When I acknowledged my warning, my account was restored to normal status.

Way to kill the hub bub (2.25 / 4) (#96)
by Chewbacca Uncircumsized on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 09:02:33 PM EST

I was already to rise to your defense.

I think we're all glad that didn't happen. (1.25 / 4) (#123)
by Kasreyn on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 07:05:58 PM EST

We might go blind in unison.

"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
Hey Oh! (2.00 / 4) (#126)
by Chewbacca Uncircumsized on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 09:20:43 PM EST

OMG, he's dead, Jim. n/t (1.60 / 5) (#97)
by sye on Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 09:16:54 PM EST

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
commentary - For a better sye@K5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ripple me ~~> ~allthingsgo: gateway to Garden of Perfect Brightess in CNY/BTC/LTC/DRK
rubbing u ~~> ~procrasti: getaway to HE'LL
Hey! at least he was in a stable relationship. - procrasti
enter K5 via Blastar.in

what happened? (1.40 / 5) (#102)
by RelliK on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 03:30:23 AM EST

can sombody explain what happened? I missed the whole drama.
Under capitalism man exploits man, under communism it's just the opposite.
Michael Crawford is an asset (2.50 / 6) (#104)
by FreeNSK on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 03:39:47 AM EST

Michael Crawford is an asset for the K5 community and we certainly enjoy him to be around. I cannot understand why anyone would want him anonymised. I am happy that his account was restored, and I hope that people stop pissing him off, as I can understand completely how he feels at times.

=== NSK ===

Have been away from K5 a while... (1.25 / 4) (#105)
by caine on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 04:35:13 AM EST

Saw this in my RSS-feeds and it's an outrage! An outrage I say!

Nah, but seriously, I think he's quite wrong and stupid sometimes, but he's about as inoffensive as you can get, and he's passionate, and he writes things that sometimes interesting to read. What gives with the anonymization pwhysall and Rusty?

After actually having RTFC (2.20 / 5) (#106)
by caine on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 04:37:34 AM EST

It seems Mr. pwhysall is innocent. My apologies.

new (1.20 / 5) (#107)
by Shoes for Birds on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 06:31:39 AM EST

Being new here, this shows me that you folks really take your discssion sites very seriously. This will be interesting learning how to exist among all of your serious text posting business.

Send Message...........Forward To Friend
Add To Friends............Add To Favorites
Instant Message..................Block User
Add To Group......................Rank User
we don't play games (2.00 / 5) (#149)
by debacle on Sun Jan 21, 2007 at 05:21:01 PM EST

One diary per day, or I swear to god, you will see some red texts on your screen.

It tastes sweet.
the rule is two (2.00 / 3) (#150)
by cDiss on Mon Jan 22, 2007 at 01:03:13 PM EST

and get over yourself

You cannot believe the official version of events. (2.10 / 10) (#108)
by OzJuggler on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 08:01:26 AM EST

You meanies are just keeping the loon around so you can laugh at him, I KNOWS IT.

I don't think he's ever written about anything other than coding and nukes. Anonymisation hides all of the facts of the case, leaving us with... EYEWITNESS ACCOUNTS FROM PPL ON THE INTERNETS. How reliable! Hence I'm struggling to understand why he was worth saving - or indeed how any of us plebs could determine whether he'd been wronged at all.

Hey, that's a lot of advertisements that MC has been buying... for a long time now... hmmm...

Is this a case of cronyism and corruption amongst the kuro5hin elite? Has MC been $peaking $oftly into rusty's ear, prepping him for the moment when all those party donations could be cashed in? Yes, the link is clear. The only user to have ever risen from the grave is also the biggest buyer of k5 advertising.

It's time for kuro5hin campaign finance reform!

There are also rumours that, just moments after the account was nulled, pwhysall's entire family were secretly whisked out of the country on a corporate jet, putting them beyond the investigative reach of the authorities. And if you stare hard enough at the plume of smoke rising out of the hole where MichaelCrawford's account used to be, you will see the goatse of death grinning back at you...

OzJuggler
"And I will not rest until every year families gather to spend December 25th together
at Osama's homo abortion pot and commie jizzporium." - Jon Stewart's gift to Bill O'Reilly, 7 Dec 2005.

Actually I'm not the first or only one (1.00 / 5) (#109)
by MichaelCrawford on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 08:11:23 AM EST

... to have his account restored. There is at least one other, maybe a few. My memory is hazy as to who it was though.

Michael Crawford was anonymised? (1.62 / 8) (#115)
by HollyHopDrive on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 04:04:30 PM EST

Holy moly.

I make too much sense to be on the Internet.

You're next [nt] (1.75 / 4) (#131)
by Stjck on Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 06:32:44 AM EST

OMG! (2.12 / 8) (#116)
by dissonant on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 06:17:31 PM EST

Even with a rez, he's going to lose a point of Constitution!

And in the end, (1.66 / 6) (#122)
by Kasreyn on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 07:05:11 PM EST

no one actually lost their account except the author of this story, who by now has already reincarnated I'm sure.

"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
This made FP? (1.57 / 7) (#125)
by loteck on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 08:44:31 PM EST

Comparatively speaking, I really have nothing against any of the editors or admins when the moron users of this site vote this ghettobait to FP.

idiots.
"You're in tune to the musical sound of loteck hi-fi, the musical sound that moves right round. Keep on moving ya'll." -Mylakovich
"WHAT AN ETERNAL MOBIUS STRIP OF FELLATIATIC BANALITY THIS IS." -Harry B Otch

as usual you missed the point (1.88 / 9) (#128)
by GrandWazoo on Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 11:28:00 PM EST

it was more of an in-your-face thing than anything else.

Original story plz (2.16 / 6) (#133)
by jforan on Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 10:42:38 AM EST

I don't post here much, but we need the banned story (as a comment perhaps).  And some history.  Can't have this conversation properly without it.  Sorry.  Gotta happen.  Lest K5 be taken off my list and declared facist.

Jeff

I hops to be barley workin'.

Link to story in my diary (1.75 / 4) (#141)
by MichaelCrawford on Fri Jan 19, 2007 at 02:19:00 AM EST

Here.

I do have to give the editors some credit for allowing my diary's copy to remain.

Just want to publicly add my support for Michael (1.33 / 6) (#138)
by boxed on Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 02:46:35 PM EST

...and also add a flick of a very specific finger to pwhysall for prioritizing his own little ego above doing his job here on K5.

lettttt's not (1.60 / 5) (#139)
by /dev/trash on Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 08:22:00 PM EST

and say we did k?

Updated 02/20/2004
New Site
story over (1.60 / 5) (#144)
by cDiss on Fri Jan 19, 2007 at 08:03:32 PM EST

plz to be moving to ghetto

The real tragedy (2.00 / 6) (#145)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Sat Jan 20, 2007 at 02:06:52 PM EST

Is that pwhysall still hasn't gotten laid.  :(

I'm like Jesus, only better.
Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour
Some might come to the conclusion (1.75 / 4) (#146)
by Kurosawa Nagaya on Sun Jan 21, 2007 at 02:16:47 AM EST

That pwhysall doesn't want to get laid?.... Ever...

The reason for this is simple: we're all full of shit ~ circletimessquare

An offer (none / 0) (#153)
by DK4 Bloo on Sat Jun 16, 2007 at 04:18:53 PM EST

It doesn't seem to me like anyone got laid as a result of all this, so I'm willing to take one for the team. Maybe this will dispel some latent frustration and put an end to the matter?

Let's talk