Regarding "Serpents, Serpents Everywhere"

By givemegmail111 in Meta
Wed May 21, 2008 at 01:06:10 PM EST
Tags: aquaman, comic books (all tags)

Hi guys. First of all I wanted to offer a big "Thanks!" for voting up my story. It's the first time I've ever gotten a story posted in many many tries and, Wow!, it even made the front page, sharing space with LilDebbie and Sgt. York.

Thanks guys!

That said, I have a confession to make. I didn't write "Serpents, Serpents Everywhere!". Well, I did type it and add the Wikipedia links, but I didn't write the story. It's an anonymous text piece from Aquaman #21, a comic book from 1965. Don't believe me? Check it out.

A little background for those who don't read comic books. Up until about 10 years ago, comic books had letters pages. DC comics usually had two pages of letters and Marvel comics had one page of letters and one news page called "Bullpen Bulletins". But in old old DC comics there text pages of another sort:

In the early days of comic books, one of the more intriguing aspects of comics was the presence of text pages in the midst of comics. People used to have a number of theories as to why they were there, some figured that perhaps the publishers wanted to add a bit of culture to their readers.

The truth of the matter is, to qualify for the second class bulk mailing rate (the same rate given to newspapers and magazines), periodicals were forced to include at least two pages of text.

Therefore, an amusing side effect occured. Desperate for text strips, the publishers would often print whatever was given them, which has led to some DREADFUL fiction over the years (this was Stan Lee's first work in comics, churning out text pages for Timely when still in his teens). [Comic Book Urban Legends Revealed #39]

The Aquaman comics of this era contained educational text pieces about the sea in each issue. Letters pages replaced them in Aquaman #26, but before they disappeared readers were treated to "The Color of Water", "History on the Rocks", "Power from the Seas", and "Farmers of the Sea" among others. The quality of writing was about what you would expect from a 1960's superhero comic with a 10-year old target audience.

I typed up "Serpents, Serpents Everywhere" and placed it in the queue for the same reason put any stupid thing in the queue. It amused me at the time. I expected its terribleness to be mocked mercilessly whereupon I would reveal it had already found a publisher. I never thought it would actually get voted up.

Actually, I don't think many people really read it past "Sea Serpents".

Anyway, others can speculate on what this says about the current level of kuro5hin standards. I merely wanted to apologize to Rusty for subjecting his blog to such blatant plagiarism. If you wish to strike it from the records, I will understand.

It was never my intent to deceive.

-gmgm

PS: Aquaman #21 is actually a quite good comic and is reprinted in Showcase Presents: Aquaman, Vol. 2. A thorough review is available here.

Trivia: Which of the following was not the name of an Aquaman supporting character?
o Aquawoman 20%
o Aqualad 45%
o Aquagirl 5%
o Aquababy 30%

o Kuro5hin
o my story
o many many tries
o Aquaman #21
o Check it out
o Comic Book Urban Legends Revealed #39
o Showcase Presents: Aquaman, Vol. 2
o here
o Also by givemegmail111

Regarding "Serpents, Serpents Everywhere" | 35 comments (30 topical, 5 editorial, 0 hidden)
if it was good enough for Aquaman (3.00 / 18) (#1)
by d0ink on Mon May 19, 2008 at 09:53:32 PM EST

it's good enough for k5.

copypasta admission (none / 1) (#3)
by circletimessquare on Mon May 19, 2008 at 10:12:56 PM EST

not really noble, or interesting, really

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

says "Sour Grapes Pete" (3.00 / 10) (#4)
by givemegmail111 on Mon May 19, 2008 at 10:20:08 PM EST

McDonalds: i'm lovin' it
Start your day tastefully with a Parent ]
repetitive, tiresome shit (3.00 / 4) (#5)
by sllort on Mon May 19, 2008 at 10:29:57 PM EST

only this time, the author had the decency to admit it. quite different from the norm. +1fp!
Warning: On Lawn is a documented liar.
i remember when... (none / 1) (#8)
by achievingfluidity on Tue May 20, 2008 at 12:53:24 AM EST

a story would get voted down if it was published on an offsite blog or at HuSi first.

Now we are allowing plagiarism.

ANNOY A LIBERAL USE FACTS AND LOGIC

Er (3.00 / 2) (#13)
by tetsuwan on Tue May 20, 2008 at 07:50:53 AM EST

If it's not searchable (googlable), and no-one recognizes it, what can we do?

Njal's Saga: Just like Romeo & Juliet without the romance

Yup, not in google is beyond the event horizon... (3.00 / 2) (#19)
by claes on Tue May 20, 2008 at 11:19:34 AM EST

for most intents and purposes.

for all we know (3.00 / 3) (#20)
by tetsuwan on Tue May 20, 2008 at 11:21:23 AM EST

this version is probably the first digital version of the story.

Njal's Saga: Just like Romeo & Juliet without the romance

which makes obvious the pasta-mines (3.00 / 1) (#22)
by ray eckson on Tue May 20, 2008 at 03:08:00 PM EST

wampsy: hey ray why don't you start up a site. you could call it ray5.
rusty: I gotta fix that stupid cancel bug.
booger: How's that for daring to get ray eckson all sniffy, you cow?
poopy: Not that I'm gay or anything, but for you I might make an exception.
we should draw straws (3.00 / 4) (#23)
by rhiannon on Tue May 20, 2008 at 05:09:34 PM EST

The winner gets to read through every letter section of every comic book ever printed to check for duplicates the next time someone posts a story.

-----------------------------------------
I continued to rebuff the advances... so many advances... of so many attractive women. -MC
i voted against it, but i'll vote this one up (none / 0) (#10)
by the77x42 on Tue May 20, 2008 at 02:45:14 AM EST

damn me for not being a part of the blatant destruction of this site!

"We're not here to educate. We're here to point and laugh." - creature
"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

Holy copyright infringement, Batman! (2.00 / 3) (#12)
by it certainly is on Tue May 20, 2008 at 07:13:24 AM EST

What a dastardly plan! I might have known an arch-villain was behind it!

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Godwin's law [...] is impossible to violate except with an infinitely long thread that doesn't mention nazis.

What a nerd. You read comics? (2.80 / 5) (#14)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue May 20, 2008 at 07:59:34 AM EST

_________________

I'm In LOVE!

Worse than that. (3.00 / 6) (#15)
by it certainly is on Tue May 20, 2008 at 08:51:47 AM EST

check it out

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Holy crap (none / 0) (#16)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue May 20, 2008 at 09:08:59 AM EST

_________________

I'm In LOVE!

I should really take a better picture. (3.00 / 3) (#17)
by givemegmail111 on Tue May 20, 2008 at 10:08:07 AM EST

That one is missing my Aquaman collection.

McDonalds: i'm lovin' it
Start your day tastefully with a Parent ]
This is nothing to be proud of. (3.00 / 9) (#21)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue May 20, 2008 at 02:00:10 PM EST

I'm not saying that ironically, either. You should be embarrassed.
_________________

I'm In LOVE!

Thanks, I can't unsee that nerdiness now (3.00 / 2) (#18)
by Strom Thurmond on Tue May 20, 2008 at 10:52:55 AM EST

VEGETARIAN: An Indian word meaning "lousy hunter"

More importantly, whose tit is that? (none / 0) (#24)
by Wen Jian on Tue May 20, 2008 at 05:12:10 PM EST

It was an experiment in lulz. - Rusty
HOT SNAIL SECHS !!!!!1 (none / 0) (#25)
by rpresser on Tue May 20, 2008 at 07:04:55 PM EST

------------
"In terms of both hyperbolic overreaching and eventual wrongness, the Permanent [Republican] Majority has set a new, and truly difficult to beat, standard." --rusty
It's mine. (none / 0) (#26)
by givemegmail111 on Tue May 20, 2008 at 07:49:18 PM EST

It's some Mollusk/Manboob lovin'.

McDonalds: i'm lovin' it
Start your day tastefully with a Parent ]
that's no moob... (none / 0) (#27)
by it certainly is on Wed May 21, 2008 at 04:08:32 AM EST

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Why the fuck is this on the FP (none / 0) (#28)
by ray eckson on Wed May 21, 2008 at 01:47:19 PM EST

truly, k5 IS dying

wampsy: hey ray why don't you start up a site. you could call it ray5.
rusty: I gotta fix that stupid cancel bug.
booger: How's that for daring to get ray eckson all sniffy, you cow?
poopy: Not that I'm gay or anything, but for you I might make an exception.
story #1 plagiarized, story #2 no score of 30 (2.00 / 3) (#29)
by kukulcan on Wed May 21, 2008 at 07:04:09 PM EST

so i am not sure why the last two stories got posted to FP.

The first story was admittedly plagiarized and should be removed IMHO and the latest story didnt even reach a score of 30.

It would be nice for an admin to explain this.

here's your explanation (none / 0) (#34)
by ray eckson on Thu May 22, 2008 at 02:02:20 AM EST

such as it is

wampsy: hey ray why don't you start up a site. you could call it ray5.
rusty: I gotta fix that stupid cancel bug.
booger: How's that for daring to get ray eckson all sniffy, you cow?
poopy: Not that I'm gay or anything, but for you I might make an exception.
HA! (none / 0) (#30)
by nononoitaintmebabe on Wed May 21, 2008 at 07:08:00 PM EST

that's great.
what's funny is that when i tried (although you might have noticed i goofed up) to vote it to fp, what i was thinking was "this is the goofiest thing i've read in a long time- anything this goofy should be encouraged."  and so that's why i decided that my rationale for voting it up would be that i was making it a policy to vote up anything to do with sea serpents.

but i actually never would have dreamed in a million years that it would be voted up by the rest kuronia and i actually kind of thought it was some kind of "group joke."

You are late to the game I did this first. (none / 0) (#31)
by lemonjuicefake on Wed May 21, 2008 at 10:10:01 PM EST

Damn, I used to be a real troll. (none / 0) (#32)
by lemonjuicefake on Wed May 21, 2008 at 10:11:53 PM EST

no, that was tired and weak-ass shit (none / 1) (#33)
by ray eckson on Thu May 22, 2008 at 02:00:59 AM EST

wampsy: hey ray why don't you start up a site. you could call it ray5.
rusty: I gotta fix that stupid cancel bug.
booger: How's that for daring to get ray eckson all sniffy, you cow?
poopy: Not that I'm gay or anything, but for you I might make an exception.
No, you were a prophet. (none / 0) (#35)
by alba on Sat May 24, 2008 at 06:16:53 PM EST

If K5 doesn't adopt this path or evolve in any way it will slowly die.