Towards the Reformation of a Once Great Site

By fudboy in Meta
Thu May 08, 2008 at 07:57:17 AM EST
Tags: control, authority, skateboards, crapflooding (all tags)

Kuro5hin.org sure has changed a lot over the years. When it was first fired up it promptly drained what little brain power existed at slashdot including the more intelligent slashdot trolls, which was fine by taco as they've been able to revel in half-baked ideology and presumptions ever since, with nary a challenge to spoil the party. K5 went on to produce a stimulating culture and an excellent body of work, and things were looking pretty good.

But then something odd happened. Some genuine mentally ill people appeared and started to wreck up the place. Perhaps they resented the superior intelligence of k5 discourse, or maybe they got riled up when their stupid opinions were brushed aside and deservedly ignored. Their response however was quite ferocious- aggressive and persistent vulgarity flooded the site. Any attempt by smart people to have a good conversation would be targeted and clobbered under their offensive offensive.

People are often confused as to why these vulgar and disgusting morons stayed and kept at it. What was the payoff? It is really straight forward. The idiots could win. It seemed to them that they could hurt the people that made them feel so stupid with their well formed sentences and perfectly courteous brilliance. The more they piled on the brain dead nonsense, the more rewarding seemed the exodus. Now we have a little more than Kuro5hin beaten down, nothing better than a useless wreck of stupid jokes and 'shock', with the occasional reasonable person stopping in from time to time to see if the site is still as utterly worthless as feared, and it always is. You scattered few intelligent people are my target audience here. It is to you that I write this.

Recently the site management has imposed a $5 cover to try and limit all the really miserable and pointless abuse. This might work out in the long run, however it only needs looking to metafilter to see how that degrades into an insular circle jerk of self congratulatory conceit. This effect is effected by two mechanisms: annoyance over the $5 entry fee met with a threshold for deleting comments or banning that is really very low. So you end up with a another useless, annoying site with a decent archive of material from a few years back. Clearly this is not a viable solution for K5, especially considering that it is starting the process with a cruel and stupid userbase.

There is another way. Since the real problem is letting stupid people participate in the first place, filtering them out should be the main focus of not only pruning the existing userbase but also the primary concern for admitting new members. The principle is clear, what remains is a plan to implement such a system while accomodating Trusty Rusty's unusually persistent Ideals and his indubitable incurable indolence. I have such a solution to present to you few readers still interested in restoring this once great site.

The details are simple and so I'll be brief. What is needed is a sort of 'second queue' where interested people can submit what amounts to an application for admittance. The submission will have a unique form that contains the desired username, some basic intelligence testing, an essay section and the means for the supplicant to join the discussion and asseverate their solicitation. The thing will be put to vote and the hopeful will either be in or out. Simple really.

The end result is that the existing users get to excercise some control over who gains entry, the new user has invested some time in proving their mettle and everyone has more reason to sustain the local culture. It seems clear to me that the $5 dupe tax could be dropped. Which leaves us with a bright tomorrow as the really miserable elements are finally and permanently driven away and word propagates across the world that the once glorious Kuro5hin is finally under control.

Where do you stand?
o One of the smart ones 52%
o One of the stupid ones 47%

o Slashdot
o Kuro5hin
o Kuro5hin.o rg
o slashdot
o intelligen t slashdot trolls
o fine by taco
o -
o mentally ill
o deservedly ignored
o vulgar and disgusting morons
o exodus
o stupid jokes
o metafilter
o useless, annoying site
o decent archive of material
o few years back
o once great site
o basic intelligence testing
o $5 dupe tax
o really miserable elements
o Also by fudboy

Towards the Reformation of a Once Great Site | 116 comments (106 topical, 10 editorial, 0 hidden)
TOWARDS THE DUPIFICATION OF A NEVER GREAT STORY (1.00 / 4) (#1)
by circletimessquare on Mon May 05, 2008 at 10:58:01 PM EST

dude: navel gazing

full of fail

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

give me a break (2.16 / 6) (#2)
by fudboy on Mon May 05, 2008 at 11:01:43 PM EST

you are the worst offender!

and you score one heck of a hot roffle with "full of fail"

for the win

:)Fudboy

dear little boy (1.00 / 4) (#3)
by circletimessquare on Mon May 05, 2008 at 11:24:01 PM EST

It helps to understand the true nature of your enemy to defeat him. You really don't understand what you are up against. I'm talking about your story thesis, not me

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

did you really mean to say that? (3.00 / 3) (#5)
by fudboy on Mon May 05, 2008 at 11:48:57 PM EST

'cause damn.

Prior to this exchange I had numbered you among the 'mediocre/harmless'.

Clearly I need to rethink my position on that.

Are you sure you actually read the article? You should maybe double check.

:)Fudboy

the site doesn't need "saving" (1.80 / 5) (#19)
by circletimessquare on Tue May 06, 2008 at 08:59:12 AM EST

from the likes of people who don't even understand the site

concise enough for you yet fucktard?

ROR (2.00 / 2) (#20)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue May 06, 2008 at 10:18:26 AM EST

Uh? (3.00 / 2) (#25)
by fudboy on Tue May 06, 2008 at 11:10:05 AM EST

I think you meant to say that "the site doesn't need "saving" by the likes of people who..."

God damn you are such a stupid fucker.

:)Fudboy

was the grammar nazi turn an attempt at humor? (1.00 / 3) (#28)
by circletimessquare on Tue May 06, 2008 at 11:34:13 AM EST

or, more unbelievably, that was a serious comment?

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

well, that 's not a fair characterization (3.00 / 2) (#47)
by fudboy on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:54:28 PM EST

The funny comes from your cock-up. Pointing it out is a sort of 'punch line' I guess.

But seriously. Something has to be done about you jerks.

:)Fudboy

that was unintelligible (1.00 / 3) (#50)
by circletimessquare on Tue May 06, 2008 at 02:14:04 PM EST

all i see is a little frustrated man with an inflated sense of worth here

here, let me correct you on the reality of my worth here and your worth here:

any questions there little boy? there there, such a cute little wanna be petty dictator. run along now

no one called the police except you, and the police you called was yourself, self-appointed. that's a nice little circular reference doncha think darling? ;-)

xoxoxoxoxox

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

oh so weak (2.00 / 3) (#53)
by fudboy on Tue May 06, 2008 at 02:50:39 PM EST

cts. let me give you a little bit of a hint:

This is an extra account. Even my junk dupe accounts predate your arrival.

I've dusted it off specifically so that I can address the issues without getting my main account 'muddy'.

You should be well on your way to figuring out how to attack me about that, but you are still on your faggy kick calling me 'little boy' and 'darling'.

And your tactic with calling me a fascist? more idiocy! All I've done is express my opinion of the crap culture you lot have arranged and a good way to fix it with genuine democratic deliberation.

The stupidity with you just never seems to stop.

protip (1.80 / 5) (#57)
by circletimessquare on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:34:26 PM EST

deep in a thread with me, is doing the same thing as me

meaning, whatever behavior of mine you are criticizing, you are indulging in at the same time

second protip: i have one account, and have always had one account, because i am not ashamed of anything i do, i have nothing to "hide" or "muddy". dupe accounts are for the weak, who are ashamed of an aspect of their behavior they need to try to distance themselves from

be proud of yourself man, don't hide like a little bitch ;-) xoxoxoxox

Awesome (3.00 / 9) (#4)
by rusty on Mon May 05, 2008 at 11:31:40 PM EST

I too remember Adequacy fondly. Lord, just the other day I ran across some TechTV clip where they read "Is Your Son a Computer Hacker". It was, I can say without fear of contradiction, epic win.

Also, "indubitable incurable indolence." Well said.

____
Not the real rusty

Thank you for all the kind words. (none / 1) (#6)
by fudboy on Mon May 05, 2008 at 11:50:48 PM EST

I sure hope that the references to adequacy.org doesn't distract from the central message of my essay.

:)Fudboy

I don't believe it does, sir. (none / 1) (#7)
by rusty on Tue May 06, 2008 at 12:02:37 AM EST

____
Not the real rusty
Is Your Son a Computer Hacker? (2.00 / 3) (#17)
by wiredog on Tue May 06, 2008 at 08:17:53 AM EST

Best Internet Troll Ever!

The idea of a global village is wrong, it's more like a gazillion pub bars.
Phage

Yeah (none / 1) (#109)
by gbd on Thu May 08, 2008 at 09:53:22 PM EST

I was the one who posted that TechTV clip on YouTube. We always got a big kick out of it. I mean, it's not exactly rocket science to make Martin Sargent look like an ass, but it's still fun to do.

Gunter glieben glauchen globen.
Meta Masturbation. (2.77 / 9) (#9)
by destroyallofit on Tue May 06, 2008 at 12:55:47 AM EST

I remove my pants, and rub k5's bare stomach with the mango now. It is very juicy, and k5 begins licking it's fingers.

Okay, your turn again..

I put on my robe and wizard hat (3.00 / 4) (#75)
by it certainly is on Wed May 07, 2008 at 01:52:18 PM EST

n/t

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Godwin's law [...] is impossible to violate except with an infinitely long thread that doesn't mention nazis.

MTV, VTD (2.33 / 3) (#10)
by Strom Thurmond on Tue May 06, 2008 at 12:59:32 AM EST

baaaaaaaaaarrrrrf.

VEGETARIAN: An Indian word meaning "lousy hunter"

And you linked FARK! (2.50 / 4) (#11)
by destroyallofit on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:01:00 AM EST

DID YOU ALSO TAKE THE RETARDED GIRL TO THE JUNIOR PROM BECAUSE THATS ESSENTIALLY THE OTI EQUIVALENT OF A KUROSHIT MOVIN ON UP TO THE FAILSTATE OF DREW CURTIS???

we are the dying site that talks about dying? (3.00 / 7) (#14)
by nostalgiphile on Tue May 06, 2008 at 02:39:18 AM EST

not in favor of more metawankery, but your piece is better than psychologist's. A few observations:

• cts is right--navel-gazing "how to save k5 articles" won't help the site (tried it myself, I know) grow back its lost limbs and former vitality. High-quality articles about science, tech, culture, and good fiction (there are gifted writers here) might though.

• rusty isn't going to drop the $5 fee--he really sees it as a necessary evil to stop excessive abuse.

• as I've whined before, the $5 fee wouldn't be so bad if it were combined with some amount K5 "promotion" on the webs--i.e., if it were countered by renewed participation and fresh blood. As it is, it's been totally negative, I think.

• your idea is original, but is not without problems: 1) the recent cliqueish nature of K5 (= #kuro5hin modbomb faction) inhibits fair voting on shit like this and I can see supplicants getting blocked simply because one group of assholes decided to have some "fun". 2) the time/inconvenience needed to gain acceptance/entry to the site via your proposal would likely be a bigger barrier to membership than $5 via paypal, 3) K5 needs both writers and readers, your method only encourages new writers to join. People who will make intelligent comments are crucial, but it's not like those people all want to be subjected to our often vicious queue in the first place. (God knows I didnt when I first came here). 4) I would argue that Mistress Queue (which unfortunately has lapsed into complete irrelevance lately) is the best cure for null0 stupidity. Once she slaps you around you'll either promptly go away or remain fixated on her for the rest of your life...Problem is, why don't people submit stuff to queue? User base is too timid? Too apathetic?

Basically, I like the general principle--we should be allowed to decide who gets in, or gets out--but I'm not sure how that can work, and neither are you. I.e., this is a somewhat flimsy solution tacked on at the end of your otherwise good article. Flesh out the conclusion/suggestion a bit more and I will vote this FP.

Section as-is.

"Depending on your perspective you are an optimist or a pessimist[,] and a hopeless one too." --trhurler

Thanks for the Great Feedback (3.00 / 2) (#45)
by fudboy on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:37:22 PM EST

Your points are well appreciated. I won't bore you with a point-by-point response other than to say that:

cts is probably making a good point but making it badly. Lord knows he can do better if he wants to.

and

I wanted to accomplish a couple of things with this article. Detailing the design was not one of them. That would be best served with a separate story.

:)Fudboy

Dear nostalgiphile (UID 43752), (3.00 / 2) (#84)
by User 71708 on Wed May 07, 2008 at 07:11:25 PM EST

It's great to see you back at K5.

I've missed you greatly in the brief time that has passed since the last time you left, and I'm glad to see you providing robust leadership once more to The Republic, despite the concerted and targeted efforts of the dupe hordes. As well you know, these individuals are involved in the persistent modbombing of your considered, sage providence such that they deny the wider audience your vital guidance. It stands to reason that daily - nightly - whatever the duration of their sordid consorts - they should choose confer repeatedly as to your comments, acting always together. No individual possessed of a free will could ever independently choose to 2, 1 or 0 you, why, not unless they had abandoned Reason itself!

I am somewhat troubled by allegations of rampant, thoughtless dribbling repetitive  stupidity on your behalf and trust that you will destroy your detractors with your usual attention to detail and eloquence that is the hallmark of your output regime.

Yours in abidance,
A Trolled Englishman

"Ogg Frog's not going to be like that. When it hits 1.0, it's going to be bullet-proof, rock solid and with a GUI even my mom and Aunt Peggy can use." - MichaelCrawford, June 2006

"Some folks have made the reasonable accusation that Ogg Frog is just vaporware. It's not by any means, but I don't want to release it until it's ready. Why? Because I feel that the Open Source mantra of "Release Early, Release Often" doesn't serve the needs of my end users - you!" - MichaelCrawford, August 2007

"Maybe My CPAP Is Finally Helping .. If this keeps up I'll be able to resume work on Ogg Frog soon." - MichaelCrawford, May 2008

"It's coming Real SoonTM .. However, electricity is intermittent here in Africa and Zoolib needs extending to accommodate the XO&NO CARRI" - MichaelCrawford, June 2009

lol whut? tl;dr (1.50 / 1) (#87)
by nostalgiphile on Wed May 07, 2008 at 10:29:04 PM EST

"The Sage Does Not Obsess on Other Kurons." (Why do I even bother pointing this out to the author of michael crawford fanfic?).

Also, what's an output regime, Digby?

ill suck ur dick for a k5 account (3.00 / 17) (#15)
by Jobst of Moravia on Tue May 06, 2008 at 02:48:04 AM EST

__
   .,-;-;-,. /'_\ ---Did this Negro say "Street Moor"?
 _/_/_/_|_\_\) /
'-<_><_><_><_>=\
 `/_/====/_/-'\_\
  ""     ""    ""

why the fuck (2.85 / 7) (#16)
by lonelyhobo on Tue May 06, 2008 at 05:55:36 AM EST

do so many people that "used" (I put it in quotes because they obviously have stayed and fanatically lurked--weird) this site have this goddamn messiah complex.

You're not our fucking savior and K5 doesn't need saving.  Get over yourself.

no messiah complex. (none / 1) (#31)
by fudboy on Tue May 06, 2008 at 11:43:27 AM EST

I'm just posting an idea on how to handle idiots.

Idiots are a fact of life, lonlyhobo, and sooner or later you have to roll up your sleeves and deal with them.

I'm not sure why you'd have a problem with that, unless you count yourself among them.

:)Fudboy

his last two diary entries are paeans to gta4 (none / 0) (#72)
by Delirium on Tue May 06, 2008 at 11:52:00 PM EST

conclude as you may

why you such a hateful nigga (none / 0) (#81)
by lonelyhobo on Wed May 07, 2008 at 06:44:11 PM EST

I'd rather post a billion GTA diaries than make a single wikipedia edit

why do you hate freedom (nt) (none / 0) (#82)
by Delirium on Wed May 07, 2008 at 06:45:24 PM EST

It's too cheap for my classy tastes. (none / 0) (#83)
by lonelyhobo on Wed May 07, 2008 at 06:47:18 PM EST

Wow, this was really great. So helpful. (2.64 / 14) (#18)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue May 06, 2008 at 08:39:53 AM EST

How is it that you mouth-breathing wankers that write this ridiculous story-format over and over and over again just don't get the fact that K5 is fine and probably as good as it ever was?

Get the point: if you want "quality" writing from "intelligent" users, go to Husi. You'll see all kinds of kinds of examples of just that type of fail you deserve for desiring such retarded content.

You know why K5 is not dying, never has been dying, has always been dying? Because it's full of people who actually DO think original thoughts from time to time. Go to Husi, see what I mean. I have honestly never read a single interesting, inspiring, useful story there. Ever. Not even one.

Go to any other site, now. If it's not boring political ranting (read: boring), it's dorky tech-crap like Slashdot. God, Slashdot is not even readable. The fan forums for Baldur's Gate are even better than that travesty of a site.

So, to this, the most recent Oh-Muh-Gawd-People-K5-Could-Be-So-Much-Betteh diatribe, I say this: go away. Go away. Never return. You are ruining it for the rest of us. You are using up valuable computer juice. Leave. Go away. Hide yourself back under whatever Niceness Is Nice rock you've crawled out from under and leave.

caveat: (3.00 / 3) (#21)
by circletimessquare on Tue May 06, 2008 at 10:43:43 AM EST

while the type of content the wanker you are responding to is taking a stand agains tis moronic, there is indeed content that must be taken a stand against

racist trolls

if they are allowed freely on the site, the site really is dead

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

The market will put them out of business (3.00 / 3) (#22)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue May 06, 2008 at 10:54:40 AM EST

See Baldrson as an example.

I'm In LOVE!

baldrson, that racist confused putz (3.00 / 4) (#23)
by circletimessquare on Tue May 06, 2008 at 11:06:25 AM EST

did actually attempt to engage intellectually. so it was actually possible to drive him away, because he actually attempted to reason with you. god bless him for that minor saving grace

but i'm talking about the low wattage dimwitted brains that spew racist ignorance and are utterly beyond salvation. they just plant their acned asses on the site, and could care less what anyone else thinks of them. baldrson actually cared, which made him therefore a slightly higher form of racist putz

but i'm talking about a form of fungal growth that can not be redeemed or driven away. it must simply be sprayed with herbicide and killed outright

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

I guess. I don't even read them because it's (3.00 / 4) (#24)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue May 06, 2008 at 11:08:07 AM EST

boring. It's too boring to troll, too boring to read and too boring to think about. I literally forget them each time it happens and only remember that it did happen when someone reminds me of it later.

exactly (3.00 / 3) (#27)
by circletimessquare on Tue May 06, 2008 at 11:33:16 AM EST

but for other minds, its a stink bomb effect. noxious low iq racism drives people away

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

I'm glad to see we can agree on something (none / 1) (#29)
by fudboy on Tue May 06, 2008 at 11:39:00 AM EST

You are almost spot on, it's only wanting that you cast your net a bit wider and include 'scat' and those vulgar posts crafted just to destroy the discussions.

This site lives and dies by the quality of the discussions.

:)Fudboy

Maybe you could go back to your Emily Post world (none / 1) (#30)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue May 06, 2008 at 11:42:29 AM EST

and stay there.

I'm In LOVE!

That's just the thing (none / 1) (#32)
by fudboy on Tue May 06, 2008 at 11:51:30 AM EST

This was a decent place to have good discussions about interesting topics, just a few short years ago. One of the best that's ever been, in fact. You should have a glance at the archive to see what I mean.

I guess you could say that by posting this story I am returning to my Emily Post world. Just look at what you revolting morons have done to the place!

:)Fudboy

I've been here since 2002 (none / 0) (#36)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue May 06, 2008 at 12:23:48 PM EST

It's the same level of conversation it always has been. It actually got better when all you Husiites left. Feel free to return from whence ye came.

I'm In LOVE!

You fool! (none / 1) (#41)
by fudboy on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:23:13 PM EST

I am no husi juicy. I even go so far as to communicate my contempt for their milquetoast weenie-roast in my story.

That it's lost on you is the problem :(

:)Fudboy

No, you'd fit right in. (none / 1) (#43)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:31:37 PM EST

You should go there.

I'm In LOVE!

You're just afraid (none / 0) (#74)
by Ward57 on Wed May 07, 2008 at 01:37:23 PM EST

that you'll read something that might be meaningfull to you here.

agreed 100%, the site lives and dies (none / 1) (#33)
by circletimessquare on Tue May 06, 2008 at 11:53:19 AM EST

by the quality of its discussions

but the issue here is how fucking retarded your definition of "quality" is

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

You can be sure (none / 1) (#42)
by fudboy on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:24:53 PM EST

that my definition of quality exceeds the sheer retardatry of using the word retarded in such a retardedly ironic manner.

:)Fudboy

oh i get it (none / 1) (#44)
by circletimessquare on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:33:19 PM EST

you wallow in the mud, but you aren't muddy

darling, look around you. you're playing this game, you are not above it

a toast, to your future self-awareness, may you some day acquire it

xoxoxoxoxoxox

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Great! So we are agreed (none / 1) (#46)
by fudboy on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:52:06 PM EST

You people have made this a disgusting, filthy mud pit.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm not muddy. I've bravely waded in to try and smack some sense into you fools.

Watching the lot of you fumble around with a way to insult me makes it difficult to imagine that I'm the one in need of self-awareness.

What I've said stands. This place is a disaster. The only people that disagree are the ones that ruined it.

So about ten of you have driven away the hundreds that used to enjoy the place. It seems a good idea to craft a system to drive you out and keep you away. Your sense of ownership is a sham and you are not welcome.

:)Fudboy

No one said this wasn't a 'mudpit' or whatever (2.00 / 2) (#48)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue May 06, 2008 at 02:05:43 PM EST

retarded definition you want to use. Just that it's good that it's a mudpit. That's how it should stay, too. Go away. Never come back. You are obviously boring.

I'm In LOVE!

how have i ruined it? (2.50 / 2) (#49)
by circletimessquare on Tue May 06, 2008 at 02:10:56 PM EST

i see a discrepancy there, and it points to me as valued member of a community, and you as empty troll

all i see is a little child, who decided to appoint himself police, and come dictate to everyone else how to behave

so despite your illusions of power and grandeur here, we don't really have any need for you

go little petty dictator, go find some other little hill to stand on and proclaim how things should be

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Can you two just mud wrestle for it? (none / 0) (#113)
by rhdntd on Tue May 13, 2008 at 02:33:10 PM EST

Seems like it would be better than another meta story.  Although I agree now that it's not quite as good as it used to be.

Maybe I should pop my eight year old submission cherry instead of commenting on meta stories if I'm going to complain about them.  Nah.

"book chicks really seem to like anal"
  — Lady 3Jane

yeah (none / 0) (#110)
by loteck on Fri May 09, 2008 at 03:28:06 PM EST

actually reading so that you might have a clue as to what you are talking about has never been your strong point, failfuck.
"You're in tune to the musical sound of loteck hi-fi, the musical sound that moves right round. Keep on moving ya'll." -Mylakovich
"WHAT AN ETERNAL MOBIUS STRIP OF FELLATIATIC BANALITY THIS IS." -Harry B Otch

hay did U know! (2.00 / 2) (#26)
by fudboy on Tue May 06, 2008 at 11:21:50 AM EST

this site is not 'fine and probably as good as it ever was'. In fact, that is the stupidest thing I've read all week. The site is worn down to around ten users that jerk each other off in the diary section.

you seem to continue in this moronic vein, so I gave up trying to untangle the mess. sigh.

:)Fudboy

Well, you're not making it better (2.50 / 2) (#34)
by Vampire Zombie Abu Musab al Zarqawi on Tue May 06, 2008 at 11:57:30 AM EST

I was hoping for some quality in your text, at least a decent link to somewhere, but this shtik is done better, several times every year, in the diary section. And even then it's merely copypasta.

Truth is, this "article" of yours is less interesting, less original and less well done than even the most useless meme, so you might just as well fuck off back to Husi, where people like you seem to belong.

Amen, brother (2.00 / 2) (#37)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue May 06, 2008 at 12:25:21 PM EST

Should we being jerking each other off now, or do it later?

I'm In LOVE!

got my dick out right here (2.00 / 2) (#39)
by Vampire Zombie Abu Musab al Zarqawi on Tue May 06, 2008 at 12:29:54 PM EST

unf unf unf unf

HIGH FIVE!!!! (2.50 / 4) (#40)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue May 06, 2008 at 12:31:57 PM EST

I'm In LOVE!

You're just thinking of a different site, that's (2.00 / 2) (#38)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue May 06, 2008 at 12:26:42 PM EST

all. I think you've mistaken K5 for The Knot Forums or something. Go there. Check it out. You'll see what I mean.

I'm In LOVE!

K5's not dying (3.00 / 2) (#51)
by Sgt York on Tue May 06, 2008 at 02:38:35 PM EST

But it's sure in a recession or something. It's not as good as it was a few years ago. Political stuff? Comedy gold. Tech stuff? Nerd fodder.

I love seeing people blow up at each other. I like the debates. I like getting in on it, myself. No holds barred. Crude examples are a bonus. Insult to your hearts content while at the same time avoiding ad hominem. Good shit.

I miss the discussions I had with people like Baldrson and mindpixel. I used to get in one with someone once every couple of weeks or so, and the thread would last way past the time the story or diary was off the FP. I'd stroll through my old diaries and find people farting off about some minor point in the diary for months after its posting. I just don't see that anymore. I've had maybe one good, lasting (read: memorable) discussion here in the past 3-4 months, and that one tapered off far too quickly.

I don't know why, but it just seems kind of bland and repetitious lately.

Too much fucking poetry, for one thing.

There is a reason for everything. Sometimes, that reason just sucks.

I think most of us have become wise to (2.00 / 2) (#52)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue May 06, 2008 at 02:48:56 PM EST

each other, though, too. That's part of it. I just don't have the motivation to bother most of the time. It's not interesting in the same way it was before, so I don't bother. I think most people are the same that way.

I mean, how many topics can we possibly talk about? We've covered most things and when someone brings something up that might be new most people jump in if they have the energy.

However, these constant diatribes about the Golden Days of K5 are moronic. It never existed except in the minds of a few 1980's, CyberPunk, BoingBoing addicts who are presently awaiting their first Social Security checks.

And we all know where they went...

As for poetry, it's our last hope: either it will enlighten us or cause us to implode. Either way, it's clearly the direction the cool kids are heading in.

I'm In LOVE!

Hiphopopotamus: the voice of Youth (none / 1) (#54)
by fudboy on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:02:40 PM EST

"It's not interesting in the same way it was before"

You are just too stupid to believe. Henceforth, I will assume that you are faking the stupidity for comedic effect.

The thing that really makes me feel icky? that you lifted your nick  off a mediocre tevision sitcom. utter crap.

I'm afraid you just lost your attention privileges.

:)Fudboy

Dude, this is such a boring troll (none / 1) (#67)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue May 06, 2008 at 07:20:11 PM EST

Go back to Husi already.

I'm In LOVE!

Yeah, Husi (3.00 / 2) (#55)
by Sgt York on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:16:10 PM EST

Yeah, you eventually run out of things to talk about, right?

Jeez, your wife must love that. Shit, there are people I've known for decades, and we can still have a lively debate.

There is a reason for everything. Sometimes, that reason just sucks.

Uhh, yeah, but see none of us here actually (none / 1) (#66)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue May 06, 2008 at 07:19:47 PM EST

know each other. So, that creates a problem as opposed to real life people.

I'm In LOVE!

Recession? (none / 0) (#108)
by NoMoreNicksLeft on Thu May 08, 2008 at 08:20:32 PM EST

Um, I'm not sure what's going on here, but on the slowdown-recession-depression-panic scale, K5 is off the charts. Maybe in the "Peak Oil as Fermi Paradox Solution" area, if I can stretch the metaphor that far.

Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
the sky is falling (none / 0) (#70)
by eavier on Tue May 06, 2008 at 09:18:29 PM EST

i just 3'd one of your comments egil

Whatever you do, don't take it into your house. It's probably full of Greeks. - Vampire Zombie Abu Musab al Zarqawi

Ufology Doktor in da house

it's Nice to be namechecked (3.00 / 2) (#78)
by User 71708 on Wed May 07, 2008 at 05:02:19 PM EST

whut is that? (none / 0) (#88)
by Hiphopopotamus on Thu May 08, 2008 at 06:59:41 AM EST

I'm In LOVE!

2005 was a good year? (nt) (none / 0) (#56)
by GhostOfTiber on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:32:55 PM EST

[Nimey's] wife's ass is my cocksheath. - undermyne

Stage four has arrived! (3.00 / 6) (#59)
by sllort on Tue May 06, 2008 at 04:01:24 PM EST

The Search for the Guilty is over with, now we can commence with the Slaughter of the Innocent.

Oh, Goody!

+1FP!!!
Warning: On Lawn is a documented liar.

Film at 11 etc (2.42 / 7) (#60)
by ksandstr on Tue May 06, 2008 at 04:54:59 PM EST

This has been done to death, and then its slowly rotting corpse was done a few times for good measure. When the state of rot advanced and the maggots turned up, those who preferred not to participate in the doing to death suddenly expressed their desires to execute certain copulatory maneuvers on it. Some of them fondly remember the grease stain and the genital infection.

So can we drop this finally? K5 is not dying, just as a cyclist is not actually falling over despite the whole idea of two-wheel balance relying on perpetually "falling" to one side. There's no parts falling off K5 (to our knowledge). Well, besides perhaps some loose nuts and bolts in rusty's upper brain compartment and that's a matter of opinion and a factor that's been in a continual state of flux since K5's birth!

This site isn't carved on slabs of fucking marble you know. The K5 of yesterday isn't here any more (except in the Unsearchable Archives, where a Potent form of Doom is said to Lurk), just like the turn of the century dotcom bubble isn't here anymore. But you know what? We didn't have bee guy or mybostinks or Poopy or MMM or the trolling-and-overland-shipping underground back then either. Drop the nostalgia and move on already, you double nigger.

Also most of your linkage is non-sequitorial. Therefore I voted 0, abstain; I don't care about this shit enough to vote it down either.

JA I AM MADE OF DUR GHETTUR UND YOU ARE WORTH 0.005K MONIES

+1FP (3.00 / 3) (#64)
by daveybaby on Tue May 06, 2008 at 06:26:29 PM EST

Because this second queue idea of yours would be sure to provide plenty of opportunity for vileness and vulgarity.

your era has passed. (2.75 / 4) (#65)
by lostincali on Tue May 06, 2008 at 07:19:09 PM EST

"The least busy day [at McDonalds] is Monday, and then sales increase throughout the week, I guess as enthusiasm for life dwindles."

+1 fp (3.00 / 7) (#68)
by circletimessquare on Tue May 06, 2008 at 07:35:40 PM EST

high quality posts

...completely ironic, since my definition of quality is far different form the author's, and yet quality discussions is what the author is after

doubly ironic because the author, below his story, is engaging in the same "low quality" posts he rails against in his story above

irony detection meter asplode

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

my hat is off to you (3.00 / 2) (#69)
by fudboy on Tue May 06, 2008 at 09:01:43 PM EST

it takes a solid sort of person to keep it all straight.

thanks for your support.

:)Fudboy

thanks turmeric (none / 0) (#71)
by circletimessquare on Tue May 06, 2008 at 11:19:59 PM EST

Wrong (none / 1) (#91)
by rusty on Thu May 08, 2008 at 11:13:21 AM EST

____
Not the real rusty
hulver, then. you should be embarrassed (none / 0) (#92)
by Hiphopopotamus on Thu May 08, 2008 at 11:17:40 AM EST

Nope (none / 0) (#94)
by rusty on Thu May 08, 2008 at 11:19:40 AM EST

C'mon, you people should be able to get this one. It's pretty damn transparent.

____
Not the real rusty
kitten or Jason?!?! (none / 0) (#95)
by Hiphopopotamus on Thu May 08, 2008 at 11:23:00 AM EST

I don't even care. Why am I playing your silly game? I hope your island is taken out in a Global-Warming Related Flood this afternoon.

Jesus (3.00 / 5) (#97)
by rusty on Thu May 08, 2008 at 12:06:28 PM EST

You should off yourself now.

____
Not the real rusty
If I did that, (none / 0) (#98)
by Hiphopopotamus on Thu May 08, 2008 at 12:54:11 PM EST

no one would provide you with content.

And (3.00 / 11) (#99)
by rusty on Thu May 08, 2008 at 01:02:47 PM EST

If I shot my dog, no one would provide me with dogshit either. I'm afraid that's not a strong argument.

____
Not the real rusty
Why can't you quit me? (none / 0) (#100)
by Hiphopopotamus on Thu May 08, 2008 at 01:12:19 PM EST

I'm In LOVE!

I'm not you... (3.00 / 2) (#101)
by rusty on Thu May 08, 2008 at 01:37:38 PM EST

I can't make it on a coupla high-altitude fucks once or twice a year! You are too much for me, you sonofawhoreson bitch! I wish I knew how to quit you.

____
Not the real rusty
Hot. I'll just have to sit at my desk here..... (none / 0) (#102)
by Hiphopopotamus on Thu May 08, 2008 at 01:43:57 PM EST

Oh....for at least a couple more minutes.

Why, oh, why did I wear these billowy sweatpants in an office full of women?

I'm In LOVE!

fucking owned (3.00 / 2) (#103)
by ray eckson on Thu May 08, 2008 at 04:25:36 PM EST

by rusty no less.

egil, you should kill yourself in shame.

wampsy: hey ray why don't you start up a site. you could call it ray5.
rusty: I gotta fix that stupid cancel bug.
booger: How's that for daring to get ray eckson all sniffy, you cow?
poopy: Not that I'm gay or anything, but for you I might make an exception.

it's jesus!!!????? (none / 1) (#106)
by circletimessquare on Thu May 08, 2008 at 05:03:59 PM EST

jesus is posting on k5????????????????

PRAISE THE LORD

JESUS HAS BEEN REBORN AS AN INTERNET TROLL

OH LAWD

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

shot in the dark, mr. unitedfools (none / 0) (#105)
by circletimessquare on Thu May 08, 2008 at 05:03:01 PM EST

DAMMIT (none / 0) (#73)
by Sgt York on Wed May 07, 2008 at 10:42:02 AM EST

IAWTP.

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckFUCK

There is a reason for everything. Sometimes, that reason just sucks.

If this piece of crap gets voted up, I'm going to (3.00 / 3) (#76)
by Hiphopopotamus on Wed May 07, 2008 at 02:20:04 PM EST

anon at least 10 K5'ers in response. See what happens, bitches.

I'm In LOVE!

+1fp from me (none / 0) (#80)
by blackbart on Wed May 07, 2008 at 05:56:16 PM EST

anon away

"I use this dupe for modbombing and impersonating a highly paid government worker"
- army of phred

You shall be the first to die at my hand (none / 0) (#85)
by Hiphopopotamus on Wed May 07, 2008 at 08:59:45 PM EST

I'm In LOVE!

OH! OH! ME FIRST! ME FIRST! -rn (none / 0) (#89)
by Sgt York on Thu May 08, 2008 at 10:31:11 AM EST

There is a reason for everything. Sometimes, that reason just sucks.

Expect it (none / 0) (#90)
by Hiphopopotamus on Thu May 08, 2008 at 10:45:12 AM EST

I'm In LOVE!

suck a dick, egil (none / 0) (#104)
by ray eckson on Thu May 08, 2008 at 04:34:52 PM EST

do me first.

wampsy: hey ray why don't you start up a site. you could call it ray5.
rusty: I gotta fix that stupid cancel bug.
booger: How's that for daring to get ray eckson all sniffy, you cow?
poopy: Not that I'm gay or anything, but for you I might make an exception.
Take a number, horn-dog (none / 0) (#107)
by Hiphopopotamus on Thu May 08, 2008 at 06:03:36 PM EST

I'm In LOVE!

This sucks (2.00 / 2) (#77)
by rachsumat on Wed May 07, 2008 at 03:31:57 PM EST

This really sucks. Go back to slashdot fucker.
"Be the wire. Shhhh. Wires don't talk..."
Let us join together, brother (none / 0) (#86)
by Hiphopopotamus on Wed May 07, 2008 at 09:00:28 PM EST

I'm In LOVE!

good idea - make the dupes work out a decent (none / 0) (#79)
by mrbastard on Wed May 07, 2008 at 05:22:13 PM EST

character at least...

"ohmygod I have a boyfriend" - Wen Jian

Prepare Ye For The Coming Storm (none / 0) (#93)
by Hiphopopotamus on Thu May 08, 2008 at 11:18:12 AM EST

It shall Contain Muche Shit For Ye All. Of Thise I Can Only Speak Truly.

I'm In LOVE!

Because it's too long to put in my sig (none / 0) (#96)
by Hiphopopotamus on Thu May 08, 2008 at 11:30:08 AM EST

OMFG.

This is the fate that awaits us listening to this diary, even if it was written in jest. People, come to the alter of my truth. Believe in the healing power of irony and down-to-earth living. Reject the silly retardedness of bourgeois values and moronic self-obsession.

People, I beg thee!

I'm In LOVE!

Great site? HAH (none / 1) (#114)
by nanobug on Thu May 15, 2008 at 10:48:34 PM EST

Just to clarify my position, I've been a regular lurker and sometimes commentator here for almost a decade now.

This is not, has not, and never will be a 'great site'.  Participation in this website has always been a masturbatory measure that is now equal to bulletin spam on myspace and twittering.

There have been some interesting stories, and of course there has been no shortage of deep, thoughtful discussion on here.  But really, if this site disappeared tomorrow, very few people would care.  Most of you would move on to somewhere else.  Some of you really creepy people would probably cry yourselves to sleep, but the overall response would be more along the lines of flushing a dead goldfish down the toilet than having the family dog put down.

This story, and all the others about how K5 is dying and the trolls are taking over only serve as a shining example of how unimportant this website is in the wider picture.  If Rusty can't even be bothered to care for his own creation enough to actually fix things, and the collective response is nothing more than whining and yearning for the 'good ol days', thats a pretty good sign that the party is over and it's time to move on.

You and your brethren are like those people who talk at length about how special and cool the 60s were, thinking that being there made you special when really talking at length about it just makes you a tool.

Get over it.

baby steps (none / 0) (#115)
by fudboy on Sun May 18, 2008 at 04:20:58 PM EST

I appreciate your attempts here, but I felt you might benefit from a bit of feedback.

Lurking for a decade and taking potshots on dead stories is not especially effective, but I encourage your participation and earnestly hope that with a bit more practice that you can craft effective flames and offer them up in an appropriate time-frame.

It's quite by chance that I noticed you comment and I'm pretty sure that everyone else still using k5 will completely miss out on it. (though egil will probably scour these comments for months yet, hoping for a chance to redeem himself from massive fail)

Here's the big spoiler: k5 is dying stories is a genre unto itself. Being aware of this and using a carefully considered scheme of confusing grammar, clumsy juxtaposition and irrelevant links, a story like this is able to deliver grave insults and draw forth surprising amounts of teh stupid in response. I left hints of this intent all over the place, and Rusty immediately called me on it with his mention of Adequacy.org. For example: the title of the story effectively condenses to the initialism T.R.O.G.S. I'll leave it to you to figure out why I thought that was funny.

So to wrap this all up, it's nice to see a lurker stretch his wings, and I hope you can profit by this schoolin'. Just try and have a bit of perspective when you read these things. K5 is a minefield of verbal hurt and extra clever cruelty.

:)Fudboy

um, no... but i'm sure it's already been said... (none / 0) (#116)
by flummox on Wed May 21, 2008 at 04:09:14 PM EST

... or you realize this is a pretty stupid idea. more than half of YOUR intended target just won't take the test. you want people to "prove themselves" or should it be prove themselves to a community that didn't have to. i didn't pay for my sub years ago and i have no intentions of ever paying for my sub here, or any place where the content is, in part, provided by me.

get over the trolls. they come and go and really have no longterm consequences.

p.s. your use of wording is very annoying and i can see you are trying to pat your own back by using them. so... should YOU have to take a test to keep your account?

p.s.s. i really wish i could impose some tests for people who use public transportation... fuck it!... let's do it for personal transit, too. but guess what? i can't do that. so what do i do? suck it up and get some headphones and sunglasses.

you need some K5 headphones and sunglasses. that is the solution here. not some obstacle course designed to weed out those not desired.

did you ever consider the flip to your coin? a bunch of smug people all bitching and moaning because they "passed a test" to get here and "paid their dues"... great. so now i have to listen to that in every tirade!

awesome...

and in honor of the late 80's and early 90's... not.

"do you like it?? my butthole??"
- Cap'n Flummox