Trailer Trash Summer Reading: the best FP stories of 2007

By mybostinks in Meta
Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 03:28:00 AM EST
Tags: trailer trash, white trash, toilet training, facebook, iphone, xenophobia, 2008 summer olympics, Massive Multi Link Propagation (all tags)

OK I am bored this weekend and decided to update THE NOW FOREVER DEAD KO4TING WEBSITE.

Weekends @ Kuro5hin are almost as dead as Ko4ting. If you are bored this weekend too and care to do some Summer reading, go through the following FP stories of 2007. I would post a poll but there were 45 FP stories in 2007 and the poll does not have that many choices to make.

I will post in the ghetto the WINNARS after the story dumps (I would cancel at some point but you know how that goes).

Pick your favorite(s) below (with extreme prejudice) by making a comment with the title in the subject line. Copy and Paste if you're too lazy or not. So to jog your memory here they are starting with the last story of 2007 and ending with the first story of 2007:

The President's Penis
The intellectual impact of kuro5hin.org
A Financial Perspective on DRM
12 Things I Learned from TV Court Shows
Finnish School Shooting 7/11 - Translation of Sturmgeist's Manifesto
In Peace
Kiva: The Power of Small
GWU Student Trolls Whole University, Mainstream Media
For the Freelance Assassination of the Burmese Generals
FUN WITH FRUIT
China supporting Myanmar's violent crackdown on monks?
k5 is alive
Observations on Dove Hunting
The Shadow of the Great Depression
Ask Kuro5hin: What Is BitTorrent?
K5 Becomes "Gated Dysfunctional Community"
BREAKING NEWS - Welcome to K5, the pay site
A Review of Pimp: The Story of My Life by Iceberg Slim
The Fight Against Spam
Kuro5hin Chopper: Everything Must Come to an End
Canadian cops corrupt? Quebec cops caught causing chaos
Book Review: From Narnia to a Space Odyssey
Breaking News: Broken Bridges
Polar Opposites
FOR YOUR INFORMATION: A GUIDE TO ANONYMIZATION
7568
Whither Mozilla?
Tremor
The Great Modern Glucose Poisoning Epidemic
If We Taught English the Way We Teach Mathematics...
The Democratic Cannibals
Constitutional Crisis In A Nuclear State
Is death a human right?
China's Nuclear Threat, or How I Learned to Love the Bomb and STFU
Community Doesn't Scale: Why k5 Is Perpetually Dying
Who Will be the Big Losers When the Internet Revolutionizes Television?
I Confess: Cineplex Drove Me to Piracy
The Declining Quality of Mathematics Education in the US
Momofuku Ando, 1910-2007
Let's All Get MichaelCrawford His Account Back
Die in a Fire
K5 2006: The Year In Review
Another Dead Dictator

o Kuro5hin
o THE NOW FOREVER DEAD KO4TING WEBSITE
o The President's Penis
o The intellectual impact of kuro5hin.org
o RogueLulz, Part I: Drawing the Map, Walking Around, Basic Monsters and Attacking.
o A Financial Perspective on DRM
o 12 Things I Learned from TV Court Shows
o Finnish School Shooting 7/11 - Translation of Sturmgeist's Manifesto
o In Peace
o Kiva: The Power of Small
o GWU Student Trolls Whole University, Mainstream Media
o For the Freelance Assassination of the Burmese Generals
o FUN WITH FRUIT
o China supporting Myanmar's violent crackdown on monks?
o k5 is alive
o Observatio ns on Dove Hunting
o The Shadow of the Great Depression
o Ask Kuro5hin: What Is BitTorrent?
o K5 Becomes "Gated Dysfunctional Community"
o BREAKING NEWS - Welcome to K5, the pay site
o A Review of Pimp: The Story of My Life by Iceberg Slim
o The Fight Against Spam
o Kuro5hin Chopper: Everything Must Come to an End
o Canadian cops corrupt? Quebec cops caught causing chaos
o Everything I need to know about Illegal Immigration I learned from Eight Legged Freaks
o Book Review: From Narnia to a Space Odyssey
o Breaking News: Broken Bridges
o Polar Opposites
o FOR YOUR INFORMATION: A GUIDE TO ANONYMIZATION
o 7568
o Whither Mozilla?
o Tremor
o The Great Modern Glucose Poisoning Epidemic
o If We Taught English the Way We Teach Mathematics...
o The Democratic Cannibals
o Constituti onal Crisis In A Nuclear State
o Is death a human right?
o China's Nuclear Threat, or How I Learned to Love the Bomb and STFU
o Community Doesn't Scale: Why k5 Is Perpetually Dying
o Who Will be the Big Losers When the Internet Revolutionizes Television?
o I Confess: Cineplex Drove Me to Piracy
o The Declining Quality of Mathematics Education in the US
o Momofuku Ando, 1910-2007
o Let's All Get MichaelCrawford His Account Back
o Die in a Fire
o K5 2006: The Year In Review
o Another Dead Dictator
o Also by mybostinks

Trailer Trash Summer Reading: the best FP stories of 2007 | 24 comments (20 topical, 4 editorial, 0 hidden)
One of my favorites for (none / 1) (#3)
by mybostinks on Fri Jul 18, 2008 at 08:11:16 PM EST

2007 (and there are a couple others) has to be Sgt. York's 7568.

It also wins the shortest K5 title category ever.

myself, I'll be busy this weekend (3.00 / 2) (#4)
by nostalgiphile on Fri Jul 18, 2008 at 10:31:46 PM EST

drinking bad whisky and searching for my lost umbrella, but I'm glad you threw this together, terry--esp. since it's beginning to look like there will never again be a new FP article...Hobo-wine is where it all ended.

"Depending on your perspective you are an optimist or a pessimist[,] and a hopeless one too." --trhurler
you know (3.00 / 2) (#5)
by mybostinks on Fri Jul 18, 2008 at 10:35:09 PM EST

maybe it is appropriate that Hobo wine will be the last FP story. There has to be some irony in that.

like maybe we're all just stowaways on this train, (3.00 / 3) (#6)
by nostalgiphile on Fri Jul 18, 2008 at 10:43:19 PM EST

clutching at the hoes between our legs and trying to figure out where to jump off? Pass me that bottle, brother.

yeah dude (3.00 / 2) (#8)
by mybostinks on Fri Jul 18, 2008 at 10:56:25 PM EST

...I've been sluggin rye whiskey all evening, sniffing drainpipes and sitting in the rain.

sniffing drainpipes (none / 1) (#15)
by rhiannon on Sat Jul 19, 2008 at 11:49:13 PM EST

That sounds like something I would enjoy, tell me more.

-----------------------------------------
I continued to rebuff the advances... so many advances... of so many attractive women. -MC
....and (none / 1) (#16)
by mybostinks on Sun Jul 20, 2008 at 12:56:49 AM EST

reciting the alphabet.

From Desolation Row - Bob Dylan

Einstein, disguised as Robin Hood
With his memories in a trunk
Passed this way an hour ago
With his friend, a jealous monk
He looked so immaculately frightful
As he bummed a cigarette
Then he went off sniffing drainpipes
And reciting the alphabet

Now you would not think to look at him
But he was famous long ago
For playing the electric violin
On Desolation Row

I should have added (3.00 / 2) (#18)
by mybostinks on Sun Jul 20, 2008 at 01:11:12 AM EST

this

WOW!! Loved this addition! (none / 1) (#19)
by dakini on Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 04:10:21 AM EST

Of course one of my fav Bob Dylan's. A real close friend of mine, sent me that song long ago, and I play it often as it brings back some sweet memories. Again, thanks greatly for the link!

" May your vision be clear, your heart strong, and may you always follow your dreams."
+1 fp (3.00 / 2) (#7)
by circletimessquare on Fri Jul 18, 2008 at 10:46:31 PM EST

links to my story

its all about me, me, me

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Yes (3.00 / 2) (#9)
by mybostinks on Fri Jul 18, 2008 at 11:09:59 PM EST

"Freelance Assassination..." was one of my favorites.

same here (nt) (3.00 / 2) (#10)
by khallow on Sat Jul 19, 2008 at 05:52:59 AM EST

Stating the obvious since 1969.

My opinion is the most important, as such: (3.00 / 5) (#13)
by anaesthetica on Sat Jul 19, 2008 at 05:52:45 PM EST

The intellectual impact of kuro5hin.org deserves recognition.  Did good work in emphasizing all the things that others found significant in our site, and sets a high standard for future content.

In Peace is also significant.  Just as in 2006 we lost Mindpixel, in 2007 we lost trhurler who was one of the most recognizable and significant personalities here.

Whither Mozilla? is simply 100% brilliant writing and analysis by someone who clearly possesses extraordinary levels of insight.  It exemplifies the paragon of what k5 is all about.  A++++ would read again.

If We Taught English the Way We Teach Mathematics... is just plain fascinating and spurred significant conversation.

Community Doesn't Scale: Why k5 Is Perpetually Dying was likewise intellectually fascinating and provoked good discussion.

—I'm the little engine that didn't.
k5: our trolls go to eleven
[A]S FAR AS A PERSON'S ACTIONS ARE CONCERNED, IT IS NOT TRUE THAT NOTHING BUT GOOD COMES FROM GOOD AND NOTHING BUT EVIL COMES FROM EVIL, BUT RATHER QUITE FREQUENTLY THE OPPOSITE IS THE CASE. ANYONE WHO DOES NOT REALIZE THIS IS IN FACT A MERE CHILD IN POLITICAL MATTERS. max weber, politics as a vocation

Excellent choices (none / 0) (#14)
by mybostinks on Sat Jul 19, 2008 at 06:02:05 PM EST

I will include those for the final poll.

Story Submission Rubric (Version 0.2) (3.00 / 4) (#17)
by QuantumFoam on Sun Jul 20, 2008 at 12:58:06 AM EST

Section I: I have rated your story submission as  ()+1FP  (√)+1SP  ()0  ()-1  due to one or a combination of the following:

( ) Spam
( ) Retarded conspiracy theories
( ) Retarded political theories
( ) Ron Paul
(√) circletimessquare
( ) Holocaust denial
( ) Egil
( ) Nullo
( ) Insightful analysis
(√) Apathy
( ) Amusing
(√) Unamusing
(√) Not the least bit interesting
( ) Bees
( ) Shit I actually haven't seen before 1,000 times
( ) Copypasta
( ) Way too long
(√) Navel-gazing idiocy
( ) Bad references
( ) NMC, Y'all
(√) Lack of Pole

Section II: Suggested remedies to your problemns include:

( ) Husi 8---->0
( ) Therapy
( ) Suicide (See Section IIa)
(√) Drugs

( ) Autoerotic asphyxiation
( ) Drowning in diarrhea
( ) Plane accident
( ) Evisceration
( ) Atmospheric decompression
( ) AIDS

- Barack Obama: Because it will work this time. Honest!

Good to see you bored! Not bored (none / 0) (#20)
by dakini on Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 04:13:13 AM EST

enough to walk away from the puter tho, eh? I like this list of stories. Maybe there will be a revival of the queue. Would be nice to see.

There are not diaries by me in there so it sucks (none / 0) (#21)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue Jul 22, 2008 at 11:38:13 AM EST

Unrepresentative of the sites actual traffic. Kind of like showing the Dirty South without showing any Blacks, you racist bastard.
_________________

I'm In LOVE!

Can't wait for the 2008 edition. (3.00 / 2) (#22)
by daveybaby on Tue Jul 22, 2008 at 05:37:56 PM EST

um... good luck with that.

DIAF (the story) $ (none / 1) (#23)
by HackerCracker on Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 08:36:19 PM EST

if you haven't already (none / 0) (#24)
by mybostinks on Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 10:32:38 PM EST

go vote here in the poll.