An Appeal To Anyone Who Will Listen

By Korean Loller Blader in Meta
Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 06:12:55 AM EST
Tags: meta (all tags)

K5 has lasted longer than the vast majority of sites on the internet that are not corporately funded or those stupid blogs that no one reads that someone with some sort of medicated complex keeps up for no logical reason.

My appeal to you is to make a new, better Scoop, or Scoop-like site that doesn't suck.

What's good about Scoop is that it's slick enough to just do what it's designed to do without all the BS involved with needing so many ads and all that. It's fast enough and simple enough. Also, it's not entirely ugly, though it could use a proper upgrade.

What's bad is that the philosophical differences between douche-bag 1980's people who thought Matty B. in War Games was the ultimate rad doood and that Intelligent Discourse is Just So Great and who also brew their own beer and make their own wine and honey and etc. etc. etc. is just so vast it's maddeningly sad. Who are these morons and why do they get to be in charge of the internet. Living comfortably and distainingly off the wealth of a society you hate is just so old and cliche that it's time to change all that and people who aren't subject to that past find your fatty lives sad.

Cain't one of you jerks make a proper site where actual, unfettered speech is possible? The whole "Ooooh, that's a troll!!!!" idea is blatant censorship and that's why the Douchebag Site is losing traffic steadily, even after all their dedicated auto-eroticators have perfected the art of pre-web 2.0 Tweeting on their own site.

I'm not saying I know how to do it or make it better. I'm just saying it's all wrong now. It hasn't been going downhill, really, just suffocated. Mostly because of the Luddite $5 thing and I don't think anyone has proffered from it, Ruston included. It has only slowed traffic and creativity. Let the people go, Pharaoh. Barring that, let's make our own Egypt.

I mean, no offense, but when the fucking BEE GUY is your most respected writer you are fucking sunk. He writes shit for trade journals about fucking bees. BEES. Is he more successful than other writers here? NO. Is he a better writer? NO. He's doing nothing outstanding. Is he completely, utterly conventional and acceptable, palatable mediocrity for those who hate the idea of having an idea challenged or refuted? YES!

And that qualifies as useful, respected discourse here. Is this the 1960's? Why are we so CONSERVATIVE here?

Please refer to any of the past histories of your various countries to see why that is utterly retarded. Contrary discourse is the essence of new thought. 'How-to' writing is a Cook Book about things other than food. It's boring and could be done just as easily in pictures. Maybe even better.

So, someone get the computer balls to actually get something going. Rusty has seriously checked out and is just waiting for this shit to fizzle so he won't have to deal with it. I used to support this site, but it's just gotten dead, in an actual sense, not the Ned Flanders sense that the Husi crowd likes to site.

If you all didn't really care that much you wouldn't log in each day.

Del, we're looking at you.

o Scoop
o stupid blogs that no one reads that someone with some sort of medicated complex keeps up for no logical reason
o Douchebag Site
o Also by Korean Loller Blader

An Appeal To Anyone Who Will Listen | 81 comments (74 topical, 7 editorial, 0 hidden)
GOOD STUFF (3.00 / 5) (#2)
by Repost To Diary If It Gets Dumped on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 05:55:25 PM EST

+1 FP (3.00 / 3) (#3)
by Vampire Zombie Abu Musab al Zarqawi on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 06:00:48 PM EST

Will definitely contribute to the death of K5.

SCOOP + RSS WOULD BE DA BOMB (3.00 / 5) (#4)
by current president of the usa on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 06:05:55 PM EST

And by "da bomb" I mean slightly improved.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM WITH SCOOP AND IT HAS BEEN SAID BEFORE BY BETTER PEOPLE THAN ME: Scoop is a CMS for a community of people on the INTERNET. Communities have an upper bound on active members.

Look at digg. Is that a community? Hells no. Look at slashdot. Is that a community? Hells no.

What do you want from scoop? What do you want? There's a story voting plugin for drupal. WHAT DO YOU WANT??

NO AMOUNT OF EFFORT IS WORTH REMAKING SCOOP BECAUSE THERE'S A LIMIT ON THE BENEFIT. THAT'S WHY RUSTY DECIDED TO STOP BEING AN ENGINEER AND HE NOW PROVIDES FOOD FOR HOMELESS PIGEONS IN MAINE.

Signed with a Presidential Seal

Egil wants free dupes.... (1.50 / 4) (#6)
by Del Griffith on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 06:29:33 PM EST

I don't even know what I want.

-------
I...I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. Because I'm the real article. What you see is what you get. - Me

titties? beer? (none / 0) (#13)
by LilDebbie on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 08:10:20 PM EST

titties and beer?

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

I have ready access to both @ the moment... (none / 1) (#15)
by Del Griffith on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 08:23:38 PM EST

so life is good....

And I can create all teh dupes I want on my sandbox.

-------

loled endlessly at this (none / 0) (#28)
by loteck on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 01:02:20 AM EST

one of those nights i guess
"You're in tune to the musical sound of loteck hi-fi, the musical sound that moves right round. Keep on moving ya'll." -Mylakovich
"WHAT AN ETERNAL MOBIUS STRIP OF FELLATIATIC BANALITY THIS IS." -Harry B Otch

+1 I am so tired of the UScent-ric $5 thing (2.70 / 10) (#5)
by livus on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 06:17:12 PM EST

meanwhile thanks to scoop I keep getting disturbed by non kurons at other sites suddenly being all like "+1" to each other.

Your unfettered speech idea is idealism, by the way, and if you chase it too hard you might one day be forced to confront your own complicity in your silence.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

+1 insightful - Cincinnati Bengals player Dakhani (3.00 / 4) (#9)
by The Hanged Man on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 07:21:33 PM EST

Jones did some stuff with the travel network about visiting NZ and I must say that alone pushed your fair land to the very top of my list of places to visit. Indeed, Australia is number one, but only because my relatives happen to own a winery in the Hunter Valley.

-------------

Dificile est saturam non scribere - Juvenal
come to visit, sure, just don't try to move here (3.00 / 3) (#10)
by livus on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 07:29:48 PM EST

we may have legal prostitution and gay unions but we also have some of the highest rates of skin cancer, suicide, child abuse, vasectomies, tampon use, and honey consumption per capita in the entire OECD.

P.S both Australia and NZ may troll you at the border.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

Honey Consumption? (3.00 / 3) (#12)
by xC0000005 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 07:52:56 PM EST

Why is that listed in the same list as the others?

Voice of the Hive - Beekeeping and Bees for those who don't
why, are you suggesting it's the odd one out? (none / 1) (#66)
by livus on Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 10:06:01 PM EST

what have you got against tampax?

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

LB? Ex-Giant? Dhani Jones? (none / 0) (#52)
by tweet on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 07:31:17 PM EST

Get it right.

_______________________________________________
Not everything in black and white makes sense.

-1, DEL GRIFFITH IS NOT OUR SAVIOUR $ (2.42 / 7) (#7)
by schlouse on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 07:08:03 PM EST

He could be, fuck face (1.00 / 3) (#8)
by Korean Loller Blader on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 07:14:42 PM EST

What have you done?
D'oh! I can't seem to talk to the mod_
WUT (none / 1) (#14)
by schlouse on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 08:15:52 PM EST

Like you're anything but an unemployed Canadian nigger that lives off of the backs of people that actually do something useful.

But I digress.

I've looked through the latest scoop release (actually a CVS snapshot of post 1.1.8, findable via the wayback machine), and it's borderline unusable.

IMO, it's extremely likely that the private scoop trees out there contain numerous, unpublished security fixes.  I can almost guarantee that a stock scoop 1.1.8 will be hacked in short order.

Probably the best thing would be a reimplementation of scoop in a more modern framework, or failing that, at least in a more modern dialect of perl (i.e. parameterized queries, not perl string interpolation into query strings, etc).

I actually might be willing to do it but you're not willing to let me suck on your penis ;-(

So, in your typical uneducated fashion (none / 0) (#16)
by Korean Loller Blader on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 08:37:03 PM EST

you're saying you HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO.

Yeah. That's why I asked for Del. He brings results. You bring suggestion and failure. Continually.

Also, Del is Canadian, so I guess I'm just plain racist here....
D'oh! I can't seem to talk to the mod_

No (2.00 / 3) (#21)
by schlouse on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 09:18:50 PM EST

I said:
  1. You're an unemployed and generally useless Canadian nigger that lives off of the backs of people that are worth a shit.

2. Scoop 1.1.18 is such a piece of shit that you either need (a) the sources to a private, semi-maintained fork of scoop or (b) to re-implement scoop in a more modern CMS framework or dialect of perl.
Without 2a, you'll get hacked fairly quickly. Over time, fixing those hacks will result in a de facto private, semi-maintained fork of scoop.

With 2b, you can leverage publicly-released 3rd party security patches and platform migration paths.

Seriously, look at the scoop source code and tell me with a straight face that you want to be responsible for hosting it. Within 30 seconds, some asshole will write a script that registers 10,000,000 usernames and crashes your cute little VM.

Installing scoop is not difficult in the slightest, as Del showed. It's preventing abuse and maintaining a patchset against a crusty, shitty perl codebase that's the issue, and that's why rusty put up a paywall. At least he gets $5 for sorting out assholish behavior.

Actually there is a logical reason (1.50 / 8) (#11)
by Michael David Crawford on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 07:46:53 PM EST

I've always been clear about it: I write to solve my problems, I publish my writing to help others who have the same problems.

It is a form of self-analysis.

I've been accused of all kinds of mean, nasty, ugly things because of my writings, but really that is all there has ever been.

the fact is (2.50 / 4) (#17)
by achievingfluidity on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 08:41:53 PM EST

you are probably one of 3 people who gives a shit.

The rest are either hanging around waiting for it to die (i include myself here) or actively trying to destroy it. It's only gonna take a little bit more.

ANNOY A LIBERAL USE FACTS AND LOGIC

One word: Rustina (2.83 / 6) (#18)
by localroger on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 08:59:26 PM EST

Rusty was a damn good sport about it all until that, but history has shown that you can break some great men by going after their family instead of their selves. I actually took the trouble to meet Rusty and he's a great guy with a wonderful wife and kids. And I think he would have taken anything to the chin in stride for himself, but I don't think he could look his wife in the eye and say he had to enable the people who were doing that smack to her.

As for re-creating this site, good luck with that. K5 got an amazingly good start thanks to the exodus from Slashdot, and you're not going to get that again. The old K5 crew have moved on (It's disconcerting sometimes to meet one on Wikipedia, another on Reddit). And Slashdot doesn't suck quite as much or have quite the volume of quality people looking to jump that it did when Rusty started this place. Life sometimes give you opportunities, and if you blow them you don't get second chances.

And that is what is so great about the internet. It enables pompous blowhards to connect with other pompous blowhards in a vast circle jerk of pomposity. -- Bill Maher

OMG IGTT 2/10 (1.60 / 5) (#19)
by Korean Loller Blader on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 09:05:35 PM EST

You prove my point to a T. "Oh, I'll host a crazy-no-holds-barred website, but only if fucking faggots who understand the essentially Conservative world of the Internet is cool with that....."

No, RLY
D'oh! I can't seem to talk to the mod_

So how would you handle the MDC meltdown? (3.00 / 2) (#20)
by Del Griffith on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 09:15:40 PM EST

naturally 20/20 is fun here..

I felt compelled to anon him once he started doing first/last name suicide.....

-------

I think Rusty showed restraint. (3.00 / 2) (#26)
by xC0000005 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 10:20:20 PM EST

My tendency would have been to kick MDC to the curb for that for his own good. But MDC's a big boy and what he wanted to do, Rusty was probably ok with, until it sent trouble his way. Then the plug got pulled.

Good or bad, the hand that guides the least guides best in most of these matters.

Voice of the Hive - Beekeeping and Bees for those who don't

the invisible hand of the internet (none / 0) (#35)
by N0574 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 06:49:47 AM EST

...which is another reason why he should drop the $5 barrier: it disrupts the chaotic flow of the site.

- NCCTG N0574 CANCER PROTOCOL
it's what brain arugala would have done! (none / 1) (#56)
by donnalee on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 11:54:13 PM EST

IM SO BOUGHT INTO THE SYSTEM THAT IT HAS TO BE RIGHT OR I ELSE I'VE MADE A TERRIBLE SHAMEFUL MISTAKE

Guess I'll be adding this to tomorrow's comment dump!
You anon him and let him sign up again. (none / 1) (#38)
by Korean Loller Blader on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 08:53:03 AM EST

Who cares?
D'oh! I can't seem to talk to the mod_
Rusty let you meat his kid?? $ (2.40 / 5) (#30)
by undermyne on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 01:31:47 AM EST

"You're an asshole. You are the greatest troll on this site." Some nullo

Philosophical difference - (3.00 / 5) (#22)
by tdillo on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 09:26:21 PM EST

I reread that line and I don't understand who you are comparing us to. I mean it's obvious that the first part is describing kurons but then you just leave off. Who else is there that even matters?

It is also obvious what is suffocating this site and it ain't no $5 footlong pay-wall. If anything the $5 admission has probably kept us on life-support a little longer than what would have happened otherwise.

We don't need another site. You're just never, ever, going to repeat k5 again. This is that corner bar/pub that you hang out in. When the final LAST CALL goes out then that's it. That's all she wrote and there ain't no more.

No, what we need is more CHARACTERS. Like MC for instance. That was some shit right there. the original hugin was kinda cool but he flamed out too quick.

It ain't BEE GUY that keeps us going--no disrespect, I love the bee stories and Sgt York's stuff as well--it's the folks like Lil Debbie and GoT that keep the taps flowing and the waitresses on their toes.

Another thing is that k5 isn't the same as it used to be. The front page just doesn't mean shit anymore. All the real action is going down in the diary ghetto and that is probably about as unfettered as one can expect these days.

Anyways, let me get you another beer, your glass looks a little empty there and I'll just pour myself a fresh one while I'm at it.

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

The alternative is Michael Crawford.

yes, but please, (none / 1) (#23)
by N0574 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 09:32:13 PM EST

when it's up don't allow anyone to post/register using their own fucking name! (Unless their name is Cricket Crawford, of course).

- NCCTG N0574 CANCER PROTOCOL
good idea... (none / 0) (#25)
by Del Griffith on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 09:51:20 PM EST

we can dump the users from troll track & mash them into the database... so nobody can have them.

I hear (none / 0) (#24)
by /dev/trash on Mon Nov 16, 2009 at 09:43:41 PM EST

That the dailykos is pretty successful.  You may wanna Visit

Updated 02/20/2004
New Site
ground up (3.00 / 2) (#29)
by loteck on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 01:10:44 AM EST

you'd have to do it on another system, scoop is dead unless you have the resources to properly reboot it.

this shit got popular, then expensive, then too expensive, and then it got hacked, then rustina, then several more hacks... and then trolls came.. and on and on... and..

for what? localroger? FNH? anal masturbation? if you just started this thing as a hobby, you would have dropped out long ago too. all the successful sites have dedicated staff that make their living (or a good portion of it) from the continuing health of the community.

the project didn't fail on rusty, it was the other way around.
"WHAT AN ETERNAL MOBIUS STRIP OF FELLATIATIC BANALITY THIS IS." -Harry B Otch

zzzzZZZZzzZZzzZZZzzzZZzzzzzz (2.00 / 3) (#31)
by undermyne on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 01:34:24 AM EST

menstruations of the keyboard from our very own has-been nullo. Go play at Husi where your emo tripe gets traction.

"You're an asshole. You are the greatest troll on this site." Some nullo

The very fact that you think it's me over at Husi (none / 1) (#39)
by Korean Loller Blader on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 08:56:48 AM EST

shows how non-nullo and current I still am. I have one account there and it has 2 comments and no stories on it.

ror
D'oh! I can't seem to talk to the mod_

I am impressed that MC plans his next (none / 1) (#32)
by sholden on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 03:21:32 AM EST

live performance 6 years into the future.

The world's dullest web page

This looks to me like a (none / 0) (#33)
by stuaart on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 05:41:59 AM EST

diary...

Linkwhore: [Hidden stories.] Baldrtainment: Corporate concubines and Baldrson: An Introspective

Never heard about husi before... (none / 0) (#40)
by mirko on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 09:18:50 AM EST

...but it know soundslike the craiglist of diarrhying...
Finally I managed to make the decision that I would work on it. - MDC
we had to huddle together - trane
We at HuSi (1.50 / 2) (#41)
by debacle on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 10:25:02 AM EST

Laugh from our phallic, glistening ivory tower.

It tastes sweet.
racist $ (3.00 / 3) (#42)
by j1mmy on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 12:02:35 PM EST

entertainment: (none / 0) (#43)
by Del Griffith on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 12:18:49 PM EST

wants to be free...

-------

the problem isn't the site or the software (3.00 / 7) (#44)
by j1mmy on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 12:25:14 PM EST

it's the people. we're all terrible people and that's why this site is so terrible. look at the top 3 tags for the site. what would inspire anyone to come here with content like that?

I totally agree. (2.50 / 2) (#45)
by Del Griffith on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 12:28:29 PM EST

between the ascii porn, rustina, incest & pedophilia, screen widening & outright attacks I'll be surprised if it's still running in the next year....

Oh well I guess the "joke" is on me.

-------

What the hell is a 'terrible' person? (2.00 / 4) (#46)
by Korean Loller Blader on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 01:14:07 PM EST

The very idea is preposterous.
D'oh! I can't seem to talk to the mod_
you (3.00 / 5) (#47)
by j1mmy on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 01:15:07 PM EST

also, me.

scoop "slick" (none / 0) (#48)
by sausalito on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 06:01:23 PM EST

lol
_____________

GBH - "The whole point is that the App Store acts as a firewall between busy soccer moms and goatse links"

Also look up the word "luddite", moron (none / 0) (#49)
by sausalito on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 06:04:00 PM EST

You might discover the reason why it has nothing to do with what you think it means.
_____________

Ned Ludd & his little revolution? (none / 0) (#51)
by Del Griffith on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 06:53:02 PM EST

too bad he didn't win.

But what's Ned got to do with it?

-------

the $5 paywall became necessary because (3.00 / 2) (#50)
by sausalito on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 06:08:50 PM EST

editors vanished from the site leaving it vulnerable to abuse.

So really the most important thing would be to recruit a new group of editors.Once this is done, the paywall could be lifted.

But rusty cannot be arsed to do it.
_____________

I am amazed (none / 0) (#53)
by PrinceSausage on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 08:40:19 PM EST

Stop twitching you rotting old fuck and get on with the dying. I don't have time for this.

You're just seeing how civilization is going... (none / 0) (#54)
by claes on Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 10:59:07 PM EST

to die of apathy, but just a little early.

I have seen the future, and it is gay. (3.00 / 3) (#58)
by alba on Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 06:15:13 AM EST

Welcome to 4chan.org, kurofags.

fdsgfds. also HORSECOCK (none / 0) (#80)
by HackerCracker on Sat Mar 20, 2010 at 11:05:11 PM EST

I weep with great shame for I have partaken of the filth of 4chan

yes, i suck, but not HORSECOCK (none / 0) (#81)
by HackerCracker on Sat Mar 20, 2010 at 11:07:28 PM EST

i weep with great shame
for i have partaken of
the filth of 4chan

May I present to you my solution: (none / 0) (#59)
by Del Griffith on Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 09:23:14 AM EST

Get your id's while you can (figure it out)....

Before I put in the paywall ....

But I'll let you have free id's for another 12 days!

-------

the username 'rusty' is already taken (none / 0) (#67)
by Zombie Schrodingers Cat on Thu Nov 19, 2009 at 03:19:35 AM EST

now what do I do?

Go with something like (none / 0) (#69)
by Del Griffith on Thu Nov 19, 2009 at 08:59:24 AM EST

Rusty Venture
Rusty Gates
Rusty_

etc...

Use your imagination!!!

STFU (3.00 / 2) (#60)
by Sgt York on Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 10:00:02 AM EST

and contribute something worthwhile, then. Stir the fucking pot if you don't like it. Rusty being involved or not has nothing at all to do with it. Do you really think that the lack of quality writing in the queue is due to the cancel submission bug? Paywall....maybe. But the "new" scoop sites are proposing paywalls, too.

Hell, cts could stir the pot in his sleep, and that guy was a fucking moron. Even Egil could get people talking, that guy could get 100 posts to a diary without even trying. Everybody was talking about nothing, granted, but at least they were talking.

There is a reason for everything. Sometimes, that reason just sucks.

how would you finance your "site"? (none / 1) (#61)
by Del Griffith on Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 10:20:23 AM EST

a one time fee isn't outrageous is it?

-------

fuckifiknow (none / 1) (#62)
by Sgt York on Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 10:35:07 AM EST

I know jack shit about running a website. I'm just saying that, from a user's perspective, a paywall can (not will, but can) be a barrier to a site with the character of K5. It slows the introduction of characters that are important to this place. I think you need a way for people to make quick, fun accounts. I remember making accounts on K5 just to make a point, crack a joke, or experiment a little. It was fun, and they often generated a good response. This isn't really feasible with a paywall.

It may be the best possible solution given the economics, but it is still a barrier; there is a tradeoff involved. You would probably be better served in the long run funding it another way, if it's possible. (and no, I have no idea what that way would be. See opening line)

There is a reason for everything. Sometimes, that reason just sucks.

how would you feel about a 'pack' of ID's... (none / 0) (#63)
by Del Griffith on Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 10:40:07 AM EST

maybe 10 id's for $10? just a thought.

-------

The K5 paywall (3.00 / 2) (#64)
by Sgt York on Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 11:11:48 AM EST

is not in place to make money or defray costs. I highly doubt Rusty makes enough from new account creation to buy coffee. It's there as a dupe barrier, and it has worked pretty well. Unfortunately, dupes are part of the nutritional requirements of K5.

I don't think buying packs of ID's will be of help, either. You need to make UID's truly valueless monetarily, or make it full on paywall. Middle of the road here gives you the worst of both worlds. Hell, maybe you get a free dupe with each FP story?

I'm guessing ads just don't cut it? The ads on K5 certainly aren't annoying, I'd block them if they were.

There is a reason for everything. Sometimes, that reason just sucks.

huh now that's a good idea.... (none / 0) (#65)
by Del Griffith on Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 11:18:04 AM EST

free dupe with every meaningful FP.. I'll have to keep those thoughts in mind... and I'll have to run some solicitations.... Also some advertising for the place too... But thanks for the input!

-------

why not an invite system? (none / 1) (#68)
by Zombie Schrodingers Cat on Thu Nov 19, 2009 at 03:29:25 AM EST

rusty actually proposed this before... but of course didn't follow up on it.

if a user you invited causes trouble then you are responsible because you vouched for them. Sorta like how the mob works.

And you can just send an invite to yourself to make a dupe account.

I know that shit works for google (none / 0) (#70)
by Del Griffith on Thu Nov 19, 2009 at 09:00:25 AM EST

but google has... appeal.

Which people tell me that bharatscoop does not...

-------

yeah but pay $5 (none / 0) (#74)
by Zombie Schrodingers Cat on Sun Nov 22, 2009 at 03:21:48 AM EST

has even less appeal.

you gotta have free signups for a while, then once you get a good userbase, close the gates and only allow those that pay or are invited to join. if the userbase declines then open the gates again for a while.

And the consequence is.... (3.00 / 2) (#71)
by Sgt York on Thu Nov 19, 2009 at 09:07:52 AM EST

what, zerobombing? Ill will from the community? censorship/bannination?

An invite system to a community of trolls just opens a whole new field of trolling. For example, somebody woos Crawford (or some other hapless user) at his blog, then gets an invite. This person then comes to the site and raises hell, reflecting back on Crawford. And don't say nobody would go through the trouble....you know some people would.

Not a bad idea on the surface, but it needs to be fleshed out.

There is a reason for everything. Sometimes, that reason just sucks.

well the reason why k5 lasted so long (none / 1) (#73)
by Zombie Schrodingers Cat on Sun Nov 22, 2009 at 03:19:57 AM EST

is that rusty exercises pretty good judgement. site admins would just have to pay attention and when they see that someone is playing games anonymise them, warn the dude that invited them, or take away their ability to invite.

If its obvious that someone is using invites to create dupes that cause abuse then you anonymise the lot of them.

You can't have any set rules just admins that exercise good judgement.

Was Egil gettiing 74 comments for this one (none / 1) (#75)
by Korean Loller Blader on Mon Nov 23, 2009 at 12:52:01 PM EST

god enough fer ya?
D'oh! I can't seem to talk to the mod_
You're Egil? (none / 0) (#76)
by Sgt York on Mon Nov 23, 2009 at 01:44:13 PM EST

I stopped even wanting to keep it straight quite some time ago.

There is a reason for everything. Sometimes, that reason just sucks.

I shore am. (none / 0) (#78)
by Korean Loller Blader on Tue Nov 24, 2009 at 10:13:53 AM EST

D'oh! I can't seem to talk to the mod_
hahahaha... good one.... almost had me going... (1.50 / 2) (#72)
by Liar on Fri Nov 20, 2009 at 12:04:01 AM EST

"Living comfortably and distainingly[sic] off the wealth of a society you hate is just so old and cliche that it's time to change all that and people who aren't subject to that past find your fatty lives sad."

Says the guy who is posting comfortably and disdainfully off the success of a site you hate...

I admit I'm a Liar. That's why you can trust me.
K5 died long ago (2.50 / 2) (#77)
by mikael_j on Mon Nov 23, 2009 at 04:01:35 PM EST

Seriously, this site died ages ago when the "lol fagtard jew" crapflooders and trolls started hassling regulars. Then slowly people started to drop off, #k5 began to lose regulars as well and soon it was like the withering remnants of a gold rush boomtown after the gold is all gone, a few stragglers still hoping to find the last gold but mostly just the drunken assholes stumbling around. /Mikael_j
We give a bad name to the internet in general. - Rusty
Husi go there (none / 0) (#79)
by Korean Loller Blader on Wed Mar 03, 2010 at 02:59:35 PM EST