By Chino Ginelli in Meta
Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 02:04:09 PM EST
Tags: Book Review (all tags)

'Clinical Presentation of Stalking in the Enchinoed Schizoaffective Male' by Michael D. Crawford, 2009. (Publisher: Rustov Publishing)

Michael Crawford's latest treatise is another enlightened glimpse into the world of mental illness. Although the work is entitled as a 'Clinical Presentation', Crawford bravely eschews the tired academic tradition of cross-referencing and empirical research in general, unashamedly presenting instead a compellingly rich personal account. Drawing on his experience as a Software Engineer and Chino-wearer, he provides a qualitatively-dense explanation of what stalking is and why it's not his fault.

'Bonita: Long-distance Love Does Work' (chapter two) guides the reader along the rocky terrain of long-distance relationships, and offers advice on projects to occupy the mind. It seems that the keenly anticipated media player - OggFrog - is the child of precisely the kind of adversity which has moulded Crawford's existence;

"Drag and drop was Bonita's main complaint about iTunes. It doesn't have file open dialogs. She said: 'Michael, this application doesn't have file open dialogs. Do you think you could write a replacement for me?' I knew there and then that I had a calling, and that Bonita and I would walk along the path together, on a journey of mutual discovery."

How did this peace frog come to be? Crawford explains passionately how OggFrog brought he and Bonita closer, and as an aside offers this anecdote that scholars will be pleased to learn..

"I was contemplating my employment situation, gazing through the late in my hands. Then, something caught my eye. I focussed on the coffee swirls, and it was at that moment I realised a solution was presenting itself before my very eyes. I discerned the silhouette of a two-dimensional frog, which was smiling back at me with a reassuring confidence that everything would be alright. I looked away, wanting this to be real, and as I stared at iTunes on Bonita's laptop, I heard the frog say 'Rippit!' The rest was history, Real Soon Now."

Throughout the book he taps into a substantive body of previous work to illustrate the power of faith and unimportance of timekeeping, but the theme never moves away from Schizoaffective Disorder as he exposes before all the harsh existence sufferers of the disorder bear.

"I am an enchinoed Schizoaffective male. This means, in my case, my Schizoaffective Disorder is partially manifested as an inability to assimilate ideas beyond 1991. Hence, I belong to a special group of people whom are said to be 'enchinoed'. We enjoy practical, free-flowing trouserware of a certain era but this sometimes comes at the expense of full membership within society. Only yesterday, some youths hummed the signature tune 'Axel F' from the movie 'Beverly Hills Cop', whilst they were sat behind me on the bus. I cite this as but a minor example of the injustices we face."

'Song To The Siren' (chapter twenty-three) is a work of virtuosity, framing his world in the language of Greek mythology to provide a captivating insight into male menopausal response. Crawford offers an irrefutable argument that middle-aged men everywhere should strive for the unobtainable, and advances the idea that 'someone who is as damaged as you are is better for you' with semantic aplomb.

"She laughed when I jived to 'Simply Irresistible' by Robert Palmer in the waiting room. She told me that I wasn't a bad dancer for my age."

Once more, Schizoaffective Disorder is referenced extensively, enhancing the value of this masterpiece, and it is a hallmark of Crawford's rigour that he never lets the topic stray from himself. With a characteristic insightfulness, Crawford identifies counter-cultural forces within his psyche that result in non-conformant behaviour.

He presents a frank and unrepentant exploration of these forces using the OggFrog project as an example in 'The Cathedral Within The Bazaar' (chapter thirty-six), offering a rejection of traditional Open-Source Software (OSS) doctrine and conventional software engineering ideas to present what superficially seem to the reader to be two distinctly stigmatised notions;

1. That software should exist within the OSS sphere and still be close-sourced in its infancy;
  2. That it is OK to re-implement widely used libraries if this means that the work is all your own.

"It is an issue of deep personal concern to me. I fought long and hard with the elders at The Tao before I was eventually excommunicated. They wanted me to do things their way, even when it was sometimes obvious my way would be better. They wanted to tie me into their libraries, their design philosophy. My work was to be for only one system, their system. It was a beautiful system - to be sure - but I felt I should have a wider audience. It wasn't merely a matter of good user interfaces - there was something rotten at its heart. When The Tao elected to enslave music, for financial gain, I knew I would have to leave. I challenged my peers in many debates."

He goes into great allegorical detail, painting a picture of a rebel championing the rights of the common man. This all serves to reinforce the myriad counter-arguments in favour of stalking developed throughout the book, suggesting that 'harassment' (and the wider trait of non-conformity) is a problem of relativity between social norms rather than something that is clearly and objectively identifiable as 'bad'. The following excerpt builds upon this, and also provides an interesting picture of Crawford's past.

'Brother Jeremiah, I posit that digital music should not be encumbered by these bestial bits of control, but instead that it should be the very oxygen which our systems should breathe freely. For is not each note the child of Ogg Himself?'

'Brother Michael you blaspheme greatly. Why do you insist on speaking of this 'Ogg' ? And these 'bits of control' you reject are not the ill you maintain they are. The Elders have explained themselves time and again to you; the income that the companies receive and that by which they may pay the artists, whom make the music and whom need money to live so they might practice their art, require a mechanism to prohibit the mass duplication of their works as monetised by the culture within which we integrate .. And why do you refuse to wear the proper clothing? Those Chino trousers have no place here.'

'A pox on thine eyes Brother Jeremiah, for know you that I am an enchinoed Schizoaffective male and your prejudice towards my trouser garment is of the basest discrimination. I wear them because they suit my needs, and they differ from your needs and their needs. Air is permitted to flow freely; the tight black denim prescribed by the leader is cruel upon my circulation, and the polo necks commit a similar disrespect upon my neck.'

'Daddy' (chapter forty-one) forms the crux of his thesis: Protective stalking. By comparing and contrasting his feelings of paternity towards Cricket (his deceased feline), and his same fatherly instincts towards his patients, Crawford promotes his positive intervention philosophy with a forthright sense of clarity.

"'You need me more than you know', I explained to her. I could tell by her expression that she was overwhelmed by emotion, and I required no words of her to understand her unspeakable gratitude. I was to see the look of mute thankfulness many times over the course of my professional relationship with her, as we would bump into each other in unisex water stalls and other such locations."

'The Burden of Responsibility' (chapter sixty-four) provides an enigmatic coda to his personal account, and I will leave you with this final quote:

"I have wrestled long and hard with the import of my situation. And I will say only this: It would hurt them more than it would hurt me. They need it, to believe in it. It offers them hope, and it is with hope that I say that when history judges me, it should nod and say 'Yes, but he did it for them.'"

It's with a deep regret that I cannot hope to cover the book as completely as it deserves, and I award this book the full five lates out of a possible five. Essential coffee-shop reading.

o 'Clinical Presentation of Stalking in the Enchinoed Schizoaffective Male'
o Rustov Publishing
o Also by Chino Ginelli

K5 Book Review: 'Clinical Presentation of Stalking in the Enchinoed Schizoaffective Male' | 47 comments (43 topical, 4 editorial, 0 hidden)
Hey anyone know where (2.66 / 6) (#1)
by channel on Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 04:36:19 PM EST

to get a good pair o' chinos?

Marriage is a divine rite. It was part of God's design when He created man. - Royal Martyr Empress Alexandra Fedorovna.
i don't know whether to laugh or cry (1.00 / 4) (#2)
by totmacher on Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 04:48:05 PM EST

i think i'll do both while masturbating to this, jolly good show old chap

-- I'll sum it up for yo: You = Douche bag ~ Butthurtapotamus
shut up. You're so goddam boring (2.40 / 5) (#6)
by Hiphopopotamus on Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 07:20:49 PM EST

Go back to Husi where you belong. they think your polite wittiness is interesting there, faggot.
_________________

I'm In LOVE!

lol you're like a crazy cling ex-gf without any of (none / 0) (#8)
by totmacher on Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 09:18:13 PM EST

the benefits

-- I'll sum it up for yo: You = Douche bag ~ Butthurtapotamus
I seriously doubt anyone could ever love you (2.40 / 5) (#20)
by Hiphopopotamus on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 08:19:38 AM EST

_________________

I'm In LOVE!

actually, I think he's a 4chan refugee .nt (none / 0) (#10)
by N0574 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 11:41:40 PM EST

- NCCTG N0574 CANCER PROTOCOL
you are correct, sir (none / 0) (#11)
by totmacher on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 12:23:17 AM EST

-- I'll sum it up for yo: You = Douche bag ~ Butthurtapotamus
is that really something you admit in public (3.00 / 2) (#15)
by Delirium on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 02:56:03 AM EST

He's a loser. What can he possibly do to ruin (none / 0) (#21)
by Hiphopopotamus on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 08:38:41 AM EST

his 'image'?
_________________

I'm In LOVE!

He could get you to stop being gay for him (3.00 / 3) (#22)
by Nimey on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 09:11:13 AM EST

the fact that you don't like him is kinda cute.
Never mind, it was just the dog cumming -- jandev
You Sir, are an Ignorant Motherfucker. -- Crawford
I am arguably too manic to do that. -- Crawford
I already fuck my mother -- trane
Nimey is right -- Blastard
i am in complete agreement with Nimey -- i am a pretty big deal

I'll let you in on a secret: (3.00 / 4) (#23)
by Hiphopopotamus on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 09:18:11 AM EST

He's just something to pass the time. It's a fucking computer id as far as I know. I feel no more for him than I do for anyone here. It's just fun to get to have some old times again.

Also, the fact that he doesn't seem to get it is pretty funny.
_________________

I'm In LOVE!

i must've hit a nerve (none / 0) (#25)
by totmacher on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 10:26:11 AM EST

are you gonna cry now?

-- I'll sum it up for yo: You = Douche bag ~ Butthurtapotamus
How would you hit a nerve? (2.25 / 4) (#26)
by Hiphopopotamus on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 10:43:31 AM EST

You add nothing and you take nothing. You are a virtual non-entity. The only reason anyone notices you are here is because I keep trolling the shit out of you.
_________________

I'm In LOVE!

cuz you're stalking me, isn't it obvious (none / 0) (#27)
by totmacher on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 10:49:01 AM EST

you wouldn't see this as abnormal though, cuz you're like crazy and stuff

-- I'll sum it up for yo: You = Douche bag ~ Butthurtapotamus
what makes you say that? (2.00 / 3) (#28)
by Hiphopopotamus on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 10:56:33 AM EST

you shouldn't say things your spine cant back up im serious here
_________________

I'm In LOVE!

ITG sighting $ (none / 1) (#31)
by schlouse on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 05:06:05 PM EST

HEARTS (2.00 / 3) (#32)
by Hiphopopotamus on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 08:21:20 PM EST

_________________

I'm In LOVE!

i tend to yell it out on the subway (none / 1) (#24)
by totmacher on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 10:24:44 AM EST

every now and then

-- I'll sum it up for yo: You = Douche bag ~ Butthurtapotamus
K5 is on the rise (2.85 / 7) (#4)
by United Fools on Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 06:24:16 PM EST

toward becoming a world class science news and discussion site.

This is the proof.

We are united, we are fools, and we are America!

NO (2.28 / 7) (#5)
by achievingfluidity on Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 06:29:40 PM EST

not another article even related to MC.

STOP TEH MADNESS

ANNOY A LIBERAL USE FACTS AND LOGIC

Is the Ogg Frog Source Code in There? (none / 1) (#9)
by Gruntathon on Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 09:24:27 PM EST

__________
If they hadn't been such quality beasts (despite being so young) it would have been a nightmare - good self-starting, capable hands are your finest friend. -- Anonymous CEO
RORED AT BEV HILLS COPP (2.84 / 13) (#13)
by Jobst of Moravia on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 01:09:11 AM EST

WUS MY RUNGTONE FOR LIKE 7 YRS

__
   .,-;-;-,. /'_\ ---Did this Negro say "Street Moor"?
 _/_/_/_|_\_\) /
'-<_><_><_><_>=\
 `/_/====/_/-'\_\
  ""     ""    ""

AXEL FTW (none / 0) (#41)
by it certainly is on Thu Feb 05, 2009 at 03:45:09 AM EST

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Godwin's law [...] is impossible to violate except with an infinitely long thread that doesn't mention nazis.

Just So Long As You Spell My Name Right (1.50 / 16) (#17)
by MichaelCrawford on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 03:16:11 AM EST

I should point out though, that I am diagnosed with two distinct mental illnesses of which my schizoaffective disorder is just one.

Psychiatrists speak of Five Axes of Diagnosis. In a sense, ones mental illness is a point in a five dimensional space, of which the axes are:

• Biological or Chemical
  • Psychological or Neurotic
  • Stressors
  • Physical Health
  • General Level of Functioning
As screwed up as I have always been, I am a very high-functioning patient - I've pursued a challenging technical career for many years, earned a physics degree and so on.

But it can happen for low-functioning people that even very moderate illnesses can completely incapacitate them.

My Schizoaffective Disorder is my biological axis diagnosis. It's thought to be genetic, although there is some evidence the schizophrenic component could have been caused by infectious disease.

The biological mental illnesses are all incurable, but often the symptoms may be effectively treated with medicine - but the medicine must be taken for all one's life.

The neurotic axis illnesses are generally caused by some unresolved trauma, most often in childhood, although they can arise in adults, as with a soldier's Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

They are almost always completely curable with talk therapy alone, however many do not persist through to the cure because it requires one to face one's deepest fears.

My neurotic axis diagnosis is Obsessive-Compulsive Style. You would all have a lot easier time making sense of the things I do, say, feel and believe if you were to learn about it.

It's quite a different thing than the more-commonly known Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

It was described by David Shapiro in his book Neurotic Styles in 1965. My therapist presented me with the OCS chapter of that book when she told me of my diagnosis in the Spring of 1994. I haven't read it yet, but I understand he also discussed it in Autonomy and Rigid Character.

Google books turns them up:

Does Google have my chapter? Yes - and the whole chapter - not just an excerpt! If you read this chapter, you will understand me in great detail:

Imagine, if you will, reading not only your entire life story, but everything you have ever thought, felt, done and experienced - in a book that was written when you were just one year old.

I'm sure that you can understand that when I first read that chapter, Hilarity Ensued. Two weeks later I was admitted to a psychiatric hospital in a profoundly psychotic state.

In short, Obsessive-Compulsive Style is a mental illness that makes one want to be a computer programmer - and a damn good one. In fact, one is incapable of programming computers in any but completely flawless ways.

Today I had a job interview that lasted for seven hours, in which damn near every question was about how I would either debug a hypothetical problem, or how I actually had debugged various problems I actually have encountered.

In one case, I diagnosed a server hang by going at it with an oscilloscope, then solved the problem by convincing my manager to buy me five hundred dollars worth of low-capacitance serial cable. Capacitive coupling was causing a feedback loop, you see, so that our Sun servers were always trying to log in a user whose name was a garbled translation of "SunOS Login:".

At the end of the day I said to the department head:

I am completely confident in claiming that I am one of the very best in the entire industry at low-level debugging. I can find - and fix - the bugs that no one else can.

I claimed that I really didn't understand how I got to be this way, other than saying "I can smell bugs" and "bugs leap out at me". But I was lying:

No, my debugging ability is a result of the laser-like attention to detail that my Obsessive-Compulsive Style gives me. I am not merely good at debugging, but in a quite literal sense, I am insanely good at debugging, in a way that no rational software engineer could ever hope to be.

When I explained all this to my case manager at my health insurance company, she said "Obsessive-Compulsive Style isn't in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual". I found that quite puzzling, because there is no doubt in my mind that it's the right diagnosis, and all the shrinks I've ever had have agreed with it.

Not just that, but I have met many other engineers and scientists over the years that I'm pretty sure also had Obsessive-Compulsive Style. Not all of us, but many of us have it.

But Shapiro wrote his book in 1965. It turns out that there is a new name for it these days. The following Google search will turn up lots of reading material for you:

I should explain that while there are adaptive symptoms to this and many other mental illnesses, Obsessive-Compulsive Style is a very serious condition. It - and not my schizoaffective disorder - is what made such an awful wreck of my life, for so much of my life.

One of the other symptoms of it, which can be at times both adaptive and maladaptive, is that we are at times regarded as very unreasonable, stubborn people.

Sound like anyone you know?

Thanks for allowing me to clear all that up. -- Mike

Live your fucking life. Sue someone on the Internet. Write a fucking music player. Like the great man Michael David Crawford has shown us all: Hard work, a strong will to stalk, and a few fries short of a happy meal goes a long way. -- bride of spidy

do these incredible disorders explain and excuse (3.00 / 14) (#18)
by th0m on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 03:46:49 AM EST

why you are such a selfish, self-obsessed, ignorant, pompous individual

presumably you think they do

i mean in this age of diagnostic miracles nobody just has an incredibly unpleasant personality any more amirite

talk therapy doesn't work (1.75 / 4) (#30)
by krkrbt on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 03:23:28 PM EST

Traumas are not fixed by talking about them. Plenty of people understand exactly why they're screwed up, but are dysfunctional nonetheless. You have to rearrange your neurology, release blockages, or something like that. Viable strategies have already been given, Mr. Crawford, but it seems that you'd rather pretend that you're making progress seeking insight into your situation.

In short, Insight Therapy == Fail.

hi (3.00 / 2) (#35)
by balsamic vinigga on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 09:51:55 PM EST

ror

Please help fund a Filipino Horror Movie. It's been in limbo since 2007 due to lack of funding. Please donate today!
rusty will now tag the schizoid (3.00 / 3) (#37)
by osm on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 10:32:36 PM EST

so it's migratory habits can be studied.

--------
4thelulz.org

it's annoying that he uses his illness as a crutch (none / 1) (#39)
by totmacher on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 10:49:10 PM EST

but honestly i can't feel anything but pity for crawford. look at the scope of his social interaction, how he obsessively focuses on denny's or going to play at a show or write poetry about his roommate or whatever. it's not something most normal, sane people would care to do but that's the only interaction he gets

and i wouldn't trade anything for these obsessive superhuman like skills he possesses, not arguing that they exist, but who cares even if they did, all the baggage that comes with it must be crushing

-- I'll sum it up for yo: You = Douche bag ~ Butthurtapotamus

this. Remember, 'e' before 'a'. (none / 1) (#42)
by Micheal Crawford on Thu Feb 05, 2009 at 10:33:59 AM EST

Looking for some free songs?

Just read what he cites... (none / 1) (#45)
by Jizzbug on Thu Feb 05, 2009 at 08:17:58 PM EST

His own assessment of his condition, and his inability to listen to those who tell him it is all in his head, is a perfect example of "intellectual rigidity" and "dogmatism" discussed in "Obsessive-Compulsive Style", pp. 24-48 of Neurotic Styles.

MC must have this complex and inflexible view of his own condition -- it is the only way he can cope (and since his coping behavior is his condition in the first place, I guess he's back where he started).

K5 sux, bro.

I say unto you: one must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. I say unto you: you still have chaos in yourselves.
 -- Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra: A Book for All and None

admittedly funny (1.80 / 5) (#19)
by th0m on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 06:47:20 AM EST

but too affectionate

unfortunately if this kind of thing starts making front page it will only encourage him

Front page! K5, we fools love you! (2.33 / 3) (#29)
by United Fools on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 03:07:07 PM EST

A new milestone in the development of K5!

We are united, we are fools, and we are America!
This article is just too good for the FP of K5 (2.50 / 4) (#33)
by tdillo on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 08:32:16 PM EST

it should be on the Front Page of all the anti-social sites.

I submitted it to Digg and 4chan. If any kurons have a reddit acct or FARK! you should submit it also. Let's spread the MC love around, we shouldn't be so stingy.

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

i'm not sure what to think of this (none / 1) (#34)
by bride of spidy on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 09:29:52 PM EST

On the one hand I find it hilarious. On the other hand I feel really bad for MC. His antics finally earned him the attention of determined trolls.

looks like he's not the only hypocrit around (none / 0) (#38)
by totmacher on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 10:42:25 PM EST

-- I'll sum it up for yo: You = Douche bag ~ Butthurtapotamus
i don't really care what you think (none / 0) (#40)
by bride of spidy on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 10:55:25 PM EST

honestly, i don't really care much at all.

Not nearly as good as (2.60 / 5) (#36)
by anaesthetica on Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 09:59:20 PM EST

this prior art.

—I'm the little engine that didn't.
k5: our trolls go to eleven
[A]S FAR AS A PERSON'S ACTIONS ARE CONCERNED, IT IS NOT TRUE THAT NOTHING BUT GOOD COMES FROM GOOD AND NOTHING BUT EVIL COMES FROM EVIL, BUT RATHER QUITE FREQUENTLY THE OPPOSITE IS THE CASE. ANYONE WHO DOES NOT REALIZE THIS IS IN FACT A MERE CHILD IN POLITICAL MATTERS. max weber, politics as a vocation

Ah, A Trolled Englishman $ (none / 1) (#43)
by Nimey on Thu Feb 05, 2009 at 01:03:21 PM EST

Never mind, it was just the dog cumming -- jandev
You Sir, are an Ignorant Motherfucker. -- Crawford
I am arguably too manic to do that. -- Crawford
I already fuck my mother -- trane
Nimey is right -- Blastard
i am in complete agreement with Nimey -- i am a pretty big deal

I guess I've peaked too soon then. (none / 0) (#44)
by Chino Ginelli on Thu Feb 05, 2009 at 02:16:17 PM EST

_____
"Can you recommend a Chino vendor?" - MichaelCrawford, Nov 2008

"[President Obama] likes em a little loose but not saggy. He likes a wool and cashmere blend. He rolls with an inch and a quarter cuff." - tdillo, Nov 2008

"I think they look sharp. But it's important that they be pressed, or at least hung properly, so as to maintain the crease." - MichaelCrawford, Sep 2009

"I find a bit of well-cut tailoring quite hot." - TDS, Jun 2010

Interesting, but what does it mean? (2.00 / 2) (#46)
by k31 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 at 11:44:59 PM EST

I'm surprised that this got FP, and the OS/2 thing got only SP.

I guess K5 collectively cares more about MC than about old tech stuff, which is a change from when I first joined, I think....

Also, I do think he shoudd publish this book and stop inventing excuses (
like this one ).

Your dollar is you only Word, the wrath of it your only fear. He who has an EAR to hear....

tl;dr (none / 0) (#47)
by sye on Sun Nov 30, 2014 at 09:26:28 AM EST

bookmarked

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
commentary - For a better sye@K5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ripple me ~~> ~allthingsgo: gateway to Garden of Perfect Brightess in CNY/BTC/LTC/DRK
rubbing u ~~> ~procrasti: getaway to HE'LL
Hey! at least he was in a stable relationship. - procrasti
enter K5 via Blastar.in

tolomea bubbling (none / 0) (#48)
by sye on Sun Nov 30, 2014 at 04:48:17 PM EST