Tweaking K5

By mirko in Meta
Wed Jan 20, 2010 at 07:32:15 PM EST
Tags: CSSodomy (all tags)

Some loosy penis has loads of fun shitting around page-lenghtening and/or widening comments or diar(rh)ies.

I suggest Rusty fixes that annoyance by adding a tiny bit of code in K5.

The comment tables tags:
  • /html/body/table/tbody/tr/td/form/table/tbody/tr/td/table

and also the diary box table tags:
  • /html/body/table/tbody/tr/td/table.username
should contain something like the following:

style="overflow: auto; width: 640px; height: 384px;"

That way, whatever is lenghtening or widening will remain boxed.

Just my 2 (€)cents...

Anyway, we could benefit from this story by proposing some easy ways to re-tweek K5 so that it overcomes its issues.

most exciting web developer tool/tech
o DOM 14%
o JQuery 14%
o CSS 42%
o Firebug 28%
o vim 42%
o Eclipse 28%
o Ajax 35%
o SVG 28%
o WIPO 14%

o Some loosy penis
o comments
o diar(rh)ie s
o Also by mirko

Tweaking K5 | 34 comments (33 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)
i know nothing... (none / 0) (#1)
by jolt rush soon on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 04:10:16 AM EST

...about web design but what would that do to the height of comments?
Subosc — free electronic music.
oh right, i see, the article itself (none / 0) (#2)
by jolt rush soon on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 04:13:00 AM EST

duh, me.
Subosc — free electronic music.
LOOK AT YOU (3.00 / 13) (#3)
by zombie lonelyhobo on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 10:23:43 AM EST

THINKING EVEN A SIMPLE CHANGE WILL BE IMPLEMENTED
NIGGA YOU DUMB
hope is what got obama elected$ (3.00 / 4) (#4)
by mirko on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 11:36:30 AM EST

Finally I managed to make the decision that I would work on it. - MDC
we had to huddle together - trane
GOOD THING THIS IS A FOR-PAY SITE NOW SO HE'LL (3.00 / 5) (#10)
by MotorMachineMercenary on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 03:38:06 PM EST

GET PAID AND HAVE NO EXCUSE TO FIX THE ISSUE.

Tenured K5 uberdouchebag
- Herr mirleid
Meatgazer
- Frau gr3y

*not to fix the issue /nt (2.00 / 2) (#11)
by MotorMachineMercenary on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 03:38:49 PM EST

Tenured K5 uberdouchebag
- Herr mirleid
Meatgazer
- Frau gr3y

I realize you were being sarcastic... (none / 1) (#27)
by Wain on Thu Jan 21, 2010 at 08:46:12 AM EST

but I love the irony in that you were right the first time.

HOW ABOUT YOU FIX THE CANCEL BUTTON TOO? (3.00 / 3) (#5)
by GhostOfTiber on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 11:49:38 AM EST

[Nimey's] wife's ass is my cocksheath. - undermyne

that he might not$ (3.00 / 2) (#6)
by mirko on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 11:53:40 AM EST

Finally I managed to make the decision that I would work on it. - MDC
we had to huddle together - trane
Looks like the problem was taken care of (none / 0) (#7)
by Have A Nice Day on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 01:52:51 PM EST

At least temporarily.

--------------
Have A Nice Day may have reentered the building.
removing symptom != curing a problem (3.00 / 3) (#8)
by zombie lonelyhobo on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 02:11:56 PM EST

NIGGA YOU DUMB
It's a little more than that (3.00 / 3) (#9)
by Have A Nice Day on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 02:20:12 PM EST

It's like going and getting that chlamydia cleared up by the doc, but still refusing to wear a rubber. It's gonna happen again (or worse), but this instance is gone.

--------------
Have A Nice Day may have reentered the building.
HOPE AND CHANGE 2010 (none / 1) (#12)
by Del Griffith on Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 10:27:36 PM EST

SOSDD.

-------
I...I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. Because I'm the real article. What you see is what you get. - Me

ZOMG first +1! (3.00 / 3) (#14)
by nostalgiphile on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 03:50:23 AM EST

god has spoken through me!

"Depending on your perspective you are an optimist or a pessimist[,] and a hopeless one too." --trhurler
Eclipse (3.00 / 5) (#15)
by sye on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 09:53:53 AM EST

IBM uses Eclipse almost exclusively as an interface to their lines of SOA hardware appliances.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
commentary - For a better sye@K5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ripple me ~~> ~allthingsgo: gateway to Garden of Perfect Brightess in CNY/BTC/LTC/DRK
rubbing u ~~> ~procrasti: getaway to HE'LL
Hey! at least he was in a stable relationship. - procrasti
enter K5 via Blastar.in

Segmentation fault (3.00 / 5) (#16)
by sye on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 10:14:24 AM EST

/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.2/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 27810 Segmentation fault

and guess what caused my Segmentation fault on Linux RedHat 4 update 7 Firefox? Obamba's web2 feed on MLK day as I was reading it. Swear to God, I am telling the truth, nothing but the truth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
commentary - For a better sye@K5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rubbing u ~~> ~procrasti: getaway to HE'LL
Hey! at least he was in a stable relationship. - procrasti
enter K5 via Blastar.in

RUSTY HAS CLEARLY STATED THAT HE WON'T FIX THIS (none / 1) (#17)
by current president of the usa on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 12:05:33 PM EST

There's his specious reasoning. Sorry, pal, but it will never happen. You'll have to use stylish or greasemonkey or something to fix this.

Signed with a Presidential Seal

one can't oil-up a rusty mind, you know $ (none / 0) (#18)
by sye on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 12:45:14 PM EST

bodywork is better

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
commentary - For a better sye@K5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rubbing u ~~> ~procrasti: getaway to HE'LL
Hey! at least he was in a stable relationship. - procrasti
enter K5 via Blastar.in

don't miss out on trane's reply to that (3.00 / 2) (#19)
by nostalgiphile on Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 10:47:59 PM EST

rusty is just a douche, period. (3.00 / 7) (#20)
by The Hanged Man on Wed Jan 20, 2010 at 12:56:40 AM EST

he is an enormous douchebag. he is making bank off of scoop through the Markos Moulitsas Zuniga connection on DailyKos, one of the most fucked, banal and stupid websites on the internet. those troglodyte hatemongers can't see straight if someone even begins to think about disagreeing with them, the Righteous and the Just who know just what to do to save all of us idiot hilljacks from ourself.

rusty is fine, financially. he already made 70,000 bucks with CMF. where did that value ever come back for the members? where? anyone that offers him money now for this site is a godddamned easy mark, and if you feel like throwing your money away,  i have some bullshit i can sell, and it will be a lot cheaper for you. rusty already has broken plenty of promises, like what he did with other people's money. jason kottke the blogger raised a bunch of money to "blog full time" and then the next year his site went from shitty to utter failure, because he was probably spending all his time on the couch auto-fellating hisself.

fuck you, rusty. you're worse than a bank robber, as far as i'm concerned. the FDIC don't bailout idealistic techies circa 2002, lol. jesus, you guys paid money for CMF? hahahah it still makes me laugh.

when was the last scoop update? years ago.

when was the last dailykos codebase update? who knows? i bet it wasn't 5 FUCKING YEARS AGO, EH?

rusty is laughing all the way to the bank, and the only reason he hasn't dropped k5 is because it isn't costing him money to keep it up, and he's like a tiny god trying to burn up the ants with a magnifying glass. lucky for the ants, this god is a fucking idiot drunk.

this site has history, users here have died in epic or tragic fashion, and this site is the only repository for some of their thoughts, the only window into their psyche. i think 2 or 3 kurons have killed themselves since this site's inception. k5 has at certain points trolled vasts swathes of these here internets. but rusty doesn't give a flying fuck about any of that. if he cared at all he'd at least bother to do the BARE MINIMUM to improve things a little, or give the remaining users some modicum of confidence that things would improve. but no, he's just laughing all the way to the bank while he raises his kids (more future criminals) on other people's money.

JUST LIKE A NIGGER.

fuck you, rusty, you twat.

-------------

Dificile est saturam non scribere - Juvenal
sounds like a Gnaa troll. :D $ (none / 1) (#21)
by mirko on Wed Jan 20, 2010 at 01:46:30 AM EST

Finally I managed to make the decision that I would work on it. - MDC
we had to huddle together - trane
LOL THANKS! I USED TO ADMIRE GNAA WHEN I WAS NAIVE (3.00 / 3) (#22)
by The Hanged Man on Wed Jan 20, 2010 at 03:28:32 AM EST

ENOUGH TO THINK SLASHDOT MATTERED. NOW I ADMIRE THEM EVEN MORE FOR ALL THOSE EMPTY GESTURES.

-------------

Dificile est saturam non scribere - Juvenal
and their outer space movie is pure genius$ (3.00 / 5) (#23)
by mirko on Wed Jan 20, 2010 at 04:16:33 AM EST

Finally I managed to make the decision that I would work on it. - MDC
we had to huddle together - trane
i know, right? everyone should see that film // (none / 1) (#24)
by The Hanged Man on Wed Jan 20, 2010 at 04:59:26 AM EST

-------------

Dificile est saturam non scribere - Juvenal
and eat bananas while listening to Clayderman$ (none / 1) (#25)
by mirko on Wed Jan 20, 2010 at 05:33:03 AM EST

Finally I managed to make the decision that I would work on it. - MDC
we had to huddle together - trane
while it's there... (3.00 / 2) (#26)
by mirko on Wed Jan 20, 2010 at 11:11:00 PM EST

IT would be a good idea to suggest features which could benefit K5.
For example, I'd love the possibility to vote for new polls instead of waiting until His Rustiness deigns pretending to be home.
Finally I managed to make the decision that I would work on it. - MDC
we had to huddle together - trane
Voting for new polls lol $ (none / 0) (#28)
by Kariik on Thu Jan 21, 2010 at 10:14:28 AM EST

Metapolls are the future (none / 1) (#31)
by channel on Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 09:52:59 PM EST

WELCOME TO MY SIG!
A browser-independent killfile (none / 0) (#29)
by Nimey on Thu Jan 21, 2010 at 07:40:13 PM EST

so I can be blessedly ignorant of whatever bullshit NIWS or Paultard are involved in.
Never mind, it was just the dog cumming -- jandev
You Sir, are an Ignorant Motherfucker. -- Crawford
I am arguably too manic to do that. -- Crawford
I already fuck my mother -- trane
Nimey is right -- Blastard
i am in complete agreement with Nimey -- i am a pretty big deal

If I ever make it big time (3.00 / 1) (#30)
by Armstrong Hammer on Sun Jan 24, 2010 at 12:06:08 AM EST

and become a millionaire or something. I will buy Kuro5hin and Scoop from Rusty. Pay open source developers to do a complete and total rewrite and a conversion script to convert data to the new system. I'd be a rich idiot, but I'd pay open source developers who know what they are doing to make Scoop upgrade to Python or Ruby and become better and work with modern web servers and use Bugzilla to track bugs, and have suggestion boxes for wish lists of features to add and have developers add in those features when they have the free time.

It will have a better system to deal with trolls, spammers, page wideners, and other crap. Plus I'll have money to pay admins and editors to crack down on abuse and make this web site outshine Slashdot and DailyKos.

If someone wants to go toe to toe with my admins, I'll have lawyers on retainers to deal with them and track them down via IP address. In order to create an account it will require personal info, to be verified by admins and editors, and it will be free and the $5 wall will be gone. If the user burns us we use the personal info to sue them for breach of contract in the TOS they agreed to.

There will be a section for people who want to pay $5 to get a story published but it won't be on the front page or section stories, it will be a special area that only paid stories get listed, but still searchable via Google. If a story gets rejected by users, writer can pay $5 to move story to paid section. Paid section will have disclaimer that writers paid to have story listed. Kuro5hin might also publish eBooks for users and collect money for downloading them after Kuro5hin takes money off the top and then credits their Paypal account. Users can tip writers using Paypal as well if they find their stories or diaries useful.

No more zero bombing only admins and editors can zero rate, but users can still report abuse. Users can still rate 1-3, write comments and diaries. Users can pay $5/month to remove the three diary per day limit, etc.

If those ideas won't work, I will change them to those who do work.

Learn about the true liberal agenda in the United States of America.

No. No you won't. (none / 0) (#33)
by A Bore on Fri Feb 05, 2010 at 06:12:14 PM EST

If you ever make it big time you'll 1)have forgotten about the existence of k5 and 2) wouldn't waste the cash anyway.

Anyway, if I were ever accidentally caught in some ancient machine created by alien visitors in the past millenium, situated in an andean temple and operated by a strangely warm stone artifact with a number of puzzling symbols upon it incorporating several runic forms of geographically diverse and unconnected early human civilisations, I STILL WOULDN'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT the K5 page widening problem.

I'd just be like "ARRRRRGHHH. SHIIIIIIT. WUUUUUUUUU"

Then my perception would be turned inside out, I would gain a perspective of the whole organic "time worm" stretching from past to future of which my conscious is only one flitting single entity normally, and I still wouldn't give a shit about the page widening problem, even though it would be trivial to navigate thereof into a future in which anyone page widening on kurofin would instantly and coincidentally get a brain embolism and die with their head on their keyboard, uselessly filling a comment box with "WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW"

So, what you are saying, (none / 0) (#34)
by k31 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 at 11:22:18 AM EST

is that you like nico nico, ne?

Your dollar is you only Word, the wrath of it your only fear. He who has an EAR to hear....
JESUS (none / 0) (#32)
by The Hanged Man on Thu Jan 28, 2010 at 05:13:08 PM EST

-------------

Dificile est saturam non scribere - Juvenal
Tweaking K5 | 34 comments (33 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)