What Really Killed K5

By GrandWazoo in Meta
Fri May 21, 2010 at 02:32:31 PM EST
Tags: meta (all tags)

After a 10 year run (far too long in Internet time) K5 isn't exactly a thriving, vibrant site. Despite what many think, K5 was not a victim of it's own trolls that's only a symptom. No, what really did it in are sites like Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Digg and weblogs, otherwise known as the newest buzzword--social media.

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad
Seriously, social media are much more appealing to most people especially those below the age of 25. News sites like K5 once was, slashdot, and a few others became replaced by Twitter, Facebook and any number of others. Traditional news sites are for the most part old school as far as the Internet is concerned. Even these old school sites are trying to hang on by displaying Twitter and Facebook links on their web page. Heaped on top of this is the fact that smartphones make the social media sites more accessible than the "old school" sites. No one has ever asked me if I have a K5 account but nearly everyone asks me if I have a Twitter or Facebook account. That's where they are headed and have been for at least three years...exactly when K5 begin to slowly plummet in page views. When you think about it it makes sense.

Reading a K5 story or diary is horrible on a smartphone. Not only that (with exceptions in The Diary Section) if a story is longer than 128 characters not a lot of people are going to read it. I can't remember if K5 EVER posted a 128 character story. That's not the purpose of K5. Even so, most users don't want to be bothered unless the item is something compelling and they actually want to read more. But generally, they don't.

Even a busy Twitter or Facebook account gets unmanageable and chaotic. If you have lots of friends Twittering crap, then stuff can scroll off and you never knew it existed. So then you have to search Twitter or simply not worry about it. Most of those that don't get Twitter or Facebook or any other social media site still hang around the old sites proclaiming that they don't get what all the fuss is about or even what the appeal is.

If contributors leave a site that too is a slow death spiral. Contributors will always contribute but now it's to their own personal blogs that are driven by their own Twitter or Facebook accounts. Success means that at best someone will find something of interest on your Twitter or Facebook feeds and maybe they will go your web site or weblog and read something. At worst, like most weblogs, they become abandoned. That's exactly what most contributors worth reading more than once have done. But in order to keep a readership you have to waste a horrible amount of time twittering and adding fresh content to your weblog. Most people don't have the energy, time or money to keep the pace up and even if they could it's simply not worth the effort. Only if you strive to make a living with your weblog, Twitter or Facebook account is it even worth attempting.

If you look at the K5 page there is not a lot of interesting content worth spending the time to read UNLESS you frequent the site quite a bit and are a member. Of course comments are particularly incestuous since only members can participate. What "Gating" K5 really means is; old members are grandfathered in, you can come and play as long as you don't break the "be nice" rule and if you DO break the "be nice" rule it'll cost you $5 to come back and play. It doesn't matter if you get new members to join or not because the alternative is constant site moderation. There's no cost/benefit to that because the cost of constantly monitoring the site is considerably more than $5.

So if you are a site that is not particularly specialized or narrowly focused you're probably dying on the vine. I wouldn't be surprised one day to find it in archive mode. But I'm sticking around K5 to see how the social experiment will end.

o Slashdot
o Also by GrandWazoo

What Really Killed K5 | 106 comments (96 topical, 10 editorial, 0 hidden)
interesting but you don't answer the question (2.87 / 8) (#2)
by king of fools on Tue May 18, 2010 at 11:30:17 PM EST

what happened to all the old members? You sort of just dismiss the troll effect out of hand.

----------------

fade out again

the old members (1.42 / 7) (#3)
by GrandWazoo on Tue May 18, 2010 at 11:53:39 PM EST

moved on to places like reddit, digg, facebook twitter. Then once old members and contributors leave what's left? trolls trolling each other.

Nobody has been trolled for like 5 years. (3.00 / 16) (#6)
by TDS on Wed May 19, 2010 at 05:02:17 AM EST

This is more of a consensual arrangement, albeit with no safe words.

And when we die, we will die with our hands unbound. This is why we fight.
facebook? really? is there anyone on that (3.00 / 6) (#7)
by Morally Inflexible on Wed May 19, 2010 at 05:37:28 AM EST

with an IQ over 110?  really?

You're a fucking faggot $ (2.25 / 4) (#9)
by schlouse on Wed May 19, 2010 at 08:06:25 AM EST

dalse dichotomy (3.00 / 7) (#11)
by Zombie Schrodingers Cat on Wed May 19, 2010 at 08:45:15 AM EST

you can still be a part of more than one community at once.

I have facebook for keeping in touch with real life friends, and I have k5 for trolling strangers.

The value of K5 is I can express any opinion (even opinions I don't really subscribe to) no matter how politically incorrect. On facebook I gotta be a little more careful since I don't want to scare off the women on my friends list.

Pentashagon likes this. (3.00 / 4) (#20)
by Pentashagon on Wed May 19, 2010 at 05:13:06 PM EST

3 other people also like this comment.

Yes! You can say what you think... (1.66 / 3) (#52)
by claes on Sat May 22, 2010 at 05:35:38 PM EST

and unless it's bats**t crazy someone may agree with you. For a lot of us, in real life, keeping our mouth shut is a deeply ingrained survival strategy. Ok, it helps us all function together. There is really nothing to be gained from me screaming "HOW CAN YOU BE SO FUCKING STUPID" at the project manager. It isn't his fault he hasn't the slightest grasp of how a network works. It isn't his job. His job is to deal with the idiot customer and their idiot paper work so I don't call THEM idiots.

Wrong-o. (none / 0) (#68)
by pb on Thu May 27, 2010 at 01:36:07 AM EST

Still doesn't address why they left. Hint: no, it wasn't social media -- it's the content, stupid. Which still sucks, along with the queue now, obviously.

-- one of those members
-- pwhysall

I agree *en tea* (none / 0) (#74)
by OriginalGTT on Sun Jun 06, 2010 at 09:20:37 PM EST

I'm NOT on your level. Stay there, and I will stay up here where morals are high, and the air is sweet
--Psychologist
I kept accurate count (1.83 / 6) (#39)
by Aries Blastar on Thu May 20, 2010 at 11:38:01 AM EST

What happened to the old K5 users:

15% of them got trolled so much they killed themselves like Mindpixel.

12% Got trolled so hard that they had a heart attack and died.

8% Tried to write fiction stories but got trolled off the site and went to Wikipedia and Wikibooks and now write on them and got a few books published.

15% Got anonymized by pwhysall aka Peter Whysall after his anger management problems made him pissed off on anyone he didn't like and anonymized them because he didn't like them and was biased against him. Crawford wrote a story to the story queue about collecting money to get Oeter Whysall laid in The Netherlands where prositution is legal and Peter can some as much pot as he needed to do. So being the tyrant that he was, he anonymized Crawford's account but Rusty over ruled Peter and claimed he was abusing his admin powers for his own personal vandetta. Rusty brought some of the accounts Peter unfairly anonymized back but not all of them. By the way Peter Whysall is gay which is why he got so offended to be offered sex with a female prostitute in The Netherlands, but many that got anonymized never came back.

25% of them got tired of trolls ruining K5 and moved on to Husi instead prompting the ------->Husi troll memes.

20% Left after the $5 wall was made and it pissed them off.

5% are recovering in a mental ward for being trolled so hard that they cannot function in the real world anymore.

The words of this post and related diaries are purely fictional and a parody and joke. The words should not be taken seriously by anyone. By reading this EULA you agree not to sue the writer in any criminal or civil court in the world.

I <3 Orion Blastar = (none / 1) (#76)
by CodeWright on Mon Jun 07, 2010 at 04:06:26 PM EST

A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb? --clover_kicker

I'm Here (none / 0) (#98)
by scorpion on Mon Sep 27, 2010 at 02:21:55 PM EST

I've been around for a long time and enjoy reading the articles about K5 becoming dead!!!!
How many years now???

thank you for this moving tribute (none / 0) (#100)
by aphasia on Mon Mar 07, 2011 at 11:04:09 PM EST

en tea

"You have *huge* brass balls. Tex would be jealous." --ti dave

Blorp (none / 0) (#50)
by Canar on Fri May 21, 2010 at 09:59:24 PM EST

I'm still here, but I rarely post. I'm not a particularly active member, but I've been around forever.

Yeah, me too. [nt] (none / 0) (#56)
by Mr. Penguin on Sun May 23, 2010 at 07:02:18 PM EST

Ditto (none / 0) (#69)
by Safety Cap on Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 01:48:07 PM EST

I used to post a fair amount years and years ago, but really could care less. I only really come back here when I get an email notification that something new has been posted.

I think what really killed this community were several things:

1. Trolls
  2. Rusty turning off the new user registration
  3. $5 paywall
  4. Massive amounts of "Broken Windows"
  5. Many users' giving up hope

Same here... (none / 1) (#88)
by taiwanjohn on Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 12:51:42 PM EST

Actually, this happens to be the first time I've logged in here since... I don't even know... probably 4 or 5 years, at least.

And now that I have, it seems that my entire history on this site has been lost. (The "Your Stories" and "Your Comments" links show empty results lists.)

I don't remember any deliberate decision to "boycott" K5, I think I just got involved with other things.

Hm... actually, I do remember something now. Ironically it was due to a comment on a K5 story that I discovered the whole "seduction community" (David DeAngelo, Ross Jeffries, et al) and I guess I just switched over to geeking-out on that stuff instead.

So, in a very roundabout way, I guess you could say that K5 got me laid...  Hehe, thanks K5! ;-)

Anyway, now that I've logged in again, I'm sorry to read about K5's demise. I hope these reports are, as Mr. Twain put it, exaggerated.

Re-lurking now...

--jrd

Forever? (none / 0) (#70)
by BJH on Fri Jun 04, 2010 at 02:57:45 AM EST

*Ahem*
Roses are red, violets are blue.
I'm schizophrenic, and so am I.
-- Oscar Levant

And ever. (none / 1) (#77)
by CodeWright on Mon Jun 07, 2010 at 04:07:18 PM EST

* Ahem *

A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb? --clover_kicker

Hello (none / 0) (#66)
by xmnemonic on Wed May 26, 2010 at 02:14:33 AM EST

Right here, friend.

Lurk more (2.71 / 7) (#4)
by Nimey on Wed May 19, 2010 at 12:21:32 AM EST

Never mind, it was just the dog cumming -- jandev
You Sir, are an Ignorant Motherfucker. -- Crawford
I am arguably too manic to do that. -- Crawford
I already fuck my mother -- trane
Nimey is right -- Blastard
i am in complete agreement with Nimey -- i am a pretty big deal

FORGIVE ME IF I DON'T SALUTE GRAND WIZARD (2.83 / 12) (#5)
by Ruston Rustov on Wed May 19, 2010 at 01:16:07 AM EST

I had had incurable open sores all over my feet for sixteen years. The doctors were powerless to do anything about it. I told my psychiatrist that they were psychosomatic Stigmata - the Stigmata are the wounds Jesus suffered when he was nailed to the cross. Three days later all my sores were gone. -- Michael Crawford
Maybe tomorrow. -- Michael Crawford
As soon as she has her first period, fuck your daughter. -- localroger

K5 just has a very limited demographic (2.90 / 10) (#12)
by Zombie Schrodingers Cat on Wed May 19, 2010 at 08:54:43 AM EST

you have to be reasonably intelligent, but not sensitive and full of yourself.

Many of the husis were intelligent but way to sensitive. OMG someone zero'd one of my comments and called me a faggit. Thats it I'm leaving.

And we aren't getting new people because of the 5 dolla paywall.

So we lost the husis and we're losing people from attrition (trhurler). No one new is coming in because of the paywall. I don't think facebook and twitter have much to do with it.

It also helps to be batshit insane. $ (3.00 / 4) (#21)
by Pentashagon on Wed May 19, 2010 at 05:16:05 PM EST

Hey! (none / 0) (#27)
by Horseface Killah on Thu May 20, 2010 at 12:10:30 AM EST

I'm not batshit insane!

Oh course not (1.00 / 3) (#28)
by Aries Blastar on Thu May 20, 2010 at 12:54:57 AM EST

you clearly are not batshit insane. You are more of the Tom Cruise level of insane and moving very fast to the Adolf Hitler or Joesph Stalin level of insanity. But even if you not reach those levels you can still be a Bill Clinton or George W. Bush level of insane.

Me, I am more of an Albert Einstein and Dr. Frankenstein level of insanity with a bit of Loki and Vlad Tepes level of insanity thrown in.

too bad... (none / 0) (#78)
by CodeWright on Mon Jun 07, 2010 at 04:09:34 PM EST

You're not Rogerborg, la princessa, or k5arp insane.

A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb? --clover_kicker

K5 has a tide (none / 1) (#13)
by GhostOfTiber on Wed May 19, 2010 at 10:10:12 AM EST

The old members know K5 has a tide. I would say the $5 barrier to entry has kept out the new users but this isn't true.

[Nimey's] wife's ass is my cocksheath. - undermyne

next high tide (none / 1) (#51)
by adiffer on Sat May 22, 2010 at 02:23:56 AM EST

So when is the next high tide scheduled?

All I've learned since coming back around is a crash course in the art of the insult.  8)
-Dream Big. --Grow Up.

k5 has a slow downward spiral [nt] (3.00 / 2) (#84)
by Entendre Entendre on Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 04:57:40 AM EST

I haven't been here in years, it's kinda funny that this was the first thing on the front page today.

It's sort of funny to see people arguing about whether it was the profusion of trolls, or the lack of new content, or the lack of new members.  I've always thought that all three went hand-in-hand.  It was pretty cool when I got here, but over time the signal-to-noise ratio dropped to a point where I didn't want to be posting with an account tied to my IRL identity (this isn't my first account) and then it got so bad that I just lost interest.  It's not the lack of good stuff, it's not the profusion of worthless crap, it's the ratio.

The interesting question (IMO anyway) is whether something like K5 could ever be sustainable.  Or is K5 just proof that a general-interest community site will, if it gets popular enough, inevitably be overrun by trolls and idiots, until a substantial portion of the people who popularized it find it unbearable.  Does there exist a form of moderation that could prevent that from happening?  Comments on youtube suggest that this is a staggering challenge.

It was fun while it lasted, but I have way more fun on more focused sites, where most people have some incentive to not be completely worthless.

Reduce firearm violence: aim carefully.

It was the last that remained of a past (2.50 / 4) (#14)
by DK4 Bloo on Wed May 19, 2010 at 10:49:13 AM EST

whose annihilation had not taken place because it was still in a process of annihilation, consuming itself from within, ending at every moment but never ending its ending.

So, you're saying we are the cat in the box so-to- (none / 0) (#17)
by tdillo on Wed May 19, 2010 at 03:27:18 PM EST

speak and only awaiting observation to determine our fate.

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

a hurricane rips the servers apart (3.00 / 2) (#18)
by DK4 Bloo on Wed May 19, 2010 at 04:05:03 PM EST

the brothers miss each other but don't know where to put that feeling, so they bury it.

NIGGA YOU DUMB (1.62 / 8) (#19)
by zombie lonelyhobo on Wed May 19, 2010 at 04:23:16 PM EST

I REALLY CARE ABOUT YOUR STUPID FUCKING OPINION
NIGGA YOU DUMB
There's some truth in your argument (2.50 / 4) (#22)
by imon2nd on Wed May 19, 2010 at 07:10:11 PM EST

Wazoo;

Yes, Facebook and Twitter have a lot of users and the rise of blogs factors in, too. The $5 pay wall is a problem as well. I paid the money out of sympathy for the "old" K5 and found the place was a shell of its former self. Not to mention the fuck-you barrier to posting articles.  I'm surprised this site still functions at all.

Good luck getting this article voted in.

Cheers,

Dave

thanks but it very unlikely... (none / 0) (#24)
by GrandWazoo on Wed May 19, 2010 at 08:57:00 PM EST

that it will post.

i did it for the lulz mainly

-1 I STOPPED READING AFTER 128 CHARACTERS (2.93 / 15) (#26)
by jxg on Wed May 19, 2010 at 09:14:44 PM EST

FATAL: BUFFER OVERFLOW (3.00 / 6) (#33)
by I Did It All For The Horse Cock on Thu May 20, 2010 at 04:56:24 AM EST

\\\
  \ \        ^.^._______  This comment brought to you by the penis-nosed fox!
    \\______/_________|_)
    / /    \ \
    \_\_    \ \

Yeah that is what happens (1.20 / 5) (#46)
by Aries Blastar on Thu May 20, 2010 at 11:24:13 PM EST

when you use the Timex/Sinclare 1000 system with 1K of RAM for $100 at a super market. It uses any cassette player for loading and saving programs. Any black and white TV set will do but using a color TV will still only show B&W. The $35 16K expansion was neat but sometimes it lost connection because the plug-in port was poorly designed.

The USA refused such things and bought Atari 800 and Commodore 64 systems instead. But in the UK the Sinclare systems evolved from the TS1000 into the Sinclare Spectrum and it was the only PC that ran BBC sponsored video games like "Doctor Who", "Blake's Seven", "Red Dwarf", "The Prisoner" and the Monty Python games.

In the UK Sir Sinclare got knighted by the Queen, in the USA Sinclare got his butt kicked and sent back to the USA with his computers shoved up his butt.

what do u mean u forgot the chicken nuggets (2.86 / 15) (#30)
by Jobst of Moravia on Thu May 20, 2010 at 01:25:39 AM EST

__
   .,-;-;-,. /'_\ ---Did this Negro say "Street Moor"?
 _/_/_/_|_\_\) /
'-<_><_><_><_>=\
 `/_/====/_/-'\_\
  ""     ""    ""

if i had dupes... (none / 0) (#38)
by jolt rush soon on Thu May 20, 2010 at 10:19:45 AM EST

i would mod this up with all of them.
Subosc — free electronic music.
social media killed k5? (2.50 / 2) (#31)
by mirko on Thu May 20, 2010 at 02:40:17 AM EST

well, my generation died with it, we're now net zombies and quite happy to haunt that place.
Finally I managed to make the decision that I would work on it. - MDC
we had to huddle together - trane
you are massively gay (2.66 / 6) (#34)
by I Did It All For The Horse Cock on Thu May 20, 2010 at 04:58:52 AM EST

\\\
  \ \        ^.^._______  This comment brought to you by the penis-nosed fox!
    \\______/_________|_)
    / /    \ \
    \_\_    \ \

I TOO AM A VICTIM OF MARK CUBAN (2.50 / 4) (#36)
by Enlarged to Show Texture on Thu May 20, 2010 at 08:47:35 AM EST

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -- Isaac Asimov
Mark Cuban : You (none / 0) (#40)
by Ruston Rustov on Thu May 20, 2010 at 11:56:32 AM EST

:: Every other NBA team : the Mavericks

Maybe tomorrow. -- Michael Crawford
As soon as she has her first period, fuck your daughter. -- localroger

(3), thanks (none / 0) (#43)
by Enlarged to Show Texture on Thu May 20, 2010 at 02:43:35 PM EST

A guy could do a lot worse than division champion & the 3rd best record in the league...like the former senator from Mankato and his team...

WITH THIS VOTE (2.71 / 7) (#37)
by GhostOfTiber on Thu May 20, 2010 at 09:12:27 AM EST

I KILL K5.

[Nimey's] wife's ass is my cocksheath. - undermyne

ET TU GoT? (3.00 / 2) (#42)
by Pentashagon on Thu May 20, 2010 at 12:46:25 PM EST

it's true (2.75 / 8) (#41)
by LilDebbie on Thu May 20, 2010 at 12:03:30 PM EST

rusty actually posts to facebook. when was the last time you saw him post here?

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

Indeed (2.42 / 7) (#47)
by rusty on Fri May 21, 2010 at 09:13:34 AM EST

I agree with this completely.

____
Not the real rusty
You don't get sucked into facebook! (none / 0) (#48)
by xC0000005 on Fri May 21, 2010 at 02:45:43 PM EST

says the guy who posts on there from time to time. I see you and GoT are on there, and either L3j or LilDebbie (I don't recall which is which).

Voice of the Hive - Beekeeping and Bees for those who don't
your comment is being held for moderation (none / 1) (#65)
by nostalgiphile on Tue May 25, 2010 at 08:31:04 PM EST

by our non-existent mods. Thank you for your reply, we will get to your comment as soon as hell freezes over.

j1mmy for admin, 2010!!

"Depending on your perspective you are an optimist or a pessimist[,] and a hopeless one too." --trhurler

Facebook... (none / 1) (#79)
by CodeWright on Mon Jun 07, 2010 at 04:11:09 PM EST

...sucks goat-tit.

A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb? --clover_kicker

Makes sense to me (2.75 / 4) (#44)
by Timo Laine on Thu May 20, 2010 at 04:30:23 PM EST

Seeing that personally I've done more or less what you describe after I left K5, I have to agree.

Still, I don't know if this was inevitable or not. I don't think social media and blogs are in any meaningful sense "better" than K5. At least K5 could have continued to coexist with blogs and Facebook, but all the other problems here made it impossible in practice.

I am not talking about the trolls but the fact that there has not been for years any way for the users to have any say in how the site is run. (And I am not talking about making radical changes but mostly about giving the users at least an impression that this is in some sense "our" site.) And now Facebook seems to be dying because of exactly the same thing. I wonder what will come next.

Mark Zuckerberg just got busted by the SEC (1.20 / 5) (#45)
by Jonathan Swift on Thu May 20, 2010 at 10:53:20 PM EST

That's what happens to people who betray their own best friends for filthy mammon.

Profoundly impoverished is the Heart of the Man who possesseth not the Courage to mock Himself for His own Folly.

hey ! I'm still here! (2.00 / 4) (#49)
by /dev/trash on Fri May 21, 2010 at 05:44:19 PM EST

I am!

Updated 02/20/2004
New Site
your website is down $ (none / 0) (#64)
by Blarney on Tue May 25, 2010 at 06:09:09 PM EST

hackd by chinese (none / 0) (#73)
by /dev/trash on Sun Jun 06, 2010 at 04:25:58 PM EST

it will overcome thoguh

Updated 02/20/2004
New Site
What killed Kuro5hin for me (2.00 / 3) (#53)
by diego on Sun May 23, 2010 at 10:59:43 AM EST

In a state of disgusting earnestness I had once shown my Kuro5hin account (not this one, a different one) to a woman. Things were never quite the same between myself and her, may God forgive her timid little mind. Upon some reflection I decided I didn't want to be associated with your group any longer. I was also put off by the constant references to the mental illnesses of certain kuroshiites.

Unfortunately I continue to receive the weekly digests.

It sounds like you need better taste in women $ (none / 1) (#58)
by Pentashagon on Mon May 24, 2010 at 12:25:47 PM EST

Bullshit (2.66 / 3) (#54)
by Filip on Sun May 23, 2010 at 02:45:58 PM EST

Had this site actually had any content during the last 5 years, we would have posted links to the stuff on Facebook, digg, Twitter. Hell, we would even have reenacted the stuff and posted the films on Youtube!

The trolls never were the problem, that much is true. The general tiredness and navel gazing was.

The idea behind K5 is cool as long as new stuff, and new writers keep flowing in - but once that tide stopped the site was dead.

If I want technology and culture from the trenches, there are any number of blogs and websites that actually provide. That's where I go. And I bet that's where Rusty goes too...
-- I'm just a figment of your imagination.

That and the trolls... (3.00 / 3) (#55)
by skim123 on Sun May 23, 2010 at 05:04:33 PM EST

That certainly had something to do with it, but the trolls had an effect, too. There was a time when this site had some great content and equally stimulating discussions in the posts. Then the good writers left, the interesting commenters went away or went silent, and the trolls moved in. This site went from thought-provoking content to a bunch of crap and that's why k5 failed.

PT Barnum

Are you Filip Firefly? (none / 0) (#80)
by CodeWright on Mon Jun 07, 2010 at 04:11:59 PM EST

If so, your King needs you.

A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb? --clover_kicker

I heard it went like this (1.11 / 9) (#57)
by Aries Blastar on Sun May 23, 2010 at 10:33:53 PM EST

DISORDER IN KURO5HIN

Three Schizoaffective Stooges, 2010

Bailiff: [very fast] Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?

Witness: I do.

Prosecutor: What is your name?

Witness: Wampsawillion.

Prosecutor: What is your occupation?

Witness: I'm a dancer.

Prosecutor: On the night of February the 13th, were you working at the Black Bottom Cafe when this murder was committed?

Witness: Yes. But I didn't do it!

Prosecutor: Then who killed Kuro5hin?

Witness: I don't know.

Prosecutor: Did you kill Kuro5hin?

Defense: I object, Your Honor, and ask that the last question be stricken from the records! It is merely an attempt to influence this intelligent, broadminded, and most intellectual jury.

Judge Rusty Foster: Objection sustained.

Prosecutor: That is all.

[A parrot says something, apparently mimicking someone]

Defense: Quiet, Polly. If it please the court, Your Honor, at this time I would like to introduce my three main witnesses, Howard, Fine, and Howard. [audience commotion] They were here a minute ago! Will you pardon me, Your Honor? I'll be right back!

* * * * * * * *

[Curly Howard is called a s a witness]

Defense: Would you please step forward? No, no, no, prepare yourself for the witness box!

Judge Rusty Foster: [pounds gavel] Take off your hat. Now raise your right hand. Now place your left hand here. [in order to do so, the hat goes back on his head] Take off your hat. Raise your right hand. Now put your left hand here. [Hat back on head] Please take off your hat. Raise your right hand! Now put your left hand here! Will you please take off your hat! Raise your right hand! Now put your left hand here! Take off your hat! Raise your right hand! Would you get rid of that hat!

Witness: Raise your right hand!

Judge Rusty Foster: Raise your right hand.

Witness: Huh?

Witness: Are you trying to give me the double talk?

Bailiff: [sigh] Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?

Defense: Why don't you answer him?

Witness: He's talkin' pig latin, I don't know what he's saying.

Defense: He's asking you if you swear--

Witness: No, but I know all the words.

Judge Rusty Foster: He's asking you if you'll swear to tell the truth.

Witness: Truth is stranger than fiction, judgie wudgie.

Judge Rusty Foster: Kindly address this court as Your Honor. And take the oath. [fast] Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?

Witness: Certainly. What have I got to lose?

Judge Rusty Foster: Take the stand.

Witness: Where do I put it?

Judge Rusty Foster: No, no, take the stand.

Witness: (picks up chair) I got it. Now what do I do with it?

Defense: Sit down!

[Curly does so, falls off the stand]

Moe: C'mon on. You're in a court, not in Clancy's poolroom. Sit down.

Witness: I'm a victim of circumstance!

Defense: Be quiet.

Judge Rusty Foster: Proceed with the case.

Prosecutor: Were you in the Black Bottom Cafe on the night of February the 13th?

Witness: Certainly.

Defense: Did you at that time see the defendant, Miss Wampsawillion, in any way, shape or form commit or try to commit bodily harm to the deceased Kuro5hin?

Prosecutor: I object, Your Honor! Counsel is trying to lead the witness!

Judge Rusty Foster: Objection sustained.

Defense: Mr. Howard, did you see Miss Wampsawillion in physical fight with Kuro5hin?

Prosecutor: If it pleases the court, may I suggest that counsel be instructed to allow the witness to testify to what he saw.

Voice from audience [first male voice from previous scene]: I say, jester, what comes after 75?

Another voice: 76. [chuckles]

Judge Rusty Foster: Request granted. Proceed with the testimony.

Defense: Mr. Howard, kindly tell the court what you know about the murder of Kuro5hin.

Witness: Well, it was like this, Mr. Court.

Defense: Address the Judge Rusty Foster as "Your Honor"!

Witness: Well, it was like this, My Honor.

Defense: "Your Honor", not "my honor"!

Witness: Why? Don't you like him?

Judge Rusty Foster: Allow the witness to proceed. The court understands him.

Witness: Thanks, Courtie, you're a pal. Well, me and my pals, we're musicians. We were tearin' up some hot swing music in the orchest'a. Gail over there was swingin' the fans. Her sweetie, Kuro5hin, was inhalin' a bottle of hooch at the table, and a hoofer by the name of Lostincali was gettin' ready to shake his tootsies.

Defense: Kindly speak English and drop the vernacular.

Witness: 'Nacular? That's a doiby!

Defense: Drop the vernacular! You know, not that. Talk so the jury can understand.

Witness: Is everybody dumb? Say, judgie, if you let me, my partner, and Wampsawillion kind of act it out for ya, we'll show ya just what happened.

Judge Rusty Foster: If counsel doesn't object, that's an excellent idea.

Prosecutor: No objections.

Defense: No objections.

Witness: No objections. Okay, Wampsawillion.

[Fiddle, horn, & harmonica music and sound of hoofing, then yelling & stomping around, simulated shooting, then someone says "I killed him!"]

Witness: Ohhh, a [tape unclear].

His friend: Stand back, it's liable to fight ya! Tarantula, shot five holes in the divot.

Other voice: [slaps him] Get outta here. Go on.

Witness's friend: Wasted five good slugs.

Burly voice: I'll sue you for this!

Witness's friend: Oh, superstitious, eh? Oh, [tape unclear].

Judge Rusty Foster: Gentlemen, you must control your killing instincts. Proceed with the testimony, please.

Defense: Proceed.

Witness: That was sure hot, Mo. Hey, Larry, listen.

[more music, and laughter]

Witness: You got it.

Judge Rusty Foster: Please omit the rest of the entertainment and continue.

Witness's friend: Now Wampsawillion's dance was over. I stuck my head in the office door, and I saw Kuro5hin and Lostincali arguin' over by the parrot cage.

Prosecutor: What were they arguing about?

Witness's friend: I don't know, but Lostincali was sizzling like a hot hamburger. He grabs Kuro5hin by the neck like that, see [grabs his friend, who makes funny noises as he acts out the scene] and drags him over to the letterpress, see, then he smacks him on the head like [sound effect], then he pokes his coconut into the letterpress, see, like that. Then he says, I'll squeeze the cider out of your Adam's apple. Then he gives him the works, like this. Then he keeps turnin', and twistin'. That, ladies and gentlemen, is [witness unwinds, makes all kinds of noises]--

Witness: What's the matter? You want to kill me?

Prosecutor: Why, it's preposterous. When the police broke into the office, they found this woman, the defendant, Wampsawillion, bending over the body of the murdered man with a revolver clutching in her hand.

Defense: Which only goes to prove that my client is innocent.

Prosecutor: Innocent?!

Defense: Exactly, and I'll prove it! Ladies and gentlemen, the action of this pistol is so hard, it would take the strength of a mule to pull the trigger. [to witness] Try it.

Witness: I'm no mule!

Witness's friend: Nah, your ears are too short.

Witness: Hm, hm, so I'm a mule.

Defense: Pull the trigger! Never fear, it's not loaded.

Defense: How could Wampsawillion's frail little finger pull the rusty trigger of that instrument of destruction?

Witness: See, there was nothin' in it. [gun fires]

Older woman's voice: Broadway 9972, after 5 o'clock.

Witness's friend: What'd you do with my boutonniere?

Defense: Give me that gun!

Witness: What happened? What happened?

Defense: Don't point that gun at me! [gun fires]

Witness's friend: Every man for himself, fellahs.

[Commotion]

Judge Rusty Foster: Order in this court.

[parrot says something]

Judge Rusty Foster: What does this parrot mean by "find the letter"?

Witness's friend: There's a whole pile of letters there. Looky here. [shuffles a pile of letters] Look! There's a note tied to the parrot's foot. C'mon, Polly, Polly, Polly, Polly! C'mon, Polly, Polly, Polly. C'mon, Polly, Polly, Polly, c'mon.

Witness: Ouch! Look out, here it comes.

[parrot noises]

Moe: Oh, my Stradivarius, my beautiful Stradivarius.

Larry: Grab your ear. C'mon.

Judge Rusty Foster: Order in the court.

Moe: How do we get him now?

Curly: Let's get some salt and put it on his tail.

Moe: That's no way to get a parrot. You gotta wet his feathers so he can't fly.

Curly: Oh, don't do nothin' till you hear from me.

Moe:C'mon, give me a hand. Wait a minute, hold it, what do you think...

[Things degenerate from here, involving a firehose]

Hi! I'm back from the dead (2.87 / 8) (#59)
by nebbish on Mon May 24, 2010 at 03:09:30 PM EST

I thought I'd chip in here and say that I sorely miss an intelligent community where I can post and receive criticism for my writing. There isn't really anywhere left on the internet to do that, and in its heyday K5 was the best for it. I don't discount the effect of social media, but also think K5 provided something apart from that. My theory? K5 just got tired. What was the last site reddesign, even just a cosmetic one? When was the last time something different was tried, apart from membership rules? You can't just stay stationary like that.

---------
Kicking someone in the head is like punching them in the foot - Bruce Lee

Lol it's been so long I've forgotten how to format (none / 0) (#60)
by nebbish on Mon May 24, 2010 at 03:10:22 PM EST

---------
Kicking someone in the head is like punching them in the foot - Bruce Lee

Not a problem (none / 1) (#61)
by Aries Blastar on Mon May 24, 2010 at 05:03:04 PM EST

thank you for your insights. I happen to agree with them.

Be sure to check out the Wikia Wiki sites or create your own Wiki there for free. Then write as many stories as you want and see if anyone else wants to peer review them.

P.S. The sparrows are flying again.

Thanks for the link (none / 0) (#62)
by nebbish on Tue May 25, 2010 at 11:26:49 AM EST

Very interesting, I may well join in

---------
Kicking someone in the head is like punching them in the foot - Bruce Lee

Hello sailor. (none / 0) (#67)
by TDS on Wed May 26, 2010 at 08:08:58 PM EST

Post it anyway.

And when we die, we will die with our hands unbound. This is why we fight.
Without wanting to sound clever (2.50 / 2) (#87)
by Big Dogs Cock on Mon Jul 05, 2010 at 07:26:19 PM EST

(or be clever)

It's the Internet Echo Chamber effect. People with certain opinions gather on sites with others with the same opinions. No need for any criticism - constructive or otherwise. Everywhere is polarized, there is nowhere for intelligent debate.

Until I get my site breakerisastupidselfishcunt.org running.
People say that anal sex is unhealthy. Well it cured my hiccups.

A lot of things killed it, but (3.00 / 5) (#63)
by localman on Tue May 25, 2010 at 05:11:29 PM EST

I think a big part of the facebook/twitter success is the selective community aspect.  That is, you build your own collection of people  so everyone commenting on your thoughts actually has something invested in communicating with you.

What was always striking to me about communities like k5 and slashdot is how you find yourself debating these faceless people, many of whom give no shit about anything you say and are just there to needle you, burn up time, or feed their own egos.  There's this holdover from the real world where one tends to feel that people saying things to you actually matter to you, and it's hard to let that go.  But online a significant number of people (far more than average at k5) don't bring their common decency online, so it creates a natural impedance mismatch.

After years debating the merits and methods of moderation, the solution seems to be to limit your friends/followers/whatever so that they actually do matter to you.  A million walled communities -- but walled by the center of each community.  And the communities overlap like a million venn diagrams.  Then moderation isn't really an issue.

Aside from that, the $5 fee is stupid and there is a diminishing attention span as there is more and more information to process.  I still come back because I got my account for free, and I've occasionally found good stuff here.  But yeah, it's dead by most metrics.

420 chars or less (none / 0) (#83)
by kpaul on Wed Jun 09, 2010 at 07:56:30 PM EST

k5 should be hip? i think the ascii guy leaving killed k5. the retrospective i did a while back was interesting. k5 was dying since the beginning. heh. someone should do another.
2014 Halloween Costumes
What really killed K5 (1.50 / 2) (#71)
by Spendocrat on Sun Jun 06, 2010 at 05:59:24 AM EST

The stories are boring, the trolls are boring. Remember when the trolls were clever? Not if you hang out here regularly these days, you don't.

I for one... (none / 0) (#72)
by achievingfluidity on Sun Jun 06, 2010 at 01:37:44 PM EST

remember how clever the trolls used to be here. like the article says it seems that by 2007 most but not all of the good contributors simply stopped contributing here.

ANNOY A LIBERAL USE FACTS AND LOGIC

The clever trolls (none / 0) (#75)
by TheReverend on Sun Jun 06, 2010 at 10:24:24 PM EST

Died with adequacy.org. That was a REALLY long time ago.

"Democratic voting is specifically about minority rights" --Infinitera
lol

They came here after adequacy... (none / 0) (#81)
by CodeWright on Mon Jun 07, 2010 at 04:13:07 PM EST

...but then the troll-trolls trolled the trolls to death. I'm sorry.

A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb? --clover_kicker

Better late than never I suppose... (none / 0) (#99)
by Phillip Asheo on Sun Mar 06, 2011 at 09:47:21 PM EST

But in keeping with the title I don't check in here all that often.

You might want to check out christwire.org if you pine for the old days of adequacy.org. I noticed a certain similarity in the writing styles of some of the contributors. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are ex-adequacy...

"Never say what you can grunt. Never grunt what you can wink. Never wink what you can nod, never nod what you can shrug, and don't shrug when it ain't necessary"
-Earl Long

k5 is teh deadz? (none / 1) (#82)
by kpaul on Wed Jun 09, 2010 at 07:54:53 PM EST

no pulse...
2014 Halloween Costumes
is kpaul a nigger? (3.00 / 2) (#85)
by mongles on Fri Jun 11, 2010 at 05:08:46 AM EST

Actually, 'trolls' were the main problem. (3.00 / 10) (#86)
by Graeme Rasputin on Thu Jun 17, 2010 at 02:09:30 PM EST

But really, it was the foolish belief of the site's founder in some sort of internet perpetual motion machine. The idea of the site was very simple: If you give a bunch of random people on the internet a very rudimentary publishing platform with a commenting system, they will provide content for a website forever (or more than, say, three years).

A moment's reflection shows this is a completely stupid idea. The founder seemed to recognize in the beginning that he would need to turn the crank by writing articles to get it going, but somehow he thought that after a while, it would take no further effort to keep it going. Hence, almost no effort was made to control problem users, even as the people he thought would magically sustain the site fled in droves and at no point did he recognize that in order to operate successfully, the userbase would need, at minimum, real facilities for handling users whose primary contributions were spamming and harassing other users.

You can't get something for nothing. If you want to run a successful website, it takes constant effort either in the form of content production, as you see from successful bloggers, or administration and technical adaptation to address the problems inherent in letting random people post on your site, to wit that some of them will make a hobby of fucking up your site. Rusty thought he could get away doing neither. Unsurprisingly, this did not work out.

What Really Killed K5 (2.66 / 6) (#89)
by circletimessquare on Sun Jul 11, 2010 at 10:06:57 PM EST

i did

give me my props, you fucking twatstains

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Is it really dead? (1.50 / 2) (#90)
by eSolutions on Fri Jul 16, 2010 at 01:24:49 AM EST

Surely the fetus fears its own birth. And when it is born, what is the substance of its life? The memories of a lonely uterus.

So it is with KuroShin. Its current awful diminished retardity hides its union with the infinite. Fed up with it, we allow ourselves to browse other web sites. Thus it has transcended, becoming the entire Internet, every other site, through its very diminishment.

He who has nostrils, let him smell!

Yours in Christ,
eSolutions

Holy crap. May I just add... (none / 0) (#91)
by eSolutions on Fri Jul 16, 2010 at 01:41:31 AM EST

...that I literally prophesied all of this, EXACTLY, back in 2004, at this comment, in the form of riddle-theater.

My words are so simple, so easy to follow. Yet no one in the world understands or follows them.

He who has a tongue, let him taste!

Yours in Christ,
eSolutions

A few cents from a long ago (2.50 / 2) (#92)
by BloodmoonACK on Mon Aug 02, 2010 at 09:05:36 PM EST

While trying to avoid doing work I thought, why not go back to K5?  It's been a while!  I'm actually shocked that I can still log into my account.  I mean, my last comment was in 2003, I think.

Anyway, here's my two cents: it got displaced, the quality fell, and the number of trolls increased.  It's really just a repetition of what happens with every social media site.

Anyway, here's the chronology of websites as I see it:

Slashdot -> Everything2 -> K5 -> Digg/reddit -> Metafilter -> ???

I'm sure I'm missing some sites here, but there ya go.  Each one starts as a bastion of interesting, intelligent commentary.  As time goes on, more generic stories get posted, leading to more generic users.  Or vice versa.  In any event, as content gets more watered-down, people leave for better stomping grounds.  Anyone remember when reddit was actually filled with intelligent articles, long, detailed discussions on the latest article from Foreign Affairs?  Yeah, it hasn't been like that in a long time.

Really, the current spiritual heir to K5 seems to be Metafilter, and even that has slowly gotten less interesting.  I'm ready to pack my bags there for the next interesting watering hole.  I just don't know where it is yet.

But I'm glad people are still on K5!  I still wear my "Media Whore" K5 shirt from time to time.  Keep on rockin', guys.

"It's like declaring a 'war on crime' and then claiming every (accused) thief is an 'enemy combatant'." - Hizonner

Hardly (2.00 / 2) (#93)
by livus on Sat Aug 07, 2010 at 01:40:27 AM EST

my facebook friends are way too light on the goatse.

I'm pretty sure the twitter demographic is mainly grandparents and young girls who want to read "celebrity" "tweets". It may be a secondary cause for the death of livejournal, though.

Finally - "No one has ever asked me if I have a K5 account". Good god man, would you really like it if that happened at the watercooler?

And where have I been? At first I was busy, and then I accidentally locked myself out of this account.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

the past isn't very 20:20 is it (none / 1) (#94)
by Prophet themusicgod1 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 at 01:32:03 AM EST

I call historical revisionism -- K5 was dead before most of the current wave of social networking websites even started.
"I suspect the best way to deal with procrastination is to put off the procrastination itself until later. I've been meaning to try this, but haven't gotten around to it yet."swr
Totally Agree!!! (none / 0) (#95)
by dakini on Thu Sep 09, 2010 at 06:40:39 AM EST

" May your vision be clear, your heart strong, and may you always follow your dreams."
The site just got really weird and I lost interest (none / 1) (#96)
by evro on Sat Sep 25, 2010 at 11:29:16 PM EST

The site just got really weird and I lost interest in it.  It started being a sort of collection of weird essays from what I remember, and I tried to like it, but I just lost interest.  I forgot it existed for several years until just now.
"Asking me who to follow -- don't ask me, I don't know!"
This Reddit comment reminded me of K5 (none / 1) (#97)
by walk on Sun Sep 26, 2010 at 11:29:37 PM EST

http://www.reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/dj10c/i_feel_like_giving_up /c10k523

I miss its spirit elsewhere on the web.
"Walker, there is no road, the road is made by walking"
- Spanish poet Machado exiled by General Franco

You know, a while ago (none / 0) (#101)
by SoupIsGoodFood on Sat Mar 19, 2011 at 08:45:57 AM EST

I was exploring the rock pools of Port Nicholson. I came across a motionless fish lying besides someone's fishing gear. I looked at it for a few seconds and concluded it was dead. Then it twitched.

Just nerves, I guess.

TWITCH

That is deep (none / 0) (#102)
by Pnarp on Thu Mar 31, 2011 at 03:37:37 AM EST

That is the deepest comment I have ever read on K5. It even made me twitch. (What does that mean, by the way?)

∼ Phillip Norbert Årp
Powered by the love of the voluptuous insect goddess, Strahazazhia Kalamazoo-Kintaki-Meeps, She of the six-legged delights.

✿✿✿ Pnårp’s docile & perfunctory page! ✿✿✿
   ❝It’s docile! It’s perfunctory! It’s phlogistically fantastical! But… is it one of those blog things?❞
    All wrights preserved. No purchase estuary. Lawn gnomes not included. You won’t be disconcerted. Deployed where prohibited by snore.

❤   Pnårp learned this week that the world was still here. Will it ever end?

[ Current entry | Random entry ]
Reeeaaal deep... (none / 0) (#103)
by SoupIsGoodFood on Fri Apr 01, 2011 at 03:06:08 AM EST

Google says: 1. Give or cause to give a short, sudden jerking or convulsive movement.

[Warning: This comment may cause cancer.] (none / 0) (#104)
by Pnarp on Fri Apr 01, 2011 at 04:15:13 AM EST

Google says a lot of things. Some of them are even right. But then again my old ceiling-mounted alarm clock is right sometimes, too. About twice a day. Funny, that.

You know what else is funny? Clowns. And squirrels.

P.S.: This comment has nothing to do with squirrels. You didn't see that last sentence.

∼ Phillip Norbert Årp

✿✿✿ Pnårp’s docile & perfunctory page! ✿✿✿

❤   Pnårp learned this week that the world was still here. Will it ever end?

[ Current entry | Random entry ]
What do you think it means? $ (none / 0) (#105)
by SoupIsGoodFood on Fri Apr 01, 2011 at 04:39:05 AM EST

[This post is known to the State of California...] (none / 0) (#106)
by Pnarp on Fri Apr 01, 2011 at 10:55:57 PM EST

I think it means it's time for me to pack it in and head for that big northern California in the sky.

P.S.: This post refrains from mentioning squirrels completely, but has a great deal to do with them! Your mission: To find out how!

∼ Phillip Norbert Årp

✿✿✿ Pnårp’s docile & perfunctory page! ✿✿✿

❤   Pnårp learned this week that the world was still here. Will it ever end?

[ Current entry | Random entry ]
What Really Killed K5 | 106 comments (96 topical, 10 editorial, 0 hidden)