C++ political joke

By cwong in MLP
Mon Oct 16, 2000 at 01:18:31 AM EST
Tags: Politics (all tags)
Politics

It might be a sign of C++'s maturity that humorists think it an appropriate medium for a political joke. What is remarkable about the Al Gore Program is implicit: notice the originating web site. This is not a techie web site, yet they seem to think their audience will comprehend the C++ equivalent of a political cartoon. Unfortunately, C++ syntax does not transfer to HTML well. If you look at the page source, you will see that the first #include statement actually includes gore.h.

o Al Gore Program
o Also by cwong

C++ political joke | 10 comments (7 topical, 3 editorial, 0 hidden)
a subtle distinction.... (4.00 / 7) (#1)
by washort on Sat Oct 14, 2000 at 02:49:00 AM EST

This is a sign of C++'s popularity, not its maturity. :)

Popular as it may be, it's still ugly (3.50 / 6) (#2)
by chaotic42 on Sat Oct 14, 2000 at 06:25:54 AM EST

I mean, good lord. Without getting into whether or not it's a good language, it's still a hideous _looking_ language. It doesn't 'flow'. :ick:

this piece of code especially (3.00 / 2) (#3)
by boxed on Sat Oct 14, 2000 at 09:57:02 AM EST

This is some extremely ugly C++ code if you ask me, and baldy converted to html too.

C++ (4.00 / 2) (#7)
by end0parasite on Sun Oct 15, 2000 at 01:35:19 AM EST

I think C++ looks wonderfully delicious. I think it all depends on your IDE, though. :)

Some kind of milestone ? (3.40 / 5) (#6)
by tadas on Sun Oct 15, 2000 at 12:56:46 AM EST

I just voted to post on the front page.

The folks who were commenting about the ugliness of the code or the C++ language (I tend to agree, but then again, what little programming I do these days tends to be in perl, so who am I to talk), or the sophomoric nature of the joke (agreed) are missing why cwong wanted to bring this to our attention --

It's not on a geek site, it's on the website of the National Review, a journal dedicated to conservative politics - a magazine that was founded by William F. Buckley (and I wonder what *he* thinks about this item).

In other words, the author and the online editors thought that the N.R.'s audience, which has to be predominently non-programmers, would know enough about programming languages to get the joke.

Remember back in the early mid-90's when you saw the first URL in an ad for a non-geek product? I think that cwong proposes that this is maybe the same kind of thing. I tend to disagree with him on that, but I thank him/her for calling it to my attention, and I think it's something that the general K5 populace would be interested in seeing.

If I were going to do something along those lines, I'd have done it in VBA, which more of the target audience would be familair with.

I have to ask (5.00 / 1) (#8)
by End on Sun Oct 15, 2000 at 09:04:52 PM EST

Since people are complaining that C++ is not the most poetic way of expressing the joke,

How about a Perl version?

-JD

Funnyha (none / 0) (#10)
by Stinking Pig on Mon Oct 16, 2000 at 12:52:08 AM EST

I usually ruthlessly vote down link submissions, but this one is funny enough to deserve some ruth.

Pushy punk pork prole.
C++ political joke | 10 comments (7 topical, 3 editorial, 0 hidden)