Tired of vaccine shots?

By skim123 in MLP
Mon Oct 16, 2000 at 07:56:00 AM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

We've all (most likely) had various vaccinations delivered by those painful shots in the butt or the arm. Well, those days are over. According to this article, scientists have developed a "shampoo vaccine." I'll take a bottle of Head & Shoulders and a bottle of Mumps-Be-Gone Conditioner.

According to the article, the skin usually doesn't allow vaccines to normally be absorbed... but some clever doctors have created a virus that, when bound with the vaccine, can pass on through the skin. (I wonder how safe this is... having such a virus and all...)

Anyway, I thought I'd leave you with coolest quote I've read in an article in sometime: "The skin is not just a sack to prevent your organs falling on the floor." Tee hee!

Your skin is...
o NOT just a sack to prevent your organs falling on the floor 27%
o Nothing but a sack to prevent your organs falling on the floor 27%
o Part sack, part not sack 45%

o this article
o Also by skim123

Tired of vaccine shots? | 9 comments (9 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Needles? Already not strictly necessary. (3.40 / 5) (#1)
by bgalehouse on Mon Oct 16, 2000 at 02:36:02 AM EST

Some vaccines can be given with a high pressure injector. Needles are not strictly required. Very popular when bringing vaccines to third world countries. The device looks like a large metal water pistol. Star Trek hypospray theory.

IIRC, besides being more work to set up (not worth it for a single injection), the problem with the gun is that the physical entry can be a bit hard on the vaccine, making it less effective.

Secondary side effect (none / 0) (#5)
by Midnight Ryder on Mon Oct 16, 2000 at 07:27:27 AM EST

It hurts like hell, and if you flinch, you end up with a nasty cut. US Military has experemented with this particular delivery system, but never moved to large scale deployment IIRC. Damn it's too early in the morning to go hunt down links... <GRIN>

Davis Ray Sickmon, Jr

Owner / President

MidnightRyder.Com - game developer, among other things

Virus Saftey (3.00 / 1) (#2)
by krmt on Mon Oct 16, 2000 at 04:16:41 AM EST

This is very safe actually. This has actually been done for the past 50 years or so. How it works is that you take some kind of phage virus (the type you saw pictures of in your biology textbook) and insert some piece of DNA that codes for a protein that you want. There are tons of phage types that you can purchase and culture that are benign and have insertion site. When the virus goes in to you, it begins to replicate normally in the lytic pathway (yes, it will still kill some cells, but overall it's Ok) and reproduce very fast.

It's acutally a great technique because it works so fast and it's very cheap to culture some viruses on a petri dish with some ec-oli. I would have never guessed a shampoo as the delivery method though. Soap or a lotion would have been my choice (what if it gets in your eyes?) but I don't see why they couldn't do that instead.

"I may not have morals, but I have standards."

Aerosol? (2.00 / 1) (#3)
by Jade E. on Mon Oct 16, 2000 at 05:17:17 AM EST

OK, biology's not my strong point, so this may be a stupid question, but here goes: Since most of the diseases we vaccinate against spread through the air, why can't we make vaccines that work through inhaling?

I'm guessing the answer is something along the lines of "inhaling a virus only gives you a 2% chance of getting infected, and vaccines have to be near 100%", but I'm probably missing something.

It's being done.... (4.00 / 1) (#4)
by Midnight Ryder on Mon Oct 16, 2000 at 07:23:59 AM EST

You are spot on with your thinking. Yes, there is such a thing as inhaling a vaccine. However, it's not absorbed in the lungs, but instead, it's absorbed in the nasal lining. But, I don't think it carries a 100% rate of absorption. Look in back issues of Scientific American or Popular Science, IIRC, for more information on the research being done.

Davis Ray Sickmon, Jr

Owner / President

MidnightRyder.Com - game developer, among other things

vaccines (1.00 / 1) (#6)
by crossconnects on Mon Oct 16, 2000 at 11:59:12 AM EST

vaccines are among the greatest hoaxes in the world. They have been proven unsafe, and not demonstrated to be effective. the whole thing is based on skewed and falsified statistics for the purpose of making more money for the pharmaceutical industry inhalant based vaccines scare the living &%$#% out of me

Hoaxes? (none / 0) (#7)
by aphrael on Mon Oct 16, 2000 at 11:07:12 PM EST

vaccines are among the greatest hoaxes in the world.

What's the basis for this comment? I read a number of scientifically-oriented magazines on a semi-regular basis (Science and Nature are the two i'm most likely to read); they often report on research into an AIDS vaccine. My understanding was that the general concept of vaccination was well-established in the scientific community, so your post leaves me a bit ... confused.

Flu Shots: A question (none / 0) (#8)
by joeyo on Mon Oct 16, 2000 at 11:30:08 PM EST

<question type="US-Centric">
Does anybody know when this years flu shots are going to be available?
</question>

derms... (none / 0) (#9)
by PhadeRunner on Tue Oct 17, 2000 at 10:56:58 AM EST

...I want derms!! No more needles for me!! :)

(if you don't know what I'm talking about read a bit of Gibson)

Tired of vaccine shots? | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)