Gore interview on Technology, Internet

By Dacta in MLP
Wed Oct 18, 2000 at 09:26:30 PM EST
Tags: Politics (all tags)
Politics

ZDNet is carrying an interview with Gore called The Geek Who Would Be President.

I'm not American, so it took a lot for me to post this. However, not only is it interesting (from the political point of view), it is actually relevent to Kuro5hin (Technology and Culture, from the Trenches).

A quote (which caught my interest):

Y-LIFE: That's a good segue to Napster. What is your feeling about it? Are efforts to close down Napster, or Napster-like software, equally futile?

GORE: Well, there is a difference between Napster and Napster-like . There are ways to respect intellectual property on the Internet and still take advantage of the incredible power of distributed intelligence. It was only a matter of time before every PC became a server. It is only a matter of time before every device becomes a server. Distributed intelligence is a law of nature. It is more than a technology. It's also a law of culture and politics and evolution.

Infact, reading the interview I think it's fair to say Gore woudl be quite at home on K5 or Slashdot. (Infact, he actually seems to know more that a lot of /.ers, at least!)

o Slashdot
o Kuro5hin
o ZDNet
o carrying an interview
o Also by Dacta

Gore interview on Technology, Internet | 10 comments (9 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)
Of course! (1.75 / 16) (#1)
by end0parasite on Wed Oct 18, 2000 at 07:18:18 PM EST

Of course he knows a lot about the internet. He invented it!

actually... (none / 0) (#2)
by Hillgiant on Wed Oct 18, 2000 at 08:47:54 PM EST

I believe he coined the phrase "information superhighway"

stick that in your pipe and smoke it =]

-----
"It is impossible to say what I mean." -johnny

Nope, nope (none / 0) (#5)
by end0parasite on Thu Oct 19, 2000 at 09:12:21 AM EST

He invented it. I heard him say it himself.

odd... (4.00 / 1) (#6)
by mulvaney on Thu Oct 19, 2000 at 04:20:22 PM EST

Did he say this to you in a private statement? Because the only thing he has ever said publicly was "during my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet", which is absolutely true. No other pol has been as important to the Internet as Al Gore.

You can find a nice summary of this oft-repeated lie here.

Mike

Paraphrase (none / 0) (#7)
by end0parasite on Thu Oct 19, 2000 at 04:33:58 PM EST

I was paraphrasing it. I remember it, though, clear as day, like this: "[inserting speech here]. After all, I invented the internet... [insert rest of speech here]"

you == idiot (none / 0) (#8)
by mulvaney on Thu Oct 19, 2000 at 05:51:25 PM EST

You don't remember Gore saying that, because he never did. Did you even read the link I gave you?

You are paraphrasing it incorrectly! Which is especially stupid, because you are only paraphrasing it to show that Gore is the liar. There is one liar here, and it is you.

This boggles the mind! Even presented with clear evidence showing that Gore never said what you are claiming, you come back with "I remember it, clear as day"! Look, you can't get all your news from the Tonight Show.

Mike

Sorry (none / 0) (#10)
by end0parasite on Sat Oct 28, 2000 at 11:35:57 AM EST

He said, "I took the initiative in creating the internet." Which I did paraphrase correctly.

Let's say I eat a candy bar. "I ate a candy bar." In order for me to have eaten a candy bar, at some point in time, I would have taken the initiative in eating a candy bar. It is always the same. I had to initiate eating before I was able to finish. Thus, by saying, "I ate a candy bar," I am also saying, "I took the initiative in eating a candy bar."

Okay.... (none / 0) (#9)
by Hillgiant on Thu Oct 26, 2000 at 11:18:03 AM EST

Where did you here it? When? Was it recorded? Are there transcripts? If you remember the speech clear as day, perhaps you can recall other pertinent detials. Like the context. Or even the ajoining verbage.

I am not trying to disparage your memory. Gore's speeches on the subject have been paraphrased to the point of becoming urban legend.

Gore no more `invented' the internet than Gates `invented' the operating system or Linus `invented' *nix. However, all each was major player in getting these things into the public limelight.

-----
"It is impossible to say what I mean." -johnny

A sorry waste of time (3.25 / 4) (#3)
by DefCon5 on Wed Oct 18, 2000 at 09:06:02 PM EST

Sorry -1. This topic is boring. Gore is lame, and frankly I'm tired of republicrats. If I want to listen to what chronic liars have to say, I can easily get that from mainstream rags, I don't come to K5 to read about Gore and people like him. And please don't suggest Gore is "at home" here, it makes me physically ill. Gore would pee on every k5 reader's head if would benefit him.