A personal test in being shallow.

By porovaara in MLP
Thu Oct 19, 2000 at 05:40:44 PM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

We all have the capability to be shallow... to make snap judgments... to completely and totally rate a person on an arbitrary scale on a whim. Now thanks to the power of the internet you can combine your judgments of people's attractiveness with others at www.amihotornot.com.

We passed this around the office yesterday... what amazed even me is that the most shallow of the pig men here could only do this for so long before even they felt the pange of guilt. The other suprising thing for me was how brutal the ratings were. So just for fun we put up pics from our networking group to see how brutal the world would be to us. OUCH. That didn't last too long.

The question is how long will it take you before you get disgusted with the concept?

How long before you couldn't click on any more ratings?
o One click was all it took. 2%
o A few clicks... 23%
o 10 minutes worth. 22%
o A half hour. 12%
o An hour! 2%
o I still go everyday to check for new pics. 11%
o Eat more cheese. 23%

o www.amihot ornot.com
o Also by porovaara

A personal test in being shallow. | 16 comments (14 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)
-1 Dump it (1.16 / 6) (#1)
by Jongo on Thu Oct 19, 2000 at 04:12:36 PM EST

They're just taking the piss. Don't take it too seriously. Besides, shouldn't you be concentrating on making people in your life less shallow? Oh, shouldn't you be working at the office? :-P

how long... (2.28 / 7) (#2)
by tzanger on Thu Oct 19, 2000 at 04:18:19 PM EST

Until someone posts the goatse.cx pic up there?

Kind of interesting.... (2.66 / 3) (#3)
by Zeram on Thu Oct 19, 2000 at 04:19:13 PM EST

An interesting concept, but a little short on the actually fun... oh well...
<----^---->
Like Anime? In the Philly metro area? Welcome to the machine...
I'm strange (3.57 / 7) (#4)
by Denor on Thu Oct 19, 2000 at 04:24:52 PM EST

So I went to the link to see what it was (I vote most MLPs +1 to section anyway because, really, what more do you need than a link to qualify?) and I found something interesting.

I'm a pretty strange guy.

Rather than just rate these people as some kind of shallowness test, like the writeup suggested, I rated and then compared what I had rated to what the average was.

Example: There was a woman who would be considered fairly attractive, but there wasn't anything terribly interesting about her. I rated her a 6. Her average was 8 or 9. A few slides later, we see someone who has bright red hair and multiple piercings, smiling at the camera. My thoughts were "Cool!", and I rated her an 8. Average? 3.2.

We're all shallow - we all "make snap judgements on a whim"; it's built into our brains. The most interesting thing I found about this site was the degree to which I was different from the average. If for nothing else, this site is an interesting experience for that. It's an inkblot test - I think it tells you more about yourself than the people there.

-Denor

Same here... (3.00 / 2) (#6)
by katravax on Thu Oct 19, 2000 at 04:53:40 PM EST

Most of the highly-rated ones I'd only given a 3 or 4, but I gotta tell ya... the pierced redhead got a 10 from me. What a cutie :)

Hehe, me too! (3.50 / 2) (#9)
by skim123 on Thu Oct 19, 2000 at 07:02:08 PM EST

Yeah, it was more fun seeing how my ratings compared to other people's ratings than actually rating the girls myself! A neat site, all in all, way too easy to waste way too much time there! :-)

PT Barnum

Indeed... (3.33 / 3) (#10)
by RareHeintz on Thu Oct 19, 2000 at 07:02:55 PM EST

I got a similar effect - frequent and radical differences from the mean. Almost makes me wish they posted standard deviations along with the averages...

As far as the content... That site is just creepily addictive. I'd start a compile, go over, do half a dozen clicks, lather, rinse, repeat. Then after a half hour or so, I thought to myself, "exactly what the fuck am I doing?" Crazy crazy crazy...

Anyway, it certainly is an interesting glimpse at a funhouse mirror.

OK,
- B
http://www.bradheintz.com/ - updated kind of daily

things like this... (3.33 / 3) (#7)
by paulv on Thu Oct 19, 2000 at 06:05:54 PM EST

...make me think about this. And then I want to go write a Perl script that does it and run it. And then reality sets in and I realize I have more work to do.

But, if someone writes it, I will run it...

Wierd (4.50 / 4) (#11)
by djkimmel on Thu Oct 19, 2000 at 10:48:36 PM EST

I went through a number of these and, like a few other posters mentioned, compared my ratings to the average. This is amazing.

Women that I'd give a 7 to frequently had averages of 2.5-3.5. My 8's sometimes had even lower, 1-2.5. Oddly enough, my 2's and 3's had averages between 8 and 9!

"What others thought: 6.5 based on 29 votes. You rated her 2."

"What others thought: 3.4 based on 258 votes. You rated her 8."

I'm almost tempted to get a photo taken of me tomorrow just so that I can post it and see what happens. Of course, I'll probably get 1's across the board - I'm not good looking, but I'm cool with that.

I haven't seen anyone with glasses there though... :-( Or uniforms. Both are major plusses in my book, even though I wear neither.

-- Dave
-- Dave
Lawsuit? (3.00 / 1) (#12)
by Defect on Fri Oct 20, 2000 at 08:45:25 AM EST

When i first went to that site i was enjoying seeing what people rated others (i won't go into detail about the same thing that everyone else has said so far) but after the novelty of that wore off the only thing i could think of was how long it would be until they get hit with a lawsuit.

In a time where students can sue schools for being picked on in high school (maybe i should get a lawyer), i can see a cretinous male jock posting up a picture of someone else, who gets voted fairly low leading to ridicule coupled with a few nights of crying. There have been cases won for less "Emotional Damage."

All in all, i thought the site to be a joke, the layout was abysmal, and once the shallow fun wears off there is nary a reason to return.
defect - jso - joseth || a link
Guilt? What guilt? (3.50 / 2) (#13)
by spiralx on Fri Oct 20, 2000 at 09:34:49 AM EST

I certainly haven't been suffering from any pangs of guilt over this, and I've been visiting the page every day this week to kill time. In fact, I find it oddly addictive.

I really don't agree with the ratings though, if you consider the 1 to 10 as a bell curve kind of distribution, almost all people should be in the 4-7 range, whereas most people on this site seem to be between 3 and 5. The only ones that seem to get anything over a 6 were blonde birds with breast enlargements wearing bikinis. Not my ideal woman at all... :)

You're doomed, I'm doomed, we're all doomed for ice cream. - Bob Aboey

Fascinating (3.00 / 2) (#14)
by snowlion on Fri Oct 20, 2000 at 11:52:29 AM EST

Personally, I was really surprised to see that people I consider to be 7's and 8's are consistently rated 3. 4.

I have a girlfriend, so I'm certain it's not desperation.

I just imagine there's someone out there hitting, "1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1." It'd be interesting to see how they did scoring (probably simple average). Perhaps some statistical analysis should be performed, or perhaps they should throw out bad data or something.

It's kind of creepy, in a way. The low scores are rather disturbing. We tend to judge ourselves as harshly, if not harsher, than we judge others; The low scores may be indicative of people's low opinions of themselves.

One good thing about this, though: A lot of cutie's up there, ...and they load fast too! {:)}=

Take care, Lion

Map Your Thoughts
Interesting (2.50 / 2) (#15)
by skim123 on Sat Oct 21, 2000 at 01:35:39 AM EST

Too fucking addictive.

It's interesting that the average person there is rated below average intelligence (or so it seems). People will, on average, when asked to rate their own attractiveness, give themselves higher than average ratings... hrmmm... so according to that study, the average person is more attractive than... the average person. But amihotornot.com shows quite the opposite, that the average person is less attractive than the average person. How fun.

PT Barnum

Incredibly addictive (3.00 / 1) (#16)
by aphrael on Sat Oct 21, 2000 at 05:45:10 PM EST

but there's a bug: when a picture flat-out doesn't load, the only way to get a new one is to rate it ... which has got to screw with the averages somehow.