soon a new OS on market: PetrOS

By Frédéric in MLP
Wed Oct 25, 2000 at 01:44:42 PM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

Trumpet Software, the Australian company well known for their TCP/IP stacks for DOS and Windows (Trumpet Winsock 5.0 handles IPv6 btw), is currently writing a new OS, the other site talks about it 1˝ year ago, its name is PetrOS. Last year they were talking about "NT compatible", now it seems it's more "win95 compatible", but the project have advanced a lot as seen on the status page. Check also the FAQ for PetrOS. Anyone have a preview somewhere?

o Trumpet Software
o Trumpet Winsock 5.0
o the other site
o 1˝ year ago
o PetrOS
o status page
o FAQ
o Also by Frédéric

soon a new OS on market: PetrOS | 8 comments (6 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)
PetrOS... (2.50 / 4) (#1)
by quiklite on Wed Oct 25, 2000 at 10:38:40 AM EST

Well it looks interesting. Anything that is an alternative to Linux (I saw that somewhere else, I think. Hmm, that Sun story :) is probably good these days. Why do Good Things always end up being corporatised?

The fact that it runs on what is essentially a throwaway machine these days (I collect them with rabid ferocity), is good, because I was annoyed when I couldn't install BeOS onto one of my 486 boxen. If it's m$ compatible, although it implies evil, it does help people who need to work with Windows (yes I know, there is Wine).

Frankly though, I couldn't help but thinking of it as a misspelling. I thought it was going to be a PitrOS. Wouldn't yous be likink somethink like PitrOS? :)

Q

Oh no, not again... (none / 0) (#7)
by zagor on Thu Oct 26, 2000 at 09:17:19 AM EST

Anything that is an alternative to Linux [...] is probably good these days. Why do Good Things always end up being corporatised?
Don't you people ever get tired of this worn out old argument?
  1. Linux is not any more "corporatised" than you choose it to be. You can run Red Hat and follow the flock or you can go your own way and roll your own from tgz's. Or anything in between. Quit whining.
  2. PetrOS is non-free software agressively chasing the taillights of one the most ruthless corporations in the world. That's your idea of a good alternative to Linux?
"Those who can, do. Those who don't, teach."

OS/2 (3.50 / 2) (#3)
by Defect on Wed Oct 25, 2000 at 12:09:43 PM EST

Isn't being compatible with Windows the step that sealed OS/2's coffin?

It'll still just be companies writing for Windows and it'll be Trumpet trying to keep up with Windows in compatibility. Very few will bother writing code that takes advantage of PetrOS's features when it already runs windows code well enough, which will mean that in Trumpet will have to keep on tabs every new development in windows and make sure that it remains compatible.

but oh well, another OS won't hurt anyone.
defect - jso - joseth || a link
And the point would be? (4.00 / 3) (#4)
by Burb on Wed Oct 25, 2000 at 12:20:49 PM EST

I don't want to appear too world-weary, but what exactly is the point of this new Windows-compatible operating system? In marketing-speak, what's the unique selling point? It doesn't claim to be open-source, or super-efficient, or extra-featured, or even particularly cheap (although it might be a bit cheaper than Windows). And, if I read it correctly, it has a new/improved device driver model which looks like the kiss of death unless someone writes those drivers. Nope, sorry, can't see the point. Maybe there is a USP, but it's not clear from the authors?

An OO Microkernel developed in Pascal??? (3.00 / 1) (#5)
by cthulhu on Wed Oct 25, 2000 at 01:27:54 PM EST

I wonder what design parameters justified the decision to use Pascal?

In all fariness, it's been a long, long time since I've used Pascal, and I have no clue what the current state of Pascal is.

But still, Pascal???

i have met the developer ... he lives in my city (none / 0) (#8)
by semis on Fri Oct 27, 2000 at 02:24:50 AM EST

And with all due respect, he is a total nutcase. He lives in Hobart, Tasmania - which is where I happen to live. And I have met him at numerous computer shows etc..

He is the most eccentric, rude, person I have ever met. He won't look at you when he speaks, rather he seems to mumble at you and look off into the far right corner.

Basically, my short conversation with him revolved around his justification of using pascal which was:

(something like)
me: "hi, I heard about PetraOS - I'm wondering why you are using pascal?"
him: "what would you know.. HAVE you programmed in industry before ??"
me: "um, yes I have in fact. This launch we are at is for software that I helped develop"
him: "its bullshit.. its absolute bullshit - object pascal is the ONLY decent programming language"
me: "um.. why?"
him: "don't you know anything?! you obviosly havent written an operating system in Pascal before!"
me: "no.. thats why I am asking you"
him: [looks down at the floor] ... "how long have you been in the industry for?"
me: "oh.. about three years"
him: "exactly.. thats why you dont know!"

I had an almost _exact_ conversation when I asked him why he was developing a windows clone - and not just developing on wine. When I toyed with him about what he thought of Linux, FreeBSD etc.. he said

"Linux is bullshit.. its bullshit"

and would offer no further reasoning.

Anyway.. I, like about 20 people I know.. AVOID him at any computer meeting that occurs. He sits on his own and nobody speaks to him.

Yes.. I might come across as If i hate this guy. I don't actually, rather I can't be bothered with people like that.

soon a new OS on market: PetrOS | 8 comments (6 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)