Campaign Blunders

By skim123 in MLP
Sun Oct 08, 2000 at 10:05:59 PM EST
Tags: Politics (all tags)
Politics

Want a hearty laugh? There are a couple of articles at ABCNews.com that look at various campaign blunders (the senatorial race in New York debate blunder and presidential campaign bloopers). Worth a quick read and a few good laughs...

In the article about the debate blunder, the moderator of a debate between Hillary Clinton and Lazio asked the two candidates their views on the "5 cent per Email Tax" hoax that gets sent around via email every now and then. I find political jargon so absurd and funny. After being asked the question, Lazio responded:

I am absolutely opposed to this. This is an example of the government's greedy hand in trying to take money from taxpayers that it has no right to!

Sigh.

o debate blunder
o presidenti al campaign bloopers
o Also by skim123

Campaign Blunders | 10 comments (9 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)
Other stuff... (3.25 / 4) (#2)
by Zarniwoop on Sun Oct 08, 2000 at 07:25:27 PM EST

George Bush Loves You and Al Gore Loves You.

Isn't that nice?

Re: Other stuff... (none / 0) (#7)
by Quark on Mon Oct 09, 2000 at 12:31:13 PM EST

Oh definitely, according to these sites I'm having serious compatibility problems with the both of them. Not to mention what kind of scores I drew when typing in the name of my girlfriend:-(

So much bandwidth, so little time...
Why I hope I'm never in the public eye. (3.00 / 3) (#3)
by 0x00 on Sun Oct 08, 2000 at 09:19:54 PM EST

With the amount of stupid things I say in a hour/day/week/year/decade, I am glad there is no one around with recording devices. Still doesn't help me with the things I say when I post to K5. Now where is that deletion thingy-me-bob...
0x00

Clown calling propergates: members 7. The legacy begins.

Questions and blunders. (3.25 / 4) (#4)
by brent on Sun Oct 08, 2000 at 09:38:43 PM EST

Certainly you can follow a third hand recap of the political jargon, or you can read for yourself what they had to say. Of course some errors are going to be made but does one 10-20 second mistake make the candidate any less capable of screwing you for 4-6 years? Or you can see what others have to say regarding the political happenings. Debates.org normally has a listing of the transcripts from the debates rather than sifting through the CNN/ABC/any other news source internet site commentary. Read the Metafilter discussion on the same topic. Another "intelligent" conversational web site. Vote.com Check out the topic of the day and send a message to your representatives.

Sigh (2.00 / 4) (#5)
by delver on Sun Oct 08, 2000 at 10:07:58 PM EST

This is actually really understandable. If anyone here has had to speak in public you can understand how easy it is to make some stupid little slip that in retrospect is really incredibly stupid. Unless you are just reading off a teleprompter (which more and more people are doing) its really easy to do this shit. However, it is really funny, and I do like being able to make fun of those in power. Its what they get for wanting to rule the world after all I guess.

more bush blunders (3.66 / 3) (#6)
by bobsquatch on Mon Oct 09, 2000 at 04:12:10 AM EST

If you really want more Bush blunders, check out Slate's collection. I don't know if they have a Gore list, too, but they might.

Not that this has any bearing on the candidate's ability to lead. I'm willing to overlook a candidate's simple "are"=>"is" mis-speak, even when he's talking about education.

Re: more bush blunders (none / 0) (#8)
by aphrael on Mon Oct 09, 2000 at 05:03:37 PM EST

I'm much less willing to overlook (say) a candidate's suggestion that we ask the Russians for help with removing Milosevic from power, (a) when we've spent the last 55 years attempting to get Russian influence out of Eastern Europe, and (b) when the Russian government was busy supporting Milosevic.</[?

But we were trying to get *Soviet* influence out of Eastern Europe, not Russian influence per se ... and because Milosevic *trusted* Russia, maybe they could be useful in convincing him that it was probably time to go.

Gore's response to that particular question infuriated me for other reasons: he stated, incorrectly, that the Jugoslav government hadn't released the election results (which it had, only nobody believed them).

Re: more bush blunders (1.00 / 2) (#9)
by bobsquatch on Mon Oct 09, 2000 at 05:34:56 PM EST

Gore's response to that particular question infuriated me for other reasons

Word. And a bigger room.

Bush's suggestion was IMHO thoughtless policy based on ignorance (and bad PR, since it sounded a lot like "Hey, let's send some Soviet tanks in to bust Milosevic's ass! Those slavs know the drill, and it worked so well the last time!").

Gore's assertion was also based on ignorance -- which could easily lead him to make bad calls, too.

These are the sorts of blunders we should be seeing mocked and repeated in .sig files -- but they're too long, they're not funny, and you often need the real data to see where the problem is. Policy just isn't good theatre. Sigh.

Re: more bush blunders (none / 0) (#10)
by aphrael on Mon Oct 09, 2000 at 05:48:31 PM EST

I'm not so sure --- asking the Russians to lean on Milosevic seemed like a reasonably good thought. Of course, Bush's *presentation* could have been better.

Again, i'm not sure --- it could just as easily have been mis-statement; the line between "they didn't release the results" and "they didn't release the *real* results" is pretty fuzzy, and hard to explain in a debate. maybe he just oversimplified because he assumed nobody was paying attention anyway?

Policy just isn't good theatre.

I think that is close to being the fundamental problem with modern politics: we treat it like theatre, so the policy issues get obscured. *sigh*

Campaign Blunders | 10 comments (9 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)