Semi-Utility Vehicle?

By kmself in MLP
Sun Oct 08, 2000 at 11:02:32 PM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

MLP, we've got your MLP, it's the Y2K Kenworth Pilgrimage,the SUV of the future. And the Grand Dominator has a permanent cellular link to the Internet!

Fits under most bridge underpasses....The first SUV to be rated in Gallons per Mile by the EPA....Get a big rush when your Firestone tires blow out.... Can seat 20. Go ahead, take the WHOLE soccer team. Can tow your camper, yacht, a trailer-load of frozen pizzas, or even your house! Yours for under $200,000 ($100,000 for truck chassis + $100,000 standard SUV markup).

We suppose the marketing campaing will be aimed at Microsoft stockholders who cashed out before September, therfore both having the cash on hand and can relate to crushing the competition....

o Y2K Kenworth Pilgrimage,the SUV of the future
o Also by kmself

Semi-Utility Vehicle? | 12 comments (10 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)
oi. (3.14 / 7) (#2)
by harb on Sun Oct 08, 2000 at 05:56:49 AM EST

Why does that thing give me Mad Max flashbacks?

harb.

bda.

Absolutely Beautiful (2.14 / 7) (#3)
by BradyB on Sun Oct 08, 2000 at 08:40:08 AM EST

Now where did I put my account number for that swiss bank account. Nice trucks, do they really exist? Or are they just some sort of Photoshop creations.?
Good is not enough, when you dream of being great.
I thought I had seen this before... (2.33 / 6) (#4)
by Doscher on Sun Oct 08, 2000 at 10:51:20 AM EST

I think I saw this linked from the Chevrolet F-Body site, F-Body.org. They have a link off their front page to to here.

Anyways, this link is pretty good too.

Fake? (2.60 / 5) (#5)
by mondo_t on Sun Oct 08, 2000 at 12:52:53 PM EST

Please tell me those our fake. The concepts look as real as the ones on the front page, and that things a little crazy to be real. Who would buy one of those and for what use? Mondo_t

Read the bottom (4.00 / 4) (#6)
by Latrell Sprewell on Sun Oct 08, 2000 at 01:27:14 PM EST

At the bottom of the page, there's a quote in case you didn't get the joke:

"In case you can't tell, this isn't for real. It's just a joke already!"

I can really see SUVs going that way (3.33 / 3) (#8)
by Anonymous 6522 on Sun Oct 08, 2000 at 10:40:59 PM EST

I can really see SUVs going that way, with all the people who want to one-up their neghbors' Excursons and Suburbans. What really pisses be off is that their popularity is at the expense of sports cars. I can only hope that gas prices go up to $2-3 a gallon, so they become even bigger wastes of money.

I am serious about hoping gas prices go up, this summer I was wishing that OPEC would cut production further, and I could laugh at all of those SUV owners even more.

Re: I can really see SUVs going that way (3.00 / 2) (#9)
by tzanger on Mon Oct 09, 2000 at 11:56:13 AM EST

I dunno. I have a '94 Jeep Grand Chrokee which I'd been wanting ever since I was 16 and bought a '87 Cherokee to cart my DJ equipment around in. It pisses me off that they're so popular because now I look like a lemming. <sigh>

I regularly cart around my wife and 2 (soon 3) kids with all their accessories (stroller, bags, toys, etc. and when I'm on the job, the back is filled with parts and test gear. The 4wd comes in handy when I'm out in the middle of buttfuck nowhere, PQ.

My point? Stop assuming everyone with a SUV is a lemming. Some of us actually use them.

Re: I can really see SUVs going that way (4.00 / 2) (#11)
by Anonymous 6522 on Wed Oct 11, 2000 at 10:17:08 PM EST

I do realize that many people use SUV for what they were orginally intended, but they are a minority. Too many of them are used as gas guzzeling single-person commuter cars, and if gas prices went up, there would a greater financial incentive to drive something more economical to work.

Re: I can really see SUVs going that way (1.00 / 1) (#12)
by tzanger on Thu Oct 12, 2000 at 10:53:01 AM EST

... while that may be true, it has a LOT of negative effects as well. No matter how economical your ride is, it'll cost you more. Doesn't seem like a good plan to me; not if I am driving my Jeep, nor if I were driving my Geo Metro.

Art imitates life (2.50 / 2) (#10)
by S.Prat on Mon Oct 09, 2000 at 03:03:43 PM EST

The sad thing is, I've seen two smallish semis set up as poseur cars. Both had a pickup style bed on the back; one was made to look like a low-rider, the other was a little more plain, towing a monster RV trailer. I saw both in Sonoma, CA last year.

Semi-Utility Vehicle? | 12 comments (10 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)