Finally some expansion options...

By farl in MLP
Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 02:31:53 PM EST
Tags: Hardware (all tags)
Hardware

Finally there is a good expansion option for those of us who are Mac fans.

Mobility Electroics has released a great upgrade option.

Basically you lose 1 PCI slot, but gain 4 ide slots, 5 drive bays, and 3 other full-length PCI slots. All for the price of $600, which IMHO is a very small price to pay for this great expandability.

Pure MLP but still interesting.

Farl
Farl@sketchwork.com

How many PCI slots do you use?
o All! 21%
o 6 2%
o 5 5%
o 4 15%
o 3 22%
o 2 18%
o 1 7%
o None? What is PCI? 7%

o Mobility Electroics
o Also by farl

Finally some expansion options... | 21 comments (8 topical, 13 editorial, 0 hidden)
Lots and lots of PCI cards (3.20 / 5) (#3)
by jbridge21 on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 08:58:58 PM EST

I just filled out my last two PCI slots, on my Abit BP6. Technically, it's six PCI slots, because it's five PCI and one AGP. When I realized just how full it was getting, it was a little shock, but here goes:

Matrox G400 AGP 16MB single-head
WinTV
3c905b
Adaptec 2940UW
Sound Blaster PCI128
Voodoo3 2000 PCI 16MB
and the last case slot on the bottom is taken up with a slot cooler, for the Voodoo.

Perhaps, though, the poll should have options above six, for those with high-end servers....

2 graphics cards? (3.00 / 1) (#5)
by Potatoswatter on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 09:06:55 PM EST

I've been wondering what the multiple-monitor support is like in Windows... do you use 2 monitors as an extended desktop, or it it just one monitor between them for 1337 gaming purposes?

myQuotient = myDividend/*myDivisorPtr; For multiple languages in the same function, see Upper/Mute in my diary! */;
Windows supports both (5.00 / 1) (#8)
by fluffy grue on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 12:57:27 AM EST

By default, the desktop is extended onto all enabled monitors (and you can configure their positions etc. just like how Macs have had for well over 10 years), but games with multihead support can use multiple monitors as separate DirectX devices as well. I don't know what happens if you have two monitors turned on and run a fullscreen game which only takes over one of them (probably the second monitor gets disabled or something).

The game does need to explicitly support the multiple monitors though, unless you have a special video card like the G400 (which is really two graphics cards on a single board) which would be conceivably able to make the multiple monitors look like a single one since it has direct control of the accelerator circuitry which is driving both monitors. I don't think the G400 supports putting multiple monitors on single-monitor games though (I haven't tried, since I only have one monitor and am almost never in Windows anyway).

But typically, the multiple monitors are just for having a big-ass desktop.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

linux not windows (5.00 / 1) (#13)
by jbridge21 on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 08:01:06 PM EST

Hehehe, I'm not using Windows, I'm using Slackware, XF4.0.1, and Xinerama. This means that basically you have a really wide (or tall) desktop. If you use a Xinerama-aware window manager, like recent versions of Sawfish, then when you maximize a window it maximizes to ONE monitor, instead of maximizing to spread over both.

This is *very* helpful.

Anyways, Windows multi-monitor support works pretty much the same way, I've seen it on my friend's system but not really looked at it in detail.

sawfish and xinerama (3.00 / 1) (#20)
by ilmari on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 10:40:35 AM EST

What is a recent enough version of sawfish for that? i'm running 0.33.1 from helix-gnome and it maximizes across both my monitors (on a matrox g200 agp and g200 pci).
ilmari
bla (4.00 / 1) (#21)
by jbridge21 on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 07:48:29 PM EST

I'm using 0.32, I think.

It's the slackware package from linuxmafia.org.

Dunno 'bout Helix GNOME.

Will it work with a PC? (3.00 / 1) (#6)
by Luke Scharf on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 09:08:26 PM EST

Buy me one and I'll write Linux/x86 drivers for it. They *ought* to work on the PPC too, but I don't have one to try it on... :-)

linux suport? (3.00 / 4) (#7)
by radar bunny on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 10:05:02 PM EST

says here only verified with windows. No mention of linux :(