Map of Arpanet circa 1977

By Scooby in MLP
Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 08:47:07 PM EST
Tags: Internet (all tags)
Internet

This'll bring back memmories for some, it's a map of ARPAnet that my grandpa emailed me, circa 1977. (Note that he doesn't own it physically, he just found the image)

The Map (200k gif image)

Who remembers Arpanet?
o Me 28%
o Not me 55%
o I used to 16%

o The Map (200k gif image)
o Also by Scooby

Map of Arpanet circa 1977 | 6 comments (5 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)
I forgot to add... (3.33 / 3) (#1)
by Scooby on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 06:47:58 PM EST

I forgot to add, for those that don't recall, IIRC Arpanet basically was the internet back before it went mainstream.

more at An Atlas of Cyberspaces. (4.50 / 6) (#2)
by madams on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 06:57:56 PM EST

An Atlas of Cyberspaces has this map and many more historical maps of the Internet.

Mark Adams
"But pay no attention to anonymous charges, for they are a bad precedent and are not worthy of our age." - Trajan's reply to Pliny the Younger, 112 A.D.

Check out the military links (none / 0) (#4)
by goonie on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 11:46:01 PM EST

Specifically, check out the TLA in the bottom-left-hand corner. They've been on to us for a while . . . :)

Memories... (a general ramble) (4.00 / 1) (#5)
by vastor on Wed Nov 15, 2000 at 05:06:23 AM EST

It's really funny seeing stuff like this.

Kind of like people complaining about 56k modems being slow and it was only several years ago that the local university had a 56k satellite link for its entire internet feed (well, maybe it was a bit more than that ago - just remember my older brother bringing some games home on 360k floppies that he got from finland and stuff - was for our XT but some of them required 286s and were too slow on it, so whenever early 286s were hot stuff I guess).

Not that I've been on it anywhere near that long (was slower to reach Aus). Reminds me of a public access linux site that opened with shell accounts and e-mail/news via a UUCP feed - everyone in the BBS scene thought it would never take off and fidonet was better etc (admittedly I did the same to a slight degree but atleast got the best of both worlds by getting newsgroups and e-mail gated over to fidonet format to use with my BBS). It was probably the WWW and PPP that made all the difference.

The BBS world had RIP (Remote Image Protocol or something like that) but it took off too late and was a closed system (not enough dialup software supported it - and what did didn't tend to do it reliably).

Anyway, just a general ramble. Would probably have never used OS/2 if I hadn't take my BBS multiline back then (OS/2 probably had double the BBSes running under it as NT did at the time, maybe more and was clearly acknowledged as the better multitasker for the job).

Not that it's comparable to arpanet stuff (I was born in 1977) but definitely a nice way to think about some old memories. Saw some brochers a few years back of my fathers when he did some computer stuff - ads for big units that probably were about as powerful as a regular calculator is today (maybe I should keep a leaflet advertising a RAID array or something for 20 years when it might be comparable to something the size of a finger nail or something). Anyway, thats it for me (my first post to k5 even if I have been stopping by here occassionally for a fair while).

RIP RIP (none / 0) (#6)
by tzanger on Wed Nov 15, 2000 at 03:24:00 PM EST

RIP died because it was a whore. I remember back in the early 90s several larger BBSes (two and three noders) tried to foist it on everyone when nobody wanted it. ANSI art ruled the land and RIP was a cheezy substitute. A precursor to the web almost. It deserved to die horribly and that it did.

Map of Arpanet circa 1977 | 6 comments (5 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)