Linus on The Register

By rusty in MLP
Thu Nov 16, 2000 at 05:03:40 PM EST
Tags: Interviews (all tags)
Interviews

The Register nabbed an interview with Linus at COMDEX (part 1, part 2). Among the highlights:

Goals for 2.4?

"...with 2.4 the only goals really were SMP scalability and getting the network stack up to snuff. And that was mainly because of - as you know - Mindcraft"
More choice tidbits below.

On the "Cult of Linus?
"But everybody wants to be famous right? Everybody wants to make a difference. I wanted to be a scientist. I wanted to be a famous scientist - the Einstein of the 21st Century, something like that - but it was not to be! But I got into programming."
What about "Free" vs. "Open Source"?
"Free is one of those four letter words. It's a bad word."

"I don't like the politics, and RMS is way too political about it - too black and white... I don't like the other side either, Eric Raymond also gets way overboard. There's a lot of, basically, discussion about issues that shouldn't be issues at all."

Also mentioned are Linus' TiVO addiction, and an attempt to decipher the Finnish expression "Your cow is in the ditch". No one can accuse The Register of not being thorough.

o The Register
o part 1
o part 2
o Also by rusty

Linus on The Register | 6 comments (5 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)
FSF (3.25 / 4) (#2)
by the coose on Thu Nov 16, 2000 at 04:32:01 PM EST

I've always had a love/hate thing with the Free Software Foundation thanks to RMS. On the one hand I like their philosophy, on the other hand, well, Linus summed it best in this interview:

. I suspect that he doesn't realise that one of the pieces that kept the FSF from really making a huge impact generally was that it was so inflexible, it was such a religious outfit and it still is. It's very idealistic. Idealistic can be bad.

My sentiments exactly.

Then what about principles? (3.00 / 3) (#3)
by Demona on Thu Nov 16, 2000 at 06:10:16 PM EST

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

Values (3.00 / 1) (#4)
by cypherpunks on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 02:36:32 PM EST

Standing for something and trying to force one's beliefs on others are _very_ different things.

In complete agreement (3.00 / 1) (#5)
by Demona on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 05:36:08 PM EST

But I didn't see any sign of the latter in the article.

No, they aren't. (none / 0) (#6)
by Paul Crowley on Mon Nov 20, 2000 at 05:06:57 AM EST

Often said, but false. Think of any famous, celebrated example of someone good standing for something good. Those who opposed what they stood for, and were likely to lose out by the change they were calling for, certainly might complain that the good beliefs were being "forced on them". The example I had in mind when I wrote this was Nelson Mandela, but you can easily think of others.

An even clearer example: the belief that greenhouse emissions must be reduced will certainly have to be forced on a lot of people if we don't want to drown.
Paul Crowley aka ciphergoth. Crypto and sex politics. Diary.
Linus on The Register | 6 comments (5 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)