Darn shame this wasn't fatal

By Skippy in MLP
Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 02:38:58 PM EST
Tags: etc (all tags)
/etc

Occasionally you see something so stupid that you just have to share. This is one of those things. Check out http://www.flarida.com/stupid.htm for what should have been a Darwin Award nominee but unfortunately wasn't. I'd say more but I don't want to ruin the surprise.

Should the cops have let him cut the twine?
o Yes 4%
o Hell Yes 63%
o No, even the stupid should live 31%

o http://www .flarida.com/stupid.htm
o Also by Skippy

Darn shame this wasn't fatal | 20 comments (18 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)
Not sure who should get what award... (3.66 / 6) (#1)
by h0tr0d on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 01:15:07 PM EST

I can't decide who should get the stupid and stupider award for this one. The guy driving the car or the Home Depot manager. I don't care if there was a waiver or not, this is sort of like a bartender serving alcohol to someone who is already wasted. Imagine if there had been an accident. I'd bet there's an ambulance chasing lawyer out there who would have been glad to hold the Home Depot financially responsible for any damages to any victims other than the moron in this car. And then there's probably one who would have gladly sued on behalf of this idiot anyway. This one really should be a Darwin award winner. Too bad.

-- It appears that my spleeing chucker isn't working again.

But... (4.50 / 6) (#5)
by Ranger Rick on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 01:35:38 PM EST

I think of it more like this. The waiver is a proof-of-conversation.

The conversation went a little something like this:

• Manager: You really don't want to do this.
  • Idiot: I need to get this stuff home. Put it in my car.
  • Manager: You don't understand, that's thousands of pounds.
  • Idiot: I am not gonna rent a truck. Put it in my car.
  • Manager: NO, you DON'T understand, you can't put that in your car.
  • Idiot: The customer's always right!
  • (45 minutes of arguments)
  • Manager: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T PUT THIS STUFF IN YOUR CAR!
  • Idiot: But the customer's always right!
  • Manager: FINE, SIGN THIS FORM! I'M GOING HOME!

I find it very amusing that one little comment about signing a waiver can imply so much. :)

:wq!

Exactly! (4.50 / 6) (#12)
by Narcischizm on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 02:14:57 PM EST

I worked in a lumber yard during high school and college, and this kind of thing (not quite that extreme) seemed to happen almost once a week. Some people just do not listen to reason. We had them sign waivers , and refuse to help them load their cars if we couldn't convince them to beg/borrow/rent a truck or at least get the load in several trips. The waiver was specifically for this purpose, so that when they come back in to complain about their roof being crushed, tires going flat, or body metal being torn (which they often did) we can pull the waiver and their purchase list, and prove that we made every effort to convince them to do otherwise. The customer is always right, even when they are wrong and stupid.

hum... (none / 0) (#20)
by dleal on Sat Nov 25, 2000 at 05:08:19 PM EST

Dude... chill out. Nobody died and that's what's important. Come on, it shouldn't have been a Darwin award. He was stupid, and I guess he learned his lesson. But let's not start wishing death to people just because they did something (ok, very) stupid. 99% of the world would be dead...

Three words.... (3.40 / 5) (#2)
by lucas on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 01:18:30 PM EST

...Annapolis Home Depot.

145 Defense Highway
Annapolis, MD 21401 US
(410)571-0820

Home Depots even have trucks you can rent pretty inexpensively to deliver the lumber!

I just hope he wasn't going to the Naval Academy.

>The car is a VW Jetta with FL plates and the guy said he
>was headed for Annapolis.

Almost voted this down... (2.25 / 4) (#4)
by Mantrid on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 01:32:31 PM EST

Almost voted this down, but i actually clicked on the link, and damn is that ever funny! I can't believe what some people do, thinking it's perfectly sensible.

Wizard's First Rule!

Why? (4.33 / 6) (#10)
by Phil the Canuck on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 01:59:18 PM EST

Why would you vote it down without clicking the link?

------

I don't think being an idiot comes with a pension plan though. Unless you're management of course. - hulver

I think I wet myself! (2.00 / 3) (#6)
by mpenza on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 01:37:05 PM EST

That was just too funny.

Heheheh (2.00 / 3) (#8)
by bse on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 01:49:48 PM EST

hilarious stuff. i saw this on /usr/bin/girl a few days, still funny the second time around. =D

"Please sir, tell me why, my life's so pitiful, but the future's so bright? When I look ahead, it burns my retinas." -- Pitchshifter - Please Sir

The thing is... (3.20 / 5) (#9)
by bkeeler on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 01:55:12 PM EST

What they don't mention is that once they got it to Annapolis they were going to load it into their Cessna 152 and fly it to their summer home in Baghdad.

[ comment courtesy of Fred ]

...until the word "Maudling" is almost completely obscured.

For you non-pilots (2.33 / 3) (#11)
by Zane_NBK on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 02:00:33 PM EST

Just so you know, the 152 can hold 4 very light people or 2-3 average sized men.

I can just see the concrete tied with twine on one wing, the wood tied down with twine on the other, both wing tips scraping the ground and them taxing down the runway. :)

Re: For you non-pilots (3.00 / 2) (#14)
by bkeeler on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 02:45:05 PM EST

Actually no, you're (probably) refering to a 172. The 152 is a two seater with even less useful load.

Just had to nit-pick :-)

...until the word "Maudling" is almost completely obscured.

Doh (1.66 / 3) (#16)
by Zane_NBK on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 03:07:10 PM EST

Thought both were 4 seaters with the 152 having the lighter load limit. I've only flown in the 172 cuz I'm a big guy (6'3", nonya business lbs. :). I stand corrected.

Gutbusting (2.25 / 4) (#13)
by Precious Roy on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 02:27:00 PM EST

Hands down the funniest MLP in recent memory.

Hey, that's my car! (2.66 / 3) (#15)
by farmgeek on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 02:49:59 PM EST

Actually I have done this before, although not that stupidly. '85 Toyota Corrolla with a roof rack and about 150 pounds of lumber on top (about the max the rack will hold without damaging the fasteners on the car) and four bags of concrete in the back seat (slightly forward of the rear wheels).

Guys in the parking lot thought I was an idiot when I started tying it down with thin green twine.

Fortunately, I didn't weigh down the car quite that much, and the 'twine' was about 30 feet of parachute cord.

For some reason, I'm guessing these guys got the idea from that VW jetta commercial with the mattress.

It's not a new phenomenon .. (4.10 / 10) (#17)
by Eloquence on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 03:25:45 PM EST

.. it has probably happened to donkeys for ages.