Don't work too hard!

By MeanGene in MLP
Tue Nov 21, 2000 at 11:12:08 AM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

According to this story at Ananova, some "burned out" doctor is now living Tarzan's life in one of Italy's parks. He's reportedly totally happy.

So whether you work like a dog or slack off, the end result seems to be the same... :-) I wish there was a "Humor" section.

When I let myself go I become like
o Tarzan 5%
o King-Kong 11%
o Hannibal the Cannibal 15%
o La Femme Nikita 16%
o DJBongHit 31%
o I never let go! 19%

o this
o Also by MeanGene

Don't work too hard! | 7 comments (7 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Poll complaint (2.00 / 4) (#1)
by Elendale on Mon Nov 20, 2000 at 10:42:38 PM EST

I normally would feel badly complaining about a poll, but since this is a humorous topic...

Should have:

• Kagato (or your favorite supervillan)
-Elendale (if you don't know who Kagato is, you should be ashamed... or maybe its the other way around)

When free speech is outlawed, only criminals will complain.

La Femme Nikita (1.00 / 2) (#2)
by Devil Ducky on Mon Nov 20, 2000 at 11:04:48 PM EST

Now I don't pretend to flip out and then suddenly look as desirable as that, quite the oopostie in fact. I become less attractive!

I had to choose it simply because it was the only one that had a touch of violence... instead of La Femme Nikita, I'd go more with the "Troll under the Bridge." Noone wants to be around me, because I yell at goats for crossing my bridge.

Devil Ducky

Immune to the Forces of Duct Tape
Day trading at it's Funnest
Well, (1.00 / 1) (#3)
by Devil Ducky on Mon Nov 20, 2000 at 11:07:08 PM EST

There is one other violence-related choice, but I can't always make that fttp-fttp-fttp sound Hannibal makes.

Devil Ducky

Immune to the Forces of Duct Tape
Day trading at it's Funnest
The Baron in the Trees (3.00 / 1) (#4)
by Friendless on Tue Nov 21, 2000 at 12:50:55 AM EST

Italo Calvino wrote a novel about a baron who climbed a tree as a young boy and refused to ever come down, so maybe it is a peculiarly Italian thing :-).

But, I think this is not such a humorous story. I am antisocial enough to not mind if I went to live in the bush (that's what we call the forest here in Australia) with minimal facilities and never watched commercial television or voted in an election ever again. I could live without most of the world... in fact give me a high speed internet connection and I think I will do it. There is a (IMHO sad) book about a teenager who tries to do just this, called My Side of the Mountain, I think, and his plans get stuffed up by all the losers who come visit him rather than respecting his wish for solitude. I am just surprised that the good Doctor chose somewhere so public. Maybe he didn't really want to get away from it all at all...

My Side of the Mountain (2.00 / 1) (#5)
by Dacta on Tue Nov 21, 2000 at 01:21:28 AM EST

I loved My Side of the Mountain. I didn't think it was a sad book at all - slightly whistful perhaps, but not really sad.

I thought the boy was quite happy to get back to civilization - remember how he begins to re-intergrate into society quite a logn time before he goes back home? How he goes and get's his hair cut, etc?

My Side of the Mountain (none / 0) (#7)
by Friendless on Sun Nov 26, 2000 at 08:39:21 PM EST

It's good that he was happy to go back, but I'm not sure whether that was a victory for him or for civilisation. One way to make people happy is to give them what they want, another is to make them want something else. Another is to give them a lobotomy. I would like "give them what they want" to always remain an option.

I dunno, (2.00 / 1) (#6)
by Hiro Antagonist on Tue Nov 21, 2000 at 02:26:23 PM EST

After reading DataSmog, Faster, Ritalin Nation and a couple more books that were pointing out the relationship between information and a lot of people have I wandered around for about a week mumbling "That's it, gonna go live in a cave and grow melons on the shattered remains of my 21" monitor."

Some people need something different. Who hasn't had a day where the daily grind really gets to you and taking a break is about the best sounding thing in the world.

Sorta similar, check out www.ewav.com for a programmer who decided that he didn't want to be where he was anymore.

Don't work too hard! | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)