kuro5hin SETI@home group

By acestus in MLP
Sat Nov 25, 2000 at 02:48:39 PM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

I know this is really on the Mindless end of MLP, but I know that there must be more than four k5 users who run SETI@home. For those of you who don't know about it, it's a distributed computed application that lets average schmoes like us use our computers' free cycles to work on the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence. At any rate, SETI@home has 'groups', so you and your friends can get together to try and rack of lots of CPU-hours. While poking around on their site, I discovered there is a kuro5hin group, and I thought that there must be more kuro5hin/SETI users than the three (now four!) listed. It seemed that the best way to let everyone know they could help us try to beat out that other site's group (or to at least have a noticeable effect) was to mindlessly propagate the link. Enjoy.

o Kuro5hin
o SETI@home
o kuro5hin group
o Also by acestus

kuro5hin SETI@home group | 28 comments (21 topical, 7 editorial, 0 hidden)
Is it really necessary to compete with /.? (2.11 / 9) (#3)
by ozone on Fri Nov 24, 2000 at 10:20:19 AM EST

I know that K5 is a superior site (for what I want), so I don't see the need to show how much better it is by, erm, having our CPUs process SETI@home packets.

Why don't we post an average of our IQ's there instead? Or do a personality test ? Seems more relevent.

Broken IQ test (3.00 / 1) (#6)
by marimba on Fri Nov 24, 2000 at 11:16:07 AM EST

You get a 404 and an Internal Server Error when you click on 'submit'.

"European"? (2.00 / 1) (#18)
by Potatoswatter on Sat Nov 25, 2000 at 12:55:34 AM EST

Mebbe the test is whether you have the foresight to click "submit" before you waste ≥ half an hour on the friggin questions.

myQuotient = myDividend/*myDivisorPtr; For multiple languages in the same function, see Upper/Mute in my diary! */;
Yeah, I'm a dumb-ass :-/ (2.00 / 2) (#20)
by ozone on Sat Nov 25, 2000 at 04:28:47 AM EST

Sorry, tried the test my self and had the same problem. Maybe it's the incredibly high IQ's that are messing it up?

follow the home page to the 404 (none / 0) (#24)
by tcaleb on Sat Nov 25, 2000 at 04:24:59 PM EST

If you go to the home page of the 404 error, you can take the test from there. The site with the test and the site with the cgi are different. It works on the second site.

--- "Save the whale hunters"
Seti (2.30 / 10) (#4)
by FlinkDelDinky on Fri Nov 24, 2000 at 10:49:59 AM EST

Am I the only one that thinks Seti is stupid? When I was a kid I joined Carl Sagan's group, I think it was called, The Planetary Society. But kids are by nature idealistic and stupid, so I forgive myself.

I think there probably are ETI's out there, I even think some may have quick inter-stellar travel.

But do you really think they're using walkie-talkies. Just cause we use radio is no reason to believe that they use radio.

I think the manned mision to mars (that planet doesn't deserve to have it's name capitalised, not like Venus or Jupiter) people and the Seti people are one in the same. If you want something cool take a look at some of the space scopes that are under development, they think they can get good pictures of Earth (really great planet BTW) sized planets.

Did anybody see the TLC UFO special last night. One segment had two Belguem (sp?) F16 get a rader lock on a UFO (but couldn't get a visual). If I recal they were investigating one of the triangle UFO types.

Silly question... (3.50 / 2) (#11)
by sugarman on Fri Nov 24, 2000 at 01:14:47 PM EST

...mostly cuz I'm not really a "space geek", but:
Just cause we use radio is no reason to believe that they use radio.

As I understand it, we generate a lot of ancilary 'noise' across a broad range of the spectrum. Isn't it possible that other cizilizations might generate this noise unintentionally, even though radio is not used for communication in the same way(s) we use it?

As another aside, wasn't this in a Sci-Fi flick, where our first contact was with aliens who had seen our first broadcasts, which turned out to be Leni Riefenstahl's Hitler propaganda flick? Was it the series "V" or something more recent? Anyone remember?
--sugarman--

Which flick (2.00 / 1) (#14)
by FlinkDelDinky on Fri Nov 24, 2000 at 03:11:00 PM EST

I think it's been in a lot of flicks. I distenctly remember it being in Flash Gordon. That was a pretty good movie BTW, a great pop corn flick.

Carl Sagan's Contact (3.00 / 1) (#15)
by acestus on Fri Nov 24, 2000 at 03:25:43 PM EST

In the movie and book Contact, the first transmission received by aliens is the opening ceremonies of the 1936 Olympics, opened by Hitler.

Acestus
This is not an exit.
Bingo! (2.00 / 1) (#16)
by sugarman on Fri Nov 24, 2000 at 04:20:01 PM EST

Thank you, that was the one.
--sugarman--
Radio (4.66 / 3) (#17)
by Broco on Fri Nov 24, 2000 at 06:42:12 PM EST

My understanding is that seti@home doesn't expect to intercept any alien communications that aren't destined to us. Any alien using radio would use powerful, focused signals to communicate between stars, and they wouldn't spread into neighboring systems.

What they'd like to catch is messages sent by aliens who are guessing there's a sentient species in this system, and purposely trying to communicate with us. If these aliens think like us, they'll try their more advanced communication signals (if there is such a thing), but also electromagnetic radiation (radio as you say, though it would have a higher frequency), in case our technology is more primitive. IIRC, Seti is guessing they'll try the frequency produced by hydrogen, since that's an important constant every species should know about.

Since we're sending signals out to unknown star systems, Seti figures aliens might want to, also. Sounds reasonable to me.

Klingon function calls do not have "parameters" - they have "arguments" - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.

UFO special? Bah! (4.00 / 1) (#22)
by BonzoESC on Sat Nov 25, 2000 at 02:00:44 PM EST

Why would I watch a UFO special when Junkyard Wars is on?

Normally, my sig is an image.

dnet (3.00 / 5) (#9)
by Spendocrat on Fri Nov 24, 2000 at 12:29:03 PM EST

What about distributed.net? Is anyone running that?

Is there interest in a K5 team?

You /can/ join an unofficial team. (3.50 / 2) (#12)
by Inoshiro on Fri Nov 24, 2000 at 01:29:17 PM EST

I've been running dnetc (in its forms) since 1996. I've been working on RC5-64 since 1997. All the machines involved with Kuro5hin run it using my "Dylan_G (at) Bigfoot.com" address. I also have all my personal machines running it, a few friends run it for me, and Rusty runs it on his workstations under that name. It's sort of an unofficial team, and if we crack anything, it goes to Kuro5hin and a charity (which is one of the listed RC5 charities, EFF I think).

To look at our current stats: look here :)

[ イノシロ ]
SETI - only for "approved" platforms (2.66 / 3) (#19)
by chaoskitty on Sat Nov 25, 2000 at 02:09:18 AM EST

SETI is supposed to be publicly funded; so why, then, are the SETI@home people so damned closeminded about what computers are "allowed" to participate?

I'll stick to distributed.net, where they are willing to allow people to help port the client to any platform.

Closed system (3.00 / 1) (#23)
by jesterzog on Sat Nov 25, 2000 at 03:47:30 PM EST

It's a closed system thing, so they know exactly what environment the calculations are being performed in. If someone, recompiled the source on platform X, there's no way they can tell that platform X doesn't have some hardware error or that the compiler is translating the code correctly. Then there's just the increased possibility that someone would change the code so they could send back fake results.

Obviously this doesn't outright prevent anyone from abusing the system, and I'm not saying I agree with it. A lot of people would argue that instead they should have some sort of checksum system to make sure the data's been processed correctly and the results are correct for the data. (Meaning someone hasn't just generated random unsuccessful results to get a better ranking.) That's just a different viewpoint. Probably if someone showed them a way to do it and could prove it was unbreakable (very hard), they'd consider it.

jesterzog Fight the light

it didn't work (4.00 / 1) (#25)
by mikpos on Sat Nov 25, 2000 at 05:59:21 PM EST

I joined on with SETI@Home immediately after their launch. Because their clients were closed-source, I guess they thought they could trust them (?). Within a couple days (or probably sooner), people had (presumably) reverse-engineered the protocol and were feeding the server incorrect results. The results of SETI@Home were all but useless. Many people offered (to my knowledge) very valid suggestions to fix the problems and even offered to write the code for it. SETI@Home didn't just reject the suggestions; it ignored them outright. I hope that SETI@Home has since fixed most of these problems, but it forever will have a "you're not a person; you're a computing resource" attitude towards its volunteers, which to me is completely unacceptable.

Not publicly funded! (none / 0) (#28)
by ucblockhead on Mon Nov 27, 2000 at 05:25:57 PM EST

SETI is funded entirely through private donations. Congress cut its funding entirely over a decade ago.

-----------------------
This is k5. We're all tools - duxup
Folding@Home (4.50 / 2) (#21)
by jsoderba on Sat Nov 25, 2000 at 02:00:15 PM EST

I'm running Folding@Home, a project for calculating the spontaneous folding of protein molecules. Understanding the folding process allows you to study both have it affects biological processes, as well as design your own proteins from scratch (think genetic engeneering and nanotechnology)

I like that I'm contributing to some real sience - distributed.net is doing mostly useless stuff. (I don't care if you can crack RSA with $BIG_NUM computers.) The Seti project seems to have all the users they can handle, considering all the problems with stability and overloaded servers, so I feel I'm doing more good contributing to a lesser known project.

distributed.net does OGR (2.00 / 1) (#26)
by najt on Sat Nov 25, 2000 at 08:43:59 PM EST

See http://www.distributed.net/ogr/

Thank you! (none / 0) (#27)
by spaceghoti on Mon Nov 27, 2000 at 04:17:42 PM EST

Having never joined a group on SETI, I was able to donate all of my processing time to the group. I've been running SETI for about a year and a half, and I honestly don't care if my computer helps identify an extraterrestrial signal. I'm for anything that will advance space research. I hear a lot of arguments from people who think it's wasted money and effort that could be better spent on something they would rather see it spent on. All I can say to that is enjoy your air conditioning and PCs and all the other modern technology and conveniences that can trace their lineage back to the Space Program. While I personally would like to believe we're not the only life to have developed in the Universe, I'm not fiendishly devoted to to the cause, only to good research. A lot of good has come about from this line of research, and I anticipate even more good from it in the future.

It beats spending money on the War on Drugs.

"Humor. It is a difficult concept. It is not logical." -Saavik, ST: Wrath of Khan

kuro5hin SETI@home group | 28 comments (21 topical, 7 editorial, 0 hidden)