Australian company to patent numeric Internet addresses

By enterfornone in MLP
Mon Nov 27, 2000 at 10:05:53 PM EST
Tags: Internet (all tags)
Internet

Why hunt around for that difficult remember .com address? Australian company Nascomms, utilising "patent pending" technology, have become "the first in the world to introduce a fully operational Internet number addressing system."

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad
For those that are confused already, what they are proving is a system where you can type in a phone number instead of a URL to get to a web site. It requires web site owners to register with them ($55 AUD, soon to be less than half that US) and users to download a proprietary app to enable thier browsers to support the system (currently IE only).

It's a stupid idea that is badly implemented and will never take off, but the thing that struck me the most was the idea that numeric Internet addresses are something new - and according to them "the most important Internet innovation since the worldwide web ".

What came first?
o HTTP 3%
o DNS 1%
o IP 94%

o Nascomms
o Also by enterfornone

Australian company to patent numeric Internet addresses | 14 comments (14 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
On the other hand.... (3.00 / 5) (#1)
by Denor on Mon Nov 27, 2000 at 08:13:12 PM EST

Okay, I laughed my ass off at this one - I had to vote it to section just because of that.

Then I thought: Well, at least it would eliminate ICANN's control!

So I guess there's always a silver lining :)

-Denor

definitely funny (3.00 / 4) (#2)
by Arkady on Mon Nov 27, 2000 at 08:38:20 PM EST

That is hilarious; I agree with you voting choice because of that. It's a lame idea (particularly considerig thar it can, and has, been done directly in DNS before; as though it were something useful anyway).

I'm most pleased, however, that the poll is showing at 100% for the correct answer ... ;-)

-robin

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere Anarchy is loosed upon the world.

Poll (2.00 / 1) (#3)
by Devil Ducky on Mon Nov 27, 2000 at 08:41:58 PM EST

As of right now the poll is sitting at 100% for the right answer (I won't say it in case you haven't voted yet and you don't know). I wonder what the right answer would be at on that other site. Probably 10% or so, but it would have 34674 total votes instead of 27.

Devil Ducky

Immune to the Forces of Duct Tape
Day trading at it's Funnest
Well I was the first vote for DNS. (2.00 / 1) (#4)
by josh on Mon Nov 27, 2000 at 08:53:12 PM EST

Wasn't that around before IP in good old CHAOS net days?

I'm not the Internet god or anything... (4.33 / 3) (#7)
by qslack on Mon Nov 27, 2000 at 09:54:26 PM EST

But according to my knowledge and the Linux Network Administrator's Guide (http://linuxdoc.org/LDP/nag2/x-087-2-issues.resolving.html), IP came first. (Read that URL--it's very good. In fact the whole book is very good.)

Also, you use DNS to look up and IP address...so it seems to make sense that IP came first. Hope this helps!

DNS isn't just for IP (3.00 / 1) (#8)
by josh on Mon Nov 27, 2000 at 11:15:37 PM EST

There are different address classes that DNS can work with. The most common is Internet (IN). There is CH and HD also. So you could look up an address record (A) in the CHAOS (CH) class.

See RFC 1035 I believe.

Thanks for the info about the book. I just might read it.

Let's see what they respond (4.00 / 4) (#5)
by qslack on Mon Nov 27, 2000 at 09:15:20 PM EST

Well, I emailed them the following message. I'll post a reply as soon as they get back to me. Are they clueless or is their PR dept. clueless?

To: support@nascomms.com

According to your webpage, you say that accessing web sites through numbers is "the most important Internet innovation since the worldwide web and Nascomm is proud to bring it all to life." Numbers have been used to address web sites since the beginning of the Internet. (Also the Internet was before the Web). Your site not only contains factual errors but your PR people went a bit to far with not enough knowledge of Internet history. -Quinn Slack

Devil's Advocate (3.33 / 3) (#6)
by gunner800 on Mon Nov 27, 2000 at 09:51:04 PM EST

The differences between what they do and straight IP addresses:
  1. With IP, you often end up having to specify a path too, as in http://123.123.123.123/~foo if you're lucky. With this "service", 555-1234 can be an alias for that whole mess.
  2. It's pretty hard to get an IP and keep it indefinately; if you switch providers or (depending on how good your tech is) add servers, you change IP addresses. This can be redirected as needed.
  3. You can convince your dimmer-witted customers that its a long-distance call, then get them to send you a check to cover the charge.

I hardly think it merits a patent, but it does offer advantages over "http://123.123.123" and looks cleaner than "http://www.555-1234.com".

---Ignore poorly-chosen handle for purpose of gun-control discussions.

1-900-PAY CASH (4.00 / 1) (#10)
by Louis_Wu on Tue Nov 28, 2000 at 01:39:08 AM EST

Beautiful.

'1 - 900 - PAY CASH'

Maybe you could bill by credit card on the site.

Louis_Wu
"The power to tax is the power to destroy."
John Marshal, first Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court
That is why we have DNS (none / 0) (#14)
by forgey on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 02:52:13 PM EST

Their scheme is just another way of not having to memorize IP numbers, DNS already does this for us.

- I can have www.forge.com instead of http://10.0.0.1/~forge/

- If my IP changes I update my dns config and I am back in business (something I can do myself and do not need to contact a company to update for me).

DNS names are also a lot easier to remember/guess. I can guess what the DNS address is going to be for things like Apple, Microsoft, Netscape etc. Haveing to figure out their Phone number first (and which one is associated with their website) is more involved.

What does this scheme give us that DNS doesn't already offer?

forge

This is actually not a bad way to be thinking. (none / 0) (#9)
by Perianwyr on Tue Nov 28, 2000 at 01:30:27 AM EST

In the future, there will most likely be no phone numbers, just IP addresses for telecommunications terminals. So, it makes sense if you look at it in this context. However, as mentioned above, the implementation is all wrong.

This is a terrible way to be thinking (5.00 / 1) (#11)
by squigly on Tue Nov 28, 2000 at 03:38:40 AM EST

Its totally backwards. We want our telephone numbers replaced by email addresses, not the other way around. I want to be able to dial Billy@Whitehouse.gov and get Bill Clinton. I can remember domain names. Its not really an issue to get a domain printed on a business card either (Even though their site seems to think it is).