New Windows Graphical Frontend for GnuPG (Win32)

By croesus in MLP
Tue Nov 28, 2000 at 04:25:51 PM EST
Tags: Security (all tags)
Security

For those of you who are loathe to move from PGP to GnuPG on your Windows boxen because of no graphical interface, now you have one called Windows Privacy Tray. WinPT is GPL'd and it acts, looks, and feels just like PGP-Tray. It's still in development, but the last release I got works great, and is getting better all the time. The author is also having a contest to draw what will be the official Icon for WinPT. Why not give it a try?

o Windows Privacy Tray
o contest
o Also by croesus

New Windows Graphical Frontend for GnuPG (Win32) | 10 comments (6 topical, 4 editorial, 0 hidden)
I always combine editorial/topical on submission (3.20 / 5) (#3)
by Demona on Tue Nov 28, 2000 at 12:37:44 PM EST

Is the "ew" your opinion of Win32, or of this particular GPG front-end?

-dj

loves seeing open source software on Windows,

even more than seeing cool software that's available almost everywhere BUT Windows. Windows users are not the enemy!

Tyop? (2.33 / 3) (#5)
by fluffy grue on Tue Nov 28, 2000 at 12:44:14 PM EST

Seems to me that it could be a typo which the author overlooked or something.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Going over like a lead balloon (2.33 / 3) (#6)
by Demona on Tue Nov 28, 2000 at 12:59:32 PM EST

I once told my mother, "Sarcasm doesn't work well across generations." Apparently it doesn't work that well on the Internet, either...then again, that's what I get for trying to be cute, eh?

Won't displace PGP on Windows without email... (2.50 / 2) (#8)
by Speare on Tue Nov 28, 2000 at 04:25:38 PM EST

What makes PGP for Windows work is the email and shell integration.

Personally, I don't use the PGPtray at all. I don't use cut&paste to encrypt stuff: I encrypt a whole file or a whole email message.

Shell extensions that let me right-click a file, or flag an outbound email message as encrypted or signed, is the way to go. WinPT needs to make it that easy, or GPG won't displace PGP on Windows.

[See my User Info for my pgp public key.]
[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]

something I'm working on (none / 0) (#10)
by SEAL on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 04:58:47 PM EST

Well, I guess a little MLP sums it up best. Let me point you to my diary entry on the topic.

Short summary: it's a POP3/SMTP proxy to handle encryption. I still have a lot of issues to work out before I make it publically available, though.

Best regards,

SEAL

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Is GnuPG even usable on Windows? (none / 0) (#9)
by YellowBook on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 12:02:42 PM EST

I thought GPG required a good (true) random number generator, which Windows doesn't have. Has this changed?