Buying Hardware from Dead Dotcoms

By cp in MLP
Thu Nov 30, 2000 at 08:45:55 PM EST
Tags: Hardware (all tags)
Hardware

One unexpected boon from the death of all those failing dotcoms is to be found in buying up their liquidated hardware, according to a ZDNET article. Sold in order to pay off creditors and compensate stockholders, server and desktop hardware is going for a song.

A quick search on Dovebid.com shows you could've bid on computer equipment and related office accessories from Comdisco PC, eStar, NEC, Productopia, and even Apple (the rumors of whose death are greatly exaggerated as always), and the opportunities can only multiply, as more fail. If you've been coveting a dotcom's big iron, then now might be the time to sabotage their stock and help push them over the edge and into bankruptcy.

I've committed hardware lust...
o Never, or I'm in denial 9%

o Comdisco PC
o eStar
o NEC
o Productopi a
o Apple
o Also by cp

Buying Hardware from Dead Dotcoms | 11 comments (11 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
look twice though (2.60 / 5) (#1)
by h2odragon on Thu Nov 30, 2000 at 07:17:34 PM EST

the dead companies are more likely to have sorry hardware anyway; those who bought the choice kit tend to have enough brains in the company to have stayed afloat longer. Not a universal, but definitely a trend.

"off lease" is often a good phrase.

Not necessarily (4.25 / 4) (#2)
by cp on Thu Nov 30, 2000 at 07:39:33 PM EST

The same companies which have foolish business models are often equally foolish when it comes to purchasing infrastructure; that is, they overestimate their needs and means and buy too much or better than they can afford. And when it comes to things like ergonomic chairs, it's hard to go wrong. Besides, it's all retail goods, so you know what your getting before you get into it.

Proof of egregrious dotcoms... (4.00 / 4) (#3)
by fluffy grue on Thu Nov 30, 2000 at 07:53:21 PM EST

even their furniture is overkill.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

What you don't understand is... (3.33 / 3) (#4)
by kmself on Thu Nov 30, 2000 at 11:40:12 PM EST

...that's not a desk, it's an eight-man office.

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

And your point is? (3.50 / 2) (#6)
by fluffy grue on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 01:41:52 AM EST

C'mon, I was just trying to be funny. I know I can't actually have anything which passes for humor, since my humor gland was removed at the age of two, but you cold at least bear with my feeble attempts nontheless. ;)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Ditto (4.50 / 2) (#8)
by kmself on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 02:42:23 AM EST

It's the incredible shrinking dot-com workspace. Just start spreading eight guys around that desk -- you do the math.

The executive workspaces at my current employer are smaller than the just-out-of-school grunt cubette I had in 1993, at a relatively unenlightened employer. 6' x 8' with 6' walls.

Of course, I was spoiled at my prior assignment, contracting at an old-school biotech company in Palo Alto -- had my own freakin' office, at least for a good portion of the time. Like, four walls, a door, and glass to the outside. Current workspace is an 'L' measuring roughly 6' diagonally, though I'm spoiled with an additional six feet spanning off of it due to a shared workspace and and empty workstation to left and right, respectively.

What really gripes me though are low cube walls, ~4.5'. This means:

• No sound blocking. The office seats fifteen people, with a fair bit of through traffic. Between conferences, phone calls, and programmer swearing, it gets loud.
  • No shelves or bins. This is really annoying -- I can work late (early afternoon to late evening) to avoid noise, but I don't get shelves magically at 6pm. Hey, guess what, it's really nice to have a place to stash stuff out of sight....
  • No privacy. If I need to talk to someone, take a call, have a meeting, I'm disturbing everyone else. PITA.
<grumble>Peopleware<grumble>....

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

Even worse.. (4.00 / 1) (#10)
by kmon on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 11:55:17 AM EST

This PC is going for $1,200. These companies, even from beyond the grave, are still over estimating their worth. The manufacturer listed is Toshiba, so I imagine its a reasonably old Equium. I bought an Equium for $150 about a year ago. Granted its a PPro 200, not a P-II 300, but $1,200 is over-kill. If I want to buy hardware from an auction, I'll hit up ebay. Maybe if I want to sell this old dog, I go to DoveBid.
ad hoc, ad hominem, ad infinitum!
But the hidden goodies ... (4.00 / 1) (#11)
by Louis_Wu on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 04:29:31 PM EST

What they don't tell you is that in addition to the listed features (PENTIUM II 300 CPU 64MB MEMORY 8GB HARD DRIVE 1.44 FLOPPY DVD-ROM 14.1"XGA) they are also including
  • a color laser printer
  • a collection of software (including Adobe, Microsoft, and Macromedia)
  • the Yugo that the last employee drove
  • root passwords for various K5 and /. boxes
  • and the bonus box, which contains
    • the hardware and software of PS3-beta
    • a Pentium IV chip and board which work
    • the source code to all Microsoft products ever made
    • and a treasure map to the location of the 'missing' Martian probes (The Company doesn't want people to find their secret base there.)
When you consider the items they left 'secret', for we 1337 h4x0r5 to find, it isn't such a bad deal. :)

Louis_Wu
"The power to tax is the power to destroy."
John Marshal, first Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court
Denial... (2.40 / 5) (#5)
by Elendale on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 12:31:18 AM EST

Yep, definately... I know there's a use for this monster machine i built, but so far its only been Quake. Bet it would compile kernels really quickly... if i could get linux actually running on it.

-Elendale (*curses his decision to buy the shiny ATA/100 hard drive*)

When free speech is outlawed, only criminals will complain.

My experience... (4.00 / 1) (#7)
by swf on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 02:16:30 AM EST

Well, it may not have been a dotcom (there aren't many dotcoms in rural Australia) but I have gotten old hardware from companies before. Usually the boxes are too old for them to use, but I have found some nice NIC bits and a few < 1 gig hard drives. That may not mean much to people with jobs, but I'm a student so I take what I can get.

Just my $AUS0.02 (which is worth a lot less then $US0.02)

Steven

Anyone used one of these? (2.66 / 3) (#9)
by squigly on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 06:01:31 AM EST

A DNA Sequencer I have an irrational need for one of these. I have no idea what I could use it for, or really what it does (except sequence DNA) I just want one. Maybe I should build my own. It might be the next altair.