Mitnick Prison ID on the Auction Block

By drwiii in MLP
Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 02:45:00 PM EST
Tags: News (all tags)
News

After getting canned at eBay, Amazon, and Yahoo Auctions, Kevin Mitnick's Prison ID Card has resurfaced at yet another auction site. This, after previous successful auctions on eBay for Mitnick's StarTAC phone ($355), and his TRS-80 ($510).

eBay apparently accused Kevin of being a "violent" criminal. Yahoo reportedly stated that "this kind of activity is not permitted". And finally, Amazon pulled the ID, saying that the item violates their "community standards".

Mitnick's father is the seller, since Kevin can't use the Internet as part of the terms of his release. The auction closes on the 9th of December.

Were Kevin's auctions treated fairly on the Big Three's sites?
o Yes 5%
o No 94%

o Yahoo
o Kevin Mitnick's Prison ID Card
o their "community standards"
o Also by drwiii

Mitnick Prison ID on the Auction Block | 11 comments (11 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Ah-ha! (3.40 / 10) (#1)
by inspire on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 11:14:06 AM EST

So this is how you make money in the digital economy. I should DoS ebay, amazon, yahoo, slashdot, kuro5hin, cnn, etc, and sell autographed t-shirts: "I hax0red kuro5hin and all I got was this lousy T-shirt".

Or maybe not :-)
What is the helix?

.. (3.16 / 6) (#2)
by ameoba on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 11:33:26 AM EST

Perhaps licence plate frames would be more fitting?

.. (2.75 / 4) (#4)
by inspire on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 11:41:00 AM EST

Or perhaps an autographed Windows box? :)
What is the helix?
So... (3.42 / 7) (#6)
by reshippie on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 11:51:18 AM EST

This may sound insensitive, but so what.

The claim that the company does not provide health coverage seems kind of funny. They are in jail, doesn't the prison provide those services?

As for how much they actually take in, well, they're in prison for breaking the law. Now I have lots of problems with many laws and the people that get convicted under them, but I feel that prisoners shouldn't be making very much money. They are in jail to be punished. (Not rehabilitated :)

They were being paid minimum wage. That wage was then being reduced by dumb laws, but that's not the fault of the company. And I'm sure that there are worse things for theses prisoners to be doing, and possibly not getting paid for it-like luandry and cleaning.

</rant>
I know prisoners don't get treated well, but I think this is a poor example.

Those who don't know me, probably shouldn't trust me. Those who do DEFINITELY shouldn't trust me. :-)

Not the point (4.00 / 3) (#10)
by winthrop on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 09:11:14 PM EST

When a prisoner gets slave wages, that's competition for everybody else out there. Whether you agree with the idea of prison labor or not, you got to admit prisoners don't exactly have a lot of leverage at the bargaining table.

Sooner or later, they might figure out it's cheaper to just put everyone in jail and then they definitely wouldn't have to provide health care.

Huh? (4.40 / 10) (#3)
by Devil Ducky on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 11:39:26 AM EST

So, that's what qualifies as a violent crime.

Next point:
Yahoo, turned this down? They allow Nazi related auctions, but a stupid Prison ID, that most people will never understand the relevance of, is bad.

Do we have our priorities fscked or what?

Devil Ducky

Immune to the Forces of Duct Tape
Day trading at it's Funnest
Exactly what I was thinking. (4.28 / 7) (#7)
by Zane_NBK on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 02:04:59 PM EST

So if we pursue Yahoo's logic:

- Item was removed because it belonged to a violent criminal.
- Nazi memorabelia is allowed on Yahoo.
- Therefore, Nazis were not violent criminals.

Huh? Wha? I'm confused. :P

-Zane

Novelty? (3.85 / 7) (#5)
by reshippie on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 11:42:30 AM EST

Ok, I just checked out the auction, and it's up to $2,010.00, which lead me to 2 thoughts.

1. Why does anyone want to spend $2k on a prison ID card, that's one expensive novelty.

2. Why is he selling it? The auction site did a great job of hyping the item, but didn't say anything like --The money gained from this will help to pay back his court fees-- or -- We are using this money to set up a trust for future court fees for hackers/crackers.

IMHO, if the money is going to a charity or something, then it's a very good thing, if he's just trying to sell his stuff and make some money, well, I guess that's his choice, but I guess I don't really like it.

----------Disclaimer---------
I have no idea what Kevin's financial situation is. Or any other aspect of his current life, other than the fact that he has been ordered to stay away from computers for a few years.

Missing Point (2.75 / 4) (#8)
by titus-g on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 02:35:57 PM EST

He didn't actually own the card, it is the property of the state.

Register links - <A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/14908.html">1</A> <A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/15117.html">2</A>.

<P>If yamazonbey had gone with that it might have made some sense, what they did do was just stupid, but hey, when's that new in the e-arena.

--"Essentially madness is like charity, it begins at home" --

arghh (3.00 / 1) (#9)
by titus-g on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 02:37:26 PM EST

He didn't actually own the card, it is the property of the state.

Register links - 1 2.

--"Essentially madness is like charity, it begins at home" --

Huh? (1.00 / 6) (#11)
by SexyAlexie on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 09:25:52 PM EST

Can't you spot a troll for what it is?
I'm too sexy for you

Mitnick Prison ID on the Auction Block | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)