Something for the trolls

By GreenHell in MLP
Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 07:51:52 PM EST
Tags: Internet (all tags)
Internet

This link may not be new for everyone, but it is still interesting. Apparently someone has written a thesis on a 'Psycho-Sociological Discourse on Internet Trolls' and posted it here
Perosnally I don't agree with everything the auther says, but it still makes for a somewhat interesting read.

o here
o Also by GreenHell

Something for the trolls | 30 comments (20 topical, 10 editorial, 0 hidden)
ho ho (3.90 / 10) (#1)
by mikpos on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 11:13:31 AM EST

This study seems a bit tongue-in-check. For example, they listed one of the Meyers-Briggs personality types of "yHBt", and they linked to Slashdot's moderation thread with an anchor of crack cocaine. Entertaining stuff, though.

whoopsie... (3.40 / 5) (#4)
by GreenHell on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 11:50:01 AM EST

Heh, looks like a bit of the joke is on me huh? I didn't bother clicking the links for the drugs as I figured they just led to a description of them. Interesting enough, the link for Open Source goes to Microsoft's homepage.
Makes me wonder just how serious this was in the first place. I still enjoyed reading it though, so hopefully other people do to.

-GreenHell
This .sig was my last best hope to seem eloquent. It failed.
Slashdot People (2.88 / 9) (#6)
by Ex Machina on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 11:55:03 AM EST

Only 2 people, known as Rob M. and Jeff B. used poppers
hmmmmmm..
/* ooka looka */
Bwahahaha... (3.25 / 8) (#7)
by Zarniwoop on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 12:08:09 PM EST

That's great. I saw this first a while ago... it's a fun writeup. I won't say if it's serious or not. However, consider the source- io.com? Illuminati Online? Fnord!

=)

I think ... (4.00 / 9) (#8)
by Da Unicorn on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 12:25:46 PM EST

The paper is a troll. A good one I admit but I think the clues lie within the paper itself. Data just tossed out, etc. Of course a good troll is indistinguishable from an opposing view if properly executed. Not convincing to me. As if you can believe _anything_ someone tells you online.

I gave it a neg one for the writeup and should have given it a don't care. Being mortal and prone to judgement errors it happens.

Da

I think... (3.00 / 3) (#9)
by GreenHell on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 12:39:05 PM EST

You're right. I didn't notice it at first, but after someone pointed out a few things, I went over it more carefully, and there does appear to be indications that it may be a troll. Oh well, maybe I'll notice next time

-GreenHell
This .sig was my last best hope to seem eloquent. It failed.
No... (3.66 / 6) (#25)
by Estanislao Martínez on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 06:54:35 PM EST

No, not really. There are situations where you want to take an approach like that, and people who specialize in that approach, but for the most part, trolls (at least the /. trolls) want to either to have plenty of hints that it's a troll, or argue something totally bogus.

--em

Read Carefully (1.50 / 8) (#10)
by malikcoates on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 12:58:47 PM EST

Please read the article linked to carefully. It contains tons of offensive language, encourages homosexual activity, and promotes drug use. I'm shocked that someone would have submitted such crap for a thesis.

fnord

Re: Read Carefully (3.00 / 3) (#11)
by GreenHell on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 01:09:37 PM EST

(Apologies if I sound bitchy/arrogant/anything else)
As stated in previous comments (by both myself and others) apparently the article linked to may itself be a troll, however I only found that out AFTER I posted the submission, so there's not much I can do about it. (Hey, everyone makes a mistake)

-GreenHell
This .sig was my last best hope to seem eloquent. It failed.
THAT's your objection? (3.50 / 2) (#12)
by Arkady on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 01:57:50 PM EST

You're saying that you think "promoting drug use" and "encouraging homosexual activity" are reasons to vote something down? What time machine did you just come out of? The 8:15 trip uptime from 17th Century New England?

Homosexuality (in the jurisdictions where it's still illegal) and "drug use" (in which category I'd hazard a guess you're not including alcohol, eh? ;-) are what is known as victimless crimes. These are actions which do no damage to anyone other than the actor, which have remained criminalized despite the widening social recognition that such criminalization is barbaric.

I'm genuinely shocked to enconter a reader on K5 who thinks a link to a site should be shunned simply because it advocates this sort of thing. I'd really like to see an article (or diary entry, if you think it might not make it through the mod queue) describing and defending your reasoning on this.

Cheers,
-robin

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere Anarchy is loosed upon the world.

Umm, (3.50 / 2) (#13)
by malikcoates on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 02:07:22 PM EST

I voted +1 for it. I think all those things are good things. Not only that... but reading the article closely I could see that it was not some isolated attempt at writing about trolls. Clearly the references to RAW's writings are a clue that powerful forces are at work behind this writing.

So you're comment was itself a troll? ;-) (2.00 / 1) (#15)
by Arkady on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 02:38:12 PM EST

I didn't notice that you'd voted + on it; with the length of the little pull-down display of votes, it didn't occur to me to check that. My bad.

I think either your comment was unclear as to what you were trying to say, or I misunderstood it. Still do, really, since I can't come up with a way that it could be read as an endorsement of the article (or the linked page). At any rate, thinking of it as a troll on a piece on trolls is amusing in a meta sort of way; that's a giggle.

Cheers,
-robin

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere Anarchy is loosed upon the world.

Heavens no! (2.33 / 3) (#21)
by 0xdeadbeef on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 05:22:59 PM EST

Of course it does, that's exactly what passes for scholarship in modern academia.

Actually, this paper is a clever prank. There have been much better pranks that were actually published.

The paper IS a troll. (4.62 / 8) (#14)
by Ryan Koppenhaver on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 02:34:20 PM EST

...But it's a good one. Not the author is given as "Amy Dhala". It's a not-so-subtle reference to "Queen Amidala", i.e. Natalie Portman. Also note the references to trolls named "Rob M." and "Jeff B."

To my knowledge (and you should never be completely certain of anything you learn from lurking on the troll forums (Warning, following that link may subject you to lots of ASCII art goatse.cx pictures)), the paper was the work of Slashdot troll ZikZak, who posts here under a different name, which I won't mention, as he (along with all the other big names in /. trolling) have more or less restrained themselves over here.

For a real interesting discussion on trolls... (2.92 / 13) (#20)
by TRoLL KiNG on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 04:28:48 PM EST

For a real interesting discussion on trolls and the psychology behind them, go here:

My personal favorite... (3.83 / 6) (#26)
by pb on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 07:30:58 PM EST

I like the new Meyers-Briggs type: "yHBt". Priceless.

Thanks, ZikZak!
-- pwhysall
I liked the last line... (3.50 / 4) (#27)
by titus-g on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 07:56:16 PM EST

*Applying his work to the present day issues involves not ignoring, but
challenging the assertions of trolls, forcing them into a situation whereby the only possible outcome is their concession to being of inferior intellect to those targeted by
the initial attack. This constant negative reinforcement can only lead to a significant reduction in the periodicity of attempted trolling.*

The way to stop trolls is to be trolled...

What has Harley Davidson got to do with amphetamines though???

--"Essentially madness is like charity, it begins at home" --

A very complex troll (4.28 / 7) (#28)
by flikx on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 08:07:18 PM EST

Though if you actually read it, you will notice he mentions "Vlad" (Vladinator - hated on slashdot, even by myself), and he mentions Rob M. and Jeff P. as taking "poppers" ... oh haha, slashdot authors. Others have already pointed out Amy Dahla/Natalie Portman, and that ZikZak is also a slashdot troll.

Oh well, the troll is still an interesting read...

One future, two choices. Oppose them or let them destroy us.
I hold the troll scene dear to my heart. (3.50 / 4) (#29)
by momocrome on Sun Dec 10, 2000 at 01:44:39 AM EST

I do not troll here at k5, but I have a lot of fun screwing around on Slashdot, especially the "hidden sid" called trolltalk.

Though this 'thesis' is an established troll, it brings up some interesting ideas. I would like to see some dispassionate discussion on the phenomenon here in the hallowed halls of k5. I bumped this one up with a vote for the front page.

thanks,

(V)0(V)0cr0(V)3

"Give a wide berth to all that foam and spray." - - Lucian, The Way to Write History

how did the author decide this? (3.50 / 2) (#30)
by wildmage on Mon Dec 11, 2000 at 05:33:58 AM EST

How the heck did the author come to this conclusion? I didn't know psychology was so powerful on a text conversation basis.

"Malicious" trolls tended towards strong destructive actions such as spamming and excessive profanity. They showed no tendencies towards any of the Meyers-Briggs known types, instead only indicating significant personality defect PTypes such as histrionics and compensatory narcissism. Other issues were raised with such surprising regularity that one must conclude that virtually all Malicious trolls have both erectile dysfunction and suffer frequent enuresis The average IQ of this group was 83.

-------------
Jacob Everist
Memoirs of a Mad Scientist
Near-Earth Asteroid Mining

Something for the trolls | 30 comments (20 topical, 10 editorial, 0 hidden)