The Smashing Pumkins & The Offspring: Lone Wolves Revised

By Saint Hiatus in MLP
Tue Sep 19, 2000 at 08:26:46 AM EST
Tags: Music (all tags)
Music

This article is a little old, but, it appears that the Smashing Pumpkins & the Offspring are `sticking it' to their respective record labels by freely distributing their latest CD's in mp3 format to millions of fans on the `net. here's the story.

It seems the Pumpkin's final album will be released for free because Virgin hasn't been pimp-*cough*-supporting the band in an agreeable manner.

The Offspring are giving away their lastest CD online as a means of figuring out who is downloading their music (apparently they are out of touch with their fan base...not too suprising) and as a means of boosting their sales (if you want their evidence, read the article).

Now what's your take on this? Do you think that `MP3 sensationalism' is a worthy exploition? I mean, in the seventies, rebellion was all about `motor cycles and free love'. Now it seems that inorder to be a bad @$$ you've gotta give your record label the finger and load up your music on Napster.

o story.
o article
o Also by Saint Hiatus

The Smashing Pumkins & The Offspring: Lone Wolves Revised | 20 comments (12 topical, 8 editorial, 0 hidden)
Pumpkins already out. (3.42 / 7) (#4)
by TheLocust on Tue Sep 19, 2000 at 12:39:16 AM EST

Hey there, the Pumpkins album(s) are already in the wild. SPFC.ORG has the playlist, and if you search Napster (or better yet, OpenNap servers) For PUMPKINS CR, you will find 'em. Now, i didn't like their last album, but this stuff ROCKS. Even more so that it's free.
.......o- thelocust -o.........
ignorant people speak of people
average people speak of events
great people speak of ideas

Re: Pumpkins already out. (1.50 / 4) (#10)
by Hates_ on Tue Sep 19, 2000 at 09:39:08 AM EST

But you have to admit some of the stuff on Friends & Enemies Of Modern Music is a bit dodgy!! Now I have never ever said anything bad against any Smashing Pumpkins song, as I think they are the greatest, but I just have to wonder what is up with Le Deux Machina :)

But then again after hearing Cash Car Star and Soul Power (yes I know it's a cover but you'd never tell) I'd forgive them whatever they did! Wait until I play Cash Car Star to my bands drummer and ask him to play like that :)

Any drummers looking for a band?

Re: Pumpkins already out. (none / 0) (#20)
by skim123 on Wed Sep 27, 2000 at 03:04:06 AM EST

Machina II has some good songs, Soul Power is pretty good, my favorite is Dross. In any case, it is better than Machina and Adore, IMHO, but nowhere near the musical perfection that was Mellancholy and Siamese Dreams. A big Pumpkins fan, but they definitely were in their stride and making truly incredible music in the early/mid 90s. The box set rocks, but since then...

PT Barnum

As long as it's legitimate... (3.83 / 6) (#8)
by Scriven on Tue Sep 19, 2000 at 08:59:29 AM EST

Now that you mention it, that's one thing that I never thought about, but it's so obvious.

How many of these bands are going independant because of the artistic integrity aspects of their music (Prince, Hole, all the Indies), and how many of them are doing it because they realise it could make them MORE money?

Does it even matter? I think so. This is just another case of the means not justifing the ends. If they "fight for the freedom of their music", only to see that they got more cash from the RIAASONYUNIVERSALEMI crowd, they undermine the integrity of everyone else who's doing it because they want to own their own music, and they want to produce music, whether or not it makes them a shiny dime.

Since you only hear the news that the media companies want you to hear, if it was a case of greed over integrity, all the general public would hear on ABCNBCCBSFOX is that they got taken advantage of by the greedy wolf musicians in the sheep's clothing of actual artistic integrity. How much damage would that do? Would truly independant musicians like Ani Difranco get lost in the shuffle, and get labeled greedy by the big boys, because there was one bad apple?

The thing that worries me is, how do you know the difference?

I'm not saying that these bands in particular are doing this, but "rock and rollers" like to have a bad ass reputation, and this does seem to be this generations bad ass.
I hope not...

This is my .sig. It isn't very big. (an oldie, but a goodie)
Re: As long as it's legitimate... (3.40 / 5) (#9)
by kunsan on Tue Sep 19, 2000 at 09:19:14 AM EST

Yesterday, I heard a DJ on a local radio station say that The Offspring may be sued by their label (Sony) for breach of contract... niether The Offspring or The Pumpkins are "independent" artists. Both groups are under contract, and have decided to stick it to their respective labels. Bad for the record execs, but (probably) good for us (the fans).

With a gun in your mouth, you only speak in vowels -- Fight Club
Re: As long as it's legitimate... (1.00 / 1) (#11)
by sporty on Tue Sep 19, 2000 at 10:10:43 AM EST

Well, that's all well and good. If these two respective bands DO have some mony stored up, they might be able to withstand the blow of losing to them.

Bah, I knew I should have waited... (4.50 / 2) (#12)
by Skippy on Tue Sep 19, 2000 at 11:39:21 AM EST

till this was reworked. I still don't understand how you come up with these bands being out of touch. They're giving the fans what they want - mp3. What is the definition of a band in touch with their fan base? Metallica? They know who's downloading their music and they're going after them.

I see these bands as being more in touch with their fanbase than most. They are acting as their own distributors here so there is no middle man. It can do the fan and the band good. The fan gets music, the band can market directly to the fan of their music. The fan will probably go buy the CD. Everybody wins. The only thing that would be better IMHO is if I could just pay the band right there for the mp3s if I don't want the CD. Or if I could download an ISO and pay for it. Screw the record company.

Furthermore, in the interest of completely replacing the record company, the band should cross market bands THEY like. This COMPLETELY replaces the record company in that you no longer need them for promotion either. If all bands did this the world would be a better place (at least musically).

Re: Bah, I knew I should have waited... (4.00 / 1) (#14)
by Saint Hiatus on Tue Sep 19, 2000 at 08:48:24 PM EST

Try reading the article and let me ask you this...If you knew exactly who was listening to your music why bother with posting you stuff online for tracking purposes? Outside of making a public statement? The article implied that the Offspring was doing this MP3 rebellion as a means of figuring out who was listening to their music. Sounded to me as a means of figuring out their fan base...who knows, maybe they'll `sell-out' and alter their style to match the type of people who are listening to their music.
-Saint Hiatus "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existance is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." - Carl Gustav Jung
(none / 0) (#15)
by Saint Hiatus on Tue Sep 19, 2000 at 08:54:03 PM EST

And I quote from the article: "Furthermore, it will let Offspring identify who is downloading its music, Guerinot said."
spell the subject line right (1.00 / 2) (#16)
by xah on Tue Sep 19, 2000 at 10:26:17 PM EST

Can we please spell the subject line right? Is there someone who can't spell "pumpkins"?

This article should have been rejected due to the spelling error. It would be simple for the author to re-post once he discovered the error.

Re: spell the subject line right (none / 0) (#17)
by Saint Hiatus on Thu Sep 21, 2000 at 07:21:40 AM EST

thanks yoyu almighty spelling dictator for failing to recognize that yes, I am human, and yes, I am prone to typos...and maybe I didn't catch the error...and maybe people were more concerned about the CONTENT of the article over the shrink wrap that it came in.
Re: spell the subject line right (none / 0) (#19)
by fonetik on Thu Sep 21, 2000 at 08:39:02 PM EST

Yeah! Reject it! just think of the mass confusion this will obviously cause when people start looking around for a band called the "smashing pumkins", instead of the "smashing pumpkins".
Thanks for clearing this up, I had no idea what this story was about until you came along.

A thousand compromises doesn't add up to a win. -Aimee Mann