Linux Hardware Finally with Software

By ThomasJ in MLP
Tue Sep 19, 2000 at 01:14:00 AM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

Here's some Linux MLP for you. Linuxboxen.com appears to be offering a bunch of hardware peripherals bundled with the appropriate Linux software. This could be a major step towards convincing Joe User to switch to Linux.

It would be great if Linux users could get the same kind of software that Windows users get when they buy products. For example, you buy a modem and if you use Windows you get a basic telecom program, a fax program, maybe answering machine software if your modem supports that kind of stuff, etc. Of course if you mostly use Linux, you spend fifteen minutes searching for a good fax program, another fifteen minutes searching for a good answering machine program, etc.

And then, of course, a month later you find out that you can get VoIP, videoconferencing, and ten other applications for free that would cost about $200 for Windows.

It looks like LinuxBoxen is taking a good first step towards providing this kind of service. With the greatly varying levels of support that Linux provides for certain hardware (graphics cards come to mind), at least it's good to know that whatever you get from companies like this will at least be compatible.

o Linuxboxen .com
o Also by ThomasJ

Linux Hardware Finally with Software | 7 comments (7 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Oooh, very good (3.25 / 8) (#1)
by GandalfGreyhame on Mon Sep 18, 2000 at 11:23:20 PM EST

Oooh, this is one I like. This shows a very good step towards non-microsoftcentrism. Bundling linux software with stuff is a good idea. Now, to make it even cooler, we need companies to write BeOS drivers and such and bundle it :)

-G

I saw something interesting today... (3.00 / 1) (#7)
by pwhysall on Tue Sep 19, 2000 at 09:41:49 AM EST

...a couple of Belkin OmniCube KVM switches arrived today for some project or other. I was wandering through Goods Inward and saw them lying there. They had the usual CE and Windows 95 stickers on but also a new one, one I haven't seen before.

It says "Linux Tested."
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

Open specifications (4.00 / 8) (#2)
by Lionfire on Tue Sep 19, 2000 at 01:29:18 AM EST

I think it's important to market hardware with drivers, but, more importantly, manufacturers need to release open specifications for their hardware. Linux is not the only alternative operating system, and I think too many geeks forget that these days.

We fought to get out from under the shadow of Windoze, now let's open up our hardware for other operating systems and architectures. We need to be pro-choice, not just pro-Linux.

[ blog | cute ]
Re: Open specifications (3.00 / 2) (#3)
by GandalfGreyhame on Tue Sep 19, 2000 at 01:57:58 AM EST

Bravo :) pro-choice is very important, not just pro-linux. Because while linux may work great for some of you, it does not for me. BeOS is my bag baby :)

[BeOS Advocay]

For those that don't know, BeOS is a relatively new OS which handles media very elegantly. Its quick as hell, more stable than anything I've used, and its a whole lotta fun to use too. But its not just a batmobile! You can also go to the grocery store with it. By that I mean that everyday tasks are not a problem in Be, I use it for almost all of my daily computing needs. Including browsing kuro5hin :) There's also a very strong sense of community among us, and a funny as hell CEO :) For BeOS news, check www.benews.com, and for a schitload of tips, check www.betips.net. Check the link in my sig for info and a free-as-in-Beer copy of the Personal Edition for windows. Leenucks user? No problem! PE is for linux too. Check ftp.be.com.

But before you go downloading that beautiful Be, know that because its a new OS, there are still some short comings. The networking stack is undergoing a complete rewrite, which will give approximately %2000 improved performance. And, at the moment there is no hardware OpenGL in BeOS, as that is also going a complete rewrite. Initial benchmarks indicate they kick ass though :) Give it a shot, you might like it.

[/BeOS Advocacy]

-G

P.S. To any of the trusteds: just because I like a different OS than you don't kill me for it! You know who you are :)

Re: Open specifications (2.00 / 2) (#6)
by mihalis on Tue Sep 19, 2000 at 08:30:17 AM EST

...

Linux is only free if your time has no value

I really wouldn't use this tired old potshot at linux and at the same time promote a different free download, it's ridiculous.

What would you have linux developers do? Say "We know your time is very valuable, so we've raised the minimum price"
-- Chris Morgan <see em at mihalis dot net>

good idea, but... (1.25 / 4) (#4)
by Justinfinity on Tue Sep 19, 2000 at 02:14:20 AM EST

they need to stay updated. i dunno if i want to buy a system from people who still think that 2.2.16 is the latest stable kernel and 2.4.0-test6 is the latest devel kernel. and they're a bit expensive it seems.

-justin
Re: good idea, but... (3.00 / 2) (#5)
by collar on Tue Sep 19, 2000 at 05:18:48 AM EST

I just looked on the front page and in the kernel section they have 2.2.17 and 2.4.0 test 8. Anyway whether or not they have the very latest kernels up doesnt really bother me.. also the people who would benefit most from "pakaged for linux" hardware are probably the new to linux people who are just running the kernel that came with their distro anyway.
.sig?
Linux Hardware Finally with Software | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)