Linux from Scratch

By simmons75 in MLP
Thu Jan 11, 2001 at 12:01:23 AM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

Ever get the urge to build a Linux system from scratch? No? Well, if you do get the urge, this site not only has detailed instructions, but source packages in one convenient place. Requires a working Linux system, and is definitely not for the faint-of-heart.

o this site
o Also by simmons75

Linux from Scratch | 8 comments (5 topical, 3 editorial, 0 hidden)
Nice! (4.00 / 3) (#1)
by sl4ck0ff on Wed Jan 10, 2001 at 08:55:54 PM EST

Reminds me of FreeLinuxCD.org ;) Building your own Linux system from scratch would be a great oppertunity if you have enough time, paitence, and money on your hands...The learning just might be worth it, y'know? Like the guy says, "not for the faint-of-heart". You can lose your mind over stuff like this.
/me has returned to slacking
Shop Class... (4.50 / 2) (#4)
by Speare on Wed Jan 10, 2001 at 11:02:08 PM EST

This reminds me of my high school's mechanics shop class. And why I avoided that class.

They had a small fenced in "garage" area, and they had one semi-rusty 1975 Buick in that area. At the beginning of the class, it was in drivable condition.

• Quarter 1: disassemble it until things don't come apart anymore. No welding, sawing or ungluing things, but everything else must be dissembled.
  • Quarter 2: put it back together again. Everything. From the ground up. Until it looks like it used to look.
  • Your group fails that project if it doesn't run and pass the smog emissions test. Your group gets lower grades for each part that gets damaged enough the teacher has to spend budget money to replace.

The teacher said that the same car made it through five years, with two groups doing step 1 and step 2 each semester. At the end of the five years, the car was replaced (but still ran!).

[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]
    A couple other relevant links (4.00 / 1) (#6)
    by dave114 on Wed Jan 10, 2001 at 11:34:09 PM EST

This is a subject that has been of some interest to me lately as I consider building a firewall machine on an old 486. Building a copy of linux from scratch should (I hope) allow me to eliminate any bloat on the machine. At the very least it should be a good learning experience.

Here are a couple other links I have wondered across in my searches on this subject:

Actually... (4.00 / 2) (#7)
    by omegadave on Thu Jan 11, 2001 at 12:44:06 AM EST

It's not so hard to do. Hell, I'm running my LFS (as it is referred to) right now. All it takes is about 4 hours if you have a semi-useful computer. And after doing it once or twice, you'll probably write scripts to do it automatically, like many of us have. However, make sure you subscribe to the mailinglist if you want to ever find out about erratra updates.

An existing distro for this! (3.00 / 1) (#8)
    by Uller on Thu Jan 11, 2001 at 02:21:18 AM EST

I suggest everyone interested in this take a look at Nexus Linux, a distribution who installs by using a copy of GCC and sources on CD to compile the system from scratch - definitely a distro for those who take security to levels of extreme paranoid (and who shouldn't?)

http://nexus-project.net/ is worth checking out. Speaking of which, I need to readd myself to the dev list for this project now that I have the time to play with it and actually submit reports :P

- Ryan "Uller" Myers

Given an infinite amount of time, an infinite number of monkeys with typewriters must eventually produce the collected written works of Shakespeare. John Romero's Daikatana was a five minute, ten monkey job.
    Linux from Scratch | 8 comments (5 topical, 3 editorial, 0 hidden)