The Parts of Star Wars

By regeya in MLP
Fri Jan 19, 2001 at 09:02:48 AM EST
Tags: Movies (all tags)
Movies

Came across this one when I was looking for suggestions on building my own (non-functioning, of course :-) lightsaber: The Parts of Star Wars. I find this one to be interesting because the site's maintainers go to some trouble to find out exactly what parts were used for a particular prop. Not only that, but they have links to replica sites (and not necessarily Star Wars sites!) that can supply parts if you're inclined to build your own props.

o The Parts of Star Wars
o Also by regeya

The Parts of Star Wars | 11 comments (5 topical, 6 editorial, 0 hidden)
Not Surprised (none / 0) (#6)
by Devil Ducky on Fri Jan 19, 2001 at 12:03:23 AM EST

None of the parts seem to be Legos. Well, my best replications always used them.

As for a Lightsaber the best we could do was a maglight (It's a Lightsaber and a Club!)

This makes me wonder (not for the first time) shouldn't it be Lightsabre? Or is it already and I've just been spelling it wrong (again not the first time)?

Devil Ducky

Immune to the Forces of Duct Tape
Day trading at it's Funnest
Yeah! (4.00 / 1) (#7)
by regeya on Fri Jan 19, 2001 at 12:31:14 AM EST

We used to do that as kids--well, cheaper flashlights, really. :-) Foggy nights kicked ass.

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

Lightsabre indeed (4.00 / 1) (#9)
by iainl on Fri Jan 19, 2001 at 09:35:43 AM EST

Despite the fact that Sabre is the correct British spelling and Saber is the correct US spelling, the original script and subsequent novel show Sabre. Of course, merchandisers and even Lucasfilm products regularly get this wrong and use the US spelling, but re is the correct one. See Lightsabres for further details.

Wow... (3.00 / 1) (#10)
by TheLocust on Fri Jan 19, 2001 at 10:59:41 AM EST

well, a friend of mine, a sick, sick, sick friend of mine actually built that light saber of which you speak. Paid $60 for the flash handle that was the base. Used Adobe After Effects to add the light saber beam, and it looked DAMN good during a fight.

Pretty wacky stuff... oh, he's got plans to faithfully re-create Deckard's gun from Blade Runner, too...
.......o- thelocust -o.........
ignorant people speak of people
average people speak of events
great people speak of ideas

Wow! (none / 0) (#11)
by regeya on Fri Jan 19, 2001 at 01:02:07 PM EST

You mean a Graflex flashbulb type? Holy crap. That's expensive. No, actually, this isn't the site I used. I found some plans elsewhere that help make a semi-faithful replica of a Graflex, though. That may be what I do when I get my Qui-Gonn Jinn lightsaber done, and perhaps a remote as well. I wonder where I would put such a thing? My wife's going to go bonkers if I start building faux props all the time. :-)

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

The Parts of Star Wars | 11 comments (5 topical, 6 editorial, 0 hidden)