Using its powers for good...

By Whizard in MLP
Tue Jan 02, 2001 at 12:27:40 PM EST
Tags: News (all tags)
News

Not being one to normally post MLP, I feel like this is something that word should get out about, just because it's an example of one of the bigger home-grown web news sites using its forces for a good cause: FuckedCompany.com is collecting money for the families of the seven people killed at Edgewater Technologies last week. If you're at work, try this link instead.

It's things like this that remind me that maybe the "dot-com culture" isn't quite as rife with greed and selfishness as the media would portray it...what do you think?

This is a worthwhile cause:
o Yes 52%
o No 25%
o Rusty 22%

o FuckedComp any.com
o seven people killed
o Edgewater Technologies
o this link
o Also by Whizard

Using its powers for good... | 7 comments (7 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Soylent Dot-coms (4.00 / 7) (#1)
by duxup on Tue Jan 02, 2001 at 10:36:49 AM EST

Dot-coms are made of people!

They're made of PEEEOOOPPLLLEEE!

The implication that just because they're a dot-com and that you would be surprised that they're not selfish and greedy is ridiculous. Dot-coms are made of people just like any other work place. Nobody is out recruiting and especially greedy janitors, secretaries, software engineers and such. Don't be surprised when they care about people around them, they're people just like you and me.

What's the point? (2.60 / 5) (#2)
by whatnotever on Tue Jan 02, 2001 at 11:22:37 AM EST

(According to the poll, this is an unpopular opinion... less popular than Rusty, even.)

I don't see the point in raising money for these people.

The page says they have raised over $10,000. That's less than $1500 per family. These people aren't particularly needy. They may have to switch to a lower standard of living, but the money raised won't change that.

So is it just a nice gesture? Wouldn't cards have the same effect?

I don't understand donating money to someone I don't know who doesn't really need it - who it won't even help.

Perhaps I'm just part of the reason the media is portraying this greed and selfishness of which you speak...

Don't give if you don't want to (none / 0) (#3)
by duxup on Tue Jan 02, 2001 at 12:02:29 PM EST

"These people aren't particularly needy."

Do you know who these people are, or how their lives have been impacted? I don't see any financial record or evidence that these people aren't major financially impacted.

When I was nine years old my father was killed. He had a good job and we were doing well. My mother worked as a school teacher. She was able to do that because of my father's income. After he was killed it was only through the generosity of others that we did not lose our house, car, and have to move a long distance away from where I'd lived all my life.

If your not comfortable giving any $, then don't give. I'd suggest against advertising that these people don't need any $ when you don't know them. Just because they work at a dot-com doesn't mean they're wealthy. Anyone working for a large corporation knows large profits doesn't mean everyone in the company is wealthy.

Let me clarify somewhat. (3.00 / 2) (#4)
by whatnotever on Tue Jan 02, 2001 at 12:19:50 PM EST

You're right, just because they work at a dot.com doesn't mean they're wealthy. It does mean they aren't poor, though. I'm saying that these people are far better off than many, many other people.

It's just a matter of definitions, yes, and people define things differently. Need is subjective. However, as there are people who need the money far more than these people do (I think most people will agree with that), why give it to these people?

I'm not telling people to not donate, that would be foolish. I'm asking why they are donating.

Honest answer (4.50 / 2) (#5)
by slaytanic killer on Tue Jan 02, 2001 at 03:27:32 PM EST

Maybe the sympathy of the act is better than the money. It's human decency in the face of something disturbing.

You know, this is an event considered by many to be amusing. I think the family will heal better if they see something other than laughter, and can concentrate on their personal situations.

I guess money means sincerity or something (none / 0) (#7)
by error 404 on Wed Jan 03, 2001 at 10:20:59 AM EST

Raising money is what we do in this culture.

Just a generic response. It doesn't seem to matter whether it makes sense or not.

There is an area near my house where most of the people put up lots of Christmas decorations. They started calling it "Candy Cane Lane". Well, now they have a corporate sponsor and raise money for charity.

..................................
Electrical banana is bound to be the very next phase
- Donovan

Referral money (none / 0) (#6)
by DigDug on Tue Jan 02, 2001 at 08:01:40 PM EST

It's important to point out that Pud (founder and owner of FC) is using PayPal to collect the donations, and he will be pocketing all the referral money from each person donating money that didn't have a PayPal account prior to the donation. This doesn't mean, of course, that you shouldn't donate any money; It just makes me question Pud's motives.

Yavista - if you haven't found a nice homepage yet.

Using its powers for good... | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)