The Society of Disney Haters

By gtx in MLP
Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 04:49:28 AM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

In recent years, business after business has found that the internet is a tool of infinite value in selling their products.

The Society of Disney Haters, however, seems to have found a better use for the internet: an old fashioned grassroots campaign against corporate greed. Specifically, the corporate greed of a certain Disney corporation.

Currently 95 members strong, the SODH seems to have only one goal: to expose the wrongdoings of the Disney corporation. They do not expect to ever succeed in bringing the company to extinction, but they do plan on trying. This site is packed with enough anti-disney information to make even the most loyal mouseketeer want to set the "It's a small world" ride aflame. From an organized collection of rants to an incredibly well thought out (considering the subject matter) essay to quotes from all 95 members, this site is huge. A random sampling of quotes from SODH members brings up a very strong bitter tone:

I hate seeing classic stories being transformed into mushy spin-offs for the sake of profits. Instead of teaching kids about Greek mythology, Disney gives us "Hercules"... Instead of reinforcing kids' knowledge of American history, we get "Pocahontas." Need I say more?

THERE IS NO WAY POSSIBLE TO DESCRIBE MY HATRED OF DISNEY. WALT DISNEY WAS A BIGOTED BASTARD. HE SUPPORTED NAZI GERMANY.

Disneyland...we'd feel tainted if we so much as set foot in the place!!

What the hell is Goofy? Is he dog or human? If he's a dog, why can't my dog drive a car? If he's human, how come i don't have a tail?

The Mouse must Die

If they ever make a DisneyLand over here in Australia, I will do all night protests outside it

Do they really hate Disney? Yes. Do they really expect to make that much of a difference? Not really. Are they having bucketloads of fun in their quest for the virtually unending de-disneyfication of America? You bet. Ever since the SODH was founded by James McGinnis in 1997, they've done their best to help rid the world of the mouse whose name rhymes with "ricky", all the while having fun along the way. Just look at the pictures in the members section of the website, and you'll see what I mean.

As I was chatting with a few of the original 5 members on IRC, I asked them what I could suggest to the people who read this write-up to help them in their struggle. They suggest 1) boycotting all things disney and 2) go to their website and spending some time discussing on the message boards. Become a member. It's easy.

After all, somebody's got to do something about the problem

o Society of Disney Haters
o their website
o Also by gtx

The Society of Disney Haters | 36 comments (16 topical, 20 editorial, 0 hidden)
Kick 'em while they're down... (4.50 / 2) (#6)
by regeya on Wed Jan 24, 2001 at 12:49:04 AM EST

Ford was also a Nazi supporter. In fact, Ford dabbled in panzer production.

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

Well, actually (5.00 / 2) (#7)
by ritlane on Wed Jan 24, 2001 at 01:16:57 AM EST

I wouldn't say Ford was a Nazi supporter. Not in the sense as we see Nazi supporters today.

Ford did support Fascism when it was on the rise, and contesting for power with communism. This was no different between many other industrialists of the time. It wasn't so much that they were pro fascism, inasmuch as they were anti-Communist.

It is similar to how the United States propped up many corrupt governments during the cold war so that the Soviet Union would not influence the countries.

It is fairer to see it as a choice between the lesser of two evils.

---Lane

---Lane
I like fighting robots
My mistake (4.00 / 1) (#9)
by regeya on Wed Jan 24, 2001 at 01:54:56 AM EST

That's true, now that you mention it. Dammit, and I KNEW that! :-) That's what happens when you try to simplify things like I just did--you tend to leave out the shades of grey. I feel I must apologize for my misleading statement.

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

Henry Ford and Wartime production (none / 0) (#14)
by ucblockhead on Wed Jan 24, 2001 at 11:26:33 AM EST

It is important to note here that Henry Ford pretty much ran US industry during WWII, and that he was responsible, as much as anyone else, for putting the production systems into place that allowed the US to massively outproduce the Axis powers.

-----------------------
This is k5. We're all tools - duxup
Ford was also an anti-Semite (5.00 / 1) (#30)
by kallisti on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 01:39:24 PM EST

If you go looking for the "Protocols of Zion", you'll discover this quote:

Mr. Henry Ford, in an interview published in the New York WORLD, February 17th, 1921, put the case for Nilus tersely and convincingly thus:

"The only statement I care to make about the PROTOCOLS is that they fit in with what is going on. They are sixteen years old, and they have fitted the world situation up to this time. THEY FIT IT NOW."

This link also details some of Ford's racism. He was also given a medal by Hitler himself for the work he did in helping build Nazi Germany.

To be fair, every link I could find on the subject was heavily biased, but I do think there is room to think Henry Ford was doing more than selecting the lesser of two evils.

Interestingly... (none / 0) (#10)
by skim123 on Wed Jan 24, 2001 at 04:01:40 AM EST

Back a couple of years ago it was the Ford corporation that sponsored the commercial-free showing of Shindler's List on NBC (I think it was...)

PT Barnum

Help me out here (5.00 / 4) (#17)
by vaguely_aware on Wed Jan 24, 2001 at 01:39:34 PM EST

I'm having a hard time understanding the problem here. I read the Rants and the Essay from the website. I have no interest in the quotes, if they include such anti-Disney "arguments" as: "The Mouse must die." Tough to argue with that.

From the essay I gathered the following impressions: 1) Walt Disney was a pretty cool guy. 2) Under Disney's reign, the company produced quality entertainment. 3) After his death, the company had trouble making money due to changing times. 4) A new chairman was brought on (Eisner) and the company began making money. 5) The amount of success is unacceptable to the SODH essayist, thus leading to the conclusion that they have sold out on quality family entertainment in favor of lining their pocket books.

I can't presume to know what this exactly means, but I interpret this as meaning that the essayist (and I assume the rest of the society) would have rather seen the company go down than expand without the man Disney at the helm. I apologize, because to me this does not compute.

In the rants, I see several possibly disturbing items, but I suspect if you look at the history of practically any company you'd find a similar list of complaints. The thing that gets me is there seems to be no support for most of the claims and many of the complaints describe how Disney went about correcting the error! So I'm supposed to join a society against a corporation that acts in its best interest but is at least willing to admit when it's crossed the line? Truly an evil, vile empire.

Of course the whole thing feels sorta jokey, so I can't get bent out of shape about it but it irritates me how people pick and choose corporations they feel are worthy of praise or hate on a seemingly random basis. Most of us are no different. "Microsoft is evil because they care only about money!"

"Mountain Dew rules!"

"...there are lots of shades of brown, but not too many shades of balls. - Kwil
Hate? (3.33 / 3) (#19)
by DemiGodez on Wed Jan 24, 2001 at 03:20:25 PM EST

I just think hate is a strong word and not really a joke. It's not like we are so hard up for hatred in the world that we need MLP about it.

An entertaining site; makes you think a bit too (4.66 / 3) (#20)
by Mantrid on Wed Jan 24, 2001 at 04:53:25 PM EST

One of my problems with Disney, aside from the nasty things they apparently do, is that their features have gotten progressive suckier. It's the same formula over and over. Even the expressions and mannerisms of the various characters has become formulaic; it's like a bloody kabuki play, with preformed gestures. And this latest movie "The Emperor's New Groove" totally looks like they pulled it out of their collective butts, it's like they're not even trying anymore.

I suppose if i liked their formulae to begin with I wouldn't mind...but I don't so there! And while I'm single I don't have to worry about it anyways hehe.

The Angry Horde of Anti-Apologists? (4.92 / 13) (#22)
by Mr. Excitement on Thu Jan 25, 2001 at 12:05:55 AM EST

And one that seems based more on emotion than logic. Some of these quotes are disturbing once you ponder how many people must actually take this stuff seriously...

The neat thing about vague, emotional movements that are logically contradictory yet united emotionally due to a questionable ideology or goal, is that you can use different arguments from different ends of the movement to cancel each other out. This poster is unwittingly providing an argument against those who claim the Disney corporation is evil for seeking eternal copyright to be recognized as a natural property right. The fact that copyright holders today can protect their works from being butchered into an insipid kiddie movie doesn't seem quite so bad anymore.

Wow. This poster's charges are rather brutal. Let's dissect this one, shall we. First, the "bastard" part, we find refuted here. As for the charges of supporting Nazi Germany (I shall assume the poster is referring strictly to moral support, as an up-and-coming cartoonist would be hard-pressed to financially support a large industrial nation on the brink of war), the poster generously declines to provide any support for his or her (or its, for that matter) claim. Perhaps said poster has confused Disney with Lindbergh, who called Hitler a "great man" after seeing the totalitarian state and imagining that his dead first child would have been safer there. Lindbergh aside, I'd be amazed if anyone can find a reputable source with such dirt on Disney. For now, however, there is a possible way to describe the poster's hatred for Disney: unsubstantiated.

Incidentally, the sole "essay" available on the SODH site refers to Disney himself in a generally positive light, blaming Walt's death and the new management for the current alleged decay of the Disney corporation. By combining these sentiments with the above, we arrive at the unspoken statement, "Walt Disney was an evil jerk, and the Disney corporation is evil because he's not running it anymore."

Apparently, ideological coherency is the glue that does not bind SODH together.

Disneyland...we'd feel tainted if we so much as set foot in the place!!

Good for them. I'd probably feel tainted after setting foot in Chernobyl, but to each his own, I guess.

Short answers:

1. Goofy is an aptly named character, since the word "goofy" means "silly" or "ridiculous".
  2. The poster is obviously promoting species discrimination by reinforcing the false human/dog dichotomy that Goofy so gracefully transcends.
  3. Either the poster's dog is of below-average intelligence, or the poster is of below-dog intelligence, being completely unable to distinguish fantasy from reality.
  4. Goofy possesses a tail due to horrible mutations caused by setting foot on the tainted ground of Disney World (or Chernobyl; historians disagree on the exact location to this day).

The Mouse must Die

Whoa, there, buddy. Plotting the assasination of a cartoon character probably isn't exactly a sign of mental stability...

And thus become known as "that crazy person who hangs around the parking lots at night".

It looks like this "Society of Disney Haters", like so many other hate groups today, is making unsubstantiated claims and using them to justify the elimination of a group they personally dislike and irrationally fear, while pretending moral superiority as they cling to their irrational, dogmatic views.

1 141900 Mr. Excitement-Bar-Hum-Mal-Cha died in The Gnomish Mines on level 10 [max 12]. Killed by a bolt of lightning - [129]

One thing... (5.00 / 1) (#32)
by Danse on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 02:58:22 PM EST

It might provide an extremely weak argument, but nothing more. I believe that it's very wrong to attempt to extend copyright terms. It's probably a big reason that people have little to no respect for copyrights anymore. Back to the point though, you can logically believe that authors should not retain perpetual control over their work and still dislike the drivel that Disney cranks out for the kids. I find no conflict there.

As for the rest of your post, I think I generally agree.

An honest debate between Bush and Kerry
I don't like Disney too, but ... (5.00 / 1) (#24)
by gullevek on Thu Jan 25, 2001 at 06:39:45 AM EST

... I think some of these statements there are to harsh.
Saying Disney supported Nazi Germany. Oh my! Somehow I had to read that line again. Is it the only thing everybody has to think about it nowdays.
Just point your thinger and say: "He was joined the NAZI party" or "He supported NAZI germany" ...

get real!

okay, but I am loosing the point here.

The real reason I don't like Disney movies in particiular are the reason they are tooo mushy. Even too childish for children. There are a lot of better movies for children than Disney movies.

mfg, gul
"Die Arbeit, die tüchtige, intensive Arbeit, die einen ganz in Anspruch nimmt mit Hirn und Nerven, ist doch der größte Genuß im Leben."
  - Rosa Luxemburg, 1871 - 1919
What Disney screwed up (none / 0) (#35)
by pin0cchio on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 10:38:30 PM EST

DisneyCo has a poor track record of fidelity to the stories they steal:
  • Snow White was originally a horror story.
  • IIRC, the real story of Pocahontas involved John Rolfe not John Smith.
  • Disney forgot to kill everybody at the end of Hunchback.
  • Hercules is so politically correct it isn't even funny; they changed Herc's mother.
  • Peter Pan, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and many others suffered a similar fate.
And... Perhaps the only story DisneyCo didn't screw up was The Lion King because it was written "by Disney, for Disney."
lj65
You sure about the Lion King? (none / 0) (#36)
by Captain_Tenille on Mon Jan 29, 2001 at 07:02:58 PM EST

Take a look at Hamlet, then take a look at The Lion King plot again. When The Lion King first came out, I remember being amused that Disney claimed that it was "the first original story" for a Disney cartoon, when it just appeared to be Hamlet with lions.
----
/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Man Vs. Nature: The Road to Victory!

Too bad. (5.00 / 3) (#33)
by Mantle on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 08:04:32 AM EST

I was hoping this site and this article would be a serious organized look at what exactly Disney has done to keep a stranglehold on its copyrights and by extension the copyrights of every work of creation in the United States. All I see here are name calling and complaints without justification.

I actually considered joining after I skimmed the article and caught the last sentences but after reading through it and seeing the site for what it really was I was not enthusiastic.

I think the SoDH would be much more effective if they actually replaced the rants with factual essays. I really wanted to join but instead I was just disappointed.

Mantle

Disney, perpetual copyrights, and the Bono Act (4.50 / 2) (#34)
by pin0cchio on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 10:28:25 PM EST

There's a brief explanation of the Bono Act on PinEight.com.
lj65
The Society of Disney Haters | 36 comments (16 topical, 20 editorial, 0 hidden)