Give up your privacy for some free music?

By GreenCrackBaby in MLP
Thu Feb 01, 2001 at 05:50:44 PM EST
Tags: Music (all tags)
Music

The register has an interesting story here about a "survival plan for the music industry" white paper. The paper suggests that the music industry could exchange free music downloads for having you answer 50 marketing questions.

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad
I think the proposal is ludicrous, but was interested to see what you all think about the proposal.

Would you answer 50 personal questions to get free music?
o Yes 37%
o No 63%

o The register
o here
o Also by GreenCrackBaby

Give up your privacy for some free music? | 20 comments (18 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)
Sure (4.25 / 8) (#1)
by finkployd on Wed Jan 31, 2001 at 03:10:44 PM EST

I'm all for that. I get to screw with their marketing data and get free music? Where do I sign? :)

Finkployd
Sig: (This will get posted after your comments)
Sounds like marketing alright (4.00 / 5) (#2)
by retinaburn on Wed Jan 31, 2001 at 03:10:45 PM EST

The most valuable thing a company can get from you is your personal input. The second would be money ( or soul, its pretty close).

If I was joe-consumer could answer 50 marketing questions a year to have access to my precious napster (or the equivalent) I would jump at the chance.

The company gets answers to their questions, sells the info to interested companies. Have companies pay for certain questions to be included, and sell those answers to other companies.

Of course the only problem is the 'truthfulness' of the data itself. What are the odds 90% of napster users are victoria secret models with a passion for young men ? :)

I think that we are a young species that often fucks with things we don't know how to unfuck. -- Tycho

Sounds great, what's the catch? (3.50 / 6) (#3)
by DesiredUsername on Wed Jan 31, 2001 at 03:16:27 PM EST

I mean, if they sent a big guy with a gun over to VERIFY the answers, then maybe I wouldn't like it so much. But just asking the questions? I LOVE answering marketing questions--gives me a chance to skew the data my direction.

Play 囲碁
Hmmm.... (3.50 / 6) (#4)
by Signal 11 on Wed Jan 31, 2001 at 03:19:40 PM EST

Is it a requirement that you be truthful? If so, are they going to figure out I lied when I'm submitting over the internet? >:)

I say we go in and provide bogus statistics and ruin the database - for example I'm a 65 year old gay MBA accountant who found out about the free music from the Brittney Spears website and is a CTO for a large fortune 500 company. That'll learn 'em!

Society needs therapy. It's having
trouble accepting itself.

You mean you're not? (none / 0) (#15)
by leviathan on Thu Feb 01, 2001 at 09:14:15 AM EST

I always had you down as a 65 year old gay accountant with your own fortune 500 company ;)

I wish everyone was peaceful. Then I could take over the planet with a butter knife.
- Dogbert
Damn Straight (4.10 / 10) (#5)
by the Epopt on Wed Jan 31, 2001 at 03:21:09 PM EST

Tell 50 lies, get free music? Works for me!

I can think of quite a few people whose names, addresses, and my guesses as to their interests need to be entered into such a database.
Most people who need to be shot need to be shot soon and a lot.
Very few people need to be shot later or just a little.

K5_Arguing_HOWTO
Free stuff? (3.71 / 7) (#6)
by Corwin on Wed Jan 31, 2001 at 03:22:45 PM EST

So we're giving marketing information (likely false anyway :) to a company that's going to give us stuff for free?

I can deal with that. Probably won't last very long, though. The Pepsi/Coke challenges stopped touring a long time ago, too, and that was a similar idea. ("We give you free pop/soda/fizzy-drink in exchange for your input on consumer preferances") Haven't seen those in years! But there must be other similar examples in the past as well.

That being said, I wouln't go for it. :)

I'm in search of myself. Have you seen me anywhere?
Pepsi challenge (4.00 / 2) (#12)
by topher on Wed Jan 31, 2001 at 08:57:35 PM EST

There was a Pepsi challenge up here in Manchester, NH a few months ago at the Shop&Save. I thought they stopped it ages ago also.

'topher

Funny (none / 0) (#19)
by Devil Ducky on Thu Feb 01, 2001 at 04:02:09 PM EST

I always thought those things were ridiculous, I even had a script worked out just in case...
Pepsi: "What cola do you normally drink?"
Me: "Coke"
Them: "Try these two masked beverages and tell us which you think is better."
Me: "Sure, *GULP* *GULP* Ahhh... this one definetly"
Them: "You chose Pepsi!"
Me: "What a surprise"
Them: "Would you mind your test being used in a commercial?"
Me: "Do I get paid?"

I thought that was the way it would work, until I talked to my future brother-in-law, who failed the pepsi challenge, without trying to do so.

Devil Ducky

Immune to the Forces of Duct Tape
Day trading at it's Funnest
What free music? (3.50 / 4) (#7)
by Anonymous 242 on Wed Jan 31, 2001 at 03:42:11 PM EST

Chances are I'll be able to download .mp3's of music I'd throw away if it were snail mailed to me for free.

At least free cd's look pretty in the microwave before they go in the circular file.

Need another poll option. (3.20 / 5) (#9)
by marlowe on Wed Jan 31, 2001 at 03:58:14 PM EST

I'd write a script to write random junk to the poll so I can get free music whenever I want without having to make up and type in a bunch of stupid answers.

Actually... (3.85 / 7) (#10)
by RareHeintz on Wed Jan 31, 2001 at 05:03:22 PM EST

I'd probably go ahead and answer the 50 questions, but lie on every one of them. If the information in question is unverifiable, then it's no more or less salable for whoever asked me the questions, so they still win, but I jam attempts to track me, so I still win.

OK,
- B
http://www.bradheintz.com/ - updated kind of daily

Exactly (3.00 / 2) (#11)
by Chaswell on Wed Jan 31, 2001 at 05:18:10 PM EST

That was exactly what I was thinking as I responded to the poll. Of course I would supply answers in order to receive free music (if the music is worth my time), but christmas tree the whole thing. A couple minutes of my time for some quality music would be nothing.

- chaswell

and then... (4.00 / 5) (#13)
by cbatt on Wed Jan 31, 2001 at 11:45:22 PM EST

you suddenly see the market shift and all that's played on the radio is Stompin' Tom Connors sound alikes... because all you hotshots with your big brain ideas decided to get all fancy like and try to trick the system.

But in the end, your shennanigans will get you only pain!

You will be crying to hear Britney and Ricky and Dixie Chicks. Mark my words :-)

-----------
Before you can understand recursion
you must understand recursion.

bloody puns (4.00 / 1) (#14)
by axxeman on Thu Feb 01, 2001 at 06:52:26 AM EST

For a second I thought it said "give up your *piracy* for free music"...

Being or not being married isn't going to stop bestiality or incest. --- FlightTest

Well.... (none / 0) (#18)
by minusp on Thu Feb 01, 2001 at 02:14:36 PM EST

If music were free, I could give up my piracy?
Remember, regime change begins at home.
Data mine this. (5.00 / 1) (#17)
by eLuddite on Thu Feb 01, 2001 at 11:52:15 AM EST

50 questions, huh. Well, that's a lot lying I'm going to have to come up with for a single questionnaire but I think I'm up to it.

God hates human rights.

Wrong, IMHO (none / 0) (#20)
by QuoteMstr on Thu Feb 01, 2001 at 08:49:26 PM EST

IHMO, this would be a good thing. The sheep that don't care about their privacy will reveal it all anyway in different ways, and those of us that *do* care can falsify the data. I call first dibs on the name "Mao Zedong"