Turn your palm pilot into a robot

By theboz in MLP
Fri Jan 05, 2001 at 10:40:59 PM EST
Tags: Hardware (all tags)
Hardware

According to this article on Yahoo! News a company called Acroname has released a $300 kit to turn your palm pilot into a robot.

Acroname also sells other robot products including a $99 Lego "discovery" kit and a $580 "rug warrior" robot.

With all the cool technology like this coming out, it appears that we are making more steps closer to moving away from the PC. Cellphones and PDA's are becoming increasinly popular, and with addon's such as the visor has it is no wonder. I think a robot kit is just one of the best toys that have come out for the palm since PortaMonkey.

What do you think is the coolest?
o Palm devices 30%
o Windows CE devices 8%
o Cellphones 2%
o Personal Computers 30%
o Your mom 27%

o Yahoo
o this
o PortaMonke y
o Also by theboz

Turn your palm pilot into a robot | 13 comments (8 topical, 5 editorial, 0 hidden)
I certainly love my Handspring... (3.00 / 1) (#1)
by Captain_Tenille on Thu Jan 04, 2001 at 01:39:04 PM EST

... but I don't think I'd turn it into a robot. Cool anyway, though.

BTW, re: the poll -- Why no minicomputer / mainframe option? I think it would be pretty cool to have one of those floating around. I've already got a PDP-11 (someday it will work), and some other machines like that would be cool.
----
/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Man Vs. Nature: The Road to Victory!

OT: PDP11 (none / 0) (#3)
by Midnight Ryder on Thu Jan 04, 2001 at 01:43:53 PM EST

I've already got a PDP-11 (someday it will work),

Is it not working due to a lack of parts, or a lack of time? If it's parts, I've got a PDP11/23 collecting dust...

Davis Ray Sickmon, Jr

Owner / President

MidnightRyder.Com - game developer, among other things

OT: Parts, mostly. (none / 0) (#4)
by Captain_Tenille on Thu Jan 04, 2001 at 01:52:25 PM EST

Mine's a PDP-11/23, too, and extra parts would certainly be nice. If your's had a tape drive especially, it would make my day.
----
/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Man Vs. Nature: The Road to Victory!

WOW... (none / 0) (#9)
by Sairon on Thu Jan 04, 2001 at 03:00:06 PM EST

How much does a PDP-11 cost? I've been looking for one, but it seemed to me they had disappeared. Actually I'd like to have anything in the whole line.

JPM

I got mine at Goodwill (none / 0) (#10)
by Captain_Tenille on Thu Jan 04, 2001 at 03:11:12 PM EST

For $18. Of course, that was the computer score of the century (even better that the Sun monitor I found there once) and may not ever happen again, but I was stoked.

Failing that, try somewhere like Boeing Surplus (if you're in Washington) or something similar. They'd probably have cool stuff laying around that's totally bizarre. Maybe that's how I'll be able to get a big ol' VAX.
----
/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Man Vs. Nature: The Road to Victory!

PDP-11? (5.00 / 1) (#6)
by theboz on Thu Jan 04, 2001 at 01:58:07 PM EST

I honestly don't know what that is...which is weird for me. But, what I would like to have is an hp3000 system. I used to work with them and they are so old and weird but you can still run apache on them. I'd like to have one to use as a webserver. They are a type of mainframe built by Hewlett Packard, and run an OS called MPE rather than HP-UX. Fun.

Stuff.

OT: PDP-11 (none / 0) (#8)
by Captain_Tenille on Thu Jan 04, 2001 at 02:30:32 PM EST

The PDP-11 was a series of mini-computers (best selling minicomputers in history, IIRC) from DEC that were produced from 1970 until they were officially retired in 1990(?). Of course, being only 16 bit, they became more and more scarce and obsolete when the VAX came out, but much of the early UNIX development was done on PDP-11's, and they were about as powerful (again, IIRC) as a 386. It's the sort of machine that while doing real work on it would be rather difficult, it would be cool to have up and running and available to play with -- a little bit of computer history, if you will.
----
/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Man Vs. Nature: The Road to Victory!

OT: Agree :-) (none / 0) (#13)
by /dev/Idiot on Sun Jan 07, 2001 at 08:56:05 PM EST

A MicroVAX would have been a much better choice than "Your mom" (or even "Your mum" :-)

My VAX has about 1/2 the CPU but 4x the RAM of my Palm too... funny how things change.

Just my $0.02e