Gates got game

By Vladinator in MLP
Fri Oct 12, 2001 at 03:38:49 AM EST
Tags: News (all tags)
News

But can he beat the Mario Brothers?

Game consoles have sold well during past recessions, but can they hold up to a down economy and a war? Nobody knows, but early indications are they will be among the hottest sellers this holiday season.

Analysts are expecting video games to reverse last year's slump, despite the economic uncertainty. And there are indications this is not just more wishful thinking. Amazon and giant bricks and mortar retailer Toys "R" Us have partnered to become the online "category killer" for toys. They're taking pre-orders for the yet-to-be-released Microsoft Xbox and Nintendo GameCube consoles. It took only a half hour to pre-sell its allotment of Xboxes, suggesting strong demand for MS' initial foray into game hardware. But Nintendo's IBM CPU-powered GameCube sold out in just four minutes. Other retailers who are taking orders for the consoles report similar results.

When it comes to hardware, Sony's PlayStation looks like an also-ran this year. Despite some tweaking, the PlayStation has been eclipsed by the new MS and Nintendo technologies. But the almost all the profit in games is in the software and Sony's enormous base of users should bode well for continued game sales. In a defensive move against Microsoft, Sony is investing in Square, maker of the popular Final Fantasy game. Square maintains Sony's investment will not preclude it from developing games for competing platforms, but doing so will probably not sit well with its new second largest shareholder.

Links:
GameCube, Xbox launch amid uncertain times
GameCube sells out fast at Amazon
GameCube Sold Faster Than Xbox, Toys'r'us Says

o GameCube, Xbox launch amid uncertain times
o GameCube sells out fast at Amazon
o GameCube Sold Faster Than Xbox, Toys'r'us Says
o Also by Vladinator

Gates got game | 23 comments (17 topical, 6 editorial, 0 hidden)
Analysts are stupid morons (3.71 / 7) (#2)
by alprazolam on Wed Oct 10, 2001 at 05:30:17 PM EST

and I'd bet you $20 they all own microsoft stock.

Voting down, but if it gets accepted, proofread (1.00 / 9) (#4)
by bmhkim on Wed Oct 10, 2001 at 06:43:10 PM EST

There's a minor grammatical error in the first sentence of the last paragraph....

When it comes to hardware, Sony's PlayStation looks like an also-ran this year.
Sony's Playstation looks like an also...??? Yeah. 'nuf said.

Not ungrammal (4.75 / 4) (#5)
by epepke on Wed Oct 10, 2001 at 06:49:26 PM EST

"Also-ran" is a compound noun. It may look funny, but it is grammatically correct. However, it would also be acceptable to enclose the term in quotes. Only well established idioms (not "well-established," as "well" is an adverb) can appear as hyphenated compound nouns or adjectives without quotes, and "also-ran" may not be that well established.

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.--Terry Pratchett

Not a real error. (4.33 / 3) (#8)
by Ialdabaoth on Wed Oct 10, 2001 at 10:12:04 PM EST

I've seen the word "also-ran" used mainly in Britain. It's probably slang, but I'd bet it's legitimate.
*******
"Act upon thy thoughts shall be the whole of the Law."

--paraphrase of Aleister Crowley

Also-ran (5.00 / 4) (#10)
by GreenHell on Wed Oct 10, 2001 at 11:55:49 PM EST

It's been around for quite a while, even in the US. Back in high school one of my classes involved Citizen Kane, which meant we had to know a bit about the background to the story, mainly that it was based loosely on the life of one WIlliam Randolf Hearst.

Well, seems ol' Willy had a penchant for trying to get himself elected, and failing, so he was given the nickname William 'Also-Ran'dolf Hearst by some of the papers of the time (the ones he didn't own)

So, it's been around quite a while... why someone's complaining about it, I don't know....

-GreenHell
This .sig was my last best hope to seem eloquent. It failed.
perhaps an also-*ran* (5.00 / 3) (#12)
by delmoi on Thu Oct 11, 2001 at 12:23:24 AM EST

also-ran
"'argumentation' is not a word, idiot." -- thelizman
While we're on the subject of nit-picking... (5.00 / 3) (#13)
by codespace on Thu Oct 11, 2001 at 01:18:12 AM EST

...Shouldn't that comment have been posted as editorial?

_____
today on how it's made: kitchen knives, mannequins, socks and hypodermic needles.
Xbox scares me. (3.30 / 10) (#9)
by Ialdabaoth on Wed Oct 10, 2001 at 10:22:45 PM EST

I don't want to buy an Xbox, and play the next Final Fantasy on it. Since Xbox is a Microsoft product, it probably runs an embedded version of Windows -- probably CE. That really makes me nervous.

You see, I wouldn't want to be at the end battle with only a few rounds left before the big badass dies only to have the game freeze and have Xbox throw this in my face:

Final Fantasy X has generated fatal exeption 0E...

I think I'll stick with my PS2.
*******
"Act upon thy thoughts shall be the whole of the Law."

--paraphrase of Aleister Crowley

does it hurt? (2.50 / 4) (#11)
by delmoi on Thu Oct 11, 2001 at 12:20:02 AM EST

Was this supposed to be a 'joke'?
"'argumentation' is not a word, idiot." -- thelizman
You are an idiot (4.00 / 3) (#16)
by atrowe on Thu Oct 11, 2001 at 08:26:44 PM EST

The Xbox runs a stripped down version of the Win2K kernel. Don't make comments about it's stability until you've actually played it, or at least read some reliable reviews of it.

Have you ever played Crazy Taxi on the PS2? That piece of dog shit manages to crash my PS2 about every 15 minutes of gameplay, so I don't think your comparison is very solid.

Also, Final Fantasy X will be released for the PS2 in Q1 2002. I don't think there is an Xbox port in the works.

Listen, jerky, I don't need to talk to you. (1.50 / 4) (#17)
by Ialdabaoth on Fri Oct 12, 2001 at 07:11:33 AM EST

I use Win2K at work. It crashes at least once a day, despite my using top-of-the-line hardware and having an MCSE install the damned thing. I program on it, and the API is nightmarish.

I have Crazy Taxi on PS2. I play it all fucking day without it causing any trouble. Try cleaning the dust out of your vents.

Oh, and am I supposed to take seriously a person with a @hotmail.com email when he calls me an idiot? I think not
*******
"Act upon thy thoughts shall be the whole of the Law."

--paraphrase of Aleister Crowley

Errr.... (none / 0) (#18)
by russgarrett on Fri Oct 12, 2001 at 01:34:47 PM EST

Your top-of-the-line hardware must be pretty crap. Let me guess, they're Compaq. I run 2k. Here at home I have 3 Win2k boxes, and a Win2k Advanced Server (and 2 Linux boxes, but that's a different post).

My server has been running for 4 months. Granted, it eats memory like it's going out of fashion, but memory's cheap.

My main workstation is hardly top-of the line. It's home-built. It's overclocked. The side isn't on the case. But the last time it crashed was 6 weeks ago, and that was because the drivers for my soundcard are crap. Yes I do code on it. I prefer to code for Linux, but yes I do program for Windows as well.

Why the fuck not? It's only an e-mail address ffs! How can you make such a blanket assumption about all Hotmail users?

Hardware, Hotmail, and idiots. (none / 0) (#21)
by Ialdabaoth on Fri Oct 12, 2001 at 06:59:50 PM EST

Actually, my work box is Dell. Dells are supposed to be good computers, according to the propaganda my boss gives me every time I bitch about having to reboot. Then again, the kindest word I can use to describe our shop'snetwork/hardware guru is schmuck

As far as I'm concerned, my blanket assumption about most Hotmail users is justified by the sheer amount of shit from Hotmail that floods my inbox. Before I learned to configure Sendmail to block all mail from Hotmail, AOL, and Yahoo!, I received about 30 spams a day. Of the thirty, twenty came from Hotmail. When I went to college, many of my classmates used Hotmail (without my own computer I was unwilling to use email). For the most part, my classmates were so stupid around computers that dealing with any one of them would cause Simon Travaglia either a heart attack or a sudden fit of homicidal psychosis.

Actually, I think I'll go a bit further and say that anybody who substitutes "You're an idiot." for "I don't agree with you." is beneath contempt.
*******
"Act upon thy thoughts shall be the whole of the Law."

--paraphrase of Aleister Crowley

Yes (1.00 / 1) (#19)
by trhurler on Fri Oct 12, 2001 at 04:24:12 PM EST

The Xbox runs a stripped down version of the Win2K kernel.
That's his point, dumbass. Microsoft hasn't had a stable operating system release in history. Everyone says 2000 is different, but they said that about 3.51, 4.0, and every other NT derivative too; it wasn't true then, and I'm betting on the basis of the reports I see from people that it isn't true now. (I wouldn't know from firsthand experience, because when five generations of your product in a row suck ass, I do the sensible thing and refuse to buy your fucking product, unlike most of the dumbass sheep who use computers.)
You have a firmware or hardware problem, or maybe you're just a dumbass. I do not know anyone else who has this problem. I've never even heard of this problem until you. Under those circumstances, it is safe to assume the problem is you or your system, rather than the game.

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

Crazy Taxi (none / 0) (#23)
by atrowe on Sat Oct 13, 2001 at 09:29:46 PM EST

I'm not an idiot, and I an tell the difference between user error and a crappy port. I'm not the only one who has had problems with Crazy Taxi on the PS2. I thought it was a defective disc at first, and I complained to the vendor and got a new one, which also had the same problems. According to Acclaim (who ported the game from DC to PS2) it's not a firmware problem either.

The game is pure crap, and should have never been released. It consistently crashes my PS2 requiring a reset to get it working again. It also has a HORRENDOUS problem with it's rendering of backgrounds. It doesn't. Buildings and other objects regularly drop out of existance about 20 ft in front of the car. There are times where the road directly underneath the car isn't even rendered, making it look like the car is floating on air.

I'm also not the only one with this problem. IGN's review of the game makes note of these problems, and a Google search turns up MANY other people with the exact same problem.

os confusion (2.00 / 1) (#22)
by juln on Fri Oct 12, 2001 at 07:09:36 PM EST

win ce = windows95 for ARM processors. the sbox is not going to have an 'embedded' os. It's just a pc stuck in a box, an um, xbox.

Anyone for a wager? (4.00 / 1) (#20)
by trhurler on Fri Oct 12, 2001 at 04:28:35 PM EST

X-box will be dead inside of two years, a miserable failure. Nintendo and Sony will still have the market split neatly down the middle based on player age, and nobody else will matter in game consoles. Bill Gates will consider trying to buy one of those platforms from its owner once X-box fails in order to carry on his plan to control the universe. That owner will laugh in his face and ask if the latest version of Windows is as reliable as 1980s era unix systems yet.

You know I'm right. Just admit it.

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

Gates got game | 23 comments (17 topical, 6 editorial, 0 hidden)