Comic Book Guy Alive And Well In Canada

By DesiredUsername in MLP
Thu Nov 01, 2001 at 05:35:29 AM EST
Tags: Humour (all tags)
Humour

Comic Book Guy is a stereotype. But is he a false one?

Apparently not. He is alive and well, running a video game rental store in Canada. Granted, the stories of "The Gord" indicate he is physically intimidating rather than fat and duck-like. But in all other ways, the similarity is frightening.

(skip the incoherent intro stuff, click right on through to the stories, you'll pick it up as you go along)

o Comic Book Guy
o Apparently not
o Also by DesiredUsername

Comic Book Guy Alive And Well In Canada | 20 comments (17 topical, 3 editorial, 0 hidden)
The Emperor Rusty Speaks (1.27 / 29) (#2)
by Emperor Rusty on Wed Oct 31, 2001 at 03:00:37 PM EST

We are amused.

You may vote for this.
--------------------------------
Rusty I, Emperor of Kuro5hin, Protector of Scoop

Idiot Tax (3.00 / 2) (#4)
by ps inkling on Wed Oct 31, 2001 at 04:13:59 PM EST

When I was thinking about starting a business to serve the general public, I happened across the Acts of Gord website. After reading his collected treasury of "bought experience" in running a store, I was no longer as enthusiastic to start my business. Every business major and small-business owner (present and future) should read his collection of experiences with complete idiots. It would be interesting to read stories from other business owners and their experiences with idiots, and how they handled the situations.

Don't worry about the idiots (none / 0) (#6)
by squigly on Wed Oct 31, 2001 at 04:24:49 PM EST

Idiots do provide a useful service. They provide amusing little stories about how stupid people are.

Besides, it would be boring if we were all alike

YES! (3.33 / 3) (#7)
by Elendale on Wed Oct 31, 2001 at 04:24:58 PM EST

Gord rules. Having dealt with people like this (though as a lackey of the store owner, rather than the store owner himself) i can say Gord's tales are probably pretty accurate. Kind of like tech support, in a way.

-Elendale (note the .sig, as well)

When free speech is outlawed, only the criminals will complain.
Bastard Operator Of Video Game Retail

I'll save you some time... (2.00 / 12) (#8)
by gauntlet on Wed Oct 31, 2001 at 06:44:33 PM EST

An anti-social video game store owner beats the crap out of kids that steal video games from his store, then lies to the police about it. Someone should forward the address of this website to the Penticton detachment of the RCMP in British Columbia, Alberta, Canada, and see if they can't put him behand bars where he belongs.

Into Canadian Politics?

God forbid (5.00 / 5) (#12)
by DarkZero on Thu Nov 01, 2001 at 11:12:20 PM EST

Oh, yes, God forbid criminals should be treated like anything less than the average, law-abiding citizen.

Anyway, if you read them fully, you'd see that he usually only does it to get his merchandise back, and he promptly stops beating the crap out of them once his merchandise is returned. I think I'd do the same if whiny little fifteen year old punks tried to steal from me on a daily basis.

Values? (3.00 / 1) (#15)
by cpt kangarooski on Fri Nov 02, 2001 at 08:08:14 AM EST

I don't know about Canada, but personally, I find that property is not as important as people are. Should he be able to detain people until the police arrive? Sure. Should he be able to wail on them? No. First, his games aren't worth that much (he could seriously injure someone -- he doesn't know), second, he could be wrong, third, it's not his job and generally people are pretty upset for good reason about those who claim the right to beat others up. I think that a lot of Gord's stories are entertaining, but he's out of line. It doesn't matter that other people are out of line as well.

All my posts including this one are in the public domain. I am a lawyer. I am not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.
Gord's Stories (none / 0) (#19)
by 0xA on Sat Nov 03, 2001 at 06:46:42 AM EST

I get the distinct feeling that these are in fact Gord's stories. I don't take this all at face value.

Stealing or not you can't smack around a 15 year old kid and get away with it.

moron (5.00 / 2) (#16)
by crazycanuck on Fri Nov 02, 2001 at 01:47:35 PM EST

British Columbia, Alberta, Canada? that's like saying Florida, Texas, USA BC and Alberta are different provinces. get it?

I repent! (3.00 / 1) (#9)
by b1t r0t on Wed Oct 31, 2001 at 08:18:13 PM EST

I now regret that I voted this down, simply because I didn't care much about Comic Book Guy, and it wasn't obvious from the main page what this Gord guy was all about.

But now, after having wasted most of an afternoon reading the Word of Gord, yea verily I do belieeeeve! If only you had instead compared him to the BOFH, I would have been more disposed to voting this up.

-- Indymedia: the fanfiction.net of journalism.

Hear hear (5.00 / 1) (#10)
by Ian Clelland on Thu Nov 01, 2001 at 02:55:47 PM EST

This man is certainly not the embodiment of the snide, knowledgeable, yet ineffectual Comic Bookstore Guy. He posesses the quick wit, god-like knowledge of his domain, and willingness and ability to smite those beneath him that clearly mark him as the living incarnation of the BOFH.

Now I just need an excuse to drive to Pentiction so that I can pay proper homage to the Gord.

(Aside: I just can't say 'god-like mastery of his domain' any more. It's just wrong.)

CBG isn't entirely ineffectual (none / 0) (#11)
by DesiredUsername on Thu Nov 01, 2001 at 03:27:20 PM EST

Keep in mind that the Gord stories are selected by person(s) friendly towards the legend whereas we see both the good and the bad of CBG.

Play 囲碁
X Days... (5.00 / 2) (#13)
by CrayDrygu on Thu Nov 01, 2001 at 11:54:38 PM EST

The best story in there is definitely "The Sign." For those too lazy to click on the link (like I usually am)...

New project. I'm hanging up a sign similiar to "Now serving #" or "# of accident free days", and it will have a spot where I hang numbers.

Only, it will say "# of days where management hasn't had to deal with an idiot."

And when I have to deal with an idiot, I'll sigh, reach over, and take down all the numbers leaving a "0".

If I'm lucky, the person who is the idiot will be so offended they will never return...

Good Game, Bad Meta-Game (none / 0) (#14)
by hebble on Fri Nov 02, 2001 at 04:09:04 AM EST

This guy is impressive in a small way, but he seems awfully insecure. The truly shrewd player exploits stupidity, rather than pointing it out in order to feel superior. Sell the fools fake mod chips, blackmail pirates, etc. Be creative in a useful way for once.

this guy is a nutcase (none / 0) (#17)
by crazycanuck on Fri Nov 02, 2001 at 01:49:19 PM EST

read the "book of vengeance" he's a big fat social reject who likes to bully other people.

this guy is also delusional (none / 0) (#18)
by crazycanuck on Fri Nov 02, 2001 at 04:46:31 PM EST

everyone who disagrees with him is on welfare. he triumphs against all odds, every time. me thinks he forgot to take his medication

Give money to Gord (4.50 / 2) (#20)
by 0xA on Sat Nov 03, 2001 at 06:50:07 AM EST

Did anyone else notice this?

If you want you can donate money to Gord via Pay Pal. Ooo, ooo, me first.