/dev/null/nethack Tournament 2001

By Arkady in MLP
Wed Oct 31, 2001 at 06:31:11 PM EST
Tags: News (all tags)
News

Tonight (Halloween) at midnight Pacific U.S. Time, /dev/null's third Annual NetHack Tournament opens. As with past years, the Tournament is open to anyone who'd like to play. We're also open to anyone who'd like to volunteer to run a game server, since (though we have a T1 hosting the main game server) play can be slow across the transoceanic links.

/dev/null is a loose association of networking geeks, unincorporated and noncommercial. We make no money from this; we just do it for giggles.

The prize structure going in, as we're open to suggestions to change this during the Tournament, is:

Prizes
The "standard" prizes will go to:

• Highest Score
  • 1st, 2nd and 3rd Highest Score in each class
The "additional" prizes will go to:
  • Most Ascensions
  • Lowest Scored Ascension

Since we'd appreciate volunteer servers to help speed the game play up for folks not near Oakland, California, here's roughly what you need to host:

Server Requirements
Remember, before volunteering, that anyone with admin level access to a game server box is not allowed to compete. So don't volunteer to host if you want to be a contender.

• a multi-user NetHack installation (thus, probably, a Unix of some sort; the /dev/null server is an OpenBSD system)
  • sufficient speed/disk/memory to support 250 player accounts and 25 concurrent players (ours is a P133 with 64M of memory and 2.5G of disk)
  • a dedicated Internet connection (our is on a T1)
  • since NetHack needs real user accounts, we'd recommend that it be a dedicated system (the players will need to be entered in /etc/passwd to play on the box)

The K5 community was very helpful with last year's Tournament, as these two articles having been posted on K5 attest, even to two readers here volunteering to run game servers. Thank, again!

o /dev/null' s third Annual NetHack Tournament
o these
o two
o K5
o Also by Arkady

/dev/null/nethack Tournament 2001 | 6 comments (5 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)
Lowest scored ascention? (none / 0) (#1)
by fluffy grue on Wed Oct 31, 2001 at 05:24:02 PM EST

Um, are you really giving out a prize for the easiest damn thing to do in the game? :) Unless there's some way of getting a negative score, it's easy to ascend with a score of 0 - go up the stairs in the very first room.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Oops, nevermind (none / 0) (#2)
by fluffy grue on Wed Oct 31, 2001 at 05:27:18 PM EST

Looks like the lowest score I could manage quickly was a 3.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Ascend (4.00 / 1) (#5)
by PresJPolk on Thu Nov 01, 2001 at 02:36:44 AM EST

It's not just to ascend, it's to ascend to demigod(dess)hood. Don't just go up the stairs, go up with the Amulet.

Not that easy. Don't tell me it's easy when I had my best game ever last night, and I starved during my climb up *with the Amulet*, two levels beneath the castle. Starved!

Argh...

University's trunks are pretty much huge. (none / 0) (#3)
by Surial on Wed Oct 31, 2001 at 05:28:14 PM EST

I don't know about the rest of the world, but my particular university has a real kicker of an internet trunk, I think they have something akin to 1 Gbps coming in and out and a ton of IP addresses (enough anyhow to give every single lab PC in the entire city block dedicated to the university buildings a unique IP together with every single student).

They also allow you to bring in computers and plug them into the nearest UTP socket. Fair enough, they would certainly like to know what the thing will be used for, but as long as it's not for a diabolic plan to take over the world, it's pretty much okay.

I doubt P133's with some silly ram and GB requirements are the problem, so perhaps this is worth checking out?

NB: School i'm talking about is TU Delft, Holland, and no, I'm not into RPG nerding; only into programming nerding, so I don't really feel like doing such a thing myself. But perhaps somebody else could?
"is a signature" is a signature.

My best ascension.. (none / 0) (#6)
by Rainy on Thu Nov 01, 2001 at 10:17:08 AM EST

Okay, I know this means showing off, but I have to share :-). I ascended a wishless polypileless genocideless tourist. After I did that, about a year ago, I stopped playing because I don't think I'll ever top that. I did read spoilers but didn't use any cheats like saving. Here's my ascension.

And right before that one I prayed on the wrong altar in astral plane and ascended in celestial disgrace. Doh!
Rainy "Collect all zero" Day