More Free-OS Cutbacks

By regeya in MLP
Mon Oct 08, 2001 at 05:04:54 AM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

Looks like Linux isn't the only OS affected this year. Wind River just laid off several staffers involved in the FreeBSD project. A Q&A session is available here, at kuro5hin's most hated website.

It's important to note that, as has been noted in the past, that the free-software world isn't the only field affected by cutbacks in the last year, but is probably more noticible to most young, tech-minded people. It's also important to note that it's not just the Linux side of things that's been affected this year.

Hopefully, people will manage to keep their heads glued on straight and realize that what makes FreeBSD work so well isn't Wind River support, per se, but rather an enviable level of organization and a tremendous volunteer effort. Let's hope that the paid staffers find jobs elsewhere to continue developing FreeBSD. Perhaps Yahoo! could step up to the plate and give even more back to the FreeBSD community. :-)

Do you, uh, FreeBSD?
o Yes! 38%
o No! 41%
o Yaaaahoooooooooo! 20%

o Kuro5hin
o Yahoo
o FreeBSD
o here
o most hated website
o Also by regeya

More Free-OS Cutbacks | 7 comments (7 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Not really a surprise (4.50 / 2) (#1)
by simon farnz on Fri Oct 05, 2001 at 05:23:44 PM EST

Wind River's biggest revenue stream is VxWorks; VxWorks revenues are aided by the licence fees. The Free OS's (especially BSD-licenced) represent a threat to that revenue. You need to cut costs. Who do you cut? The threat to your big seller of course!

The only surprise is that this didn't happen earlier.
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns

It might also be of interest that... (3.50 / 4) (#2)
by Anonymous 6522 on Fri Oct 05, 2001 at 05:57:40 PM EST

...the expected release date of FreeBSD 5.0 has been pushed back a full year for similar reasons.

similar reasons (4.50 / 4) (#3)
by hurstdog on Fri Oct 05, 2001 at 10:11:44 PM EST

Not too similar. Mostly it was cause they overcommitted themself. They took on too much, realized they couldn't get it out in the current timeframe, so pushed back the timeframe. It wasn't related to cutbacks or anyone leaving, from what I've heard.

At least they're honest. (4.66 / 3) (#4)
by Ialdabaoth on Sat Oct 06, 2001 at 10:55:44 PM EST

So what if the FreeBSD people pushed back 5.0. 4.4-RELEASE is available, and it works very well. At least the FreeBSD people are honest enough to push back an unrealistic release date.

Microsoft, on the other hand, is more concerned with getting a product to market on an arbitrary date than with bringing a good product to market when it's ready.

To paraphrase Orson Welles: We shall release no software before its time.
*******
"Act upon thy thoughts shall be the whole of the Law."

--paraphrase of Aleister Crowley

FreeBSD 4.4 is wonderful... (none / 0) (#5)
by marmoset on Mon Oct 08, 2001 at 11:07:45 AM EST

I hope this doesn't come across like an advocacy post, but I need to say it...

I installed FreeBSD on my workstation at the office for the first time a few weeks ago, and I really like it. I've been a Mandrake Linux user for a couple of years, and I was initially wary because of the perception of lower availability of "off-the-shelf" software (things like Acrobat, etc.) for *BSD, but then I discovered how well Linux ABI support works in FreeBSD.

Anyway, I am very impressed by the performance (subjectively faster than Mandrake, at any rate), the memory footprint (definitely smaller), and the elegance of the FreeBSD ports system.

Advocacy (none / 0) (#6)
by akharon on Mon Oct 08, 2001 at 08:36:19 PM EST

Go ahead and advocate! I've been using it for about 6 months now, after a 4 year SuSE and RH background, and I just love that a minimal install is just that -- MINIMAL. No X, RHN, or whatever they're trying to sell me. The other day I started helping a buddy install RH7.1 because he needs it for a class he's in, and it was downright agravating, to the point where I was yelling at the machine (I wish Bob Young could have heard it) because it would install stuff I told it not to. I remember 7.0 being even worse. BTW, hype ports up more, those are just friggin' cool! :)

Hehe (none / 0) (#7)
by regeya on Sun Oct 21, 2001 at 07:15:55 PM EST

Yeah (and I realize this is a couple of weeks too late; sorry) Ports is l33t.

My only problem is that I use *n?x as a desktop OS and FreeBSD just doesn't do it for me. Methinks it's the scheduler, combined with what is perhaps a subpar sound driver, as audio constantly cut out on me while trying to play MP3s and Vorbs.

Right now I'm using Debian Sid, and with Debian, as with *BSD, minimal can be MINIMAL. Software installation isn't quite as elegant as Ports. The main thing that's keeping me with Linux right now is the preemptible scheduling patch. Anything that has "realtime" priority takes priority.

I hear rumors that FreeBSD will get preemptible scheduling in the future; when that happens, the OS will be more suitable for a desktop OS, IMHO.

The system I'm rooting for now is Gentoo Linux, though I'm not currently using it. Its Portage tree uses Python rather than Makefiles. May sound weird, but while there are several different Make implementations, there is, more or less, just one Python so far. :-)

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

More Free-OS Cutbacks | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)