FAQS.ORG running out of money

By delmoi in MLP
Mon Nov 05, 2001 at 09:26:08 AM EST
Tags: Internet (all tags)
Internet

The website faqs.org has run out of money, and will soon shut down if it doesn't find some system to pay for bandwidth. For anyone who hasn't seen the site, it's really useful. Basically every RFC is there, along with some other useful docs.

o faqs.org
o run out of money
o Also by delmoi

FAQS.ORG running out of money | 12 comments (6 topical, 6 editorial, 0 hidden)
Mirrors? (2.00 / 1) (#4)
by Perpetual Newbie on Sun Nov 04, 2001 at 11:30:32 PM EST

Too broke to help, but I could at least not use up more of their costly bandwidth to leech a copy of the site. Anyone have a mirror?

Mirror (none / 0) (#7)
by roiem on Mon Nov 05, 2001 at 03:30:32 AM EST

But of course!
(but be careful when you follow any of the links.)
90% of all projects out there are basically glorified interfaces to relational databases.
Things like this are victims of net Darwin (3.75 / 4) (#9)
by ennui on Mon Nov 05, 2001 at 10:25:10 AM EST

Two points. First, and no offense, but this is largely content that is available elsewhere, software writers won't be crippled by a lack of RFC's resources if faqs.org goes away.

Second, in this day and age, bandwidth is dirt cheap and sometimes free, and if you're paying too much for it that's your problem, and not something that justifies donations. I run a virtual hosted site as a hobby, I get 3 GIGS of transfer a month, 50 megs of disk, a bunch of email accounts, all the stardard cgi stuff and PHP for $10US/month, and they offer 10 megs of disk and a gig of transfer for $5/month. There's no setup fee. Additional gigs of transfer are $2. This wasn't even the best deal I found (there are advert-supported free virtual hosting sites, but I wasn't interested in ads, check google).

My way of thinking is if you don't have $10/month to pay for a website with a deal like that, perhaps you should be devoting more time and energy to resume writing and finding a job, or perhaps modifying your personal finance picture. $10 a month isn't a lot of money, I used to smoke about $50/month worth of cigarettes, so if I enjoyed my hobby site as much as I did smoking I'd get a gig of disk, 25 gigs of traffic, and a bunch of other crap for that $50/month.

So the upshot is, if you transfer less than a gig a month (and you probably do) you can host the site for about $5/month plus the domain name cost. If you don't want to spend slightly more than $5/month, ask the right people, people will donate webspace to you or you can get advert-supported space.

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone." -- Al Capone
Where? (none / 0) (#12)
by brunes69 on Sun Nov 11, 2001 at 10:01:43 PM EST

Where do you have this hosting deal???? Please let me know!

---There is no Spoon---
Perhaps worth it after all (4.33 / 3) (#10)
by ghjm on Mon Nov 05, 2001 at 10:59:16 AM EST

If you're like me, you probably went and looked at the site (consuming oh so precious bandwidth) and thought, "hmm, never seen this before, why should I care now?"

I don't know about anyone else, but as an old fogey, when I think of RFCs/FAQs I think of the Ohio State archive. Well, as it turns out, Ohio State has discontinued their service and now links to this faqs.org site. It looks like they are carrying the baton for (one of) the "real" RFC repositories.

Naturally the RFCs/FAQs will always be mirrored somewhere, but there should still be a central authoritative archive to mirror from. If the maintainer of faqs.org is willing to do librarian duty, bandwidth should be made available. The big question is how. Getting everyone to throw in a few dollars via PayPal isn't a viable long-term strategy.

-Graham

rtfm.mit.edu is still there (4.25 / 4) (#11)
by pfaffben on Mon Nov 05, 2001 at 12:35:58 PM EST

rtfm.mit.edu is still there, and not going away. That's a good enough source of FAQs for me.

FAQS.ORG running out of money | 12 comments (6 topical, 6 editorial, 0 hidden)