Great quotes regarding Napster

By GreenCrackBaby in MLP
Tue Feb 13, 2001 at 09:05:37 PM EST
Tags: Music (all tags)
Music

This is pure MLP, and you're probably tired of the whole Napster thing already, but salon.com has a great article comprised of interviews with a wide variety of people talking about the Napster decision.

I'd be interested to hear other's reactions to the great quotes from the article.

Here's some meat if you're don't care to check out the link:

Jack Valenti, president and CEO, Motion Picture Association of America
The biggest beneficiary from today's decision will be the consumer...

Mark Cuban, founder of Broadcast.com
Just another example of the recording industry doing its best to shoot itself in the head...
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Jimmy Greer, a manager at Revolver, which represents the band Everclear
The Internet is never going to be a viable outlet for sales, or significantly hurt sales.

Eben Moglen, professor of law, Columbia Law School
Industry members will have created a situation that they can only control by going to war with their own customers. They've attempted to murder Napster, and they've actually shot themselves in the head. Self-murder or suicide, they're dead either way -- it's an untenable business strategy in the long run to be at war with your own customers. But shutting down Napster will give them no one to sue but the listeners. This is one of those rare, but nonetheless important, situations in which victory in a lawsuit is defeat in the world.

o great article
o Also by GreenCrackBaby

Great quotes regarding Napster | 19 comments (15 topical, 4 editorial, 0 hidden)
Professional Piracy is a Joke (5.00 / 1) (#1)
by Seumas on Tue Feb 13, 2001 at 06:04:37 PM EST

There's lots of funny stuff to say about Napster, because it is a joke unto itself. Just another "hey, we're for the little guy / we're for the right cause" proponent, until riding that statement leads them to a big deal and they can become rich off of it.

Gnutella is too much of a hassle to bother with. I'll stick to good old fashioned private FTP servers and trade among friends (which, possibly, might be protected as fair-use -- and even if not, the old wrinkled-bastards running the media-conglomerates can suck me).
I just read K5 for the articles.

(Technical) Question (none / 0) (#4)
by Dacta on Tue Feb 13, 2001 at 06:21:42 PM EST

What don't you like about Gnutella? I'm asking from the technical perspective, really...

Personally, I can't use it because I'm in Australia with a 56K modem, and my bandwidth gets taken up with queries.

I've heard lots of complaints about the user interface, though. Is that what causes you the hassle?

Mostly... (5.00 / 1) (#5)
by Seumas on Tue Feb 13, 2001 at 06:27:45 PM EST

I'm on a 640k DSL like and I can't download through Gnutella at anything beyond a painfully slow speed. And yeah, the interfaces I've tried all suck. I don't need 'free music' that badly.

Maybe Gnutella will get in shape down the road. I keep hoping.
I just read K5 for the articles.

gnutella and bandwidth (3.00 / 1) (#12)
by Delirium on Tue Feb 13, 2001 at 07:06:48 PM EST

Well, the bandwidth problems continue even for those of us on T1+ connections, because Gnutella's distributed nature means that my queries get routed through the people with 56.6 k modems, so everyone's queries are slowed to a crawl. Unless all the low-speed people restrict themselves to one connection (thereby not routing any packets), the entire network will go at around the speed of these slowest members.

Isn't this too late? (none / 0) (#6)
by Nyarlathotep on Tue Feb 13, 2001 at 06:36:07 PM EST

Didn't the RIAA get a deal with Napster where they take a cut of napsters profits? This type of "protection money" deal is exactly what they wanted all along. Now, the people at the top can ignore the artists even more since (a) this is money they need not pay to the artist and (b) they are making money off the distribution of unsigned artists too.

Regardless, Eben Moglen's quote is likely to be wrong. The indistry dose not need to "fight it's customers." It only needs to keep it's customers using Napster instead of IRC, FTP, Gnutella, or alternative Napster servers. This is the classic "provide a fredom reducing service, but market it well" ploy that frequently works for companies.

Fortunatly, there is one glimmer of light for the P2P music sharing world: P2P requires people to host stuff. Napster will be paying the RIAA off with a new pay service with will run parallel to their current service. It seems likely that the pay service will offer the serices of the download sites with the best bandwidth, but those download sites will not be compensated. The solution is to convince people to use special Napster clients which serve courpted mp3s to anyone who is on the pay service. This will degrade Napster's pay service and limit the income of the RIAA by encuraging people to stay wit hthe free service.

Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!
partly correct (4.00 / 1) (#8)
by rebelcool on Tue Feb 13, 2001 at 06:48:11 PM EST

it was bertlesmann AG (i'm not sure if they're a member of RIAA..bertlesmann is the mega-european media company. They probably are though) that made the deal with napster. However, bertlesmann obviously does not speak for the rest of the companies that were still involved in the suit, such as Universal records.

Actually i believe bertlesmann was named in the suit, because their deal with napster was drop litigation once napster came up with a viable business plan for charging customers, which so far has not been put into action.

The way I see it, napster as we know it will soon be dead. Not that this is a bad thing..we've all learned alot from napster and just how powerful and viable its idea is. Now is the time for others to come and take its place, the sons of napster so to speak.

Now i know some will say "yes, look at gnutella!"..but none of the current alternatives i would say are viable replacements. Certinaly not gnutella whos protocol is too flawed for its current use, much less mainstream.

But i bet it wont be long before someone comes up with a good plan that corrects some of the issues with napster, while making the service just as useful.

COG. Build your own community. Free, easy, powerful. Demo site

you raised one of the problems.. (none / 0) (#9)
by rebelcool on Tue Feb 13, 2001 at 06:53:03 PM EST

the protocol is a flawed design that makes finding and downloading painful. I got gnutella, and to test it i looked for a metallica song (i figured that would be an easy way of seeing how responsive it was)..i'm on a T1. After 10 minutes of no indication it was even searching, I gave up.

Another problem is the way how gnutella works for ANY kind of file. This may be good from certain standpoints, however when I am downloading MP3's, there are certain things i want to know. That is the file length, the bit rate, and length of the song. Gnutella does not offer that information.

All in all, the idea is GOOD..implementation is bad. A new, reworked protocol is in order.

COG. Build your own community. Free, easy, powerful. Demo site

uh..hmm. (none / 0) (#10)
by rebelcool on Tue Feb 13, 2001 at 06:54:01 PM EST

This was supposed to go a reply on the bottom of the page. For some reason it got kicked up top..sorry all because i know it has nothing to do with the story :)

COG. Build your own community. Free, easy, powerful. Demo site

Alternatives (3.00 / 1) (#11)
by Philipp on Tue Feb 13, 2001 at 06:59:39 PM EST

There is a good article on Wired about Alternatives. I tried Gnutella and OpenNap lately. Never found anything useful on Gnutella, but OpenNap is very good. ANy other experiences?

alias kn 'killall -9 netscape-communicator'
Good stuff on gnutella (none / 0) (#14)
by squigly on Wed Feb 14, 2001 at 03:06:57 AM EST

Its weird. I tried a gnutella client, and found next to nothing. I tried another, and found loads of stuff. Dozens of hits for just about anything.

Both had automatic connections, so speculation suggests that there are several small Gnutella networks.

People who sig other people have nothing intelligent to say for themselves - anonimouse
Which clients did you use? (none / 0) (#16)
by psyclone on Wed Feb 14, 2001 at 07:31:50 AM EST

I'm trying limewire now and it seems variable (sometimes I have connections to hundreds of hosts, other times there are only a few).

gnutella client (none / 0) (#17)
by squigly on Wed Feb 14, 2001 at 08:58:54 AM EST

I think the good one was Gnotella. But its not great - it seems to be an awful resource hog, and seems to freeze for loing periods, refusing to redraw.

Does Jack Valenti have original thoughts? (4.00 / 1) (#15)
by squigly on Wed Feb 14, 2001 at 03:13:52 AM EST

Jack Valenti's comment was about 50% cliche. He seems to believe what he says as a matter of Dogma rather than as considered arguments.

I'll say one thing, and then never again... (5.00 / 1) (#18)
by minusp on Wed Feb 14, 2001 at 09:06:22 AM EST

The RIAA / music publishing companies should be PAYING people to hand out MP3s. I mean, they sound awful^H^H^H^H^H not so good, unless your ears are blown out.... All MP3s have done for me is expose me to music that for which I am willing to trade money for sound quality. I now buy 2-3 CDs a month, instead of 2-3 a year, not enough difference? I don't buy what I can't hear, and most of what I do buy is NOT on radio...
I would guess that those who would not pay for CDs instead of MP3, wouldn't anyway...
Remember, regime change begins at home.
Re: buying CDs (none / 0) (#19)
by Phaser777 on Wed Feb 14, 2001 at 10:29:03 AM EST

You're not the only one who will pay for a decent sound quality. Most of what I listen to isn't on the radio either (the radio selections in my area seem to be: talk, classical, and britney spears crap), and if I hadn't initially downloaded some mp3s to demo, I'd still be buying 1-2 CDs a year because I don't like spending $14 for something I might hate.
My business plan:
Obtain the patents for something (the more obvious and general the better)
Wait until someone else adopts the idea and becomes rich off it.
Sue them.