The Verse Protocol for Distributed 3D Graphics

By Emil Brink in MLP
Tue Feb 27, 2001 at 05:43:06 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

Verse is another project aiming to realize the old "3D Internet" dream. However, it is not "yet another 3D Internet project". Verse is different. By focusing on protocol and communication interface design together with server and API coding, rather than application and world design, we aimed to actually get somewhere and not get hung up on artistic issues. Now, we need your help...

Architecturally, Verse is client/server, but the server only stores and manages data. It contains no application-specific intelligence, leaving that for specialized clients. A small but growing set of clients exists today. Writing a new client from scratch can be very easy.

The entire project is being developed using free and open licenses (GPL, LGPL and BSD in a potent mix). We use some rather nifty 3D and networking technology, such as subdivision surfaces, programmable shaders and event compression.

Verse has been under silent development for ~20 months, with two fulltime developers funded by the Interactive Institute, a Swedish research company. This means that unlike many other projects in this genre, Verse is not very vaporous. We have code now, and we have lots of it. We're far from done, though, and now we need some help from the community. If you know C, and like to fiddle with 3D graphics, physics simulation, collision detection, game rules, virtual machines and code interpretation or any some such, please look into Verse!

Verse is hosted by SourceForge, at verse.sourceforge.net.

o Interactiv e Institute
o verse.sour ceforge.net
o Also by Emil Brink

The Verse Protocol for Distributed 3D Graphics | 18 comments (11 topical, 7 editorial, 0 hidden)
Ack! (none / 0) (#1)
by fluffy grue on Tue Feb 27, 2001 at 12:44:29 PM EST

No no no no no no no no no! Ack! No no no!

There goes my dissertation topic. Again. *sigh*
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Heh... (none / 0) (#3)
by whatnotever on Tue Feb 27, 2001 at 01:37:34 PM EST

Funny, I just made the connection last night that it was *you* over on flipcode... And when I saw this title, you were the first thing to come to mind, so I immediately checked to see if you had posted a comment. :-)

follow your dreams (none / 0) (#6)
by jeanlucpikachu on Tue Feb 27, 2001 at 04:50:54 PM EST

You CAN achieve your goals.

Imagine of people heard mp3z and said, "wow! compressed audio! i'll never be able to top that!" Would we have Ogg Vorbis or WMA?

Peace,
Capt. Jean-Luc Pikachu AIM: jeanlucpikachu
Heh (none / 0) (#7)
by fluffy grue on Tue Feb 27, 2001 at 05:15:14 PM EST

But that's not the point. For something to be a dissertation topic, it needs to be novel, and my primary calling was in making a distributed collaborative virtual reality environment which was going to be setup in what seems to be the exact same way as this system is - basically a MUCK-type server holding descriptions and the like, and then the clients would be free to interpret the server-side stuff in whatever way necessary (the server-side stuff would include URIs for object information and such).

There are other things I'm exploring as well, of course, but this announcement takes a HUGE chunk out of the 'novelty' aspect of my ideas. :/
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

that blows =( (none / 0) (#8)
by jeanlucpikachu on Tue Feb 27, 2001 at 10:32:21 PM EST

And I'm sorry to hear it. Good luck finding something for dissertation and defending it.

Peace,
Capt. Jean-Luc Pikachu AIM: jeanlucpikachu
novelty? (none / 0) (#11)
by Eskil Steenberg on Wed Feb 28, 2001 at 03:30:37 AM EST

Well, Its difficult to say what is new or not.

But I do think we have some stuff that is new. We haw Subdivision geometry, programmable shader tree. A reliable UDP protocol, language independent scripting system, and I have newer seen distributed real-time editing of geometry and textures .

Eskil The Verse dev team

You *completely* misunderstood me (none / 0) (#14)
by fluffy grue on Wed Feb 28, 2001 at 02:04:28 PM EST

I wasn't saying that your bit wasn't new. I was saying that now my bit isn't new, now that your bit has been announced. And for what it's worth, your stuff seems a hell of a lot newer than mine was going to be - mine was just a new concept in 3D interfaces, which yours is certainly a superset of.

I'm sorry if you thought I was saying that you guys were just making a derivative work of my research - that has always clearly not been the case.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Ack! (none / 0) (#9)
by Emil Brink on Wed Feb 28, 2001 at 03:16:15 AM EST

He. Sorry about that... I know the feeling, though. Everybody and all their pets are working on networked VR stuff these days, it seems. ;^)
main(O){10<putchar(4^--O?77-(15&5128>>4*O):10)&&main(2+O);}
sorry to hear that (none / 0) (#10)
by Eskil Steenberg on Wed Feb 28, 2001 at 03:22:07 AM EST

Have you downloaded our stuff yet?

It would be nice to get some feed back, since we have been working for so long whiteout telling any sites about it. So what do you think about it? is it something that you could support?

Eskil
The Verse dev team

See my other comment (none / 0) (#15)
by fluffy grue on Wed Feb 28, 2001 at 02:12:32 PM EST

I did NOT mean, in any way, shape or form, that your work is derived from mine. I was also working on my stuff without really telling anyone about it (I only talked about it on my project page, and even then I kept a lot of it wrapped up in some form of secrecy), and it's not like your system being a "rival" system means that I wouldn't support or encourage it. I do still see some differing research directions between our projects, in any case; a lot of what I'm focusing on is keeping the scripting all server-side and keeping the transport client-agnostic - it'll be possible to connect to and interact with a server through any old MUD client (such as telnet :) and where everyone gets the entire situation but it's all interpreted by the client in whatever way is appropriate for the client - for example, someone connecting via MUD client would see, "fluffy picks up apple," whereas someone connecting via a graphical client would see me picking up an apple, and the client would be intelligent enough to apply IK rules and the like. As a side-effect, each individual client wouldn't have the same "perception" of the situation, but that's okay because everyone's in their own relativistic frame anyway, and stuff. :)

So okay, my dissertation doesn't need to feel completely threatened by you guys. ;) It's just that the original announcement of Verse caught me off-guard, as it seemed to be, at first, incredibly similar to what I was working on, but when I think about it more, they have a lot of overlap but there is still quite a bit of orthogonality.

In any case, never did I say that you guys were copying me or anything; you seem to be taking my own lamentation of my project possibly going down the tubes as an attack against yours, when really it was merely lamenting being beaten to the punch. :)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Nevrax's NeL Library (none / 0) (#12)
by Buddha Pow! on Wed Feb 28, 2001 at 06:51:00 AM EST

Anybody interested in this field should also check out NeL, the Nevrax library. It's a GPL set of libs for Massively Online Worlds and there's also plenty code and a working demo (if you can get the source to compile).
L'intelligence c'est comme les parachutes. Quand on n'en a pas, on s'écrase.
Pierre Desproges