Sneak preview of pc gaming?

By rinkjustice in MLP
Thu Mar 22, 2001 at 04:53:50 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

Electronic Arts has an innovative new multiplayer game called Majestic, which utilizes your browser, fax, instant messenger and even cell phone. Players apparantly weave their way through the internet, scouring for clues on real and bogus websites while computer-controlled characters message death threats! This seems to be pushing the boundaries most traditional games have obediently adhered to. Is this a foreshadowing of what gaming will be like in the future? What other pc games (proprietary or open source) utilize many different media and have a truly original concept?

o Electronic Arts
o Majestic
o Also by rinkjustice

Sneak preview of pc gaming? | 17 comments (17 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Can of worms (4.66 / 6) (#1)
by jabber on Thu Mar 22, 2001 at 09:43:51 AM EST

Ok, so say your 14 year old kid plays this game. Say he leaves his beeper in class and goes to the john, and a teacher notices the false death threat..

Kids are getting arrested for paper guns ferchristssakes... This will certainly make the world a much more interesting place.

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

beeper? (none / 0) (#7)
by Seumas on Thu Mar 22, 2001 at 11:49:20 AM EST

Most schools don't even allow beepers. Or cellphones. Or anything that dates after the close of the 19th century.
I just read K5 for the articles.
And it's a good thing too! (5.00 / 1) (#11)
by joto on Thu Mar 22, 2001 at 03:24:40 PM EST

I can only think of one thing more annoying than someone having their cellphone/beeper turned on in class, and that is someone having their cellphone/beeper turned on at the cinema.

beeper! (5.00 / 1) (#13)
by jabber on Thu Mar 22, 2001 at 03:41:21 PM EST

Most schools don't allow guns either. :)

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

What can they collect? (4.40 / 5) (#2)
by sinclair on Thu Mar 22, 2001 at 09:44:41 AM EST

My first thought upon reading this write-up was, "Wow, imagine all the personal data on its players EA can compile!" Then, I follow the link, and find they wanna know your birthdate, just to look at the friggin' Web site. Not good...

privacy nazi? (3.00 / 2) (#6)
by darthaya on Thu Mar 22, 2001 at 11:31:59 AM EST

You don't have to tell them your TRUE birthday if you don't want to. I don't see anything other than a pretensious age control used for the birthday data.

Hitler! (1.15 / 13) (#9)
by Godwin Man on Thu Mar 22, 2001 at 01:27:58 PM EST

This message is to notify you that the use of the phrase 'privacy nazi' has invoked Godwin's Law and brought about the end of the current thread.

No further responses are necessary.

This conversation is over

bah (none / 0) (#10)
by eln on Thu Mar 22, 2001 at 02:23:13 PM EST

As we all know, mentioning Godwin's law negates Godwin's law, and replies to this thread may continue.

Hitler! (1.05 / 18) (#12)
by Godwin Man on Thu Mar 22, 2001 at 03:28:14 PM EST

Absurd! There is no such rule! Perhaps you are thinking of the rule which states that any intentional invocation of Godwin's law to end a thread will not work (which is false, by the way). The rule you have stated is clearly part of your fascist propaganda designed to restrict my free speech, and I shan't let you get away with it!

This conversation is over

Nazi? (4.00 / 1) (#14)
by PresJPolk on Thu Mar 22, 2001 at 05:18:57 PM EST

Nazis were oppressive, forcing their will upon others, and causing harm to others.

Making an observation about possible privacy problems and being vigilant about privacy in general, does not cause harm to others, and certainly does not force one's will upon another.

So, why Nazi?

Nokia game.. (4.50 / 2) (#3)
by Trracer on Thu Mar 22, 2001 at 10:01:17 AM EST

This reminds me of the Nokia game that was so hip last autumn(?) in europe, a nice marketing stunt.
I did not follow the game too closely myself. It consisted of SMS, TV-ads and online games on websites.
So this game by EA doesn't strike me as too innovative.
More info on: www.nokiagame.com

-- Inoshiro är en räksmugglare!
And How Is This Different... (4.00 / 3) (#4)
by greyrat on Thu Mar 22, 2001 at 10:10:20 AM EST

...from day to day usage of the internet right now?

Most people who need to be shot need to be shot soon and a lot. Very few people need to be shot later or just a little.

~ ~ ~
Did I actually read the article? No. No I didn't.
"Watch out for me nobbystyles, Gromit!"

A movie a couple of years ago (4.00 / 2) (#5)
by error 404 on Thu Mar 22, 2001 at 10:32:21 AM EST

There was a movie called "The Game" a few years ago that this kind of reminds me of.

..................................
Electrical banana is bound to be the very next phase
- Donovan

I remember looking into this several months ago (3.00 / 1) (#8)
by ZanThrax on Thu Mar 22, 2001 at 12:50:01 PM EST

after reading an article about it in one of the three main computer gaming mage (don't recall which one), and I still can't imagine why anyone would want to pay someone money to send them weird e-mails, pages, and 3 am phone calls.

Before flying off the handle over the suggestion that your a cocksucker, be sure that you do not, in fact, have a cock in your mouth.

guess it`ll attract the mainstream media though... (none / 0) (#16)
by pallex on Fri Mar 23, 2001 at 05:53:18 AM EST

...you can almost hear CNN`s clumsy cliche-ridden coverage already...

The real cost of cutting edge gaming? (4.00 / 1) (#15)
by rinkjustice on Thu Mar 22, 2001 at 05:27:25 PM EST

Majestic may seem like a dataminers wet dream like sinclair suggested, but I wonder if coughing up personal information is the cost of this immersive and bleeding-edge entertainment. We already disclose information about ourselves everytime we visit a website, like our browser and operating system, the website's referrer or search engine keywords we used and our ip address just for starters. What's wrong with disclosing our cell phone number for a really kickass game? It may be worth it for many gamers and thrill seekers.

Secrets of getting stronger, faster, leaner - ZerotoSuperhero

Windows required? (none / 0) (#17)
by cmeador on Fri Mar 23, 2001 at 04:57:53 PM EST

I like the way this is a computer game, sort of removed from the computer a bit. Mainstream roleplaying games.

But why the hell do you need Windows to watch Real videos and chat on AIM?

I know EA is not Mac friendly, which is fine (a lot of their games use DirectX), but it seems like they have gone out of their way on this one. Is this latent hostility towards non-Windows users, or am I paranoid (before even playing the game)?

peace
Chris

Sneak preview of pc gaming? | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)